PDA

View Full Version : jimmy stevens pretender or the game winning kicker?

85sooners
9/21/2010, 09:51 AM
:pop:

goingoneight
9/21/2010, 10:31 AM
Jimmy's numbers haven't been all that bad, we just refused to stay with him for two reasons... a missed FG against Texas and supposedly he doesn't have the range, though we've never seen him try before outside of a blocked FG against Flarta. Looked good last Saturday, so we'll see.

OUthunder
9/21/2010, 10:40 AM
He looked pretty good to me on Saturday. I say let kick until he messes up on multiple kicks. Missing as many extra points as we have recently is unforgivable.

rawlingsHOH
9/21/2010, 10:52 AM
No one missed more EPs than Hartley.

I like Stevens inside 40ish.

Soonermagik
9/21/2010, 11:39 AM
I would stick with Stevens. O'Hara and his knuckle ball kicks make me nervous.

SoonerJack
9/21/2010, 03:38 PM
^This

badger
9/21/2010, 03:46 PM
if the point of holding stevens out was to make him work harder and to put pressure on his scholly/starting kicker status, mission accomplished. let the kid play till he shows signs of screwing up. he's earned it, with as hard as he's had to work to have a meaningful spot on this team and getting benched in favor of a walk-on that never played much football before.

Go Jimmy!

nighttrain12
9/21/2010, 04:16 PM
Patty won the kicking job fair and square. You shouldn't lose your job just because of a minor injury that will likely be fine by this Saturday's game.

badger
9/21/2010, 04:35 PM
Patty won the kicking job fair and square. You shouldn't lose your job just because of a minor injury that will likely be fine by this Saturday's game.

I think Jimmy earned the job with his in-game performance last week, or at least earned the chance for the competition to be open again. If Patty earns the job back in practice, or at least earns the right to keep it, more power to him.

85sooners
9/21/2010, 05:18 PM
:gary:

CatfishSooner
9/21/2010, 05:21 PM
LITTLE BABY JIMMYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!1

MojoRisen
9/21/2010, 06:14 PM
Not for nothing but he is a block waiting to happen - I like his accuracy inside 40 but his kicks are real low long drive type kicks. Ohara kicks the ball high from the line. I would mix em up jimmy for short kicks and Ohara for longer ones,

BoulderSooner79
9/21/2010, 06:23 PM
I vote for just scoring TDs and deciding on the XP kicker using rock, paper, scissors.

Curly Bill
9/21/2010, 09:01 PM
pretender

birddog
9/21/2010, 09:47 PM
i don't understand how you can miss from inside 40 yards unless you're playin in laramie, wyoming in december.

seriously, OU kickers, TRY HARDER!! it's just not good enough. and i'm not one of those "stupid fat kicker garrett hartley" type guys. i'm a kicker guy...

in august of 1988 i stepped on the field at hefner junior high with the aspirations of becoming the next nick lowery. i was sportin a mean permed mullet, some braces, and a whispy mustache. i was on the field with such greats as ben rutz, trent fisher, jake jensen, and the big cowboy feller, jason guy.

i was 5 foot nothin, 100 and nothin and never played a down of football, but damnit i could kick a 42 yarder in my black high top reeboks as if i WAS nick lowery.
was i bothered that every player on that "8-0 in '88" team had a nice, shiny blue helmet with a big letter H on it, while i got some beaten up, dull navy blue helmet from the 50's with no letter H? no sir, i dominated.

so how can the most bad ace college team in the country have a hard time getting a great (not adequate) kicker?

Curly Bill
9/21/2010, 09:57 PM
Doesn't seem getting a great kicker is a real priority. It puzzles me, but I'm not
an all-knowing D-1 coach so what do I know?

birddog
9/21/2010, 09:58 PM
don't they have like 3 of em on scholly?

Curly Bill
9/21/2010, 09:58 PM
Yeah, but ain't none of em worth a scholly.

SCxxSOONER
9/21/2010, 11:10 PM
I never understood why o'hara replaced jimmy last year, they were both bad if i remember correctly i know patty won the job in practice but jimmy looked better in the game than ohara, just my 2 cents

cccasooner2
9/21/2010, 11:47 PM
Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

Sorry, 12/12/2012 is the end.

LiveLaughLove
9/22/2010, 12:35 AM
Didn't OU just win by 3?

Seems he has already won at least one game.

I like Paddy for his story, but I think Stevens is a little more dependable.

CrimsonRez
9/22/2010, 12:45 AM
i don't understand how you can miss from inside 40 yards unless you're playin in laramie, wyoming in december.

seriously, OU kickers, TRY HARDER!! it's just not good enough. and i'm not one of those "stupid fat kicker garrett hartley" type guys. i'm a kicker guy...

in august of 1988 i stepped on the field at hefner junior high with the aspirations of becoming the next nick lowery. i was sportin a mean permed mullet, some braces, and a whispy mustache. i was on the field with such greats as ben rutz, trent fisher, jake jensen, and the big cowboy feller, jason guy.

i was 5 foot nothin, 100 and nothin and never played a down of football, but damnit i could kick a 42 yarder in my black high top reeboks as if i WAS nick lowery.
was i bothered that every player on that "8-0 in '88" team had a nice, shiny blue helmet with a big letter H on it, while i got some beaten up, dull navy blue helmet from the 50's with no letter H? no sir, i dominated.

so how can the most bad ace college team in the country have a hard time getting a great (not adequate) kicker?

I really hate to bust your bubble, but I guess I will. Theres a little more pressure on the kicker at the University of Oklahoma than there is on the kicker at Hefner Middle School

birddog
9/22/2010, 08:14 AM
I really hate to bust your bubble, but I guess I will. Theres a little more pressure on the kicker at the University of Oklahoma than there is on the kicker at Hefner Middle School

wow.

sooner518
9/22/2010, 08:43 AM
Jimmy's kicks make me really nervous. Even the PATs look like low line drives. Oharas kicks get more height and when be hits it right, they look like a real kicker's kick. Unfortunately he doesn't always hit it right. I don't know the answer and not sure there is one.

Soonerntxs
9/22/2010, 08:44 AM
:D I think I just watched someone just snatch a mullet from a kicker in the 1980's.

ouleaf
9/22/2010, 08:49 AM
Jimmy was pretty clutch when we needed him to be last week. Those were definitely both high pressure kicks that he put through with ease. At this point, i'd say you treat this like NHL goalies come playoff time, you play the one that is hot at the moment. Jimmy looked good, I say go with him.

Mad Dog Madsen
9/22/2010, 08:51 AM
wow.

LMAO! I'll give you some props... 42 yards in jr high isn't too shabby. :D

Bourbon St Sooner
9/22/2010, 08:54 AM

Ru-dy! Ru-dy! Ru-dy!

BoulderSooner79
9/22/2010, 10:27 AM
Jimmy's kicks make me really nervous. Even the PATs look like low line drives. Oharas kicks get more height and when be hits it right, they look like a real kicker's kick. Unfortunately he doesn't always hit it right. I don't know the answer and not sure there is one.

The answer is don't be nervous about things you don't control - try meditation. ;)

badger
9/22/2010, 10:57 AM
Stevens will be kicking versus Cincy as O'Hara's still in injury recovery mode, according to Stoops. Stevens has said that he likes that he'll get to kick again, but realizes that a bad performance could get him ousted a third time from the job.

So... stay tuned this Saturday (not like you wouldn't anyway, hehe). How Stevens kicks will determine who kicks for us for OU-Texas. Two solid games in a row means the job is Jimmy's again, I think we can all agree. A bad Jimmy performance means Patty's got the job again, unless he's still injured.

BoulderSooner79
9/22/2010, 11:03 AM
If O'hara really has a pulled groin muscle, it may take a while to really be ready. Tough injury for a kicker to recover from and very easy to re-injure if they push it.

KantoSooner
9/22/2010, 04:36 PM
Now see? I TOLD those people over at the bio department that I had Uwe's fingernail clippings back in 1980. Did they listen? Did they agree to clone him and then release one copy every 4 years for eternity? Did they? No.

Damn ethicists.

birddog
9/23/2010, 08:58 PM
so, jimmy's back in for this weekend. there's a nice article at the daily ubben website.