PDA

View Full Version : Classic Trap Game

Okie35
9/18/2010, 06:00 PM
Don't blame the defensive we just couldn't stop that gimmick triple option and hats off to Air Force. They are really disciplined. At least we had no turnovers and now we can get back to real football schemes. That's not a knock on Air Force either they played a hell of a game. They're blitzes were pretty good too.

OUinFLA
9/18/2010, 06:03 PM
Seems to me that when we ran that offence, we managed a ton of yards but........ about 8 fumbles a game. AF didnt fumble the ball. Well..... not 8 times.

misplaced_sooner
9/18/2010, 06:04 PM
I agree, odd offense but works well considering the service academies weight and fitness restrictions. Overall, a win is a win.

rawlingsHOH
9/18/2010, 06:06 PM
Don't blame the defensive we just couldn't stop that gimmick triple option and hats off to Air Force. They are really disciplined. At least we had no turnovers and now we can get back to real football schemes. That's not a knock on Air Force either they played a hell of a game. They're blitzes were pretty good too.

Gimmick or not, MIKE linebackers consistently missing tackles will often lead them to the bench.

Leroy Lizard
9/18/2010, 06:08 PM
That wasn't a real football scheme?

BoulderSooner79
9/18/2010, 06:09 PM
I dunno, the triple option in it's various forms is one of the most established offenses in college football. Not as much in the passing QB era, but historically. The production AFA had didn't surprise me, but I thought our offense would get a lot more - around 40 pts.

76soonergrad
9/18/2010, 06:10 PM
Ironic we would struggle against a wishbone offense, OU's bread & butter of the '70s.

BetterSoonerThanLater
9/18/2010, 06:10 PM
the way i see it, we had A WEEK to prepare for an offense that we are only going to see 1 time. granted the tackling was poor at times, but overall, i'll take the win and be happy. for a team that avgs over 400 yds/ game on the ground, we knew we were gonna give up some yards, but we made it through. lets move on and prepare for Cincy

ouwasp
9/18/2010, 06:11 PM
triple option is unorthodox in this day and age...

Survive and advance.

TXBOOMER
9/18/2010, 06:12 PM
Gimmick or not, MIKE linebackers consistently missing tackles will often lead them to the bench.

Wort needs to get that trash cleaned up. He was also sucking wind like a fatboy in 2 a days.

Okie35
9/18/2010, 06:14 PM

You know why they missed most of the time because they were TIRED. No excuse but I highly doubt the defense misses that many tackles next week. Air Force is a team thats really hard to practice/prepare for.

CrimsonJim
All I know is we don't need teams like that on our schedule, NO MORE! :)

Okie35
Wort needs to get that trash cleaned up. He was also sucking wind like a fatboy in 2 a days.

Yup they kept pounding the ball. Air Force pretty much perfected the triple option.

ouleaf
9/18/2010, 06:20 PM
A win is a win....just a little upset about letting them back in it after going up 27-10.

Hell of a game for Jimmmaaayyyy. That was some clutch kicking when we needed it. DeMarco was awesome. Landry is gonna drive me insane before the end of the season.

BoulderSooner79
9/18/2010, 06:21 PM
I only saw a couple of missed tackles on up the middle plays. Remember, those guys are just trying to find who has the ball and it causes them to hesitate for a beat. I thought the secondary guys were great today on tackles and stopped the runners cold on the outside plays. i noticed the linebackers and safeties were hesitant to come up and just take out a blockers, instead trying to sneak around the blocker. The result is they took themselves out of the play and the blocker moved on and blocked somebody else. Probably not a big deal because we won't see anything close to this scheme again unless we happen to hit it in a bowl game.

Okie35
9/18/2010, 06:24 PM
I only saw a couple of missed tackles on up the middle plays. Remember, those guys are just trying to find who has the ball and it causes them to hesitate for a beat. I thought the secondary guys were great today on tackles and stopped the runners cold on the outside plays. i noticed the linebackers and safeties were hesitant to come up and just take out a blockers, instead trying to sneak around the blocker. The result is they took themselves out of the play and the blocker moved on and blocked somebody else. Probably not a big deal because we won't see anything close to this scheme again unless we happen to hit it in a bowl game.

Yup exactly. Its hard to to not jump even if you're disciplined because they keep coming at you and coming at you. It's pretty tiring but for the most part I'm glad the defense subdued it and that the game is over. On to Cincinnati :D

Statalyzer
9/18/2010, 06:26 PM
that gimmick triple option
That's not a knock on Air Force

"Gimmick" sure sounds like a knock on Air Force.

It's not any more of a gimmick than any other offensive scheme, it's just less common.

Indy Sooner
9/18/2010, 06:46 PM
It's not a gimmick but perhaps is considered such by those without much football knowledge. It works well for AFA, as it did for scores of other programs throughout the years, and creates difficulties for defenses unaccustomed to such myriad actions between QB and the multiple potential ball carriers.

The concern I left with today was the ability of smaller linemen practicing superior technique to more than hold their own with the bigger and supposedly "more athletic" OU D-line and LBs. I would enjoy seeing the AFA offense go up against, say, the 'Bama defense...would the uniqueness of the scheme and the efficiency with which AFA runs it give truly top-notch defense units similar problems?

bluedogok
9/18/2010, 06:50 PM
Ironic we would struggle against a wishbone offense, OU's bread & butter of the '70s.
Why?
What they ran 40 years ago has no bearing on the game that is played today. Most of the players have probably never played against a wishbone team since so few run it in high school anymore. The rules are set up to favor the passing game over the running game, 40 years ago that wasn't the case. I remember blocking drills back then, keeping your hands in to avoid holding calls. What they do now every offensive lineman would be called for holding on every play back then.

Okie35
9/18/2010, 06:51 PM
"Gimmick" sure sounds like a knock on Air Force.

It's not any more of a gimmick than any other offensive scheme, it's just less common.

Actually its a system but still a gimmick.

a gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries.

Trust me the triple option is a gimmick. It's unique :D. So, its not a knock. I use the classic definition.:cool:

Okie35
9/18/2010, 06:53 PM
It's not a gimmick but perhaps is considered such by those without much football knowledge. It works well for AFA, as it did for scores of other programs throughout the years, and creates difficulties for defenses unaccustomed to such myriad actions between QB and the multiple potential ball carriers.

The concern I left with today was the ability of smaller linemen practicing superior technique to more than hold their own with the bigger and supposedly "more athletic" OU D-line and LBs. I would enjoy seeing the AFA offense go up against, say, the 'Bama defense...would the uniqueness of the scheme and the efficiency with which AFA runs it give truly top-notch defense units similar problems?

I've heard analysts that have played football(throughout college and the NFL) call certain offenses gimmicks. I only said it because its not a pro style offense and once again its unique. I agree that it works for AFA.

BoulderSooner79
9/18/2010, 07:16 PM
I consider the Mike Leach style spread with the O-linemen spread 10 yards* apart much more of a gimmick than an option running attack.

*maybe I stretched that a bit

VA Sooner
9/18/2010, 08:48 PM
They played a hell of a game and I'm impressed in how they ran that triple option. I remember the option we ran in the 80's and how we fooled quite a few... but they were also the days of many fumbles per game.

Rotnei Anderson anyone?

MeMyself&Me
9/18/2010, 11:12 PM
*maybe I stretched that a bit

Pun intended?

Really though, it's been a LONG time since I've seen triple option run so beautifully and I loved watching it. I just wish it wasn't against my Sooners. I grew up watching triple option out of the wishbone and I'd forgotten how much I missed it.