PDA

View Full Version : May God be with this young man now.

oudavid1
9/18/2010, 01:48 AM
http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/high-school/WO-S_quarterback_taken_off_of_field_by_stretcher.html ?c=y&page=1#storytop

WEST ORANGE, Texas - West Orange-Stark football player Reggie Garrett died Friday after he collapsed on the sideline during a high school football game at Dan R. Hooks Stadium.

Garrett appeared unresponsive as medics carted him off the field following his collapse midway through the second quarter. Medics loaded Garrett into an ambulance and the game continued to its conclusion, a 27-6 victory for WO-S against Jasper.

Garrett was pronounced dead at Memorial Hermann Baptist-Orange at 9:30 p.m. Friday night, according to hospital spokeswoman Mary Poole.

Garrett arrived at the emergency room at 8:30 p.m. Poole said an autopsy has been ordered and the death is being investigated.

WO-S coach Dan Hooks said Garrett appeared to experience a seizure. Hooks said Garrett’s mother said Garrett had suffered a seizure “maybe three years ago,” said Hooks, who credited Garrett as a much-improved team leader.

A 6-foot-2, 175-pound senior quarterback, Garrett had just thrown his second touchdown pass of the game and trotted to the sideline. He collapsed after an extra point gave WO-S a 21-0 lead.

“I saw him come off the field, and he was kind of, ‘Yay, good shot.’ He was happy,” Hooks said. “That was all. There wasn’t any major reaction.”

WO-S assistant coach Cornel Thompson said players tapped his shoulder and pointed to Garrett after he got to the sideline.

“Kids tapped me on the shoulder and said, ‘Coach, Reggie,’” Thompson said. “I turned around and seen him on his knees and then moved him on his side. They thought he was having a seizure.”

Several WO-S players dropped to one knee as medics tended to Garrett. Other players put their arms around each other as the stadium fell silent. Medics slowly removed Garrett shoulder pads and jersey top as he lay motionless on his side.

Word about Garrett’s death began to filter through the stadium soon after the third quarter began. WO-S held a 27-0 halftime lead, and the teams continued to play until the final seconds ticked off the clock.

Hooks said the teams continued to play because of the uncertainty about Garrett’s status.

“We really didn’t know until, we just kind of found out,” Hooks said. “I couldn’t verify. It was kind of a rumor. It was just horrible.”

Garrett was a second-year varsity starting quarterback well liked by his teammates.

“You see how these kids reacted,” Hooks said. “He’s just super. A good student. It will be hard for them. It will take a long time for them to get over that. Me too.”

Some things go straight to your core. This story is apart of me now.

Prayers For Reggie and his family.

yermom
9/18/2010, 02:09 AM
how awful. sounds like it could have happened anytime

agoo758
9/18/2010, 02:12 AM
Events like these really put things into perspective. At the end of the day, football is only a game and their are others things much more important.

SoonerBorn68
9/18/2010, 02:14 AM
A similar event happened in Chickasha the other day. Very sad. Please keep these young men and their families in your thoughts and prayers.

sooner59
9/18/2010, 02:16 AM
Man, this is a bad deal. I hate to hear this type of thing. You just can't predict things like this. I think we have a few guys from that school as well. They probably know the kid. Just makes you take your life in perspective.

CrimsonRez
9/18/2010, 06:17 AM
That's so hard to hear...just one of those freak accidents. God be with him

AustinSooner36
9/18/2010, 07:11 AM
Bet he needed an external defibrillator. They had to of had one.

CBUS_SOONER
9/18/2010, 07:51 AM
breaks your heart

olevetonahill
9/18/2010, 07:53 AM
very Sad
68 what happened there ?

Flagstaffsooner
9/18/2010, 08:03 AM
very Sad
68 what happened there ?

http://newsok.com/chickasha-football-player-has-died-at-ou-medical-center/article/3495821

SunnySooner
9/18/2010, 08:24 AM
One of the players for our rival high school (5 miles away) died in a very similar way during two-a-days. He had been dating a girl in my school for over a year, so a lot of us knew him too. It was horrible for both schools, teenagers are going thru a lot as it is, to add something like this is overwhelming. Prayers for all of them, it's going to be a rough year for them, so sad.

OU-HSV
9/18/2010, 08:27 AM
Just awful

cccasooner2
9/18/2010, 11:18 AM
Sounds like the kid had a brain aneurysm.

Crucifax Autumn
9/18/2010, 11:19 AM
Sad deal all around.

turner78
9/18/2010, 02:09 PM
A similar thing happened my senior year in high school, our starting qb died during basketball practice. It turned out that he had some sort of undetected heart problem. RIP Chris