PDA

View Full Version : He was a daisy!

Okla-homey
9/16/2010, 02:52 PM
I know no one hear knew him, but, nevertheless, I need to tell my peeps.

Today, the Homey household mourns the loss of a great Southern gentleman.

This morning, in the home he occupied across the road from Mrs. Homey's family throughout her childhood in Orangeburg County, SC, Mr. Henry M. "Nick" Chaplin, Clemson University alum, infantry officer and combat veteran of the Korean War passed away. After the war, "Mr. Nick" returned home and took up his transit to earn a living as a registered surveyor.

Eventually, he became a real estate developer and was instrumental in creation of a rural water district that brought safe, clean water to thousands of rural homes in his county. For this work, he was honored by his native state with its highest civilian honor, the "Order of the Palmetto."

He and his sweet wife were present at every single significant event in our lives. When I was senior at The Citadel, I couldn't afford my sword. Mr. Nick bought one for me to use, claiming he wanted it for his collection and I would give it to him after graduation. At our wedding the day after graduation, he told me, "Son, you keep that sword, you earned it."

He taught this Okie how to drink bourbon, run a trot line to catch dozens of catfish in a single night, kill, scald, butcher and BBQ a hog, and a thing or two about human nature.

He is survived by his wife "Miss Betty" and two sons, Bill and Pete and ahost of grandchildren. He was predeceased by his son Henry, Jr. Services are Saturday in the tiny Methodist church his family has attended for a century.

RIP Mr. Nick. You were a generous soul, an original and will be missed by everyone who knew you!

C&CDean
9/16/2010, 03:06 PM
RIP Mr. Nick.

TUSooner
9/16/2010, 03:38 PM
Nicely said. God rest ye, Mr. Nick.

picasso
9/17/2010, 09:39 AM
He taught this Okie how to drink bourbon, run a trot line to catch dozens of catfish in a single night, kill, scald, butcher and BBQ a hog, and a thing or two about human nature.

Sounds like a line from a Bocephus song. Did he show you how to cook that hog in the ground?

Tulsa_Fireman
9/17/2010, 10:04 AM
To you, Mr. Nick. God rest your soul.

He is survived by his wife "Miss Betty" and two sons, Bill and Pete and ahost of grandchildren.

I love that. Miss Betty. If I had a nickel for every time I've squeezed a smile out of an ailing lady by calling her "Miss", I'd be a rich man.

Nice to know I'm not the only one.

Okla-homey
9/17/2010, 11:52 AM
To you, Mr. Nick. God rest your soul.

I love that. Miss Betty. If I had a nickel for every time I've squeezed a smile out of an ailing lady by calling her "Miss", I'd be a rich man.

Nice to know I'm not the only one.

It's a southern thang. Back there, children are taught to refer to familiar elders to whom they are not related as "Mr" or "Miss." E.g. "Mr. Nick," "Miss Betty."

No southern child is allowed to call adults by their first name without preceding it with Aunt, Uncle, Mr. or Miss. It sticks into adulthood as to those elders the person first referred to in that fashion.

Southern kids used to be taught to say "sir" and "ma'am." Not so much now due to the vulgar influence of Carpetbagging Yanks.

Okla-homey
9/17/2010, 11:54 AM
Sounds like a line from a Bocephus song. Did he show you how to cook that hog in the ground?

Not in the ground. Over a pit, made of cinder blocks, with a steel grate resting on the top course of block.

Soonerwake
9/17/2010, 02:27 PM
He sounds like an awesome fella. Sorry for your loss, and the family of course.

I do love stories like this. I know many of us can trace back to men or women in our past that have impacted our lives, and stories like this are a testament to that.

C&CDean
9/17/2010, 02:40 PM
It's a southern thang. Back there, children are taught to refer to familiar elders to whom they are not related as "Mr" or "Miss." E.g. "Mr. Nick," "Miss Betty."

No southern child is allowed to call adults by their first name without preceding it with Aunt, Uncle, Mr. or Miss. It sticks into adulthood as to those elders the person first referred to in that fashion.

Southern kids used to be taught to say "sir" and "ma'am." Not so much now due to the vulgar influence of ****ty rap music.

Fixed.

SunnySooner
9/17/2010, 04:38 PM
Sorry for your loss, Homey, sounds like you were blessed to have him in your life, and I'm sure he felt the same about you and yours. The great comfort for believers is knowing we'll see lost loved ones again someday, in a place where no one gets sick or old. I'm sure you still have some fishing with Mr. Nick in your future. God bless y'all.

Veritas
9/17/2010, 05:20 PM
Sound like a class act and a one of those people you thank the Lord for putting in your life. Thanks for sharing man.

NormanPride
9/17/2010, 05:45 PM
Orangeburg makes good people. He will be missed!

stoopified
9/18/2010, 09:41 AM
RIP brother