PDA

View Full Version : Miltary coup at Lloyd Noble Center...

bent rider
9/17/2010, 04:58 PM
Rumors are true. The US Air Force has taken over part of the parking lot by the East Entrance to Lloyd Noble. They have a jet fighter parked there, labelled US Thunderbirds and semi-trailer marked "Command Unit Alpha". The jet is under an inflatable "hanger" that looks like a gray quanset hut type deal. They were not open for business but it looks like they are set up for tours and such tomorrow, so maybe some of you might want to take the kiddos by there before the game. When I get a sec I'll upload pic from my phone.

The Ghost of Mex
9/17/2010, 05:04 PM
Can you say, "Red Dawn"...

Wolverines!!!

yermom
9/17/2010, 05:46 PM
i heard them flying over campus this afternoon

bent rider
9/17/2010, 06:33 PM
Here is the promised pic... I'm sure parking patrol will be over shortly to cite this vehicle for no permit and parking in several spaces.

http://www.kbrews.com/sooners/LNC_Fighter_600.jpg

VA Sooner
9/17/2010, 06:36 PM
At least quadruple if not quintuple parked!

sooner ngintunr
9/17/2010, 06:39 PM
That's cool. I saw the Thunderbirds @ VAFB when I was like 10. It was awesome. Kiddos are going to be all over that display.

afs
9/17/2010, 08:45 PM
whatever you do, don't sign any paperwork.

SoonerStormchaser
9/17/2010, 08:50 PM
whatever you do, don't sign any paperwork.

I learned that one at SERE.

SoonerStormchaser
9/17/2010, 08:51 PM

Dude...I'm still questioning why we can't get one of my jets to do a flyover...we're the local boy who gets no respect.

StoopTroup
9/17/2010, 09:21 PM
Blue Angels Rule! :D

http://pugethound.com/gallavanter/files/2010/08/BlueAngels1.jpg

C&CDean
9/17/2010, 09:29 PM
Having been raised at airshows my entire life, and having seen all of the military flight teams umpteen times, I can say, with complete confidence that the Blue Angels couldn't carry the Thunderbirds' jocks. Not today anyhow. The F-16 is a much hotter plane. Also, back in the day I watched the T-Birds when they flew F-4s. I'm sorry, but a half-dozen F-4s getting their rock on smokes anything the Navy can throw in the air. Yes, the Navy flew F-4s too, but not in their demo team.

StoopTroup
9/17/2010, 09:32 PM
The Air Force flies jocks?

C&CDean
9/17/2010, 09:35 PM
Just STFU and boo and yell Sooners tomorrow galdamn it.

StoopTroup
9/17/2010, 09:38 PM
I bet Air Force throws around the old Spalding before the game. :D

http://www.blackfives.com/blog_pics/the_spalding_jock.jpg

olevetonahill
9/17/2010, 09:39 PM
Which one of em was it that Played follow the leader into the ground ?

C&CDean
9/17/2010, 09:41 PM
Both. Multiple times. Part of the gig.

StoopTroup
9/17/2010, 09:43 PM
We call it High Speed Lawn Darts.

olevetonahill
9/17/2010, 09:44 PM
I just remember the one a long time ago . Oh well

SoonerStormchaser
9/18/2010, 08:15 AM
I just remember the one a long time ago . Oh well

The day my older brother was born was the day the T-birds took most of their T-38's into the ground out at Nellis.

SunnySooner
9/18/2010, 08:27 AM
I don't know but it's been said,
Air Force wings are made of lead.

I don't know but I've been told,
NAVY wings are made of GOLD!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

1890MilesToNorman
9/18/2010, 08:37 AM
How can I root against a team that brings that awesome **** to the game???

olevetonahill
9/18/2010, 08:44 AM

Just member ARMY were doing all the Flying till we made a special Branch fer it :D

olevetonahill
9/18/2010, 08:45 AM
How can I root against a team that brings that awesome **** to the game???

Ya just NUT up and be a SOONER .ya dumas

1890MilesToNorman
9/18/2010, 08:51 AM
Be nice ya old fart! :D

olevetonahill
9/18/2010, 08:58 AM
Be nice ya old fart! :D

Id rather be an OLD FART than a young **** :D

1890MilesToNorman
9/18/2010, 08:59 AM
Don't bring Turd into this! He ain't done nuttin.

HBick
9/18/2010, 09:19 AM

This, it was so damn loud yesterday when they were practicing. I love off Elm & Boyd and it scared the hell out of me the first time, my neighbors were all outside panicking after the first run.

Silly hippies.

stoopified
9/18/2010, 09:37 AM
Ya just NUT up and be a SOONER .ya dumas
You tell im vet

MR2-Sooner86
9/18/2010, 09:59 AM
Thunderbirds > Blue Angels and it's not even close.

Leave the flying to the fly boys, not the squids ;)

soonerboy_odanorth
9/18/2010, 12:20 PM
Having been raised at airshows my entire life, and having seen all of the military flight teams umpteen times, I can say, with complete confidence that the Blue Angels couldn't carry the Thunderbirds' jocks. Not today anyhow. The F-16 is a much hotter plane. Also, back in the day I watched the T-Birds when they flew F-4s. I'm sorry, but a half-dozen F-4s getting their rock on smokes anything the Navy can throw in the air. Yes, the Navy flew F-4s too, but not in their demo team.

Bzzzzt. Incorrect sir. The Blues also flew the F-4 before they transitioned to the A-4 Skyhawk.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5b/F-4_Phantom_Blue_Angels.jpg

http://www.boeing.com/companyoffices/gallery/images/f4/d4c-117088-12.htm

And for my money, the Blues still fly tighter formations.

Though I wish they would transition to the F-18 Super Hornet. That bad boy smokes the F-16...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yz7FbYPYnM

SoonerJack
9/18/2010, 12:24 PM

This^

soonerboy_odanorth
9/18/2010, 12:25 PM
Thunderbirds > Blue Angels and it's not even close.

Leave the flying to the fly boys, not the squids ;)

Yeah...run that garbage in front of one of the Blue's Marine pilots.....see what ya get.

Anybody can land on a 3 mile runway. Try landing on a postage stamp bobbing up and down in 15 foot swells.

Navy pilots aren't squids they're.... nuts.

MR2-Sooner86
9/18/2010, 01:28 PM
Anybody can land on a 3 mile runway. Try landing on a postage stamp bobbing up and down in 15 foot swells.

Navy pilots aren't squids they're.... nuts.

Anybody can land when the ship turns into the wind with a nice well maintained landing pad with catch cables for you. Airforce pilots don't get that luxery. They learn how do it right in any condition.

See the Doolittle Raid as proof the Air Force can do it on Navy's terms too ;)

Though I wish they would transition to the F-18 Super Hornet. That bad boy smokes the F-16...

No, it doesn't.

Oh yeah, the F-16s the Thunderbirds use are just painted F-16s used by other servicmen, nothing more excpet the smoke machine. The F-18s the Blue Angels use are modified, lightened and nothing like the F-18s used by the servicemen.

Again, Air Force > Navy :D

Also, yes, I do have family and friends in the Air Force in case anybody is wondering my "slightly" biased approach to the subject.

Ground_Attack
9/18/2010, 01:42 PM
I have no bias and think that both groups are bad a$$

sooneron
9/18/2010, 01:42 PM
We seriously need a home and home w/ the mules & the squids.

MR2-Sooner86
9/18/2010, 01:44 PM

Agreed.

turner78
9/18/2010, 01:48 PM
The day my older brother was born was the day the T-birds took most of their T-38's into the ground out at Nellis.

T-38s? Why were they flying those, they're training aircraft (hence the T) and TINY.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/19/2010, 05:56 PM
Anybody can land when the ship turns into the wind with a nice well maintained landing pad with catch cables for you. Airforce pilots don't get that luxery. They learn how do it right in any condition.

See the Doolittle Raid as proof the Air Force can do it on Navy's terms too ;)

I scoff at your notions. Ever been on a flight deck? I should've said greased up postage stamp.

The only USAF guys that ever have to land in rough conditions are the C-130 drivers... except that half of those in real under seige combat conditions are again.. MARINES. See also the only VSTOL capability... is owned by the Marines... and if it weren't for the USN the zoomie types would still just be fantasizing about the future F-35 deployment.

And finally... Pray tell, where did those Doolittle boys land at the end of the day?***

***Kidding of course... what they achieved was nothing short of miraculous and one of the great acts of heroism in our military's history.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/19/2010, 06:11 PM

Ooo. And we do have a home and home on the books with the mules in the distant future. (I think it's 2018-2019.)

Frankly, those would be the only two schools where I would be absolutely in favor of us playing at their places even without a return visit.

West Point is a trip I will do what I can to make. For one thing, it may be the most gorgeous setting in all of college football in the fall:

http://www.west-point.org/academy/aseez1c/West%20Point%20from%20Air.JPG

http://football.ballparks.com/NCAA/Independent/Army/aerial.jpg