PDA

View Full Version : Gameday Vendors

yukonsooner
9/20/2010, 02:10 PM
Has anyone else had an issue with the vendors? The first game I gave them 4 dollars for a water and the said "man I just gave out my last change," so I said it's ok this time. However, the next two games they were actually saying the water was $3.50 and they would like a tip. I just couldn't believe that. It ticks me off that they are getting $84 for a case of water that they probably paid less than $5 for and then they ask for a tip. I know the guys that are selling aren't getting the $84 dollars, but asking for a tip or "not having change" is like extortion. Just venting.

Crucifax Autumn
9/20/2010, 02:11 PM
Are they as bad as IHOP waitresses?

yukonsooner
9/20/2010, 02:16 PM
Worse. At least at IHOP I can leave and get something somewhere else, but at Gaylord Family Memorial Stadium if I don't want to fall out from the heat and dehydration I have to purchase water from them. I checked prohibited items at Paul Brown Stadium and they actually allow unopened bottles of water into the stadium. What a novel idea!

Crucifax Autumn
9/20/2010, 02:17 PM
Sorry...just remembering one of the more recent SicEm stories.

cdlbdd
9/20/2010, 02:20 PM
Worse. At least at IHOP I can leave and get something somewhere else, but at Gaylord Family Memorial Stadium if I don't want to fall out from the heat and dehydration I have to purchase water from them. I checked prohibited items at Paul Brown Stadium and they actually allow unopened bottles of water into the stadium. What a novel idea!

I always take an empty water bottle in with me. Just a suggestion if you want to avoid paying for water at the game.

badger
9/20/2010, 02:22 PM
Meh, being a student means being broke and every penny matters. Feel extorted by the university, not by the poor teen trying to make Billy Bursar get off his back.

Protip: Buy water in bulk for yourself any everyone around you. That way, the next time someone makes a food/drink run, you can ask them to bring you something back without worrying about missing anymore game. Plus, if you buy four waters instead of one, there's less chance of getting asked for a 50 cent tip if that really bothers you :)

yukonsooner
9/20/2010, 02:24 PM
I always take an empty water bottle in with me. Just a suggestion if you want to avoid paying for water at the game.

Ok, I've done that, but I really don't like drinking room temp water, especially when the room temp is 95.

yukonsooner
9/20/2010, 02:28 PM
[QUOTE=badger;2958163]Meh, being a student means being broke and every penny matters. Feel extorted by the university, not by the poor teen trying to make Billy Bursar get off his back.

If it was a teen (or a student) it would be one thing, but these are grown men, making comments like I'm married and my wife keeps all my money. My son is a student so I know about being a broke student. That didn't stop them from asking him for a tip too.

texaspokieokie
i have an aisle seat & very often they stop on or very near my seat. it causes a big traffic jam & lotsa folks standing in the way.

he one of them also played the $.50 trick on me; i let him keep it to get him to leave sooner.

at least we shouldn't have the heat problem for the rest of this season.

Mississippi Sooner

They allow unopened water bottles at Mississippi State, too. Of course, they also allow you take in small backpacks.

Can't tell you how many times I've sipped vodka from a "water" bottle up there while watching the Dogs get their tails kicked.

fadada1
you know, i read somewhere that the faucet in your house supplies water for nearly free. in some places too, it has flouride - which is good for your teeth... or so i'm told.

fwsooner22
9/20/2010, 02:31 PM
Bought a case of water at Walgreens today for $2.47.

Crucifax Autumn
9/20/2010, 02:34 PM
That's wonderful if you live close enought o run a hose from your house to the stadium.

yermom
9/20/2010, 02:34 PM
ever drank stadium water? you can't even bring a bottle with ice cubes in it. :rolleyes:

water bottles are less than $.25 a piece from Walmart retail

$1 is pretty expensive, but $3.50 is extortion, especially if you can't bring your own.

texaspokieokie
9/20/2010, 02:37 PM
you know, i read somewhere that the faucet in your house supplies water for nearly free. in some places too, it has flouride - which is good for your teeth... or so i'm told.

we have complained about the price of gasoline when it was $4/gal, but buy water for $3.50 per pint.

the label on the container costs more than the water.

badger
9/20/2010, 02:53 PM
ever drank stadium water? you can't even bring a bottle with ice cubes in it. :rolleyes:

$1 is pretty expensive, but $3.50 is extortion, especially if you can't bring your own.

OU's gotta keep the football team winning somehow :D

Crucifax Autumn
9/20/2010, 02:57 PM
If you guys would just fill your humps before the game this wouldn't be a problem.

fadada1
9/20/2010, 03:02 PM
we have complained about the price of gasoline when it was $4/gal, but buy water for $3.50 per pint.

the label on the container costs more than the water.

see, somebody gets it.:D

C&CDean
9/20/2010, 03:02 PM
Me and Bruce don't bitch about the price of agua cause we can afford that ****.

fadada1
9/20/2010, 03:06 PM
That's wonderful if you live close enought o run a hose from your house to the stadium.

eh, what do you know.... same stuff comes outa o'connells faucets.;)

yukonsooner
9/20/2010, 03:08 PM

.....and this helps me on game day how???????

bent rider
9/20/2010, 03:15 PM

here's the breakdown of that $3.50...
5 cents for the water (would have been 6 cents if that utility rate increase vote would have passed)
10 cents for the bottle
5 cents for the label
20 cents for dumping fee for stadium trash at the landfill
50 cent royalty to OU athletics for using the paperclip logo on the label
$1.00 for wages of the water guy
$0.30 for taxes, medicare and SSN employer contribution
$1.30 for heath care insurance premiums for the water guy

yukonsooner
9/20/2010, 03:17 PM
here's the breakdown of that $3.50...
5 cents for the water (would have been 6 cents if that utility rate increase vote would have passed)
10 cents for the bottle
5 cents for the label
20 cents for dumping fee for stadium trash at the landfill
50 cent royalty to OU athletics for using the paperclip logo on the label
$1.00 for wages of the water guy
$0.30 for taxes, medicaid and SSN employer contribution
$1.30 for heath care premiums for the water guy

They get health care? Then they for sure don't need a tip from me.

bent rider
9/20/2010, 03:21 PM

If you had kept your tin-foil hat on like you's supposed-to, you would not have heard that gummerment propaganda about the flouride.

fadada1
9/20/2010, 03:24 PM
If you had kept your tin-foil hat on like you's supposed-to, you would not have heard that gummerment propaganda about the flouride.

... and did you see the electrical wires running across the moon-landing footage. no way that was real.

btb916
9/20/2010, 04:52 PM
Has anyone else had an issue with the vendors? The first game I gave them 4 dollars for a water and the said "man I just gave out my last change," so I said it's ok this time. However, the next two games they were actually saying the water was $3.50 and they would like a tip. I just couldn't believe that. It ticks me off that they are getting $84 for a case of water that they probably paid less than $5 for and then they ask for a tip. I know the guys that are selling aren't getting the $84 dollars, but asking for a tip or "not having change" is like extortion. Just venting.

One of them couldn't count change. I asked for two waters, gave him a twenty, and he gave us six bucks back! He sheepishly said 'my bad' when I pointed this out.

StoopTroup
9/20/2010, 04:58 PM
I played golf on the Moon last week. It was a tad cold but I tell ya....don't be fooled by the cold....you better have a good sunscreen on.

yukonsooner
9/20/2010, 05:54 PM
One of them couldn't count change. I asked for two waters, gave him a twenty, and he gave us six bucks back! He sheepishly said 'my bad' when I pointed this out.

From what I've seen of the vendors lately I would question if it was an accident. You know if he would have given you 8 dollars back you might not have noticed getting a 5 instead of a 10.

sooner59
9/20/2010, 07:40 PM
At the Florida State game, a girl standing next to me took an empty bottle to fill up at the fountain and the fountain was shut off. She didn't wander around the stadium looking for functioning fountains, she just bought another bottle. I don't know how many at the stadium were not functioning that VERY HOT day, but at least one wasn't. That should unacceptable on a hot day like that. Charging $3.50 for water and not having functioning fountains at a hot day game could get the university in trouble if somebody has a heat stroke.

yukonsooner
9/20/2010, 09:58 PM
Do any of you know the rules for the other Big XII schools regarding bringing water into their stadiums?

King Barry's Back
9/20/2010, 10:17 PM
I don't get to go to many games at Owen Field anymore, but when I did go they would have never allowed the vendors to get away with such behavior.

If this "tipping" behavior is as widespread as it appears here, there's a real problem. All of you with complaints should send messages to Joe C. At least we'd find out if he was looking the other way on it.

As far as the $3.50 water -- ouch! Stadiums today have just become machines designed to vacuum money from the pockets of the fans. Even if you could get free tickets to most major sporting events today, from the moment your car gets close to the stadium until you escape at the end, there's a hand in your pocket.

sooner59
9/20/2010, 10:17 PM
In Stoolwater, they just drink from the toilet, so there are no issues.

yermom
9/20/2010, 10:46 PM
I don't get to go to many games at Owen Field anymore, but when I did go they would have never allowed the vendors to get away with such behavior.

If this "tipping" behavior is as widespread as it appears here, there's a real problem. All of you with complaints should send messages to Joe C. At least we'd find out if he was looking the other way on it.

As far as the $3.50 water -- ouch! Stadiums today have just become machines designed to vacuum money from the pockets of the fans. Even if you could get free tickets to most major sporting events today, from the moment your car gets close to the stadium until you escape at the end, there's a hand in your pocket.

you ain't kidding. i've seen signs for $30 parking. ridiculous.

for ~$80 a ticket, that should come with a couple cocktails!

btk108
9/20/2010, 10:52 PM
I played golf on the Moon last week. It was a tad cold but I tell ya....don't be fooled by the cold....you better have a good sunscreen on.

Bet you were in the bunker the whole time.

proudsoonergal
9/21/2010, 12:18 AM
Do any of you know the rules for the other Big XII schools regarding bringing water into their stadiums?

Texas doesn't allow stuff to be brought into DKR. Of course, they have a freakin' Starbucks in the north endzone.

yermom
9/21/2010, 12:25 AM
i've been to all of them other than DKR, and i don't really remember any of the others being as strict, but it's usually later in the season for those games, and not really an issue. i also don't really remember anyone else not allowing re-entry, but i don't think i've actually left at halftime other than in Lubbock

Soonergrad2002
9/21/2010, 10:30 AM
I have found that the vendors will refill a cup with ice. I saw a lady with a Sonic cup, so they must allow you to bring empty cups in. If not, I suck it up and buy a drink, then have it refilled with ice a couple of times.

yukonsooner
9/21/2010, 06:21 PM
Heard a rumor today that a vendor was arrested during half-time for some type of illegal activity, but I don't know how to verify this.

texaspokieokie
9/22/2010, 08:41 AM
those guys on days like AFA & FSU gaMES WORK THEIR BUTTS OFF.

olevetonahill
9/22/2010, 08:46 AM
Hells bells peeps . If ya gonna pay 3.50 fer a 25cent bottle of ****ing water . Give the Kid toting that shat 50 cent extry . Hell it aint gonna break ya . If it is . Then ya dont need to be there in the 1st place:rolleyes:

yukonsooner
9/22/2010, 11:41 AM
Hells bells peeps . If ya gonna pay 3.50 fer a 25cent bottle of ****ing water . Give the Kid toting that shat 50 cent extry . Hell it aint gonna break ya . If it is . Then ya dont need to be there in the 1st place:rolleyes:

That's the deal - IT'S NOT KIDS - if it were the kids they used to have, you know working for their organizations or just kids making extra money it would be different. These are grown men that are working for Aramark. Yes, I can afford a 50 cent tip, and I do tip generously when I receive good service. I even tip at Sonic. That being said, if you go to the movies and buy a bag of popcorn and a coke and the person behind the counter says, "That will be $7.50, or make that $8 and that way you can give me a 50 cent tip." how would you feel about that?? The difference is YOU DON'T ASK FOR A TIP or pretend you don't have the correct change.

Pricetag
9/22/2010, 11:48 AM
In Stoolwater, they just drink from the toilet, so there are no issues.
They're by far the nicest toilets in the country,though.

olevetonahill
9/22/2010, 11:53 AM
That's the deal - IT'S NOT KIDS - if it were the kids they used to have, you know working for their organizations or just kids making extra money it would be different. These are grown men that are working for Aramark. Yes, I can afford a 50 cent tip, and I do tip generously when I receive good service. I even tip at Sonic. That being said, if you go to the movies and buy a bag of popcorn and a coke and the person behind the counter says, "That will be $7.50, or make that $8 and that way you can give me a 50 cent tip." how would you feel about that?? The difference is YOU DON'T ASK FOR A TIP or pretend you don't have the correct change.

I DGAS what ya do. Me if ima gonna pay the 3.50 then Ill just give 4 Who cares.If its that big a deal to YOU then Make sure YOU have the correct change:rolleyes:
Oh and yer analogy of the Movies and the Ball game aint gonna werk with me, Cause at the Movies I got to walk MYFATASS up there and get my drink and popcorn. At the Game they bring it to Me

StoopTroup
9/22/2010, 12:39 PM
Who gives a crap who it is?

If they tote that crap up to you on the 60th row....you probably ought to give them $10.

olevetonahill
9/22/2010, 12:41 PM

If they tote that crap up to you on the 60th row....you probably ought to give them $10.

Yup

yermom
9/22/2010, 01:45 PM
if it was cheaper downstairs, i might agree

badger
9/22/2010, 01:47 PM

at least with pizza delivery, you can stiff the delivery boy by saying that the car did all of the work :D

(not that I'd ever do that, or suddenly we'd never be able to get pizza delivered ever again)

yukonsooner
9/22/2010, 01:49 PM
I DGAS what ya do. Me if ima gonna pay the 3.50 then Ill just give 4 Who cares.If its that big a deal to YOU then Make sure YOU have the correct change:rolleyes:
Oh and yer analogy of the Movies and the Ball game aint gonna werk with me, Cause at the Movies I got to walk MYFATASS up there and get my drink and popcorn. At the Game they bring it to Me

My last post on this. I know your are my age so don't lecture me on what I'm going to say. This is what is wrong with most of this generation. I have raised my kids to work for what they get. If they go beyond what is expected of them at work then they can HOPE for a bonus. If they just do their job then all they expect is to get paid for what they did. This attitude of, "well my job is to sell water at a football game so I should get a tip for doing what I've been hired to do, and if they don't give me one, I'll ask for one" is totally unacceptable. If I believe their actions deserve a tip I'll give one, but don't expect one and definitely don't ask me for one. This is the welfare mentality that currently prevails in this nation.

soonerborn30
9/22/2010, 02:01 PM
They're by far the nicest toilets in the country,though.

Toilets on the rise!!

StoopTroup
9/22/2010, 02:14 PM
if it was cheaper downstairs, i might agree

It is cheaper. You get up and walk over to the beverage line and buy one. On row 60 you get to avoid leaving your seat...standing in line for 30 minutes and you get it handed to you.

If I leave my seats...I just get up walk right down the exit and if the line is to long I just go right back to my seat and check back later. If I'm on row 60 I have to walk all the way down and wait until it's my turn.

You should realize those folks aren't doing it for their health....they do it for money. If I was one of them I'd go up there and camp out until I was sold out but they have to keep moving or folks will get pissed. It's not a job I'd do, especially for no tips.

If you want those guys to ever come back up there...I'd throw em a extra buck every now and then if I were up there.

Just saying.

yermom
9/22/2010, 02:19 PM
i don't remember bottled water being less than $3.50 from the concession people down stairs. it might be $3.00 but i don't think that really changes anything.

StoopTroup
9/22/2010, 02:25 PM
It's all the same price. I noticed the last couple of years you could by a bottled Coke or Sprite at the Taco Mayo under the East Side Stands cheaper than you could from a Vendor but it looks like they put an end to that this year. :(

KantoSooner
9/22/2010, 03:14 PM
Jeesh! From what I've been hearing about conditions in the stadium (I haven't been for 25 years or so) it makes me nostalgic for the days of drunken mayhem in the stands.

Come to think of it, I was nostalgic long before I started hearing about conditions in the stands these days.

Something about strapping on sun goggles, gathering mind bending quantities of liquor into plastic bottles and getting properly loose on the walk over that made the day all but certain to please. We never seem to know what we've got 'til its gone.