PDA

View Full Version : Ronnell Lewis Not 100% in Love With His Role

Mjcpr
9/21/2010, 08:22 AM
OU’s Lewis frustrated with shuffle

NORMAN — After a game in which he didn’t play one defensive snap, a game in which he stood by as his teammates were gashed for a Bob Stoops era-record 351 rushing yards, Oklahoma’s Ronnell Lewis admitted on Monday he’s feeling frustrated.

“A little bit,” he said. “But I’ve got to hold my composure about it and let it happen. Can’t let it get to my head.”

The 6-foot-2, 245-pound sophomore from Dewar is a rarity, an immense physical talent who doesn’t have a true position.

In the spring, he practiced at middle linebacker and strong-side linebacker. When training camp started, he played strong linebacker and defensive end.

Last week, preparing for Air Force’s irrepressible ground game, he worked exclusively at middle linebacker. At practice on Monday, he was back at defensive end.

“I’m bouncing back and forth,” Lewis said. “At times, it gets overwhelming. But I do the best I can.

“It’s been OK. Just trying to work both positions the best I can. I guess they want me to know both.”

Lewis has played mostly defensive end this year, but against Air Force, he was relegated to special teams only. Defensive coordinator and linebackers coach Brent Venables said defending the Falcons’ offense required an extra defensive back in place of a linebacker.

“It’s a much different animal,” Venables said. “It requires you to be very fast, very athletic. ...You have to adjust to all their multiple formations and play in space extremely well. It requires you to be much more fleet of foot than it does strength.”

Lewis practiced at middle linebacker but didn’t play in the game because Venables felt starter Tom Wort had a better handle on the Academy’s offense.

“It starts in the middle with safeties and ’backers, what you’re reading, what your keys are — and it changes,” head coach Bob Stoops said. “It changes from formation to formation and from play to play. It’s very difficult.”

Also, Lewis’ inexperience at defensive end might have made him a liability against such a precision-based scheme, so starters Jeremy Beal and Frank Alexander got most of the work there.

Lewis wasn’t complaining, but he was frank in answering questions about his role. “That’s up to the coaches,” Lewis said. “If they’d have put me in, I’d have went in. I don’t know what really happened, what I did or anything. But it was their decision and I guess whatever they had in mind worked.”

Lewis played almost exclusively on special teams during his freshman year — just his second season playing 11-man football. His first three years at Dewar, the Dragons played eight-man.

Lewis said his favorite position is middle linebacker, but he wouldn’t be averse to moving to defensive end full-time next year after Jeremy Beal’s graduation.
“But that’s speaking (about) next year,” Lewis said. “This is a brand new year and I’m trying to get out there now. That’d be two years down the drain, like, ‘Where did it go? Where was I playing at?’ That’s just gonna be in my mind the whole time. I’m not ready for next year. I want to get out there and show ‘em what I can do this year.”

Lewis was asked if he had a heart-to-heart talk with Venables about his future.

“I haven’t heard nothing,” Lewis said. “None of the coaches approached me about a specific position or nothing like that. So I don’t know where I’m at. I’m kind of lost myself. I’m worried about, ‘Am I gonna be riding this season like last season?’ I don’t really feel like that’s fair for me. But you know, it is what it is.”

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100920_92_0_NORMAN392877

rawlingsHOH
9/21/2010, 08:30 AM
Get better.

Mjcpr
9/21/2010, 08:31 AM
Word. If he had been in there not knowing assignments and whatnot, we could've been gashed by a far less talented offensive team with a huge athletic and size deficiency.

rawlingsHOH
9/21/2010, 08:41 AM
Typical media move. Media builds a guy up, then asks questions about why the guy they put in their stories isn't playing.

gaylordfan1
9/21/2010, 08:47 AM
Man, this is an awkward position the media is putting R. Lewis in. Basically asking him to go against his coaches and verbalize his frustration with the coaches decisions. I love the guy and think he will do great things here. But, I still trust the coaches opinion on whether or not he is ready for the task at hand. There must be a reason he didn't step on the field other than ST.

CBUS_SOONER
9/21/2010, 08:55 AM
Typical media move. Media builds a guy up, then asks questions about why the guy they put in their stories isn't playing.

Sounds like barack:O

fwsooner22
9/21/2010, 08:59 AM
Well he's toast now. That stuff doesn't fly with this staff.

85sooners
9/21/2010, 09:11 AM
:gary:

stoops the eternal pimp
9/21/2010, 09:12 AM
not a good move for him..

primetime43
9/21/2010, 09:18 AM
I'm a little confused. He doesn't play against AF because he isn't ready; yet we give up the most rushing yards in Stoops tenure. So y'all are telling me he would have done worse than the product we had on the field Saturday? I know everyone is high on Wort but he seems to be a little undersized and plus he hasn't really shown me much so far.

yermom
9/21/2010, 09:19 AM
at least it sounds like he's not really questioning them directly, just that he wants to play.

rawlingsHOH
9/21/2010, 09:25 AM
I'm a little confused. He doesn't play against AF because he isn't ready; yet we give up the most rushing yards in Stoops tenure. So y'all are telling me he would have done worse than the product we had on the field Saturday? I know everyone is high on Wort but he seems to be a little undersized and plus he hasn't really shown me much so far.
I would have no problem seeing what he could do, in there for Wort! But most people are saying they wanted both of them on the field together. Presumably, Ronnell at the SAM.

Soonerntxs
9/21/2010, 09:30 AM
Media? Talent? Mouth? OOPS!

1st The media has no place asking a KID! to discuss his view of a coaching decission. If you can't get a headline of substance from the D assignments from Coach V, dont try to get it from the players.

2nd I know we all agree that this KID has talent, but talent and knowledge are 2 birds of a diffrent feather and I have watched as OUr coaches have tried to sub a bit of both during each of the three games. I think he needs to just continue to learn and be patient or go direct to the coach. This is a TRUST issue more than anything!

3rd STFU! DISCIPLINE! IF YOU EVER WANT TO SEE THE FIELD AGAIN! The NFL will never see you on the BENCH! + I'm SORRY TEAM may be the best thing at this point!

4th This all being said, I know this KID has a BIG HEART & that he only wanted to say, I hated not being a part of the D & watching as my team suffered this not so beautiful Victory; however, I think he missed the VICTORY point and now will be running sprints till ALL the coaches get tired!

primetime43
9/21/2010, 09:31 AM
I would like to see the two Lewis's together but what do i know. The coache's seem to love Wort...

StoopTroup
9/21/2010, 09:41 AM
I hope this doesn't turn into a Marcus Dupree thing.

gaylordfan1
9/21/2010, 09:44 AM
It's pretty much a guarantee that his quotes were taken out of context and spun to pin Lewis against the coaches. I'm pretty sure none of these players would go against any of the coaches decisions. At least not verbally to the media.

texaspokieokie
9/21/2010, 09:45 AM
he seems to be nothing like marcus dupree.

OklahomaTuba
9/21/2010, 10:24 AM
I still believe that if someone that Bob Stoops nicknamed "The Hammer" was on the field, AF wouldn't have had 350+ yards rushing.

goingoneight
9/21/2010, 10:25 AM
Anybody who read about his off-season work ethic knows he's not Dupree. So far, I would have to say that it's a combination of two things... scheme and guys ahead of him are understanding where to be/how to play better. He can't be too far off as he's been getting out there and been given opportunities. I guess it's kinda like Jermaine Gresham a few years ago. People were up in arms that he wasn't OUr starter, but he was being out-performed by BOTH guys ahead of him, despite his highlight reel moments catching passes.

TahoeSOONER
9/21/2010, 10:29 AM
It's obvious that he's going to play but Air Force just wasn't a good team to throw him in there with all the misdirection.

I think we see plenty of him the rest of the year.

OklahomaTuba
9/21/2010, 10:41 AM
So how can a guy run down someone on special teams fairly effectively and yet be completely useless against misdirection?

sooneron
9/21/2010, 10:46 AM
Eric Bassey/Reggie Smith

rawlingsHOH
9/21/2010, 10:54 AM
So how can a guy run down someone on special teams fairly effectively and yet be completely useless against misdirection?
That is like saying, how can a kick returner not be a good running back. It is an entirely different position.

rawlingsHOH
9/21/2010, 10:56 AM
Eric Bassey/Reggie Smith
What are... two completely different type of players, who both played multiple positions in the OU secondary, Alex?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/21/2010, 11:01 AM
at least it sounds like he's not really questioning them directly, just that he wants to play.agreed. not a big deal, but "they" would love the controversy and disruption.

badger
9/21/2010, 11:06 AM
Considering all of the rushing yards, I was curious why I wasn't seeing Ronnell's name pop up more (I didn't even realize he wasn't in, heh) but I trust Stoops and the coaches. Ronnell's time will come soon.

TahoeSOONER
9/21/2010, 11:17 AM

With my feeble football knowledge I'm guessing that you kick it to a returner and you hunt him down after shedding a block or two.

At linebacker you have to cover certain positions based on what direction the option is giving you. If they slip a tight end or full back out and you don't cover because they've been pounding the run then it hurts the team.

I'm guessing but it seems they are protecting him from pass plays and they seem want him in there against power running teams that don't have a ton of misdirection.

Trust in Stoops.

MojoRisen
9/21/2010, 11:21 AM
One of the coaches needs to give him a heads up why he didn't play. Venables made it clear that they wanted to play an extra DB against AFU is the reason he did not get in and that he is not up to par with Fank Alexander and Beal at DE. No big deal it was a scheme thing and he didn't fit the game plan. To big of a deal was made of this, takes a simple hey, we are runing a diferent scheme this week to match up. etc

badger
9/21/2010, 11:23 AM
Ronnell would have stopped AF's run so badly, it would have been like The Hammer turned into The Rake:
http://chrisstubbs.com/sideshowbobrake.png

cccasooner2
9/21/2010, 11:41 AM
The argument may be a little like the discussion years ago about Dennison. Dennison, although he looked like a Lehman clone, was a terror on ST but never "got it" at LB (by his own admission).

rawlingsHOH
9/21/2010, 11:46 AM
The argument may be a little like the discussion years ago about Dennison. Dennison, although he looked like a Lehman clone, was a terror on ST but never "got it" at LB (by his own admission).
Surprised Russell the Muscle's name wasn't brought up sooner. The original special teams Rambo. But I didn't want to be the guy who went there! Then I'd really have gotten it.

goingoneight
9/21/2010, 12:00 PM
I talked about the 2006 and 2007 Gresham argument, I'll mention another. Why wasn't Curtis Lofton starting in 2006? Answer: the coaches know why... it has everything to do with scheme and player's development.

rawlingsHOH
9/21/2010, 12:08 PM
I talked about the 2006 and 2007 Gresham argument, I'll mention another. Why wasn't Curtis Lofton starting in 2006? Answer: the coaches know why... it has everything to do with scheme and player's development.
Lofton and Pleasant were kind of alternating starting in 2006, at the SAM. Coaches obviously felt comfortable with the 3 upper classmen, including Rufus and Latimer.

PalmBeachSooner
9/21/2010, 12:19 PM

WTH did Wort do that was so great in the AF game? I'd say the AF FB pretty much owned Wort.

OK2U
9/21/2010, 12:23 PM
Stoops:
Ronnell has missed a lot in spring, summer and two-a-days with some academic issues and an ankle issue.

Rickety_Syd
9/21/2010, 01:06 PM
It's pretty much a guarantee that his quotes were taken out of context and spun to pin Lewis against the coaches. I'm pretty sure none of these players would go against any of the coaches decisions. At least not verbally to the media.

Yep, that was their master plan all along . . .

http://depetris.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/conspiracy.jpg

HBick
9/21/2010, 01:19 PM
Eric Bassey/Reggie Smith

off topic, but reggie had a hell of a game last night for the niners

SoonerLB
9/21/2010, 01:23 PM
I say we move him to running back and let him run over some people!
He gets on the field and gets to hammer anyone that gets in his way! ;)

badger
9/21/2010, 02:25 PM
Stoops responded to the Hammer talks.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100921_92_0_hrimgs50208)

Said Ronnell had a great attitude and just had some injury and academic issues to work through in the offseason that he is just now getting back into the full swing of football.

I agree - it's a wonderful attitude for a player to have to not want to wait and want to get on the field immediately... and it seems he is willing to put in the practice work to get there. He's already shown that he will play any position to get on the field :)

Leroy Lizard
9/21/2010, 02:57 PM
So y'all are telling me he would have done worse than the product we had on the field Saturday?

Yes. We gave up 24 points. We could have given up more.

We won. Barely. We take your advice, we could have lost.

Ask Fresno State what happens when you have personnel on the field against a wishbone attack who are not ready. Northern Illinois put up about 70 points on them and the QB rambled for nearly 300 yards rushing.

It can always get worse.

One more thing: Yeah, we gave up more rushing yards than any time in Stoops' tenure. Sure. But we were playing against the #1 rushing team in the entire freakin' country! Are we really so surprised?!!?!

The arrogance blows me away. Did we really think we were just going to smash 'em on every play? This is an offense designed to tear off huge chunks of yardage, and AF runs it very, very well.

Breadburner
9/21/2010, 02:59 PM
BV cant tackle for them......

Nichols_Hills_Hillbilly
9/21/2010, 03:08 PM
Great discussion. Count me in the camp that thinks we wouldn't have done any worse with Ronnell on the field - AF ran the ball 63 times and passed 14 times. That said, I can certainly understand Stoops' hesitancy in trusting Ronnell against such a discipline team that is so adept at misdirection. I think Bob was protecting against the pass and giving up a big play.

But 351 yards on 63 rushing attempts? I feel like we could have let Ronnell loose every down and dropped a safety back (and gotten better results). I feel like he would have found the ball more often than not and taken out blockers to get there (and possibly created more turnovers). And what a better opponent to give him experience against than a team that was so far physically inferior to OU? If Ronnell was blowing up the backfield every other play it might have single-handedly altered their gameplan. Let the man do what he was bred to do; play to our strengths. Kind of reminds me of the Cowboys' misuse of TRRW. I realize that his game is raw and he has much rounding out to do, but what are we trying to do here? Make him a cover corner?

This level of cautiousness (by the coaching staff) makes me weary... are we playing to win, or to not lose? Sometimes I feel like our players are so overcoached that they are afraid to make mistakes and we end up taking the raw emotion and intensity out of them. I think our recent history of being burnt on big plays speaks to this - when our guys are walking on egg shells, they are more prone to making mistakes.

I'd rather have some good 'ole fashioned SWAGGER.

AzianSooner
9/21/2010, 03:11 PM
Human robots should play better at OU schema now due to the systematic and rules that coaches instill in each players.

Leroy Lizard
9/21/2010, 03:12 PM
Yep, that was their master plan all along . . .

RS, you don't know how this works. The newspaper editor is going to call a journalist in the office and tell him, "I hear that there are some grumblings going on with Ronnell Lewis. I would check into it."

Translation: Get the story!

If you come back with, "Well, I checked into it and there wasn't much there," then you didn't do your job. Your job was to get the story. What's your headline going to read? "Not much happening with Ronnell Lewis"? And if you have failed to come up with anything juicy over a span of a week or two, plan on packing.

Switzer found this out the hard way with Marcus Dupree.

Leroy Lizard
9/21/2010, 03:19 PM
But 351 yards on 63 rushing attempts? I feel like we could have let Ronnell loose every down...

And that is exactly what AF wanted.

As I said before, ask Fresno State. For all you boneheads who think it couldn't have gotten any worse, check this out:

Fresno State, a Div 1A school ranked in the Top-25, is playing Northern Illinois, a Div 1AA school.

QB Stacey Robinson of NIU had 308 yards rushing and 5 TDs.

Yes, read that again: 308 yards rushing and 5 TDs!

Fresno State gave up 806 yards of total offense, and only held it that low because NIU called off the dogs.

Final score: 73-18.

Quote of the year: ""I thought I was in Norman, OK." -- FSU coach Jim Sweeney. "

The wishbone is nasty. We held AF to 24 points and won! With Ronnell Lewis in there, we could have easily lost.

So don't think for a moment it couldn't have got worse. No matter how bad things are, it can always get worse.

Nichols_Hills_Hillbilly
9/21/2010, 03:21 PM
OUr defense is a far cry from that of Fresno State... not exactly a linear comparison.

Leroy Lizard
9/21/2010, 03:24 PM
OUr defense is a far cry from that of Fresno State... not exactly a linear comparison.

Yeah, but we weren't playing Northern Illinois either! Did you think of that?

Nichols_Hills_Hillbilly
9/21/2010, 03:26 PM
I still feel like we sort of stood there and let them do what they were going to do, then tried to contain it - rather than hunting them down like dogs.

Again, are we playing to win or to not lose?

Leroy Lizard
9/21/2010, 03:30 PM
I still feel like we sort of stood there and let them do what they were going to do, then tried to contain it - rather than hunting them down like dogs.

You can't hunt them down like dogs when defending the wishbone. It's designed to take advantage of that.

In fact, Fresno State was criticized for "chasing the ball" when they played NIU.

There is no secret in defending the wishbone. Every coach knows how to do it. Doing it is another matter.

Oh, putting players out there that are known as headhunters is probably not a good idea.

SoonerPr8r
9/21/2010, 03:33 PM

Again, are we playing to win or to not lose?

Offenses like that feast on defenses that over-peruse and are extremely aggressive.

CrimsonCommando
9/21/2010, 03:34 PM
“Well, Katie was, Katie was a girl. And not only was she a girl, she was terrible. OK, and there is no other way to say it, she couldn't kick the ball through the uprights." -

Gary Barnett

Leroy Lizard
9/21/2010, 03:36 PM
Offenses like that feast on defenses that over-peruse and are extremely aggressive.

Over-perusing is never a problem, especially when dealing with the NCAA rule book.

rawlingsHOH
9/21/2010, 03:38 PM
You never over blitz a triple-option based offense. They will light you up!

Soonermagik
9/21/2010, 03:42 PM
I've said this before, but he has had problems picking up the schemes. I personally know a coach on the staff who has told me this. I will not mention this person's name, so please don't PM me asking for it. If you don't believe me that's your choice.

They feel that he's an incredible athlete with a lot of speed and power. However, he struggles in assignment football. Defending the option is all about assignment football. If he misses his guy you may be looking at 7 points. They didn't want to risk that. I'm sure he will see the field again, but they couldn't roll the dice against Air Force where one blown assignment could cost them the game.

stoopified
9/21/2010, 03:51 PM
While i admit to having grave concerns about OUr run defense after the AF landrun , however I don't think Ronnell would have made a difference.Bob has repeatedly said that THE HAMMER is still a raw talent,lacking a full grasp of the defensive playbook.In fact Bob said that due to academic and injury issues Lewis has missed prep time over the winter,spring,summer which has hampered his development.Bob made this statement at today's presser.

oudavid1
9/21/2010, 03:52 PM
So hes not happy and not in his cage......unleash him on Gilbert.

SICK EM BOY!!!!

prrriiide
9/21/2010, 03:55 PM
Holding him back for the :texan: game.

http://www.theiphoneguru.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/its-a-trap.jpg

Guys...think about it...the kid had ONE SEASON of 11-man football before coming to OU. 8-man isn't as assignment heavy as 11-man. Of COURSE he's going to have a harder time adjusting to the schemes. He hasn't had the benefit of 5-7 more years' experience in 11-man ball that every other guy on the team has had. I think he's doing a helluva job to get to where he's at, and it speaks volumes of just how highly the coaches regard him and his POTENTIAL that he's seen the field AT ALL in his first two years.

Leroy Lizard
9/21/2010, 03:56 PM
While i admit to having grave concerns about OUr run defense after the AF landrun , however I don't think Ronnell would have made a difference.Bob has repeatedly said that THE HAMMER is still a raw talent,lacking a full grasp of the defensive playbook.In fact Bob said that due to academic and injury issues Lewis has missed prep time over the winter,spring,summer which has hampered his development.Bob made this statement at today's presser.

If BV didn't think Ronnell was the best option, then he wasn't the best option.

The coaching staff knows best.

Nichols_Hills_Hillbilly
9/21/2010, 03:58 PM
I see your point clearly, Leroy, and it is very valid. It kind of becomes a chicken/egg argument, though. Yes, that offense is designed to get defenses to chase the misdirection, etc. But what do you do? Just let them have their way because you're so worried about being burned? At some point the defense needs to take calculated risk as well.

I feel that with the physical talent advantage that OU had over AF, they could have afforded more risk... and that risk might have actually yielded a better result.

Besides the point... OUr defensive line should have been knocking them off the ball in the first place... but like the announcers kept saying, the undersized guys just dive for ankles.

noobalicious
9/21/2010, 04:05 PM
Oh FFS, why does there always have to be controversy? We play the best running team in the country and didn't completely shut them down. Because they're from "a bad conference", everyone freaks out and assumes Ronnell Lewis would have done better.

Excuse me, I'm going to go enjoy being 3-0 and trust that this coaching staff has about 5000% more experience making decisions like this than me.

Leroy Lizard
9/21/2010, 04:05 PM
I see your point clearly, Leroy, and it is very valid. It kind of becomes a chicken/egg argument, though. Yes, that offense is designed to get defenses to chase the misdirection, etc. But what do you do? Just let them have their way because you're so worried about being burned? At some point the defense needs to take calculated risk as well.

Yeah, when you're behind and things look really bleak.

I feel that with the physical talent advantage that OU had over AF, they could have afforded more risk... and that risk might have actually yielded a better result.

Again, that is what AF was praying for. They want the defense to get frustrated and start chasing the ball.

You need to maintain composure, keep the ball in front of you, and wait for a mistake, like a penalty or turnover.

Besides the point... OUr defensive line should have been knocking them off the ball in the first place... but like the announcers kept saying, the undersized guys just dive for ankles.

OL blocking for the bone is designed to get in the way of the defender for just a few seconds. This is how the smaller teams win using it.

Believe me, OU is not the first team with better players to struggle against the wishbone. It can make you look uncoached and untalented.

But we won anyway. And that is all that really matters.

Nichols_Hills_Hillbilly
9/21/2010, 04:30 PM
Again, great points.

My only refute would be taking calculated risks, like sending only Ronnell, and making the rest of the defense stay home.

No arguments about winning, though!

Leroy Lizard
9/21/2010, 04:40 PM
Again, great points.

My only refute would be taking calculated risks, like sending only Ronnell, and making the rest of the defense stay home.

I think we have become enamored with Lewis' hitting ability. But Lewis can hit them as hard as he wants and it isn't going to stop them from scoring.

We faced Lawrence Taylor in 1981 and ran right over him. Even then he was known as a nasty hitter, but the importance of that is exaggerated. Just tackle well; that's all I ask.

And I'm not sure how you turn a player loose when facing a wishbone. So Lewis goes on a free tear, but what happens to the man he was assigned to defend?

Leroy Lizard
9/21/2010, 04:42 PM
BTW, if we were facing the wishbone next week, I could understand the concern. But we're not. And we won. So why is everyone so worked up?

Frankly, I don't care if Lewis saw the field. That's his problem and it's up to him to do something about it. The fans shouldn't care one way or the other as long as we continue to win.

rawlingsHOH
9/21/2010, 04:48 PM
Again, great points.

No arguments about winning, though!

I think you've watched the Water Boy one time too many.

Nichols_Hills_Hillbilly
9/21/2010, 05:08 PM
I think you've watched the Water Boy one time too many.

Perhaps, but I've also watched OUr D play tentatively too many times in recent memory and it's frustrating.

I hear all of you about the great importance of not over-pursuing the ball against a wishbone; but I am also suggesting that there is a definite place for taking calculated shots... otherwise, you're just on your heels the entire time.

starclassic tama
9/21/2010, 05:10 PM
yeah no kidding... i love how the solutions to our problems are so simple and readily apparent to message boarders but our coaches can't figure them out? give me a break. it's simple people, ronnell lewis isn't ready to play big time minutes on defense yet, especially linebacker. the only reason he has played at all on defense is because he is such a physical force that they want to get him on the field somehow... i'd be shocked if he isn't a starting DE next year

badger
9/21/2010, 05:17 PM
Next Jenni Carlson column: "Ronnell Lewis is the best hitter on defense BUT..."

except nothing will get Stoops to rant like Gundy.

Leroy Lizard
9/21/2010, 06:31 PM
The media now knows they can pit Ronnell against his coach. They will feed Ronnell's ego to get him to complain more:

"Ronnell, the sporting world knows you're a major league hitter who has really impressed. Are you content with sitting on the sidelines while your teammates get all the playing time? Do you think this coaching staff is hurting your chance at getting in the pros?"

Then they will run to the coach and ask him how he can tolerate having such a malcontent on his team.

"Coach Stoops. Ronnell has been openly complaining about his lack of playing time. Do you plan to give him more playing time to keep him happy? What if he threatens to transfer?"

Blood in the water.

Rickety_Syd
9/21/2010, 06:35 PM
Right now, Ronnell Lewis is good at one thing and one thing only: running down the field as fast as he can and hitting someone so hard that they have a heart attack and three strokes.

Just be happy with that. Playing defense is more than just running around like an animal and killing people and since the coaches are the ones that work with him every day, I trust that they'll know when he's ready to be a full-time starter.

Leroy Lizard
9/21/2010, 06:38 PM
Right now, Ronnell Lewis is good at one thing and one thing only: running down the field as fast as he can and hitting someone so hard that they have a heart attack and three strokes.

Just be happy with that. Playing defense is more than just running around like an animal and killing people and since the coaches are the ones that work with him every day, I trust that they'll know when he's ready to be a full-time starter.

Remember him?

http://www.superbowl3.net/curtis.jpg

Ronnell can be a good player, but he needs to play like a highly coached individual.

adoniijahsooner
9/21/2010, 06:44 PM
Ok, lets not turn Ronnell into some dummy who only knocks his head against the wall. The coaches make the decsions, but at the same time Stoops and Venables have applauded the young man's work ethic and attitude. The reason they are even working him in at DE, is due to the fact that they know he needs a spot on the field, and he has played this year. With that said, If you watched the game at all; then you know that the linebackers were very winded and worn down in the fourth quarter, and AF was running all over us anyway. So why not at least spell these guys with a fresh Ronnell, Franklin, or Bird?

Leroy Lizard
9/21/2010, 06:48 PM
Ok, lets not turn Ronnell into some dummy who only knocks his head against the wall. The coaches make the decsions, but at the same time Stoops and Venables have applauded the young man's work ethic and attitude. The reason they are even working him in at DE, is due to the fact that they know he needs a spot on the field, and he has played this year. With that said, If you watched the game at all; then you know that the linebackers were very winded and worn down in the fourth quarter, and AF was running all over us anyway. So why not at least spell these guys with a fresh Ronnell, Franklin, or Bird?

Because we were still ahead?

And we won. So it looks like the coaches made a wise decision.

But I agree that we are perhaps shortselling Ronnell. But some of this is a reaction to the hype experienced on this board throughout the summer.

adoniijahsooner
9/21/2010, 07:22 PM
Because we were still ahead?

And we won. So it looks like the coaches made a wise decision.

But I agree that we are perhaps shortselling Ronnell. But some of this is a reaction to the hype experienced on this board throughout the summer.

I just hope he becomes the player we think he can be.

goingoneight
9/21/2010, 07:24 PM
OUr guys might have been tired or "gassed" as some call it, but the last thing we needed that team to do is break off a couple of quick-scoring drives. We were in position most of the time and just broke down eventually due to fatigue. That's where the team learns a thing or two about how hard they need to work to get in better shape to go four quarters. You put a bunch of twos and threes in, you may not necessarily A: have a chance at forcing a turnover. or B: stop them at all.

With said 27-10 lead, I would hope that OUr defense doesn't give up 21 straight points OSU-style with the way OUr offense was playing. I'd rather them earn their yards they clearly were going to get.

BoulderSooner79
9/21/2010, 07:30 PM
With said 27-10 lead, I would hope that OUr defense doesn't give up 21 straight points OSU-style with the way OUr offense was playing. I'd rather them earn their yards they clearly were going to get.

The offense thing was what got me. Zero 4th quarter points while AFA was making a run. One more score from us, and the game is effectively out of reach and they should not have been able to match-up with our skill players.

Chiliman
9/21/2010, 07:38 PM
I still can't believe that interview. I've been following OU football religiously for 50 years and I don't recall a player expressing his frustrations in this fashion. I'm sure there have been hundreds of players who have been equally frustrated. I'm shocked the staff let him do the interview and it will be interesting what happens from this point forward.

I have membership on a couple of other sites and the discussion here has been the most level headed by far. With Ronnell's immense physical talent, I'm sure the staff would love for him to seize the MLB position. People seem to ignore that he has gotten hundreds of reps @ MLB since he's been on campus. He obviously has struggled picking up the defense. Furthermore, MLB is the most challenging position in our defense. The physical and mental demands are tremendous. BV is perfectionist and he has never tolerated mental busts. Wort has to be driving him crazy, notwithstanding his public comments. After all, BV has publicly referred to Austin Box as his "security blanket".

I've heard about the academic struggles so I'm glad Bob addressed this. It is my understanding that the young man has been on the edge of elgibility on a
couple of occasions. However, he seems to be a good kid just expressing his emotions. Him being asked these questions is due in large part to the media making him a larger than life figure. Also, it seems so logical that the staff putting him @ DE is best for the team and him. It may get him on the field and @ position he could excel @, both physically and mentally.

Breadburner
9/21/2010, 07:45 PM
DE is a position one can play like an un-chained mad man......

soonerborn30
9/21/2010, 09:15 PM
I hate to say this, but this all sounds like an intelligence issue. He's not picking up the defense, he's having eligibility issues. Hopefully he can get it figured out both on the field and off, he's a lot of fun to watch.

delhalew
9/21/2010, 10:43 PM
Judging from the amount of time Stoops said he has missed in the spring and two a days, it should not be surprising that he is not quite ready.
I doubt he is not bright enough, but he will have to make academics more of a priority and be solid for Stoops to trust him.

soonerborn30
9/21/2010, 11:26 PM
I just hope he realizes that and sticks with it. I'd hate to see him transfer because some scumbag gets in his ear and starts telling him..."you'd play right away if you'd transfer to ____"

Rickety_Syd
9/22/2010, 12:44 AM
I still can't believe that interview. I've been following OU football religiously for 50 years and I don't recall a player expressing his frustrations in this fashion. I'm sure there have been hundreds of players who have been equally frustrated. I'm shocked the staff let him do the interview and it will be interesting what happens from this point forward.

I have membership on a couple of other sites and the discussion here has been the most level headed by far. With Ronnell's immense physical talent, I'm sure the staff would love for him to seize the MLB position. People seem to ignore that he has gotten hundreds of reps @ MLB since he's been on campus. He obviously has struggled picking up the defense. Furthermore, MLB is the most challenging position in our defense. The physical and mental demands are tremendous. BV is perfectionist and he has never tolerated mental busts. Wort has to be driving him crazy, notwithstanding his public comments. After all, BV has publicly referred to Austin Box as his "security blanket".

I've heard about the academic struggles so I'm glad Bob addressed this. It is my understanding that the young man has been on the edge of elgibility on a
couple of occasions. However, he seems to be a good kid just expressing his emotions. Him being asked these questions is due in large part to the media making him a larger than life figure. Also, it seems so logical that the staff putting him @ DE is best for the team and him. It may get him on the field and @ position he could excel @, both physically and mentally.

Again with the media.
Maybe I missed it, but when did the media make Lewis out to be "larger than life." All I've ever read is what we've all seen on the field and what the coaches have already stated, that the dude is a ferocious hitter. It gets people's attention, but I don't remember anyone in the media saying that Ronnell Lewis is going to be the next Dick Butkus.

oudavid1
9/22/2010, 01:05 AM
The media loved his big hits.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/22/2010, 08:47 AM
The coaches are the ones who raved to the media about how allsome he is...

BoulderSooner79
9/22/2010, 09:53 AM
Kid wants to play - that's a good thing. But if classroom issues kept him off the practice field, he only has to look in the mirror to find the culprit.

badger
9/22/2010, 10:46 AM
The coaches are the ones who raved to the media about how allsome he is...

Exactly. The media did not nickname him "The Hammer." Bob Stoops himself did. The media did not put words in Hammer's mouth when he said he wanted to get on the field more. The media did not put words into Stoops' mouth when he said that Hammer had classroom and injury issues.

And again, I don't see the problem with a player saying that he wants to get on the field more and is upset that he isn't. Having players driven by their desire to get out there and help their team rather than sit on the sidelines in their expensive Nike gear and have their education paid for is what we want out of players that come to OU.

The best part is that Ronnell seems to have his priorities in order now, seeing that he's practicing again and seeing the field (even if it's not as often as we'd all - Hammer included - liked last Saturday).

On top of that, we were all asking WTF when we didn't see Hammer out on defense, so the media answered our question. What's not to love here? Hammer is driven to play more, Stoops said he will after he gets more practice snaps after getting better in the classroom and health-wise, and we get media to get our questions answered!

And don't you just love that Stoops values player's educations? bet it keeps their off-field issues in check a lot better too :)

Leroy Lizard
9/22/2010, 11:24 AM
Exactly. The media did not nickname him "The Hammer." Bob Stoops himself did. The media did not put words in Hammer's mouth when he said he wanted to get on the field more. The media did not put words into Stoops' mouth when he said that Hammer had classroom and injury issues.

And again, I don't see the problem with a player saying that he wants to get on the field more and is upset that he isn't. Having players driven by their desire to get out there and help their team rather than sit on the sidelines in their expensive Nike gear and have their education paid for is what we want out of players that come to OU.

The best part is that Ronnell seems to have his priorities in order now, seeing that he's practicing again and seeing the field (even if it's not as often as we'd all - Hammer included - liked last Saturday).

On top of that, we were all asking WTF when we didn't see Hammer out on defense, so the media answered our question. What's not to love here? Hammer is driven to play more, Stoops said he will after he gets more practice snaps after getting better in the classroom and health-wise, and we get media to get our questions answered!

And don't you just love that Stoops values player's educations? bet it keeps their off-field issues in check a lot better too :)

That is very positive spin. And i hope it holds true. But if Ronnell keeps talking to the media about how disappointed he is that the coaches won't play him, then watch out.

I think Ronnell should just keep his mouth shut. Talking to the media isn't going to improve his chances of seeing the field, make him a better player, or improve his grades.

soonerborn30
9/22/2010, 01:30 PM
I'd be willing to bet there's a media embargo on a certain #56 for a good while.

badger
9/22/2010, 01:40 PM
I'd be willing to bet there's a media embargo on a certain #56 for a good while.

Meh, if he has a big game he'll have his big moment, like Allen Patrick did when he stepped in for AD's collarbone.

soonerborn30
9/22/2010, 01:54 PM
true dat. I was more thinking while he's not getting a whole lot of burn.

Chiliman
9/22/2010, 01:58 PM

No question.

Leroy Lizard
9/22/2010, 03:30 PM
Does Stoops do the embargo thing?

badger
9/22/2010, 04:27 PM
Does Stoops do the embargo thing?

I think he did for a certain lineman a few years back :D