PDA

View Full Version : FOUR mens bball captains?!

badger
9/17/2010, 10:55 AM
So they just named four mens basketball captains.

Link (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/091710aab.html)

That's like one captain for every four players! (16 currently on roster). With one more captain, they could have nothing but captains on the court at the same time!

:confused: seriously though - 04, STEP, BillyBall, any other regulars to this bball forum - is this normal? I thought four captains was more of a football team thing than a basketball team thing. wtf is jeff doing...

boomersooner28
9/17/2010, 11:23 AM
Doh! They just named me a captain! Now we have 5!

:D

Mississippi Sooner
9/17/2010, 11:24 AM
Maybe it's like tee ball. Everyone gets a trophy just for participating.

badger
9/17/2010, 11:27 AM
Maybe it's like tee ball. Everyone gets a trophy just for participating.

http://gossip-girl-forum.3151444.n2.nabble.com/file/n3627066/fuuu.png

Mississippi Sooner
9/17/2010, 11:36 AM
Heh. :P

Ok, I now return the thread to someone who wants to give a serious answer.

badger
9/17/2010, 11:39 AM
Heh. :P

Ok, I now return the thread to someone who wants to give a serious answer.

I'm gonna be using that image a lot this season, aren't I? As much as I would love another miracle Final Four run for the ladies, it probably won't happen with Whitney injured again... and the men... oh boy... our four-captain team... oh boy...

PLEASE somebody tell me why our basketball team has more captains than our football team...

pilobolus
9/17/2010, 12:03 PM
This is unbelievable. We are going to be a laughingstock this season.

Mississippi Sooner
9/17/2010, 12:15 PM
Do they all get to wear a little "C" on their jerseys?

Sorry, I just couldn't stay away.

badger
9/17/2010, 12:40 PM
Do they all get to wear a little "C" on their jerseys?

Sorry, I just couldn't stay away.

Until Capel disallows them from wearing them as a motivational tool, until they earn them back.

Sorry, I couldn't stay away either :mad:

I hope someone with OU mens basketball knowledge gets here soon so we can figure out what the eff is going on

Sooner04
9/17/2010, 12:50 PM
In all seriousness, what's the big deal?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/17/2010, 12:54 PM
I've seen it before...when a team had the lack of leadership like this one did last year, you need 3 or 4 goes to step up and show the way...one guy or even 2 wouldnt be enough...good move...

badger
9/17/2010, 01:13 PM
In all seriousness, what's the big deal?

In all seriousness, this doesn't cause you to raise your eyebrow just a little?

I've seen it before...when a team had the lack of leadership like this one did last year, you need 3 or 4 goes to step up and show the way...one guy or even 2 wouldnt be enough...good move...

Yeah, but when the football team had a bunch of leaders last season, Stoops named a bunch of captains, not just the usual four... another thing I'm wondering about is the choices - according to SS.com they are senior Cade Davis, juniors T.J. Franklin and Nick Thompson, and sophomore Andrew Fitzgerald.

Franklin...

Totaled 25 minutes in 15 games and registered two points, two rebounds and four assists ... His two points came on free throws in the season opener against Mount St. Mary's (Nov. 14) ... Recorded a season-high two assists against Centenary (Dec. 9) ... Played a season-high six minutes at Oklahoma State (Feb. 13).

Thompson is a junior college transfer.

Fitz started a handful of times last year and Cade is a no-brainer (and not just because I think he's cute). The others... does anyone know anything about them and why Capel would just also?

pilobolus
9/17/2010, 01:36 PM
I wish a was a farker, I would put little handcuffs on Capel in my avatar to reflect he should be arrested for impersonating a basketball coach.:kelvin: :eddie:

Sooner04
9/17/2010, 01:36 PM
In all seriousness, this doesn't cause you to raise your eyebrow just a little?
Nope.

badger
9/17/2010, 01:39 PM
Nope.

OK then... why do you think Capel chose the four players that he did for team captaincy, considering that one is a juco transfer and the other played a total of 25 minutes last season.

I know that being an awesome player with lots of stats does not make you a leader, this is a an honest question. Have you heard anything about those two?

yankee
9/17/2010, 01:39 PM
the TEAM selected the captains...and i feel like they know more than we do. if they're cool with it, so am i.

badger
9/17/2010, 01:43 PM
the TEAM selected the captains...and i feel like they know more than we do. if they're cool with it, so am i.

good point... but were the guys asked to select four, or does this mean that our team is a little bit divided right now :(

Sooner04
9/17/2010, 01:46 PM
Badger,

You asked for the opinions of people who closely follow OU basketball. You got two responses from two of those people, both of whom sided with the "no big deal" camp. Any other worries you devote to this issue will be purely your own doing, and we are not responsible for any angst you develop from it.

pilobolus
9/17/2010, 01:53 PM
Badger,

You asked for the opinions of people who closely follow OU basketball. You got two responses from two of those people, both of whom sided with the "no big deal" camp. Any other worries you devote to this issue will be purely your own doing, and we are not responsible for any angst you develop from it.

In other words, 04 knows everything there ever has been or ever will be to know about Sooner basketball, and everyone else is wrong about everything, if it conflicts in any way with his opinions.

:rolleyes:

yankee
9/17/2010, 01:55 PM
In other words, 04 knows everything there ever has been or ever will be to know about Sooner basketball, and everyone else is wrong about everything, if it conflicts in any way with his opinions.

:rolleyes:

no, only in your case.

badger
9/17/2010, 02:00 PM
Any other worries you devote to this issue will be purely your own doing, and we are not responsible for any angst you develop from it.

I'm a worrier. I can't help it :)

I seriously hope for the best and thought I had confidence that Capel learned his lesson and was headed on the right track... then I saw "four captains" and was (a) ticked that they featured that story instead of mentioning that Roz Ross died... like, ANYWHERE on SS.com, let alone the front page, and (b) FOUR captains?!

uggggh... i promise to leave your mens bball turf alone and stick with Sherri's girls... and football till at least November :D

stoops the eternal pimp
9/17/2010, 02:02 PM
I think this selection shows last year doesn't mean squat in the coaches or the players eyes..we don't care what you did last year is the feeling and I approve...And its not about ability, because there was some guys on that team last year that had some ability and they didn't help this team, they helped themselves...

I get the feeling these are the guys that were at every voluntary workout, calling everybody else, building the team, calling out selfishness, etc...

Sooner04
9/17/2010, 02:08 PM
uggggh... i promise to leave your mens bball turf alone and still with Sherri's girls... and football till at least November :D
It's not my turf at all! Any and all OU BBall conversation is good conversation.

It's just not anything you should be worrying about. Hell, he could've gone no captains, I suppose. Whether you have zero, one or twelve, if it helps turn losses into wins then I'm all for it.

bri
9/17/2010, 02:19 PM
Dude, you're just making her pee on the carpet more.

badger
9/17/2010, 02:23 PM
I get the feeling these are the guys that were at every voluntary workout, calling everybody else, building the team, calling out selfishness, etc...

You mentioning this reminds me of that kid from OKC that apparently was only recruited by ORU but was absolutely thrilled to be offered by OU.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/17/2010, 02:29 PM
I mean this with all due respect, the mens team was full of bitches last year...selfish, ego driven bitches...you had a few guys out working hard and the rest needed their asses kicked...

And I mean that in a good christian way..

badger
9/17/2010, 02:30 PM
I mean this with all due respect, the mens team was full of bitches last year...selfish, ego driven bitches...you had a few guys out working hard and the rest needed their asses kicked...

And I mean that in a good christian way..

I agree 100 percent... in the same, good christian way

Soonerwake
9/17/2010, 03:16 PM
We still have a basketball team?? :D

pilobolus
9/17/2010, 03:34 PM

And this was whose fault? Oh yeah, Capel's and the guys who are gone. Oh, I forgot he elevated the guys who hold the clipboard and video camera.:rolleyes:

Jesus H. Christ, if this wasn't the Sooners I would laugh, instead I want to cry. What a clusterf**k.

OUSKINS
9/17/2010, 05:05 PM
Put me squarely in the "no big deal" camp. I have zero reaction to this "news" either way.

NormanPride
9/17/2010, 05:42 PM
I just think that it's sad that we had to get a guy who's never been a Sooner before to be one of the key Sooner leaders. The cupboard was truly bare.

Eielson
9/18/2010, 02:27 PM
Are we really concerned about having 4 captains? I think the real concern is that TJ Franklin would even be considered for that position.

nighttrain12
9/18/2010, 03:12 PM
1/4 + 1/4 + 1/4 + 1/4 = 1 really good team captain!

the_ouskull
9/18/2010, 04:28 PM
Badg...

Stop being a chick.

Pilobolus...

Stop being a b*tch.

the_ouskull

okienole3
9/19/2010, 10:11 AM
I don't understand how this could possibly be a big deal...

pilobolus
9/20/2010, 01:20 PM
Apparently we actually do have a team, there were some guys on the field before the game being introduced to the students as "OU's men's basketball team". Only one of them was recognizable, never seen the others before so they could have been pulling our legs.