PDA

View Full Version : Landry Jones=Nate Hybl

cortezsooner
9/18/2010, 06:33 PM
I know I'll hear it for this one, but I've been a fan for most of 45 years, so I have an opinion.

I feel like the Sooners have a good enough team to make a run at the BCS Title this year, but I don't think they'll get there with Landry Jones at QB. It's like watching the Nate Hybl year when the team was really good, but with an average QB. Landry doesn't appear to have learned anything over the offseason...looks great at times, but at times looks like he has NO CLUE OR CONFIDENCE.

He's apparently the best option at QB on the team, but he don't seem to be progressing. He doesn't show that he can take over when it gets tough, he seems to shrink back and get tenative when he needs to be 'the man'. The only time he seems to be 'the man' is when things are going well.

Flame away, it's my opinion, and I hope I'm wrong.

CrimsonJim
9/18/2010, 06:36 PM
It's a bit too early to be making that claim. I have had those same flashes go through my head, but I block them out. We are undefeated. Until we lose a game due to QB play, I'm not going there. :D

the_sooners_abide
9/18/2010, 06:37 PM
Well, Landry played much better after the half. If he would have put the ball on the money, the score wouldn't have been so close. On the other hand, if Madu and Kenney would catch passes that hit them in the hands, we might have kept drives alive. Much improvement is needed team-wide going forward.

rawlingsHOH
9/18/2010, 06:38 PM
Better arm than Hybl, and Hybl's was decent. I see similarities, but we saw Hybl as a 22-23 year old also.

oumartin
9/18/2010, 06:42 PM
You mean the same qb that won a big 12 championship and won OU's last BCS bowl game?
Landry is no Nate Hybl

oulucas
9/18/2010, 06:43 PM
Yeah, he's just as "bad" as that Rose Bowl MVP.

CrimsonJim
9/18/2010, 06:44 PM
You mean the same qb that won a big 12 championship and won OU's last BCS bowl game?
Landry is no Nate Hybl

No he's not. He is going to be better.

proudsoonergal
9/18/2010, 06:45 PM
YES HE IS!!! NO HE'S NOT!!! YES HE IS!!! NO HE'S NOT!!!

Well, that's settled, then.

oumartin
Hopefully he will be but until he wins a big 12 championship I'll say Nate was better.

Nate got a bad rap

cortezsooner
Good points...Again, I'm hope I'm dead wrong. I just keep thinking he will start to show some more poise in a pressure situation, and I'm still waiting....:):)

It's tough to watch after having Sam and Josh and Jason!!!

SoonerDood
9/18/2010, 06:47 PM
Hybl from 01, not from 02. I'll take 02 Nate Hybl any day.

Okie35
9/18/2010, 06:47 PM
No he's not. He is going to be better.

I agree plus he's younger than when Hybl was taking snaps.

SoonerBBall
9/18/2010, 06:48 PM
It makes me sick that Sooner fans don't recognize how good Nate was when he played at OU. That guy played half a season with a cracked collar bone because of our terrible offensive line, but he gets all the **** for the problems that season. We can only hope he is as good or better than Nate Hybl, a Big XII champion and Rose Bowl MVP.

CrimsonJim
9/18/2010, 06:49 PM
Good points...Again, I'm hope I'm dead wrong. I just keep thinking he will start to show some more poise in a pressure situation, and I'm still waiting....:):)

It's tough to watch after having Sam and Josh and Jason!!!

Remember, he's just a sophomore...and if he doesn't get better, we have (what I believe to be) a young stud in waiting. http://www.olevetpossehideout.com/forums/images/smilies/yes.gif

Soonermagik
9/18/2010, 06:59 PM
You didn't say that last week. ;) I agree that he's really inconsistent. I've said if for a month now, but we should know who the real Landry Jones is after Texas.

jkjsooner
9/18/2010, 07:00 PM
I think Jones is slightly better than Hybl. Jones is inconsistent but he can light it up at times.

We did win the Rose Bowl with Hybl and he was the MVP but that was hardly indicative of his career. We overmatched WSU and Hybl had easy pickings with wide open receivers. As a comparison, when White wasn't injured our offense was like night and day compared to having Hybl back there.

Landry Jones is more mobile than Hybl. Hybl might have been a very good QB with a great offensive line but with the lines we had we really needed someone with mobility (like White before injury).

CrimsonJim
9/18/2010, 07:03 PM
You didn't say that last week. ;) I agree that he's really inconsistent. I've said if for a month now, but we should know who the real Landry Jones is after Texas.

Not sure who you were replying to on this, but I tend to agree about the game with *. He'd better have his chin strap tight during that game, 'cause they're going to be blitzing his arse until he proves he can make the right decisions.

rawlingsHOH
9/18/2010, 07:03 PM
Landry Jones is more mobile than Hybl. Hybl might have been a very good QB with a great offensive line but with the lines we had we really needed someone with mobility (like White before injury).

02 line was very solid. 01 line atrocious.

oumartin
9/18/2010, 07:04 PM
Your career is based on wins/losses and championships.

Nate has one and quite a stellar win/loss record.
landry hasn't accomplished squat yet...

I hope he wins a NC and a heisman but so far he's done nothing

KBoomer11
9/18/2010, 07:07 PM
I have to disagree that Landry has a better arm. He is terribly inconsistent throwing it downfield.

olevetonahill
9/18/2010, 07:08 PM
I know I'll hear it for this one, but I've been a fan for most of 45 years, so I have an opinion.

Ya also have an arsehole, Why show it ?:eek:

I feel like the Sooners have a good enough team to make a run at the BCS Title this year, but I don't think they'll get there with Landry Jones at QB. It's like watching the Nate Hybl year when the team was really good, but with an average QB. Landry doesn't appear to have learned anything over the offseason...looks great at times, but at times looks like he has NO CLUE OR CONFIDENCE.

He's apparently the best option at QB on the team, but he don't seem to be progressing. He doesn't show that he can take over when it gets tough, he seems to shrink back and get tenative when he needs to be 'the man'. The only time he seems to be 'the man' is when things are going well.

Flame away, it's my opinion, and I hope I'm wrong.

:P

rawlingsHOH
9/18/2010, 07:12 PM
I have to disagree that Landry has a better arm. He is terribly inconsistent throwing it downfield.

I'm talking about a better arm than Hybl, not Bradford.

KBoomer11
9/18/2010, 07:14 PM

Me too.

rawlingsHOH
9/18/2010, 07:20 PM
Your career is based on wins/losses and championships.

Nate has one and quite a stellar win/loss record.
landry hasn't accomplished squat yet...

I hope he wins a NC and a heisman but so far he's done nothing
Nate lost 3 games in 1.5 years as a starter, with a more veteran cast.

Their W/L record may not be much different in a couple months.

aero
9/18/2010, 07:45 PM
Hard to say at this point how good Landry is or isn't. Even when he has lots of yardage he doesn't impress me like others have. Seems like a good kid and seems to have the size and tools. But he just seems nervous or something. Not sure what it is. Hesitant? Uncomfortable? At this point I would say he is the weak link that could cause this team some losses. 3 and outs don't lead to anything good. Hope he turns it on and soon.

JRAM
9/18/2010, 07:53 PM
Nate Hybl was much better and more consistent.

soonerinabilene
9/18/2010, 08:11 PM
nate took a beating all season long unlike any ou qb ive ever seen and still led his team to a rose bowl win. he is one of the most underappreciated players in the stoops era.

VA Sooner
9/18/2010, 08:16 PM
I thought he was underappreciated too. Rewind back to the Rose Bowl when he threw that block against an over-sized foe and was thrown flat on his back. He got up laughing his head off but he did slow down the defender.

To me, that was his signature play that got him the MVP. Took a hit, laughed and then got back up to play again.

SoonerBacker
9/18/2010, 08:24 PM
Hope the OP is right. Hybl never lost to * as a starter. Since LJones didn't start the game last year, he could still repeat that!

User Name
9/18/2010, 08:50 PM
Sweet. Hybl won a Rose Bowl. Was even MVP.

swardboy
9/18/2010, 09:06 PM
Through 3 games Landry is 3-0, 62% completions, only 2 interceptions, averaging 284 yards passing/game....he's not a turn-over machine, and that equals points on the board the enemy is not getting.

And a season to improve....I'll take it.

soonergirlNeugene
9/18/2010, 09:09 PM
I've also caught myself thinking something similar. Hybl's Rose Bowl was very well-played, but it was the high water mark of his career. Too bad that it had to come during his last game. Hybl had the misfortune of being the starter between Heupel and White. Jason being the underclassman started behind Hybl, so when he was brought into a game, Hybl was clearly struggling and the immediate comparison was even more favorable to Jason.

But thats kinda where the main difference is. Hybl for all his talent was starting ahead of a more talented QB. There's no analogous situation for Landry.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/18/2010, 09:40 PM
Whether your an LJ supporter or not, one thing is for sure..From one game to the next, your not sure what your going to get...

I don't have an opinion one way or the other, but that point is the truth

stoops the eternal pimp
9/18/2010, 09:43 PM
And Hyb had a strong arm...I sure wouldnt say Jones is anywhere near that right now...

LiveLaughLove
9/18/2010, 09:55 PM
It's not Landry's stats that matter after watching him live today. It's his confidence (it gets shaken easily when he feels pressure), and he doesnt have good field vision.

He locks on receivers BADLY. Generally, he only looked off of his primary receiver when he scrambled and didn't react well.

Hybl, as I recall, scanned the field well. He didn't have the arm strength that Landry has, but I think he was more accurate, more confident, and made better reads.

I hope Landry gets much much better... he needs to.

OU can win with Landry but they have to dink and dunk on pre-planned calls with not much reading involved. Wilson is doing a good job of play calling to Landry's strengths and away from his weaknesses for the most part.

Collier11
9/18/2010, 09:58 PM
Nate lost 3 games in 1.5 years as a starter, with a more veteran cast.

Their W/L record may not be much different in a couple months.

Nate 21-3 with a Big 12 title and a Rose Bowl Title

Landry so far is 10-3...if Landry can have the team success that Hybl had, ill be pleased

stoops the eternal pimp
9/18/2010, 09:58 PM
I don't understand anyone saying Hybl's arm strength was less...Some of throws that he made against K State and texas were some of the most impressive I've seen

Collier11
9/18/2010, 09:59 PM
Whether your an LJ supporter or not, one thing is for sure..From one game to the next, your not sure what your going to get...

I don't have an opinion one way or the other, but that point is the truth

Atleast he isnt making the bad turnovers this year so far, his passes are off at times but they are off in a safe way < Bob Stoops

stoops the eternal pimp
9/18/2010, 10:02 PM
I think he is a lot better going quick than waiting on the call from the sideline...

His body is so out of position on rollouts...

ocsooner
9/18/2010, 10:06 PM

Bradford has a great arm, but more importantly, he has a great MIND. You can have an arm like mine, but if you have a even attitude and a good mind to go with it, you will win championships. See Josh Heupel.

rawlingsHOH
9/18/2010, 10:10 PM
And Hyb had a strong arm...I sure wouldnt say Jones is anywhere near that right now...
I would put them in the following order, in terms of velocity ...

1 Bradford
2 Bomar
3 L Jones
4 Thompson
5 Hybl
6 White
7 Heupel

I don't have all my old combine notes anymore, but I'm very confident I remember the bottom 4 correctly.

I love the radar gun.

OUthunder
9/18/2010, 10:20 PM
Quite frankly Hybl was a better qb than Jones IMO. Landry reminds me a lot of Cale Gundy, so we should win many more Brut Sun Bowls with him at the controls. I GUARANTEE you that Jones will never beat Texass or win a BCS game as a starting qb at OU.

CrimsonJim
9/18/2010, 10:21 PM
Quite frankly Hybl was a better qb than Jones IMO. Landry reminds me a lot of Cale Gundy, so we should win many more Brut Sun Bowls with him at the controls. I GUARANTEE you that Jones will never beat Texass or win a BCS game as a starting qb at OU.

That's the ole team spirit! :rolleyes:

stoops the eternal pimp
9/18/2010, 10:23 PM
I would put them in the following order, in terms of velocity ...

1 Bradford
2 Bomar
3 L Jones
4 Thompson
5 Hybl
6 White
7 Heupel

I don't have all my old combine notes anymore, but I'm very confident I remember the bottom 4 correctly.

I love the radar gun.

Better recheck that...I attended the combine from 02-06...

If you wanna go off that radar gun, PT had one of the highest speeds at the combine

rawlingsHOH
9/18/2010, 10:26 PM
Better recheck that...I attended the combine from 02-06...

If you wanna go off that radar gun, PT had one of the highest speeds at the combine

I think PT was around 55 mph, pretty average. Hybl about the same.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/18/2010, 10:29 PM
Ok...let me rephrase....Hybl didnt attend the combine

rawlingsHOH
9/18/2010, 10:30 PM
Ok...let me rephrase....Hybl didnt attend the combine
Talking about ball speed.

AzianSooner
9/18/2010, 10:32 PM
this topic makes me feel old. Landry does not know anything about Nate's story beyond the pictures and trophy displayed.

Blue
9/18/2010, 10:33 PM

I'll put a grand on that right now and you'll be paying me in two weeks. What a negative outlook on this team.

Blue
9/18/2010, 10:34 PM

Who gives a ****? The player ranked last won a title. Meaningless stat.

StoopTroup
9/18/2010, 10:34 PM
Sweet. Hybl won a Rose Bowl. Was even MVP.

And Landry won the SunBowl.

OUthunder
9/18/2010, 10:35 PM
I'll put a grand on that right now and you'll be paying me in two weeks. What a negative outlook on this team.

WE shall see. Come back and apologize in two weeks, OK. If OU wins, I will.

StoopTroup
9/18/2010, 10:35 PM
Who gives a ****? The player ranked last won a title. Meaningless stat.

Last I checked....Landry is 3-0 for this Season.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/18/2010, 10:36 PM

sorry but you said you had combine notes that listed the last 4 where you got those numbers, and I was just saying that wasn't possible

CrimsonJim
9/18/2010, 10:37 PM

I'll take a piece of that action too! That was pretty weak sauce.

Blue
9/18/2010, 10:38 PM
Last I checked....Landry is 3-0 for this Season.

I'm not dogging Landry. I'm dogging these armchair coaches and their meaningless stats.

Blue
9/18/2010, 10:39 PM

Why don't you apologize for sucking at being an OU fan?

yankee
9/18/2010, 10:39 PM
have faith people.

StoopTroup
9/18/2010, 10:40 PM

Some Folks continue to throw aggieisms out that make it so they can't lose. If Landry fails...they can be the internet message guy that called it....and if they are wrong....OU wins a bunch of games and they can bask in the glory that we were able to over-achieve and they can post their WIN - Win Scenario.

It's dooshtastic and not very Brave.

RedRum
9/18/2010, 10:41 PM
Jones in mediocre. He better learn how to throw something other than a bubble screen if we're going to beat some people this year. All I have to say is, thank God for Broyles, Stills and Murry.

OUthunder
9/18/2010, 10:41 PM
Why don't you apologize for sucking at being an OU fan?

Why don't you apologize for being a dumbass?

rawlingsHOH
9/18/2010, 10:45 PM
Jones in mediocre. He better learn how to throw something other than a bubble screen if we're going to beat some people this year. All I have to say is, thank God for Broyles, Stills and Murry.He throws them, and the swings, very well, and they aren't the easiest.

OUthunder
9/18/2010, 10:46 PM
He throws them, and the swings, very well, and they aren't the easiest.

True, just wish Madu and others would catch the damn ball.

sooner ngintunr
9/18/2010, 10:47 PM
I GUARANTEE you that Jones will never beat Texass or win a BCS game as a starting qb at OU.

What the **** is up with this ****?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/18/2010, 10:48 PM
Here is the problem IMO...

Bradford was a great quarterback...great.. Landry has the makings of a good qb...he isn't going to win a heisman or be all world....but he can be a good quarterback...frustration is the space between expectancy and reality...don't expect him to be amazing, sam bradford...he is a good qb..nothing wrong with that

OUthunder
9/18/2010, 10:50 PM
What the **** is up with this ****?

Was my post confusing? If so, let me spell it out for you IMOPO....

Landry is a decent college qb right now. Mo more, no less.

btb916
9/18/2010, 10:50 PM
One thing I did like that he did today was take off for a couple of runs. He had one really nice run in the second half I believe . . . I watched the Utah State game with my father, and he complained mercilessly that Landry wouldn't take off and run when there was open field. Glad to see him doing that tonight.

OUthunder
9/18/2010, 10:52 PM
Here is the problem IMO...

Bradford was a great quarterback...great.. Landry has the makings of a good qb...he isn't going to win a heisman or be all world....but he can be a good quarterback...frustration is the space between expectancy and reality...don't expect him to be amazing, sam bradford...he is a good qb..nothing wrong with that

Exactly, I just added my own personal feelings to what I think his career at OU will be like. I will cheer him like I have all OU players. I've never cussed the guy or anything like that. I just think that he's average at best and anything more than bowl wins like the Sun Bowl are an added bonus.

I hope he proves me wrong.

sooner ngintunr
9/18/2010, 10:54 PM
Was my post confusing? If so, let me spell it out for you IMOPO....

Landry is a decent college qb right now. Mo more, no less.

No, I got it. Your guaranteed losses for OU are ****ing lame.

StoopTroup
9/18/2010, 10:55 PM
True, just wish Madu and others would catch the damn ball.

Are you Hammered?

I mean...complain about Landry and then you wish the receivers would catch the ball.

You're wishing in your receiving hand and ****tin' in Landry's throwing hand.

If you are drinking....the viewpoint is understandable. If you're not...you should probably replay the game once the Urgent Care Docs give you a clean bill of health. It might be a tumor.

OUthunder
9/18/2010, 10:58 PM
Are you Hammered?

I mean...complain about Landry and then you wish the receivers would catch the ball.

You're wishing in your receiving hand and ****tin' in Landry's throwing hand.

If you are drinking....the viewpoint is understandable. If you're not...you should probably replay the game once the Urgent Care Docs give you a clean bill of health. It might be a tumor.

Whoa dude, how you doin, lol.

I was complaining about both. I know yer a home with crimson colored glasses, it's OK really.

It's also OK to disagree, have a great evening.

StoopTroup
9/18/2010, 11:03 PM
Huepel was mediocre and we won a NC. Dude had a couple of seasons under his belt before coming to OU and by the time he was a Senior and being touted for a Heisman, he was able to convince the NFL that he might have a shot at the BigTime. A hand injury in pre-season ended it and our fortune was to have him join OUr Team so he could recruit and Coach some mediocre QBs.

You weren't here after last weeks game posting this **** but your here after he goes 26-42 (61%) and a TD and ZERO INTs. ZERO. Guys dropped balls today that Landry put right in their hands too.

I understand that you want to believe this BS but I think Landry and Josh are gonna have you eating some crow out of mack browns 10 gallon colostomy bag.

rawlingsHOH
9/18/2010, 11:05 PM
Guys dropped balls today that Landry put right in their hands too.

Kenney scares me. I think he had 2 easy ones today.

StoopTroup
9/18/2010, 11:10 PM
I was watching through my blue tinted Brave glasses today. I did it because of Bob's Pre-game speech. Pure inspiration IMO. Much better than his original comment where he was put on the spot and asked us all to sing "Brave" instead of Sooners. Pure Class. Also his post game comments about why he did that pre-game speech on the Jumbo-tron made it even cooler IMO.

CrimsonJim
9/18/2010, 11:10 PM
Huepel was mediocre and we won a NC. Dude had a couple of seasons under his belt before coming to OU and by the time he was a Senior and being touted for a Heisman, he was able to convince the NFL that he might have a shot at the BigTime. A hand injury in pre-season ended it and our fortune was to have him join OUr Team so he could recruit and Coach some mediocre QBs.

You weren't here after last weeks game posting this **** but your here after he goes 26-42 (61%) and a TD and ZERO INTs. ZERO. Guys dropped balls today that Landry put right in their hands too.

I understand that you want to believe this BS but I think Landry and Josh are gonna have you eating some crow out of mack browns 10 gallon colostomy bag.

Now be easy on him, he's trying to bow out of that "GUARANTEE" he made. :P

StoopTroup
9/18/2010, 11:15 PM
How many times did Tech pick off Gilbert? :D

CrimsonJim
9/18/2010, 11:17 PM
I hope The Grape has the IQ of Chrissy Simms! :D

StoopTroup
9/18/2010, 11:19 PM
THE ANSWER IS 3 TIMES!

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=302612641

olevetonahill
9/18/2010, 11:20 PM

Money? Yer Mouth ? How much

StoopTroup
9/18/2010, 11:21 PM
He'll probably want some mediocre points.

SoonerKnight
9/18/2010, 11:22 PM
Personally he was frustrating but then again he is young and you have to remember that OU does not really schedule an easy out of conference schedule.

olevetonahill
9/18/2010, 11:26 PM
Personally he was frustrating but then again he is young and you have to remember that OU does not really schedule an easy out of conference schedule.

Yup . Man just think we coulda been playing ****in DUKE fer our 3rd game stead of USAFA;)

StoopTroup
9/18/2010, 11:28 PM
It was just as frustrating to watch Landry as it was the Defense.

Watching Madu have a day like he did today as opposed to last week was also frustrating. The Team just didn't gel. I know folks always put it on the QB but for me....it was an entire team going into a similar funk as they did in the USU Game.

CrimsonJim
9/18/2010, 11:38 PM
Money? Yer Mouth ? How much

He'll probably want some mediocre points.

He don't want NO part of it, 'cause his mouth done wrote a check his azz can't cash.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/18/2010, 11:39 PM
It was just as frustrating to watch Landry as it was the Defense.

Watching Madu have a day like he did today as opposed to last week was also frustrating. The Team just didn't gel. I know folks always put it on the QB but for me....it was an entire team going into a similar funk as they did in the USU Game.

This...DTs didn't play well...Beal was non existant...LB's were constantly out of position..everybody

stoops the eternal pimp
9/18/2010, 11:48 PM
Probably the most frustrating play of the game for me was their last TD when 4 for them I believe goes in motion to the right with Carter going with him....4 goes back the left and Carter never stops going right..by the time the snap comes and Carter realizes the player has gone in motion the other way, 4 has the ball on the edge and nobody can get in front of him

StoopTroup
9/18/2010, 11:55 PM
I still think he was drinking lightning and crapping thunder....

Where is that old Tommie Harris Fark anyway where he's eating lightning and farting flames?

Soonerus
9/18/2010, 11:58 PM
I think most people would agree I am an authority on this subject...Landry is light year's better than Hybl...

GKeeper316
9/19/2010, 01:12 AM
nate hybl was a great sooner qb.

goingoneight
9/19/2010, 01:16 AM
I think everybody here needs to look at a few points:

1. Landry Jones is NOT Josh Heupel, Nate Hyble, Jason White, Paul Thompson, Sam Bradford anymore than he is Tim Jefferson, Christian Ponder.

2. Landry is not with OUr 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000 or 1999 personnel. He's playing for the 2010 Sooners.

3. Nate Hybl doesn't win what he won without guys like Q, Clayton, Trent Smith and the best Stoops defense. Nor do guys like Heupel or White. You think if you put Sam Bradford at QB at Notre Dame right now that it's magically gonna make ND anything more than a team with an accurate QB?

4. Paul Thompson, just four short years ago was a guy week-in, week-out OUr fans got behind. Long before Sam Bradford ever took a snap at OU, none of OUr fans were dogging him for learning as he went along. Landry has 2010, 2011 and 2012 to become the next Jason White/Sam Bradford in your eyes. He's a good QB. He's OUr QB. I promise you, if anyone on the bench was better, we wouldn't be having this conversation, they'd have shown it by now. Sam and all other former Sooner QBs are about as available to OUr offense now as Billy Sims and Joe Washington. They're gone. Done at OU. Period.

5. Landry Jones > Matt Mauk, Matt Flynn, Greg McElroy, and for this particular offense Tim Tebow, Chris Leak. None of the above win BCS games. They do their part of a team effort to win BCS games.

Nobody on this site has gone out and predicted a seat in NYC for Jones right now. In the preseason? Yeah. But EVERY fanbase believes that in the off-season. Jones = good enough, and so far the whole team has = good enough.

We have many games left of the Landry Jones era to decide whether or not he becomes a Sooner great or just another good QB. To keep knocking on a guy for retarded things like "not able to win games" or "doesn't have swagger" is ridiculous. Look no further than Matt Leinart and Matt Cassell the last five years. Leinart wins a Heisman, an MNC, is drafted in the first round, starts for an NFL team as a rookie, and eventually craps dwn his legs and sinks into mediocrity. Cassel rarely plays at USC, endsup a scout team QB thrown into action for New England and looks like a superstar... then ends up looking like Matt Leinart when he goes to a bad team. What does this say other than no two guys are exactly alike and that the supporting cast is what tells the tale of a "championship team?"

Again:
Landry = good, with still plenty of time to get better. I don't remember the routine drops of Cameron Kenney and Co. when Sam was playing. No, I remember guys like Malcom Kelly, Juaqin Iglesias, Jermaine Gresham and Co. making highlight reel plays week in, week out.

I'm frustrated when Landry has an off day as much as anybody, but the two "off days" so far, he's had a lot of assistance stinking it up out there. And you know what, he's 3-0... just like Nate Hybl throwing four interceptions in Dallas, and being crowned a great QB because his team beat Texas. Is Garrett Gilbert going to throw five INTs? Who knows... but try and get it out of your head that Landry is anything more or less than the best we have available right now and he has plenty of time to straighten things out.

Leroy Lizard
9/19/2010, 08:07 AM
Don't forget that he's only thrown two INTs so far this year. He hasn't been stellar, but he hasn't cost us any games either.

RedstickSooner
9/19/2010, 08:58 AM
Don't trash the 'stache, yo.

htownsooner7
9/19/2010, 09:02 AM
What is so frustrating to me is the fact that he does not handle adversity well. When we catch the swing passes, he gets confidence and gets better. When we don't, he presses. That fourth down throw was terrible. No pressure. He needed to wait in the pocket for one more second and then Broyles pops wide open. He panicked and threw the ball too early.

StoopTroup
9/19/2010, 09:08 AM
nate hybl was a great sooner qb.

That's kind of my whole point too.

Gary Gibbs took a bunch of crap from folks in Crimson. He was HC. It's his job to deal with it. Nate was a football player and he competed with one of our greatest QBs - Jason White. It was awesome to have them both on our Team. Nate was a Sooner. People need to respect how he continued to lay it on the line in every game he played. I saw how that guy took losing that Nebraska game on the road after Jason blew his knee out. It was a tough day for everyone on our Team that day. Still....Nate picked up where Jason left off and continue to play like a Champion every snap until he held that Rose Bowl Trophy and shut Jim Traber's fantastic blow hole.

The Maestro
9/19/2010, 09:12 AM
Quit throwing to Cam Kenney every third and long. That would be a good place to start for corrective measures.

Kenney must be one helluva practice player.

LePetomaine
9/19/2010, 09:14 AM
Doe you think his question marks are related to decision making or sub-par execution? The camera angles I got on the broadcast in Houston made it hard to tell. And, by the way, QB play was pretty weak all over the place yesterday -- A&M, UT, UH, Rice (yes, I know this has a decidedly Texas lean to it), but they all had troubles. Went to the Rice - NWestern game, and that Owl was slinging balls ten yards above receivers' heads. Maybe some type of half moon curse going on yesterday.

StoopTroup
9/19/2010, 09:19 AM
Air Force put on a pretty good rush yesterday at times. Those players are pretty smart guys. Not only do they follow instructions well....they play as a Team pretty good too. It's not the first time they have fielded a Football Team either. I've noticed that they don't taking losing lightly. I wonder why that is?

Also....some of those Female Air Force Cheerleaders are smoking hawt.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2608/3997205944_2c1f574f4b.jpg

http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/web/071031-f-9915L-901.jpg

rawlingsHOH
9/19/2010, 10:54 AM
What I am seeing from Landry right now, is a guy who struggles when is asked go thru down the field progressions. But when his assignment is essentially determined presnap, like on the bubbles and screens, he's confident and generally makes a great throw. Typical of a young QB. Also I see a guy who looks a little afraid to put some touch on the ball. Kind of like a pitcher afraid to throw the change-up. If he puts some air under the ball on a few of those seam/post area throws, he can drop them in like we saw Bradford/White do. Be confident!

badger
9/19/2010, 10:54 AM
So we're gonna win the Big 12 AND the Rose Bowl this year??? :D:D:D:D:D:D

PLaw
9/19/2010, 12:55 PM

Bingo, but the play calling could help him out, too. Against FSU, the Noles sold out to stop the run and the play calling got the QB in a nice rhythm. When Landry has struggled, the play calling has not created an opportunity for him to get into a rhythm. Of course, some sure handed receiving and better protection against blitzes would help, too.

Boomer,

Crucifax Autumn
9/19/2010, 12:57 PM
I think he was just distracted by his stache tickling his nose.

yankee
9/19/2010, 01:01 PM
on a positive note (shocking!), landry seems to have settled down on the short throws in the middle. i remember last season he would throw bullets or throw high on many of those seemingly simple throws, but he seems to have gotten over that. just a thought. i like positivity.

StoopTroup
9/19/2010, 01:02 PM
What I am seeing from Landry right now, is a guy who struggles when is asked go thru down the field progressions. But when his assignment is essentially determined presnap, like on the bubbles and screens, he's confident and generally makes a great throw. Typical of a young QB. Also I see a guy who looks a little afraid to put some touch on the ball. Kind of like a pitcher afraid to throw the change-up. If he puts some air under the ball on a few of those seam/post area throws, he can drop them in like we saw Bradford/White do. Be confident!

I saw a couple of our guys stop running and watch the ball go over their head yesterday instead of keeping their eye on the ball and running to it (3rd and 8 4:28 left 1st qtr...AF Blitz on...Kenney gets jammed up and quits on the ball . Also was double coverage. Landry tried to drop it in for Kenney). So I don't know what you are talking about. Also saw Landry throw towards the North EZ into triple coverage and instead of dropping it in for a INT he led the receiver and the receiver basically stayed in the drop zone instead of trying to make a play on the ball. 7:30 left in the 3rd qtr Landry hits Kenney right in the freaking hands and he drops the ball. 2nd and 10, same series, SF puts on the corner blitz and Landry has to get rid of the ball. 3rd and ten...Landry goes down-field to Broyles....AF makes a good play. 8:43 left in the 4th qtr....Landry to Madu....hits him right in the hands...Madu drops it. 7:33 4th qtr 3rd and 8 to Miller....pass was tipped by defender....good play by defense....Miller still gets a little hand on it...definitely a bad pass by Landry. 7:20 4th and 8th AF puts blitz on and Landry is rushed to throw into double coverage to Broyles....announcer says Broyles is WIDE OPEN! LMAO.... It takes two to tango.

At the beginning of the 4th qtr...OU had scored 17 unaswered points on AF and it was 27-10. All we needed was for the Defense to shut them down. Anyone putting this game on Landry is crazy.

rawlingsHOH
9/19/2010, 01:08 PM
Yep, lots of improvement possible all the way around. Young guys get better!

ashley
9/19/2010, 01:11 PM
You know what they say about openions.

Collier11
9/19/2010, 01:11 PM
That yours suck and you can't spell opinions

soonerbub
9/19/2010, 01:12 PM
Switzer on the broadcast said Landry will be a 1st round pick--I gotta go with Barry. Don't know why people ? his arm seems like he throws 40+ yd bullets to me plus he rarely throws a duck (not the case last yr). Can he be more accurate? Yeah but I'll take my chances with him (no more 5 oskie games tho plzkthx)

rawlingsHOH
9/19/2010, 01:13 PM
Switzer on the broadcast said Landry will be a 1st round pick--I gotta go with Barry. Don't know why people ? his arm seems like he throws 40+ yd bullets to me plus he rarely throws a duck (not the case last yr). Can he be more accurate? Yeah but I'll take my chances with him (no more 5 oskie games tho plzkthx)

Yep, has all the physical.

Collier11
9/19/2010, 01:14 PM
He is STILL just a sophomore, he isnt Bradford so people need to get that out of their heads.

TXBOOMER
9/19/2010, 01:23 PM

Pretty much right on. If he tries to force those post patterns with no air under them against athletic teams like * they will get oskied. I just want Landry to not throw the picks. If he keeps that up we will be in every game and have a pretty good chance to win them all.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/19/2010, 01:52 PM

How many games has he hit 40+ yd bullets in?

BTW, im not being negative about him, because I haven't seen anything that shows how good he is downfield...I haven't seen those plays..

Collier11
9/19/2010, 02:00 PM
I dont think KW has really called those type plays for him so we really dont know. Sometimes our coaches over protect our players, we are gonna have to be able to throw down field at some point

StoopTroup
9/19/2010, 02:14 PM

BTW, im not being negative about him, because I haven't seen anything that shows how good he is downfield...I haven't seen those plays..

36 yds is pretty close. Maybe by the time he's a Senior he'll be hitting at least some 37 yarders....lol

soonerbub
9/19/2010, 02:26 PM
haven't seen those plays..

Didn't say he hit em just that he threw em ;)
He seems to think his receivers are 8 ft tall at times. I see him as throwing a lot of line drives vs lofting the ball (a la Jason or Josh). Isn't that an accuracy prob instead of strength?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/19/2010, 04:05 PM
36 yds is pretty close. Maybe by the time he's a Senior he'll be hitting at least some 37 yarders....lol

36 yard play - 19 yards of Broyles Yac = 17 yard "bullet" :D

stoops the eternal pimp
9/19/2010, 04:07 PM
Didn't say he hit em just that he threw em ;)
He seems to think his receivers are 8 ft tall at times. I see him as throwing a lot of line drives vs lofting the ball (a la Jason or Josh). Isn't that an accuracy prob instead of strength?

well what games has he thrown 40 yard passes in? like collier says, they haven't really had deep throwing plays with him

OUthunder
9/19/2010, 04:12 PM
This thread is extremely funny.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/19/2010, 04:17 PM
What I am seeing from Landry right now, is a guy who struggles when is asked go thru down the field progressions. But when his assignment is essentially determined presnap, like on the bubbles and screens, he's confident and generally makes a great throw.

I can agree with this...and he does an excellent job of putting the ball in a place where the receivers can run with the ball after the catch..

soonerbub
9/19/2010, 04:18 PM
It was a play action v Ut St and incomplete. I remember him standing on the 10 and throwing it just past the 50. It just stuck in my mind because I thought wow cannon. Then again I had some gameday cocktails and might be "misremembering". So is his biggest problem strength or accuracy?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/19/2010, 04:26 PM
probably confidence in my opinion...in himself, his line, his wr...

He literally flushes himself out of the pocket at times, if he has to make a progression, he starts chopping his feet and gets flustered easy

pocket presence is an issue...still, leads his WR well, throws those bubbles and other screens well...

StoopTroup
9/19/2010, 04:32 PM
0:50

vuyPuxxyavY

stoops the eternal pimp
9/19/2010, 04:36 PM
Bradford...da man Broyles...allsome

StoopTroup
9/19/2010, 04:40 PM
The truth is....Wilson isn't putting Broyles on a lot of routes where he is going to get a 40+ yard catch. I think the guy could tear it up if he and Landry got the call a bit more. The Coaches seem really more into moving the ball down field on long drives and being really good at completing the 3rd and long situations.

I have to think that they are saving the long stuff for later in the Season. They are completely conservative the 1st few games every year and every year I hear folks bag on the Coaches and the QB and Bob Barry. I think it's Brave of me to continue to endure it. :D

soonerbub
9/19/2010, 04:44 PM
Speaking of 40+ yd bullets Brady to Moss was bad *** just now before the half. Dropped it to him from a standstill

oh and the choice of music in that video succs

stoopified
9/19/2010, 04:51 PM
When I first saw this thread,I ignored it for several days BUT then I decided I would try to examine the numbers for comparison sake.

Hybl: 464-791 58.7% 40 TDs/23 INTs 5,091 YDs 20-3 record as starter including Cotton Bowl and Rose Bowl wins,1 conference title

Jones: 334-567 58.9% 33 TDs/16 INTs 4,049 YDs 10-3 as a starter including Sun Bowl victory

I think statistically they are VERY similar and I would be also be inclined to agree that Jones is much like Nate from a mental standpoint as well since both have comfort issues in the pocket.Having said that however I would remind everyone that Nate got better from year one to year two and Landry has too,although I admit maybe not as fast or as much as fans might like.

The good news however is Landry is only a sophomore and only THREE GAMES into his soph year at that.Nate had the advatage of playing with a better D and I think while Landry needs improvement so does his supporting cast. I say before this can be a comlete comparison betwenn Hateand Landry we need to wait until this season is over. However if the best landry can do is go 20-3 with TWO bowl wins (1 BCS),and a conference title that ain't bad AND Landry would still have 2 more years to improve.

Don't get me wrong,I would much rather have Bradford 2.0 but Hybl 2.0 beats Bomar 2.0 .

Collier11
9/19/2010, 04:53 PM
UT will be a huge test mentally for Landry, if he can go in and play anything other than like he did against Nebraska last year, we will be fine.

soonerbub
9/19/2010, 05:03 PM
Not only nu but better than in the cotton bowl last yr. Those 4th Q ints were daggers. I think this year's battle with the whorns comes down to Demarco more than Landry tho

goingoneight
9/19/2010, 05:12 PM
Under ideal circumstances (given no bad luck or injuries), OUr OL is better this season so far than it was going into the RRS last year and we should have Broyles healthy on punt returns. The WRs are marginally better, but not like by a mile or anything.

OUthunder
9/19/2010, 05:55 PM
well what games has he thrown 40 yard passes in? like collier says, they haven't really had deep throwing plays with him

He also needs to know when to pull the ball down and take a 3-4 yard gain instead of a sack or incompletion. He did it once or twice against AFA to my relief.

WA. Sooner
9/19/2010, 08:18 PM
Does that mean we win a BCS bowl? I'm fine with that

stoops the eternal pimp
9/19/2010, 08:28 PM
this is a year where you don't need a great quarterback..a good one will do

stoops the eternal pimp
9/19/2010, 08:35 PM
The truth is....Wilson isn't putting Broyles on a lot of routes where he is going to get a 40+ yard catch. D

Exactly...thats why I don't understand(not just bubs but others) about how great down the field he is when we aren't even running routes that far down field...

StoopTroup
9/19/2010, 09:34 PM
The Cotton Bowl might help change a few things up IMO.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/19/2010, 09:36 PM
I don't understand why everyone is obsessing over Jones when there was ****ty work being done all over the field.. For Christ's sake people, the whole team and staff seemed to be in a daze yesterday and everybody is worked up over Jones...

T Lewis leaves the field, coaches watch him walk off the field, they send nobody in, air force is about to snap the ball while we have 10 guys on the field...we barely get the TO called....

4th down, their offense stays on the field, and our ST comes on the field, Broyles is back to receive a punt, and nobody notices it til late and burn another...

missed tackles, blown blocking assignments,drops, coaching mistakes..folks it was an ugly win, but a win no less...but don't act like Jones was the lead and lone reason the game was close yesterday..

OUthunder
9/20/2010, 04:57 PM
I don't understand why everyone is obsessing over Jones when there was ****ty work being done all over the field.. For Christ's sake people, the whole team and staff seemed to be in a daze yesterday and everybody is worked up over Jones...

T Lewis leaves the field, coaches watch him walk off the field, they send nobody in, air force is about to snap the ball while we have 10 guys on the field...we barely get the TO called....

4th down, their offense stays on the field, and our ST comes on the field, Broyles is back to receive a punt, and nobody notices it til late and burn another...

missed tackles, blown blocking assignments,drops, coaching mistakes..folks it was an ugly win, but a win no less...but don't act like Jones was the lead and lone reason the game was close yesterday..

I concur but he IS the qb at the University of Oklahoma. He'll always be under scrutiny no matter what. He can thank winning and Bradford for that in some part.

BoulderSooner79
9/20/2010, 05:39 PM
I don't believe folks here think LJ will ever play at Bradford's level. Most the complaints are about consistency; not reliably playing at a high level that he has proven he can. I attribute that adaptability. Each team is going to show a different look by different athletes. We may see good protection and open receivers the same, but I'm sure the whole picture looks different to the QB with each opponent. The well coached teams can vary their own look too. This get exaggerated in road games where each venue is different too. It takes a special QB to adjust for all these factors execute at a high level all the time. This road game at Cinny will be a good gauge of how LJ has improved since last season.

Fraggle145
9/20/2010, 06:14 PM
I think he is a lot better going quick than waiting on the call from the sideline...

His body is so out of position on rollouts...

I agree with this... It also minimizes the locking onto receivers being such a bad thing. The faster we go the better he is; at least that is what the FSU game tells me.

Fraggle145
9/20/2010, 06:16 PM
I don't believe folks here think LJ will ever play at Bradford's level. Most the complaints are about consistency; not reliably playing at a high level that he has proven he can.

Part of that is simply being a sophomore... Sam Bradford was a freak.

BoulderSooner79
9/20/2010, 06:30 PM
Part of that is simply being a sophomore... Sam Bradford was a freak.

Agreed on both accounts. Some QBs get better with experience and some peak out at this level. I think this unknown is what is causing the angst.

King Barry's Back
9/20/2010, 10:59 PM
nate took a beating all season long unlike any ou qb ive ever seen and still led his team to a rose bowl win. he is one of the most underappreciated players in the stoops era.

You are absolutely right. Nate's biggest handicap is that he played just after a Heisman runner-up, with a Heisman winner, and a couple years before another Heisman winner.

That's what make him look bad by comparison.

He still had a better NFL career than Josh or Jason, though!