PDA

View Full Version : From Watching ESPN and the Internet...

sooner59
9/19/2010, 02:06 AM
It doesn't seem like they are making a big deal about our game. Probably because of all of the excitement elsewhere in the nation. We are lucky I guess.

GKeeper316
9/19/2010, 02:13 AM
ya... lucky to have our home winning streak intact.

we're a good team, with superior talent to any service academy, but those air force guys run a really tough offense.

serious props to the d for this win. held the falcons to 100 yards less than their average and 24 points.

noobalicious
9/19/2010, 02:30 AM
Air Force is a good team. I think that the national pundits realize that. Even idiots like Mark May.

SCSooner71
9/19/2010, 07:21 AM
Air Force is easily a top 25 team.

Sooner-N-KS
9/19/2010, 08:13 AM

They have a schedule that should get them into the top 20. The only tough games they have are TCU and Utah.

stoopified
9/19/2010, 08:21 AM
I sincerely hope so,cause if they ain't............

RedstickSooner
9/19/2010, 08:45 AM
It doesn't really matter if air force is a top-20 team -- they're a team playing a different game altogether. It'd be like if we'd scheduled to have our football team play Tulsa in water polo. We'd need the win, but it's hard to get any meaningful evaluation of our ability or success from the outcome.

Didn't seem fair, their running the option without turning the damned ball over all the time. If we'd been able to run the wishbone without giving the ball away every few series, we'd probably still run it today.

btb916
9/19/2010, 08:50 AM
serious props to the d for this win. held the falcons to 100 yards less than their average and 24 points.

Yeah, that's one thing I think has gone unnoticed. Air Force has a prolific running offense and to hold them under their average is a sign that we played well. They are just hard to stop.

King Crimson
9/19/2010, 08:56 AM
Michigan-UMass knocked us out of the good, big name team wins close game over small timer niche.

ATM, too. though, i was impressed with AFA.

beer4me
9/19/2010, 08:59 AM
Air Force is a good team. I think that the national pundits realize that. Even idiots like Mark May.

I'd like to shove Lou down Mays throat those guys drive me to drink :D

tooslow
9/19/2010, 09:09 AM
Hmmm. Didn't we see the same replies about Utah State? The same Utah State that got handled by Fresno State? Air Force's offense is definitely one that will give a defense not used to seeing it problems. However, they don't run any foreign defenses. We are still not a Championship caliber team.... Yet.

Don't forget that the system we play in demands style points. If we are only 1 of 2 undefeated teams at the end of the year, no problem. If we are lumped into an undefeated year with more than 1 other program, you better believe that style points will come into play and we will know what Auburn fans felt like back in 2004.

With that being said, we are undefeated whether it be by 1 point or half a hundred. And I'll take that any time of the year. :)

1890MilesToNorman
9/19/2010, 09:10 AM
AFA put up some good numbers yesterday but we kept them 100 yards under their nation leading rushing average. AFA looked impressive to me.

Edited: and they did it in our house!!

Crucifax Autumn
9/19/2010, 09:10 AM
If we win out we'll be golden. Our SOS will look really nice at the end of the season.

Lott's Bandana
9/19/2010, 10:09 AM
I'd like to shove Lou down Mays throat those guys drive me to drink :D

Sometimes Lou sounds like Mays has been down his.

adoniijahsooner
9/19/2010, 10:18 AM
Hmmm. Didn't we see the same replies about Utah State? The same Utah State that got handled by Fresno State? Air Force's offense is definitely one that will give a defense not used to seeing it problems. However, they don't run any foreign defenses. We are still not a Championship caliber team.... Yet.

Don't forget that the system we play in demands style points. If we are only 1 of 2 undefeated teams at the end of the year, no problem. If we are lumped into an undefeated year with more than 1 other program, you better believe that style points will come into play and we will know what Auburn fans felt like back in 2004.

With that being said, we are undefeated whether it be by 1 point or half a hundred. And I'll take that any time of the year. :)

you didnt see the USU game did you? Utah State led that most of the second half, but fresno erupted in the fourth for 17 points.

hawaii 5-0
9/19/2010, 10:20 AM
That's just Lou's bad-fitting false teeth rattling around in his head.

5-0

tooslow
9/19/2010, 11:01 AM
you didnt see the USU game did you? Utah State led that most of the second half, but fresno erupted in the fourth for 17 points.

No, I did not see the game. Unfortunately, most (if not all) voters also did not see the game. They look at scores and then "guess" as to who should be ranked where. On the Gameday wrap-up, they already pointed out Boise States away demolition over Wyoming (51-6) was much more impressive then what the short whorns did at home against Wyoming (34-7). Obviously how different teams perform against a common opponent means nothing as far as how they may fare against one another, but the media thrives on that and teams are ranked accordingly.

rawlingsHOH
9/19/2010, 11:09 AM
Michigan-UMass knocked us out of the good, big name team wins close game over small timer niche.

ATM, too. though, i was impressed with AFA.

And the funny thing is UMass is a 1-AA, while AFA is a fringe Top 25 1-A school.

Whet
9/19/2010, 11:20 AM
One aspect you should consider is the OU game was not on an ABC/ESPN channel, so they would not spend too much time on the game. They would want to publicize the games on their networks.

bent rider
9/19/2010, 12:04 PM

What is sad is seeing FSU get 3x the votes of AFA in the coaches' poll. FSU?

Leroy Lizard
9/19/2010, 12:09 PM
Hmmm. Didn't we see the same replies about Utah State? The same Utah State that got handled by Fresno State?

Two things:

1. The game was tied in the 4th quarter.
2. Fresno State is probably pretty good.

tooslow
9/19/2010, 02:16 PM
Two things:

1. The game was tied in the 4th quarter.
2. Fresno State is probably pretty good.

I look at it the same way you do. All I'm saying is that people who vote in the polls look at scores and vote accordingly. We lost some votes, but our place in the coaches poll didn't change this week. We did drop a spot in the AP poll, though.

I'd just like to see OUr team play with more consistency, no matter who the opponent is.

If the Cincy game is close one, I just wonder if posts will be made about Cincy being, "much better than their record indicates.". :D

GKeeper316
9/19/2010, 02:18 PM
the AP poll is about as meaningful as... well i dont know. something that isnt meaningful at all

tooslow
9/19/2010, 04:04 PM
the AP poll is about as meaningful as... well i dont know. something that isnt meaningful at all

You're right.

However...... Alabama, Ohio State, Boise State, and OU go undefeated this year. Ohio State upsets Bama in the BCS MNC game and we slaughter Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl. The final AP poll has OU at #1. Would you say we were National Champs this year? :D

StoopTroup
9/19/2010, 04:11 PM
Boise State doesn't even get a BCS Bid.

If we go undefeated....our Strength of Schedule will be much better than I originally expected as the first 3 Teams we played are really preparing our guys for the long haul. If we're able to avoid injuries and give more young guys PT along the way....I think we are going to be a force to contend with. Bob is still keeping things hush in his playbook IMO. Mack looked like he was growing some sort of tumors on his face yesterday when I saw him during their Pre-game interview. Dude looks bad. I'm beginning to think the rumors of him leaving this year or next have merit.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/19/2010, 04:12 PM
Nevada Boise is going to be a huge game

MeMyself&Me
9/19/2010, 04:45 PM
You're right.

However...... Alabama, Ohio State, Boise State, and OU go undefeated this year. Ohio State upsets Bama in the BCS MNC game and we slaughter Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl. The final AP poll has OU at #1. Would you say we were National Champs this year? :D

I would not. Don't recognize the '03 one that USC claims so I don't see why I would claim an AP title in '10 under similar circumstances. BCS is the current system for championship. AP chose to be irrelevant.

I'm sure the athletic department would claim it, though, and put it on the stadium signage, programs, and whatnot. I would rather think we're better than 'bama though.