PDA

View Full Version : Nebraska, Pretender or Contender

tommieharris91
9/19/2010, 10:58 AM
So they're blowing out trash cans and blocking dummies. They started the season in the top 10, and have done nothing to show that they don't belong. So, are they a contender, or pretender?

Yea, it's a copycat thread that isn't meant to be funny or anything.

rawlingsHOH
9/19/2010, 10:59 AM
Unfortunately, contender, I think.

IronHorseSooner
9/19/2010, 10:59 AM
We won't know until they play *. Mizzou should give them a game, but * will be the benchmark.

delhalew
9/19/2010, 11:00 AM
I'm saying contender. If we can win the south, I think we'll have our hands full.

badger
9/19/2010, 11:02 AM
Bill Snyder will get them. He will never let up on their hotshot new QB's knees, he will devastate them for some unknown, unexplainable reason, to which the only reason or explanation required to Sooner fans is "It's Bill Snyder."

adoniijahsooner
9/19/2010, 11:05 AM
I'm saying contender. If we can win the south, I think we'll have our hands full.

Based off what? A big win over hapless Washington? The same team that loss to BYU, who has been streamrolled by Air Force and FSU. I wanna see Nebraska play someone before annointing them "contenders".

delhalew
9/19/2010, 11:07 AM
Based off what? A big win over hapless Washington? The same team that loss to BYU, who has been streamrolled by Air Force and FSU. I wanna see Nebraska play someone before annointing them "contenders".

I like the way they play. They look good out there. I believe Bo is an excellent coach. Based on that.

adoniijahsooner
9/19/2010, 11:18 AM
I imagine if we played Western Kentucky, Idaho, and Washington we would look pretty good in all our games as well.

MR2-Sooner86
9/19/2010, 11:21 AM
When you play a school for the blind you look good. I expect their defense to be exposed as soon as they play an offense. You can't lose a Suh and expect everything to be fine.

delhalew
9/19/2010, 11:22 AM
I imagine if we played Western Kentucky, Idaho, and Washington we would look pretty good in all our games as well.

Yeah...it's early. A question was posed. I gave my answer. We will find out soon enough who is or isn't a contender this year. Just remember, we won't be the only program to improve as the year goes on.

adoniijahsooner
9/19/2010, 11:25 AM
Yeah...it's early. A question was posed. I gave my answer. We will find out soon enough who is or isn't a contender this year. Just remember, we won't be the only program to improve as the year goes on.

Thats true. I would honestly like to see them win all their games, and we meet them in the Big 12 championship game. That would be wonderful end to this rivalry.

delhalew
9/19/2010, 11:32 AM
Thats true. I would honestly like to see them win all their games, and we meet them in the Big 12 championship game. That would be wonderful end to this rivalry.

And then we crush them on their way out the door. That's the ending I'm looking for.:D

mightysooner
9/19/2010, 12:48 PM
Holding Locker to 4-20 (think that's what it was?) isn't a pretender performance.

StoopTroup
9/19/2010, 12:50 PM
No one should buy Big XII Championship tkts....we're doomed.

Crucifax Autumn
9/19/2010, 12:50 PM
Nebraska forced him to get high?

soonerbub
9/19/2010, 01:48 PM
Looks like they cloned Eric Crouch to me (Martinez is FAST and quick). Don't think the D is what it was last yr tho. The north is theirs for the taking and would be the next 5 yrs--stupid bastards. I will never forgive them for breaking up the conference (everyone knows texass r *******s but you beat em not run away like scared little girls)

oudavid1
9/19/2010, 05:39 PM
They have played one good player, and he didnt show up. Anyone who thinks Washington can recruit the talent to keep up with a fast QB is kidding themselves, they are good, not great. But its early, good chance ill eat my words.

ouwasp
9/19/2010, 05:46 PM

I like the adjective "hapless". :)

Yeah, if OU had played their "rugged" schedule, the Sooners could well be the media darlings...but it will all play out. I think NU wins the North.

oudavid1
9/19/2010, 05:48 PM
I like the adjective "hapless". :)

Yeah, if OU had played their "rugged" schedule, the Sooners could well be the media darlings...but it will all play out. I think NU wins the North.

K-State/Nebbish could be good, doubtful, but i hope.

yankee
9/19/2010, 05:50 PM
they're a pretender until they contend. they're not contending so they're a pretender. pretender they are. no contender they are.

edit: oooooo post 1,000. i should make a thank you jesus speech/thread like david did. ooooooooo

Sabanball
9/19/2010, 05:52 PM
Not enough data in yet. They still haven't played anybody. Washington has Locker and that's it.

oudavid1
9/19/2010, 05:59 PM
they're a pretender until they contend. they're not contending so they're a pretender. pretender they are. no contender they are.

edit: oooooo post 1,000. i should make a thank you jesus speech/thread like david did. ooooooooo

Well no one really likes you so i dont know why you would. :D

OUthunder
9/19/2010, 06:03 PM
I think Pilini (sp?) is an average coach. I just can't see them winning a title with him at the controls. I think he's a Nick Saban wannabe. A total tool. With that said. They are easily the best team in the North division right now but that's not saying much. Missouri and K-State might give them fits but they're getting UT at home with a new QB, so they can't make excuses if they lose.

On a neutral field I think that OU, UT, and NU are a "Pick Em" game. If I had to give the edge to anyone, it would be UT just because to be the man, you have to beat the man.

CBUS_SOONER
9/19/2010, 06:12 PM
contend

oumartin
9/19/2010, 06:28 PM
Jake Locker has beaten nobody since being the qb at UW. He is like 9-100 up there.

That said Nebraska has done something OU has not and that's beaten the snot out of overmatched teams.

I think they are contenders.

Sabanball
9/19/2010, 07:23 PM
Has anyone forgot that Washington also lost to BYU, who was blown out this weekend by FSU, who was.....well, we all know what happened last weekend. Need I say more?;)

I've said this and I'll say it again--this is not our father's Nebraska program. With all the changes to schollies and walkon's by the NCAA I say they will never be what they once were. What kid today wants to go to Lincoln, Nebraska, for four years? Add on to that they they shot their wad by jumping to the Big 10, IMO.

Sabanball
9/19/2010, 07:24 PM
I think Pilini (sp?) is an average coach. I just can't see them winning a title with him at the controls. I think he's a Nick Saban wannabe. A total tool. With that said. They are easily the best team in the North division right now but that's not saying much. Missouri and K-State might give them fits but they're getting UT at home with a new QB, so they can't make excuses if they lose.

On a neutral field I think that OU, UT, and NU are a "Pick Em" game. If I had to give the edge to anyone, it would be UT just because to be the man, you have to beat the man.

What's wrong with that? The man has won two crystal balls--one at your expense.

Husker In Oklahoma
9/19/2010, 07:26 PM
I think Pilini (sp?) is an average coach. I just can't see them winning a title with him at the controls.

Are you serious? WOW, you should probably watch some more football then. The mess left by Clowenhanburger had to be cleaned up. 2 years later, NU has the best D in the country and an offense seriously on the move. Nah, Pelini can't coach a lick :rolleyes: . NU is seriously close to being dominant again.

silverwheels
9/19/2010, 07:32 PM
Are you serious? WOW, you should probably watch some more football then. The mess left by Clowenhanburger had to be cleaned up. 2 years later, NU has the best D in the country and an offense seriously on the move. Nah, Pelini can't coach a lick :rolleyes: . NU is seriously close to being dominant again.

Pump the brakes. Dominant? You don't win a mediocre North division once and then become dominant the next year. It takes time.

And I think they're a contender at the moment, but I'm waiting until they play someone with a pulse before I confirm that.

NatureBoy
9/19/2010, 07:36 PM
When you play teams you overmatch, you should win big. Teams like Utah State.

Husker In Oklahoma
9/19/2010, 07:55 PM
Pump the brakes. Dominant?

Look, the defense is already dominant. As long as Pelini is at NU, the defense will regularly be "one" of the Nations best. Martinez IS the real deal at QB. He has sub 4.4 speed, and is a playmaker waiting to happen. It "appears" that now, NU has a resemblence of an offense to go with its D. Strong D and strong running game usually equals one of the top tier teams. We shall see, but I happen to think NU can play with anyone, anywhere, now.

CBUS_SOONER
9/19/2010, 07:59 PM
I hope they dominate the lil 10

silverwheels
9/19/2010, 09:07 PM
Look, the defense is already dominant. As long as Pelini is at NU, the defense will regularly be "one" of the Nations best. Martinez IS the real deal at QB. He has sub 4.4 speed, and is a playmaker waiting to happen. It "appears" that now, NU has a resemblence of an offense to go with its D. Strong D and strong running game usually equals one of the top tier teams. We shall see, but I happen to think NU can play with anyone, anywhere, now.

"Appears" and "is" are two different things. I think Nebraska is on the way up, but to say they're "seriously close" to being dominant again at this moment in time is a little premature. "Dominant" is winning the conference year-in and year-out and contending for national titles. Plus you don't know what the conference switch will do.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/19/2010, 09:07 PM
with that quarterback, they are dangerous...

StoopTroup
9/19/2010, 09:27 PM

I think you guys would dominate Div IAA

Husker In Oklahoma
9/19/2010, 11:08 PM
"Appears" and "is" are two different things. I think Nebraska is on the way up, but to say they're "seriously close" to being dominant again at this moment in time is a little premature. "Dominant" is winning the conference year-in and year-out and contending for national titles. Plus you don't know what the conference switch will do.

Like I said before, the defense already is dominant. If you do not think so, go watch some tape. Now that NU has two really good backs, and a QB with blazing speed who is a serious playmaker, it will fit right in with the defense. I think NU will be right there in the end.
BTW, I never said NU was dominat right now, I said it is on its way. I'd say NU can stand toe to toe with any team right now. Clownenburger's trash has been removed. The blowouts are done.

silverwheels
9/19/2010, 11:16 PM
I didn't say anything about your defense not being dominant. And your playmaker at QB hasn't played a good defense yet.

Husker In Oklahoma
9/19/2010, 11:22 PM
And your playmaker at QB hasn't played a good defense yet.True enough, but it has destroyed each team put before it to. With a QB with wheels like Martinez has, NU is gonna be very difficult for teams to defend.

Crucifax Autumn
9/20/2010, 09:32 AM
Personally I love that Nebraska is so "dominant". It plays right into my hopes of a CCG against them where we whip their asses and send 'em packing to their boring, slow conference with their tails tucked between their legs.

TexasLidig8r
9/20/2010, 09:39 AM
Like I said before, the defense already is dominant. If you do not think so, go watch some tape. Now that NU has two really good backs, and a QB with blazing speed who is a serious playmaker, it will fit right in with the defense. I think NU will be right there in the end.
BTW, I never said NU was dominat right now, I said it is on its way. I'd say NU can stand toe to toe with any team right now. Clownenburger's trash has been removed. The blowouts are done.

Time will tell with the whiny bugeaters.

Agreed their defense looks very impressive.

As for Martinez, time we shall see. It's one thing to run for a brazillion yards against the likes of a patsy doormat in the Pac 10 and the little sisters of the poor.

Let's see how that offense does when you face a defense with the speed of Texas. The DBs will man up on your wide outs and in rotating a safety over the top, are more than a match for Nebraska's WR. Leaving 8 or 9 in a box and playing a disciplined defense with the DEs crashing down and forcing the QB to make a quick decision will be something you haven't faced before.

Going into the year, QB was a huge issue for the Nebraska team. In terms of the running game, those questions have been answered. In terms of the passing game, the jury is out. Suppose the bugeaters are down to Texas by 5 points with 2 minutes left in the game and 80 yards away from paydirt. The fans are whining about how Texas forced them out of the Big XII. Will Martinez be able to lead the Bugeaters on an 80 yard drive to win the game?

Crucifax Autumn
9/20/2010, 09:53 AM
I really think you texass/nebraska fans are horny for each other.

East Coast Bias
9/20/2010, 10:03 AM
Nebraska is where Missouri was a few years back with Chase. A lot of hype, looking great in meaningless games, and primed and ready for the beat down in the big game. Their next big game will be a ticket back to obscurity.

goingoneight
9/20/2010, 10:14 AM
Jake Locker has beaten nobody since being the qb at UW. He is like 9-100 up there.

That said Nebraska has done something OU has not and that's beaten the snot out of overmatched teams.

I think they are contenders.

I object for a moment. Let's sit Utah State aside for a moment. Why should we have throttled Air Force? Cuz we did pwn FSU, and they're an east coast UW clone this year. I'm still saying that while we're not great yet, that Utah State was our biggest oopsie so far. Even then it was a W on opening day. Air Force has really humbled a lot of good teams and players recently.
As for NU, they're giving up more garbage points this year than they did a year ago, too. Don't know what that means yet. Could be like us in 2008 where the D often sandbagged with a big lead.

Nothing after three weeks is clear yet in the BIG 12 to me, other than Texas Tech is in trouble.

85sooners
9/20/2010, 11:12 AM
****em!!

Husker In Oklahoma
9/20/2010, 11:13 AM
Going into the year, QB was a huge issue for the Nebraska team. In terms of the running game, those questions have been answered. In terms of the passing game, the jury is out. Suppose the bugeaters are down to Texas by 5 points with 2 minutes left in the game and 80 yards away from paydirt. The fans are whining about how Texas forced them out of the Big XII. Will Martinez be able to lead the Bugeaters on an 80 yard drive to win the game?

Very fair questions. We shall see soon enough. Martinez to me, is a gamer. He also has a cannon for an arm and has been fairly accurate with his throws. His speed alone, makes him very difficult for teams to key on any one thing, Texas included.
Nebraska's D alone should keep it in every game it plays. Your questions are valid and we shall soon enough see. Personally, It looks like NU has found itself a player at QB, and now has multiple weapons and options to go along with it.

sooneron
9/20/2010, 11:14 AM
Precontender!

tfoolry
9/20/2010, 12:37 PM
Primadonna

Soonerntxs
9/20/2010, 01:37 PM
I really think you texass/nebraska fans are horny for each other.

What do ya get when they breed? Whorny Corn Cobs:D