PDA

View Full Version : "Welcome to Norman, we're glad you're here!"

MR2-Sooner86
9/19/2010, 10:34 AM
You hear some people complain about our fans being bad, rude, etc. I know some are saying, "We have the worst fans!" because they won't stand or yell loud enough to their liking. A small percentage I know but still. Anyway, this is from a FSU fan, I know I'm a day late and a dollar short, about his experience in Norman. I thought I'd share this outsider's view of God' country.

I took my FSU sophmore son to Norman last week and had a blast in spite of the game...the following is what I wrote to the Tallahassee Democrat and to Randy Spetman about our journey: (http://www.tomahawknation.com/2010/9/15/1690716/welcome-to-norman-were-glad-your)

“Welcome to Norman, we’re glad you’re here! Would you like something to eat, how about something to drink or maybe a beer? You Seminoles sure travel well, thanks for coming!”

If I heard that said once this past weekend I heard it said a thousand times! Who are these Sooners? Why were they so friendly and gracious to visitors from Florida State? It was just amazing how friendly and gracious these Sooner fans were…before and after the game! Ask anybody you know that went to this game…they’ll all tell you the same thing. That was the talk in the hotel lobbies, in restaurants and in the airport…we Seminole fans can learn something from them…”Welcome to Tallahassee, we’re glad you’re here, thanks for coming!”

Yeah, we stunk it up on the playing field; and a certain 5 star recruit from up the road that won’t be named; embarrassed himself, his momma, his hometown and his school with an ego that can’t be matched by a dozen Deion’s, as he couldn’t cover, couldn’t tackle and couldn’t catch…but was pumping his chest as if he had actually done something productive in the game.

But this isn’t about the actual football game but about a relaxed game day attitude FSU fans should be imitating at our home games…true Seminole hospitality for our game day visitors. The Sooner fans were just so friendly and inviting that is was almost scary…we are so used to posturing with Gators and Hurricane fans before a big game…the Sooners were just so darn gracious and nice they had to be up to something! Yeah, being good hosts!

The Sooners have a great location for their games, as Norman is a nice little town with nice neighborhoods surrounding the campus. There must have been 2500 tents set up around the stadium filled with friendly Sooner fans. They also have a nice main drag called Boyd Street that fronts the school and is lined with restaurants, bars, shops and cute little boutiques…it’s called Campus Corner. It comes to life on game day as vendors bring in their trailers and booths, the side streets are closed off so football fans can stroll up and down the streets without dodging traffic. On the south side of the stadium you have Lindsey Street that is lined with more tents filled with fans warming up for the game. There are more stores in a strip center at the corner of Jenkings and Lindsey, that hosts the needs of the football fans with a friendly Irish Pub and more stores and shops. Even the Sooner Frat boys were friendly and invited the Seminole Greek Nation to join them as they strategized for what was thought to be a very competitive game.

I know our surrounding area around Doak Campbell won’t allow the ability to set up so many tent tailgate parties, and I hope the strategic plan for Gaines Street will make it more game day friendly, (how about the corner of Pensacola and Varsity Drive…what’s going on there?), maybe the Gaines St. committee should visit Norman to see how it could be…but we true Seminole fans could all be a little more hospitable and learn a lesson from our friends from Oklahoma. Get to the game earlier, bring some extra food, have some extra sodas and adult beverages…and when you see the other teams fans walking by…smile and say:

“Welcome to Tallahassee, we’re glad you’re here! Would you like something to eat, how about something to drink? Your team sure travels well, thanks for coming!”

Rick Johnston, Class of '82

:pop:

delhalew
9/19/2010, 10:43 AM
Whether we are in Norman or a Championship game in Miami, this is what you will hear every time...something we should be very proud of.

MR2-Sooner86
9/19/2010, 11:10 AM
Whether we are in Norman or a Championship game in Miami, this is what you will hear every time...something we should be very proud of.

Agreed. I think some people overlook this or forget it at times but we do have the best fans.

Lott's Bandana
9/19/2010, 11:16 AM
I taught at FSU in the 90's and their campus is such a mixed-up nightmare, it isn't a wonder that their fans found Norman quaint. There isn't anything remotely resembling Campus Corner in Tallahassee.

Credit to them for pointing out the nice time they had, even after their team didn't show up.

They can treat us like crap next year, as long as we get the W.

soonerboomer93
9/19/2010, 12:40 PM
I taught at FSU in the 90's and their campus is such a mixed-up nightmare, it isn't a wonder that their fans found Norman quaint. There isn't anything remotely resembling Campus Corner in Tallahassee.

Credit to them for pointing out the nice time they had, even after their team didn't show up.

They can treat us like crap next year, as long as we get the W.

From the article, it sounded like they're looking to improve the tailgating there

or maybe i'm just drunk

bluedogok
9/19/2010, 01:54 PM
You hear some people complain about our fans being bad, rude, etc.
You have to listen to other than Poke fans to get a real taste of what the crowed is like....even most of the K-State fans that I knew living ion OKC thought the crowds at OU games were pretty good. Basing perceptions off rivalry games is a skewed perspective.

MR2-Sooner86
9/19/2010, 02:08 PM
You have to listen to other than Poke fans to get a real taste of what the crowed is like....even most of the K-State fans that I knew living ion OKC thought the crowds at OU games were pretty good. Basing perceptions off rivalry games is a skewed perspective.

Well the past couple of weeks our own fanbase was saying we're "unpatriotic" and then you see threads of "our fanbase sucks" so I was going off that. Just a reminder to everybody that it's not as bad as it seems.

bluedogok
9/19/2010, 02:23 PM
I don't like the "Sooners" at the end of the anthem thing and I am not exactly the most patriotic guy in the house but to me it doesn't do any good to whine about it.

People have always griped about "fair weather fans" and always will. Every fan base deals with that even mediocre programs like OSU. I sat in the donor seats in Section 4 most of my games and saw more than my fair share of those. Those fair weather fans abandoning the team in the 90's let my dad get season tickets.

As others have said, some people while gripe about anything they don't perceive to be the same way they do ...for the most part my attitude towards them is **** off dip****...

stoopified
9/19/2010, 02:52 PM
Yeah....but....but we say SOONERS.

Chuck Bao
9/19/2010, 02:53 PM
I love that you guys are giving the visiting fans such a positive gameday welcome. Well done!

I really have trouble trying to understand why some college football fans, ahem...LSU, Ohio State, Florida...think that it is a side sport to try to intimidate and discourage opposing fans.

I am going to be very interested to see how the very large Nebraska RV traveling fans fare in Columbus and Ann Arbor when Nebraska joins the Big10. They may think that they are joining a superior conference in terms of academics and funding. Somehow, that doesn't translate into the behavior of the fans, though.

I have only once been a visiting fan in Norman when I went to school at Baylor and scored a block of tickets for my entire family. The rest of the family wore crimson and I was the only one wearing the green and gold. I have never had to shake so many hands before and told: "thanks for coming."

StoopTroup
9/19/2010, 04:05 PM
Dick Johnson.....LMAO

salth2o
9/19/2010, 04:52 PM
love that you guys are giving the visiting fans such a positive gameday welcome. Well done!

I really have trouble trying to understand why some college football fans, ahem...LSU, Ohio State, Florida...think that it is a side sport to try to intimidate and discourage opposing fans.

Please insert Miami into this category if sh!TTY fans. I will never o to another game there unless we are playing a non-Florida school in the OB.

noobalicious
9/19/2010, 04:53 PM
The Sooner fans were just so friendly and inviting that is was almost scary…we are so used to posturing with Gators and Hurricane fans before a big game…the Sooners were just so darn gracious and nice they had to be up to something!

Well, to be fair we do razz those Horn fans a bit :-D

CBUS_SOONER
9/19/2010, 06:27 PM
I love that you guys are giving the visiting fans such a positive gameday welcome. Well done!

I am going to be very interested to see how the very large Nebraska RV traveling fans fare in Columbus and Ann Arbor when Nebraska joins the Big10. They may think that they are joining a superior conference in terms of academics and funding. Somehow, that doesn't translate into the behavior of the fans, though.

I have only once been a visiting fan in Norman when I went to school at Baylor and scored a block of tickets for my entire family. The rest of the family wore crimson and I was the only one wearing the green and gold. I have never had to shake so many hands before and told: "thanks for coming."

I have been to Meechigan, Ohio State, OU, Purdue, Michigan State, Northwestern, Lsu, Penn State, etc... Tosu fans are by far the biggest idiots... and its not close... imo

StoopTroup
9/19/2010, 06:38 PM
Wear a Dallas Cowboys jersey to a Oakland Raider's Home Game.

OU-HSV
9/19/2010, 06:56 PM
Excellent

Chuck Bao
9/19/2010, 08:24 PM
Wear a Dallas Cowboys jersey to a Oakland Raider's Home Game.

I've done that. Ain't no thang. Many of them were dressed up in their Halloween costumes. Even without a costume, I am a scary looking mofo too! ;)

SunnySooner
9/19/2010, 08:27 PM
I've been hearing the same reports here in Jax from my FSU friends--the ones that went or knew someone who went sounded a lot like the guy in the article--couldn't believe how great OUr fans were, and ended up having a great time even with the blowout loss.

I went to the Thug U game last year, and those fans are just as bad as you hear. I took my dad, my son and his buddy, and we had Guidos in our faces before and after the game, unreal. Yeah, pick on the chick, the old guy, and two little kids, you're SOOOO tough, blech. The only good experience I had with those fans was when we were walking back to the car, a couple of little punks were mouthing off, and a group of about 5 or 6 big dudes came over and told them to STFU or they would kick their @zzes. Those guys were not guidos, so they may have been actual alums, which is something that you don't find much of at Thug U games. Anyway, those guys apologized profusely for the moe-rons that were harassing us. They said they had gone to the game in Norman in '07, and that we had annihilated them but that they'd still had a great time because OUr fans were so gracious and friendly, and that they were sorry and embarrassed that the same couldn't be said about Miami fans. One guy said he was really hoping Randy Shannon would try to make better sportsmanship among the fans more of a priority, and that he really hoped they could shed their thug image. To me, these guys were the exception that proves the rule--Miami fans are disgusting, crude, ignorant, loud, profane, greasy, hair-gelled thug wannabes.