PDA

View Full Version : Nickel D vs Triple option = fail

Soonermagik
9/18/2010, 06:38 PM
No, I'm not panicking. I'm not mad at the players, but what were the coaches thinking? Put 8-9 guys in the box, stuff the run and force them to beat you with the pass.

This game should have been won by 17+. Instead, we were in a bend defense and it all most cost us. I'm not a knee jerk reaction guy, but this was a terrible game plan. I know, we won. :cool:

the_sooners_abide
9/18/2010, 06:41 PM
We won't see an offense like this again so that will help. AF was very deceptive. Half the time, I thought the fullback had it as they were running towards the wings. We got the win and we match up much better with Cincy.

rawlingsHOH
9/18/2010, 06:42 PM
I hear you. I thought we might see some '50' front. But they were satisfied with the old 4-2-5 (soft 4-4) that OSU and Mizzou used to run abut 5 years ago.

Okie35
9/18/2010, 06:45 PM
No, I'm not panicking. I'm not mad at the players, but what were the coaches thinking? Put 8-9 guys in the box, stuff the run and force them to beat you with the pass.

This game should have been won by 17+. Instead, we were in a bend defense and it all most cost us. I'm not a knee jerk reaction guy, but this was a terrible game plan. I know, we won. :cool:

It wasn't the defensive scheme it was more so missing tackles because players were tired or missing their assignments. Also, a couple of times players would take a wrong pursuit or look inside and they would get burnt.

Soonermagik
9/18/2010, 06:57 PM
It wasn't the defensive scheme it was more so missing tackles because players were tired or missing their assignments. Also, a couple of times players would take a wrong pursuit or look inside and they would get burnt.

Yeah, guys missed tackles, but it was more than that. They were getting 4-5 yards consistently on 1st down. Run support was in the secondary and by the time they got up to help AF got 4-5 yards.

It was a bad game plan. It's fine, we won. I know this was a tricky offense, but I feel the coaches gave AF too much respect in the passing department. I believe they had 300+ rushing yards.

Okie35
9/18/2010, 07:00 PM
Yeah, guys missed tackles, but it was more than that. They were getting 4-5 yards consistently on 1st down. Run support was in the secondary and by the time they got up to help AF got 4-5 yards.

It was a bad game plan. It's fine, we won. I know this was a tricky offense, but I feel the coaches gave AF too much respect in the passing department. I believe they had 300+ rushing yards.

Yea they did respect the pass I think more so after Jefferson was converting 3rd downs w/ his arm. They had 351 rushing yards and no 100 yard rushers :eek:. They did a good job distributing the ball.

cvsooner
9/18/2010, 08:22 PM
Yea they did respect the pass I think more so after Jefferson was converting 3rd downs w/ his arm. They had 351 rushing yards and no 100 yard rushers :eek:. They did a good job distributing the ball.

Okay, no hundred yard guys, but two (Jefferson and Tew) had, what, 95 or 96 yards each? Close enough.

VA Sooner
9/18/2010, 08:25 PM
Tough to plan for... thank god we don't play against another triple option team. Certainly demands more attention to assignment football and we were out of position a lot.

This is what it was like to play against ourselves in the 70's and 80's.