PDA

View Full Version : Boardwalk Empire

Okla-homey
9/20/2010, 06:45 AM
Debuted last night on HBO and it was amazingly good. How could you lose with Steve Buscemi directed by Martin Scorcese?

We think its the best thing on television in several years.

Anyway, check it out. If you like period mob stuff.

http://www.hbo.com/boardwalk-empire?cmpid=ABC458#/boardwalk-empire/episodes/01/01-boardwalk-empire/video/ep-1-recap.html/eNrjcmbOUM-PSXHMS8ypLMlMDkhMT-VLzE1lztcsy0xJzYeJO+fnlaRWlDAXsjFyMjKyMbJJJ5aW5Bfk JFbalhSVpgIATuUXOA==

pilobolus
9/20/2010, 08:29 AM
http://www.pollsb.com/photos/o/88892-thumbs_up.jpg

Lott's Bandana
9/20/2010, 08:47 AM
in

OULenexaman
9/21/2010, 12:49 PM
This show rocks...

Harry Beanbag
9/21/2010, 01:00 PM
Liked it.

soonerbrat
9/21/2010, 01:07 PM
DVR'd it..haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

sooner ngintunr
9/21/2010, 01:17 PM
Loved it. 5 stars for sure.

Wishboned
9/21/2010, 01:23 PM
They've already renewed it for a second season.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/21/hbo-orders-second-season-for-boardwalk-empire/

Boomer.....
9/21/2010, 01:31 PM
DVR'd it..haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Same.

Viking Kitten
9/21/2010, 01:58 PM
Definitely lived up to the hype, although there was such an amazing amount of talent attached to this it would be hard to go wrong.

My only (semi) criticism is with the character of Nucky. I love Steve Buscemi as an actor, but I felt absolutely zero sympathy for this guy as the protagonist. The storylines are interesting enough that I will enjoy watching regardless, but without a Tony Soprano or a Michael Corleone type anti-hero to root for, I think that could present a problem down the line.

setem
9/21/2010, 02:47 PM
OH HECKS YEAH! This show is the bees balls in my opinion!

SunnySooner
9/21/2010, 04:49 PM
I'm getting free HBO for 3 months, just enough time to suck me in to all their great series. I guess I'll be coughing up the extra $$ after it expires, it's just so much better than network TV, not even close. Plus, I get OnDemand, so if I miss a show, I can watch it later and not take up DVR space. ROCKS!!!

PDXsooner
9/21/2010, 05:52 PM
Loved episode 1

XingTheRubicon
9/22/2010, 09:03 AM
*****SORT OF SPOILER ALERT*****

Did anyone else's wife do a fist pump when they dumped the wife-beater at sea?

TMcGee86
9/22/2010, 11:12 AM
Man, that scene with his daughter at the dinner table was brutal.

I don't know how they got that little girl to cry like that because she looked far to young to actually be acting. And her face was so scared I have to think that was real emotion.

As the dad of a two yr old daughter, watching her cry was like a knife to the gut. I was very glad they dumped that bastard at sea.

RFH Shakes
9/22/2010, 11:18 AM
I don't know how they got that little girl to cry like that because she looked far to young to actually be acting. And her face was so scared I have to think that was real emotion.

I was thinking the exact same thing as I was watching that scene.

Okla-homey
9/22/2010, 12:07 PM
Man, that scene with his daughter at the dinner table was brutal.

As the dad of a two yr old daughter, watching her cry was like a knife to the gut. I was very glad they dumped that bastard at sea.

We figured they must have shown her something very disturbing off camera. Not "2 girls 1 cup" disturbing, because she's only two and would not have gotten it. Maybe like "Dora the Explorer" being decapitated by an axe-wielding baddie.

OUMallen
9/22/2010, 12:26 PM
We figured they must have shown her something very disturbing off camera. Not "2 girls 1 cup" disturbing, because she's only two and would not have gotten it. Maybe like "Dora the Explorer" being decapitated by an axe-wielding baddie.

Or someone punching her real mom. :confused:

soonerbrat
9/22/2010, 12:46 PM
I'm getting free HBO for 3 months, just enough time to suck me in to all their great series. I guess I'll be coughing up the extra $$ after it expires, it's just so much better than network TV, not even close. Plus, I get OnDemand, so if I miss a show, I can watch it later and not take up DVR space. ROCKS!!!

if you have directv DVR, you can't get HBO on demand.

Okla-homey
9/22/2010, 01:29 PM
Or someone punching her real mom. :confused:

Which reminds me, remember that scene in "Bruno" when he was conducting casting interviews with stage parents? Makes you wonder what people like that will really sign-off on with regard to their kids in order to get them the role.

And did anyone else notice the battered mom was played by the same Scottish actress who played the wife in "No Country For Old Men?"

I wonder if Nucky is going to take her as a lover or just watch over her in a fatherly sort of way? If it's the latter, that may embue him with the redeeming quality his character now seems to lack.

OUMallen
9/22/2010, 02:33 PM
Which reminds me, remember that scene in "Bruno" when he was conducting casting interviews with stage parents? Makes you wonder what people like that will really sign-off on with regard to their kids in order to get them the role.

And did anyone else notice the battered mom was played by the same Scottish actress who played the wife in "No Country For Old Men?"

I wonder if Nucky is going to take her as a lover or just watch over her in a fatherly sort of way? If it's the latter, that may embue him with the redeeming quality his character now seems to lack.

He had the wifebeater killed, gave the girl cash, and plays by the unethical rules and is (was?) a man of his word in his business dealings. I thought he had some of those qualities already!

I maybe I just like bad guys. :D

setem
9/26/2010, 11:52 PM
That suit Nucky wore at the beginning of tonight's episode was nice!

SicEmBaylor
9/27/2010, 12:26 AM
Debuted last night on HBO and it was amazingly good. How could you lose with Steve Buscemi directed by Martin Scorcese?

We- think its the best thing on television in several years.

Anyway, check it out. If you like period mob stuff.

http://www.hbo.com/boardwalk-empire?cmpid=ABC458#/boardwalk-empire/episodes/01/01-boardwalk-empire/video/ep-1-recap.html/eNrjcmbOUM-PSXHMS8ypLMlMDkhMT-VLzE1lztcsy0xJzYeJO+fnlaRWlDAXsjFyMjKyMbJJJ5aW5Bfk JFbalhSVpgIATuUXOA==

Is this the royal "we" or am I to assume you mean you and your wife?

Okla-homey
9/27/2010, 06:46 AM
Is this the royal "we" or am I to assume you mean you and your wife?

the latter.

ouleaf
9/27/2010, 01:20 PM
Definitely think this series is worth all the hype so far. Great writing, great directing, great acting. Think Buscemi is doing a great job as Nucky.

soonerbrat
9/27/2010, 03:28 PM
STILL haven't watched it.

IB4OU2
9/27/2010, 04:36 PM
Giddy up Cowboy!

oudavid1
9/27/2010, 05:04 PM
I loved it, missed last nights due to dumb DVR. gonna watch today when i get home.

SteelCitySooner
9/28/2010, 01:27 AM
**** the **** up with the cowboy **** would ya?

And yes, this show rocks!

setem
10/3/2010, 08:23 PM
The dumber they are, the better I like em!

Blue
10/4/2010, 01:23 AM
This show is interesting but I'm losing interest. No "Oh ****!" moments.

Okla-homey
10/4/2010, 06:30 AM
This show is interesting but I'm losing interest. No "Oh ****!" moments.

You must not be paying tention. There have been several.

setem
10/4/2010, 01:11 PM
You must not be paying tention. There have been several.

Yeah like Nucky casting Jimmy out! I wonder how that is going to play out?

Boomer.....
10/4/2010, 01:22 PM
I'm out!

soonerbrat
10/4/2010, 04:26 PM
still haven't watched it.

Scott D
10/4/2010, 05:41 PM
They've already renewed it for a second season.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/21/hbo-orders-second-season-for-boardwalk-empire/

which already makes it 20x more successful than Lone Star :D

Lott's Bandana
10/20/2010, 09:45 PM
The crazy Christian Fed may have been in the book or not, but that stereotype is getting old. Lazy writing.

Blue
10/20/2010, 11:19 PM
I'm liking this show now. Glad I stuck with it.

soonerbrat
10/21/2010, 12:07 PM
still never watched it. I only recorded the first one thinking if i liked it, i'd set it to record series....then i thought, oh, i'll watch it on demand. Nope. I didn't even think about it, but directv does not have ondemand for HBO. guess i'll catch it on the flipside when it goes into reruns.

yermom
10/21/2010, 02:21 PM
seems sometime this week they were going to play all of the episodes like they do when there isn't a new one. i'm not sure though

and Jimmy's mom is WAY too hawt to be a grandmother ;)

Harry Beanbag
10/21/2010, 02:23 PM
She's a GILF.

Lott's Bandana
10/21/2010, 04:05 PM
Jimmy's mom is delicious.

yermom
10/21/2010, 04:51 PM
Gretchen Mol was a better Bettie Page than Bettie Page ;)

ouleaf
11/8/2010, 10:04 PM
This show is really starting to pick up steam and living up to it's billing. Took awhile to develop all the story lines, but it's really hitting it's stride now.

sooneron
11/24/2010, 11:07 AM
Good character development. I give it 4*
They seem to be developing Mrs Shroeder's character more than Nucky's. That, or she's a better actor...

soonerbrat
11/24/2010, 11:23 AM
still never watched it. now I dont' even have any of them recorded and Directv doesn't have an OnDemand contract wtih HBO so i'm gonna have to wait til it comes out on DVD

Taxman71
11/24/2010, 02:04 PM
Good character development. I give it 4*
They seem to be developing Mrs Shroeder's character more than Nucky's. That, or she's a better actor...

I think Mrs. Schroeder's character had further to go. We knew most about Nucky early on.

Now as for Nelson....that guy has come a loooong way.

Harry Beanbag
11/24/2010, 02:20 PM
Am I the only one that is somewhat disappointed in this series? Where is it going? Half of these characters are based on real life people, but half are totally fictional. We know that Nucky isn't going to kill Rothstein, Luciano, or Lansky...

waynepayne
11/24/2010, 03:25 PM
Dang. I am 2 episodes behind right now. Gotta catch up this weekend because last thing I saw was Margaret seeing the ledger and Jimmy coming back into town!

Taxman71
11/24/2010, 04:11 PM
Where is it going?

That was a frequent complaint about the Sopranos. While we don't know the season ending cliffhanger yet, each episode has been full of twists and turns, the Fed agent, Nelson and Nucky's ex, Jimmy's wife'...

ouleaf
11/24/2010, 04:36 PM
I think Mrs. Schroeder's character had further to go. We knew most about Nucky early on.

Now as for Nelson....that guy has come a loooong way.

Definitely agree on Mrs. Schroeder. It will be interesting to see if she still continues to be a puppet of Nucky b/c he pays the bills, or now that she is more respected in the community and her Women's League if she'll eventually betray him when he does something to cross her.

Agent Van Alden is a very interesting character indeed. He's gone from a man on a mission to a tortured soul that will do anything to bring down Nucky.

Love that Jimmy is back as Nucky's muscle now. He is ruthless ever since he's gotten back from Chicago.

Loving the animosity building up between Nucky and Rothstein.

GDC
11/24/2010, 06:42 PM
I would watch just for Nucky's ex and Jimmy's mom.:D

sooneron
12/8/2010, 11:00 AM
Very nice finale...

Taxman71
12/8/2010, 12:30 PM
Very nice finale...

Very, very strong. Nucky has a very Tony Soprano-like feel to him.

ouleaf
8/22/2011, 03:22 PM
Anyone else getting amped for the next season of this? The promo's they've been playing for it have been spectacular. It took awhile for this show to get going, but at the end of the first season it really had a full head of steam I thought. I'm definitely looking forward to the new season in a couple weeks.

StoopTroup
8/22/2011, 08:57 PM
I'm at around 2 watts right now.

SoonersEnFuego
8/23/2011, 08:21 AM
We changed providers and dropped HBO.

I immediately regretted my decision when I remembered Boardwalk Empire. :mad:

Lott's Bandana
9/22/2011, 02:37 PM
SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

2nd Season Premiere

GDC
10/18/2011, 02:51 PM
Gretchen Mol was a better Bettie Page than Bettie Page ;)

This week had much gratuitous Gretchen Mol.

Taxman71
10/18/2011, 04:04 PM
This week had much gratuitous Gretchen Mol.

Thank goodness. Last week had way too much gratuitous Paz de la Huerta.

XingTheRubicon
10/18/2011, 06:40 PM
Chalkie's gonna kill some folks.

Taxman71
10/19/2011, 09:40 AM
Good episode, lots of character development this week. Chalkie set his family up so well, he can't relate to them.

Lott's Bandana
10/31/2011, 09:35 PM
Seemed a little predictable this week. Especially with gunfights involving Lucky Luciano and Meyer Lansky...you know they aren't getting whacked.

Also, not enough Omar...I mean Chalky, this week.

ouleaf
12/12/2011, 11:11 AM
HOLY S*** what a season finale. Did not see that coming at all and could not believe they fit so much into just one hour.

Great freaking show!

lexsooner
12/12/2011, 11:34 AM
HOLY S*** what a season finale. Did not see that coming at all and could not believe they fit so much into just one hour.

Great freaking show!

I agree! I wonder if this means Richard Harrow and the FBI agent Van Alden will be written out of the series next season. Like Jimmy, Richard left his soul back on the battlefield, and he barely existed in life only because of his friendship and loyalty to Jimmy. With Jimmy gone, he has nothing left in life. You know, until I read some message boards on this show I had always thought I was the only one who was fascinated by and deeply moved by the Richard Harrow character. He is such a deeply sad and empty person, and he doesn't have to speak much to convey these qualities brilliantly. When he was pasting those pictures of happy families in his album, I wanted to cry.

Is it clear Jimmy went to memorial knowing that he would meet his end? He was not armed when he was frisked, and he also purposely left Richard back home.

bonkuba
12/12/2011, 01:56 PM
I like to believe that he knew that he wasnt coming back......kinda like Big ***** on Sopranos. Very good finale.

bonkuba
12/12/2011, 01:57 PM
By the way the new wifey signing the deed over to the church......really cool last statement of the show. It wont be allowed to happen I bet :-)

GDC
12/12/2011, 02:03 PM
By the way the new wifey signing the deed over to the church......really cool last statement of the show. It wont be allowed to happen I bet :-)

She signed her death warrant as well.

Some great characters on this show, especially mask man and the federal agent.

I can honestly say i was surprised at the ending, never expected that.

lexsooner
12/12/2011, 03:21 PM
Boardwalk Empire is way superior to The Sopranos in terms of story lines and the depth of the characters. There were seasons in which I really lost interest in The Sopranos. The only character I do not like in Boardwalk Empire is Al Capone. Somehow I just don't see the real Al Capone as being this little wise-cracking jokester.

ouleaf
12/12/2011, 04:40 PM
I agree! I wonder if this means Richard Harrow and the FBI agent Van Alden will be written out of the series next season. Like Jimmy, Richard left his soul back on the battlefield, and he barely existed in life only because of his friendship and loyalty to Jimmy. With Jimmy gone, he has nothing left in life. You know, until I read some message boards on this show I had always thought I was the only one who was fascinated by and deeply moved by the Richard Harrow character. He is such a deeply sad and empty person, and he doesn't have to speak much to convey these qualities brilliantly. When he was pasting those pictures of happy families in his album, I wanted to cry.

Is it clear Jimmy went to memorial knowing that he would meet his end? He was not armed when he was frisked, and he also purposely left Richard back home.

Yeah, Richard was ready to commit suicide earlier in the season. I'm not sure how he will suit much purpose to the storyline going forward without Jimmy around.

Still very interested in what is to become of former agent Van Alden.

Margaret signing over the deed of land to the church was just awesome though.

Turd_Ferguson
12/12/2011, 04:51 PM
Boardwalk Empire is way superior to The Sopranos in terms of story lines and the depth of the characters. There were seasons in which I really lost interest in The Sopranos. The only character I do not like in Boardwalk Empire is Al Capone. Somehow I just don't see the real Al Capone as being this little wise-cracking jokester.Uh huh...and I bet you thought The Pacific was just as good if not better than Band of Brothers...

TheBobbyTrain
12/15/2011, 11:49 AM

I read an interview with the director of Boardwalk Empire and one of the questions was specifically about Richard and Van Alden. Both will continue to play a big part of season III and made the mention of Van Alden moving to Cicero, IL which was apparently where Al Capone eventually sets up his operation. The interview also said that season III will be set about 2-3 years ahead of where season II ended.

lexsooner
12/15/2011, 02:02 PM
I read an interview with the director of Boardwalk Empire and one of the questions was specifically about Richard and Van Alden. Both will continue to play a big part of season III and made the mention of Van Alden moving to Cicero, IL which was apparently where Al Capone eventually sets up his operation. The interview also said that season III will be set about 2-3 years ahead of where season II ended.

Great info, thanks. I really like Michael Shannon's acting. He was brilliant in Revolutionary Road and got an Oscar nomination. He's also from here, Lexington, KY. I really wish they would recast the Al Capone character. That guy just doesn't do it for me. He is one of those actors who is probably typecast as a gangster in movies, but I just don't think of Al Capone when I see this little happy go lucky character.

Taxman71
12/16/2011, 09:45 AM

I like this. I thought Nucky's legal woes and its handling this season were a little boring and took time away from the other characters and threads of the show.

Lott's Bandana
12/17/2011, 12:46 AM

It will be interesting then to see how they tie up the land deal if years pass.

Plus, I was convinced Jimmy's mom would now go after Nucky since he is the sole PooBah after the Commodore and Jimmy are both gone.

Like Capone or not, he sure looks like him. So does Meyer Lansky's actor.

Seamus
12/17/2011, 06:06 AM
Steven Graham is phenomenal -- he's nailing the Capone part. You gotta remember, this is Capone in 1920, not when he's Chicago mob boss more than a decade later.

He also has been in Snatch, Gangs of New York and This is England. He's a British actor.

TheBobbyTrain
12/17/2011, 09:17 AM
Steven Graham is phenomenal -- he's nailing the Capone part. You gotta remember, this is Capone in 1920, not when he's Chicago mob boss more than a decade later.

He also has been in Snatch, Gangs of New York and This is England. He's a British actor.

Also Sgt. Ranney in the early episodes of Band of Brothers

Blue
12/17/2011, 02:50 PM
I thought the second season was kinda "meh." Some great scenes but a lot of uninteresting storyline that repeated and went nowhere. The whole Jimmy and his mom incest thing then they just kill them off? Whatever.

yermom
12/17/2011, 03:25 PM
the show isn't nearly as cool without Jimmy

i guess we'll see

King Crimson
12/17/2011, 03:41 PM
not a huge fan. i want to like it, i KNOW you are supposed to like it...Marty Scorcese...but, meh.

StoopTroup
12/17/2011, 07:26 PM
I like Steve Buschemi. Scorsese is usually decent or at least fantastic. I have a Buddy that has them DVRd. Gonna have to have a Couple Sundays where we hang out and Watch some good old killin'....:D

sooneron
12/19/2011, 11:03 AM
I thought the finale was solid. Jimmy had to be killed, you don't get that far and that fast only to realize you're in over your head without the end all consequence. The season, overall, did sort of drift along. I was almost ready to write it off until the finale ending. The whole Margaret/Owen thing was predictable and tiring.
IMO, Buscemi is the show's issue. He's just not lead material. He's great and I love his work, but sometimes he comes off as unbelievable. He can crack something on the show and sort of save it every once in a while, but... eh. His over the top intense look and head tilt is pretty ridiculous.

My guess is that Harrow goes after Manny and dies in a bullet riddled shoot out. He loved Angela more than Jimmy, imo. He's definitely one of my favorite characters on the show. Van Alden is interesting, to say the least.
I can watch the show just for the the camera work and art direction alone, almost...

Lott's Bandana
12/19/2011, 12:02 PM
I thought the finale was solid. Jimmy had to be killed, you don't get that far and that fast only to realize you're in over your head without the end all consequence. The season, overall, did sort of drift along. I was almost ready to write it off until the finale ending. The whole Margaret/Owen thing was predictable and tiring.
IMO, Buscemi is the show's issue. He's just not lead material. He's great and I love his work, but sometimes he comes off as unbelievable. He can crack something on the show and sort of save it every once in a while, but... eh. His over the top intense look and head tilt is pretty ridiculous.

My guess is that Harrow goes after Manny and dies in a bullet riddled shoot out. He loved Angela more than Jimmy, imo. He's definitely one of my favorite characters on the show. Van Alden is interesting, to say the least.
I can watch the show just for the the camera work and art direction alone, almost...

I like what you said right there, "Ron".

My dream is that they just continue to follow Capone, Lansky, Luciano all the way through their lives...sort of a gangster chronology, perhaps a 30 season HBO wunderkind?

I find Arnold Rothstein completely believable and fascinating. His violence with a sense of decorum is quite refreshing.

More excellence: Mickey Doyle's giggle
George Remus' referring himself in the 1st person
Any scene with Chalky White

Taxman71
12/21/2011, 07:15 AM
Yeah, given the ease which people are killed for business reasons in this show (and every mafia movie), no way Jimmy could survive without the show becoming an unbelievable soap opera. Recall the Sopranos killed off some of its most colorful characters (including Buschemi) after a season or two to keep with the storyline and realworld style of organized crime.

That said, Margaret Schroeder Thompson's self-loathing has become tiresome.

BigTip
12/23/2011, 08:53 PM
I have watched every episode of this show. I keep waiting for it to get good. It just moves so slowly. And Buschemi is just not believable. I have seen too much of his work being the oddball for me to believe him as the lead. I am sure he is digging the opportunity, and his acting is okay, it's just me getting over all of his professional past.

I guess I watch it because they have put so much into it. It is richly made.

XingTheRubicon
12/24/2011, 01:39 PM
I like what you said right there, "Ron".

My dream is that they just continue to follow Capone, Lansky, Luciano all the way through their lives...sort of a gangster chronology, perhaps a 30 season HBO wunderkind?

I find Arnold Rothstein completely believable and fascinating. His violence with a sense of decorum is quite refreshing.

More excellence: Mickey Doyle's giggle
George Remus' referring himself in the 1st person
Any scene with Chalky White

If they would have had him giggle as he was falling off the balcony after Jimmy pushed him, my life would have been complete...and I would probably still be laughing.

sooneron
11/27/2012, 02:12 PM
No mention of this season?

Looks like the **** is going to fly on the finale. It has been a better season than 2. My guess is that Harrow takes out all the Ginzos at the whore house only to die tragically. He's a tragic character. I also like it that Capone is being brought into the mix in AC. It should be interesting... There will be blood...

Turd_Ferguson
11/28/2012, 12:04 AM
No mention of this season?

Looks like the **** is going to fly on the finale. It has been a better season than 2. My guess is that Harrow takes out all the Ginzos at the whore house only to die tragically. He's a tragic character. I also like it that Capone is being brought into the mix in AC. It should be interesting... There will be blood...

This season has been really good...and you're right, next Sunday is going to be a blood bath. I think "Red" is going to take a 12 gauge to the head.

Wishboned
11/28/2012, 07:59 AM
Part of me hopes they kill Gyp off, and the other part wants him to live just to see what crazy **** he pulls next.

jk the sooner fan
11/28/2012, 08:07 AM
i like this show but no way in hell is it better than the Sopranos

olevetonahill
11/28/2012, 08:28 AM

I'll take yer word for it. Never watched an episode of either .

jk the sooner fan
11/28/2012, 09:03 AM
Sopranos = one of the greatest shows ever with the story lines and character development - just superb

sooneron
11/28/2012, 09:42 AM
At its best, The Sopranos was some of the best television ever.

ouleaf
11/28/2012, 10:46 AM
This series was becoming a bit stale until the introduction of Gyp, and the last few episodes have been particularly great television. That scene where Gyp shows up to Chalky's place was very tense. The writers for the show definitely know how to put together a compelling finale each season.

XingTheRubicon
11/28/2012, 12:40 PM

Agreed, but Sopranos was a fairy tale.

Some of this \Boardwalk series actually happened...and all of the main characters really did exist.

spoiler alert:\

I can't wait to see if they portray AR's demise factually.

XingTheRubicon
11/28/2012, 12:42 PM
At its best, The Sopranos was some of the best television ever.

The final 10 minutes of the finale...is probably my favorite segment in my history of watching tv or film.

XingTheRubicon
11/28/2012, 12:45 PM
Also, does anyone else think it's a coincidence that last nights episode (prob the best one to date) has not one second of airtime for Nucky's wife, Margaret.

BigTip
11/28/2012, 04:46 PM
Also, does anyone else think it's a coincidence that last nights episode (prob the best one to date) has not one second of airtime for Nucky's wife, Margaret.

Why all the hate for the Irish?

lol

BigTip
11/28/2012, 04:49 PM

I think that is why I keep watching this one. I keep wanting it to be The Sopranos.

It has been better this season though. Knucky getting meaner has helped me forget my impressions of Buschemi's previous roles.

ouleaf
12/3/2012, 04:37 PM
Welp, thought they did a pretty good job with the end of the season. Nucky transformed into a really sinister guy this season, which seemed to make things better. Richard Harrow was just plain awesome. What ever happened to Van Alden? Pretty much wish they'd find a way to kill off Margaret. Last weeks episode was made so much better by the fact that she wasn't in it at all. Just plain don't care for her character anymore.

The Profit
12/3/2012, 05:21 PM
Actually, Margaret was featured twice. The first time, she was about to get an abortion (she didn't need one as it turned out). The second scene showed her with Nucky as he was trying to get her to go back with him.

sooneron
12/3/2012, 09:25 PM
The whole Margaret/Owen storyline was so predictable that I'm ready for her to move on...
By bringing her back at the end, you know she'll be back in the fray next season. meh.

Very good finale episode, though.

yermom
12/3/2012, 09:27 PM
the miscarriage was a little convenient

ouleaf
12/4/2012, 12:34 AM
Actually, Margaret was featured twice. The first time, she was about to get an abortion (she didn't need one as it turned out). The second scene showed her with Nucky as he was trying to get her to go back with him.

Not the finale, the penultimate episode. I don't believe she was in that episode at all and it happened to be one of the best episodes of the entire series.

sooneron
12/4/2012, 01:17 PM
If you are referring to Sunday night's episode, you are wrong, OUleaf.

ouleaf
12/4/2012, 03:28 PM
If you are referring to Sunday night's episode, you are wrong, OUleaf.

No. I was clearly not mentioning the finale episode, rather the 2nd to last. She was not in that episode.

Not the finale, the penultimate episode. I don't believe she was in that episode at all and it happened to be one of the best episodes of the entire series.

StoopTroup
12/4/2012, 08:52 PM
The shooting in the whorehouse was wild. Great show from start to finish.

sooneron
12/5/2012, 11:15 AM
No. I was clearly not mentioning the finale episode, rather the 2nd to last. She was not in that episode.

Misread, but that is because I thought the finale was more penultimate. :D

StoopTroup
12/5/2012, 02:50 PM

I like them both for different reasons. Both deal with the minds of crime Bosses and how deluded their life of normalcy affects the people around them.

XingTheRubicon
12/6/2012, 01:20 PM
info on Season 3 and upcoming Season 4 with the writer, Winter.
http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/boardwalk-empire-creator-terence-winter-talks-nucky-richard-chalky-and-more-from-season-3

sooneron
10/22/2013, 01:12 PM
Anyone still with it? I think this season may be the best. Last episode was very good, but the one before -The North Star may be one of the series' best.

GDC
10/22/2013, 08:19 PM
I am watching Boardwalk Empire, Eastbound and Down, and Walking Dead. Looking forward to new seasons of Justified and Game of Thrones.

Lott's Bandana
10/25/2013, 10:57 AM
Anyone still with it? I think this season may be the best. Last episode was very good, but the one before -The North Star may be one of the series' best.

I'm enjoying the Lansky/Luciano storyline.

Margaret looked pregnant.