PDA

View Full Version : Chain Steakhouse/Buffets....

royalfan5
9/16/2010, 12:03 PM
I've always favored Ponderosa's. We had a nearby Bonanza and it was always a big deal to go there. I have only heard good thing about Ryan's service, and have found Golden Corral tolerable.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/16/2010, 12:04 PM
Western Sizzlin

pilobolus
9/16/2010, 12:05 PM
Sirloin Stockade

C&CDean
9/16/2010, 12:56 PM
Stuart Anderson's Black Angus. We used to bust the lights on the sign so it would say An us.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/16/2010, 12:58 PM
Dean loves Stuart Anderson's Black Anus

Crucifax Autumn
9/16/2010, 01:27 PM
Who doesn't?

IB4OU2
9/16/2010, 02:22 PM
People like Ryan's alot...there's a story about the place around here somewhere.

Chuck Bao
9/16/2010, 02:55 PM
I would always take my colleagues to Sizzler in Thailand. It used to be a great bargain with very generous portions and one of the best salad bars. I could pay for lunch for 15 people for about $100. But, they have recently substantially raised their prices. Now, ribeye steaks cost $15-20. A few Japanese steak houses offer much better value, like the Kobe Steak House at Siam Square, and the beef is much better.

Mississippi Sooner
9/16/2010, 02:56 PM
Back in the summer of 1996, a couple of buddies and I went to the Ryan's in Ardmore. Now, this one particular buddy was nicknamed Tiny, and as all guys nicknamed Tiny, he was anything but.

So, ol' Tiny just totally destroys the buffet. One of those deals where they have to come and take away the dirty plates several times.

This was one of those scorching hot Oklahoma July days, and as we leave the restaurant and are walking across the parking lot with the heat waves radiating up, Tiny tells us he may have overdone it. He says he doesn't think he's ever been this full. So I tell him, completely joking, just jump up and down a few times and pack it down.

Tiny jumps up and down a few times. The entire buffet goes spewing across the parking lot.

Kinda ruined Ryan's for me.

olevetonahill
9/16/2010, 04:11 PM
People like Ryan's alot...there's a story about the place around here somewhere.

Its Here :D

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120715&highlight=Ryans+steak+house

soonerinabilene
9/16/2010, 06:53 PM
patton oswalt has a bit about black angus that is hilarious.

sooner59
9/16/2010, 10:01 PM
Western Sizzlin

This. I had a ribeye dinner from there last time for $12. Great steak for the money. Now I would rather pay $18 at Longhorn Steakhouse for a better steak, but for a buffet-type, it ain't bad. I Ryan's and Golden Corral, especially the latter, make me want to hurl. Sirloin Stockade "was" good back in the day. I have been there once in the last 8 or 9 years and it sucked, though. I always liked Sante Fe before it went out of business in Norman. There is one in Ardmore now. Logan's Roadhouse is just ok.

Breadburner
9/16/2010, 10:34 PM
Dont go to Flemmings....What a Rip.....

pilobolus
9/17/2010, 09:26 AM
What was the name of the steak house they went to in the TV show Cheers?

Tulsa_Fireman
9/17/2010, 09:29 AM
Biff's Dead Cow-stravaganza.

ouleaf
9/17/2010, 11:28 AM
I've always favored Ponderosa's. We had a nearby Bonanza and it was always a big deal to go there. I have only heard good thing about Ryan's service, and have found Golden Corral tolerable.

I remember going to Ponderosa when I was a kid back up in Michigan. Kinda crazy to hear someone else mention it, since they aren't really in the southern market.

royalfan5
9/17/2010, 12:00 PM
I remember going to Ponderosa when I was a kid back up in Michigan. Kinda crazy to hear someone else mention it, since they aren't really in the southern market.

Well, I'm not really southern.

soonersponge
9/17/2010, 12:17 PM
Dont go to Flemmings....What a Rip.....

Amen. Steak sucks for the price.

I went to Ryan's once and that was it. Too many fat hogs in there stuffing their faces. Grossed me out.

swardboy
9/17/2010, 12:41 PM
Anybody remember Glens' in OKC on sw 10th I believe....steaks on the buffet line..sometimes ribs

soonersponge
9/17/2010, 01:11 PM
Luby's serves the bestest steak.

SoonerStormchaser
9/17/2010, 01:56 PM
I miss Ponderosa...ate there all the time when i lived in Ohio

John Kochtoston
9/17/2010, 04:56 PM
Fogo de Chao. Brazilian steakhouse chain. Not one in OKC, but they bring several different types of meat, mashed potatoes, fried plantains and awesome rolls to your table. All you want. Plus the salad/cheese bar kicks ***. It's pricey, though. Not an everyday type of place.

Veritas
9/17/2010, 05:16 PM
Texas Roadhouse. They're reasonably priced and they use good quality meat. If they're not busy I'll ask to pick out my cut and they're cool about it. Plus it seems like they hire cute waitresses that are nice and courteous.

Chuck Bao
9/17/2010, 05:21 PM
Fogo de Chao. Brazilian steakhouse chain. Not one in OKC, but they bring several different types of meat, mashed potatoes, fried plantains and awesome rolls to your table. All you want. Plus the salad/cheese bar kicks ***. It's pricey, though. Not an everyday type of place.

There was one of those style restaurants in Bangkok (Fogo Vivo) and that has to be hands down the best beef I have ever eaten in my life and I grew up on a cattle farm. Back then me and my office colleagues were noveau stock market riche and I could afford to treat everyone to some really good food at lunch.

At night, it got much better with Samba dance lessons and the feathered and only featherly-clothed Samba dancers, male and female. They'd get everyone to jump up and dance around and then we would go back to eating again. It was just wicked and great and unfortunately closed, but I really did my part in supporting them.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/17/2010, 07:52 PM
We have a similar outfit right here in the friendly confines of Tulsa at 61st and Sheridan.

El Gaucho. Fun place.

Insert obligatory Tulsa > OKC here.

tulsaoilerfan
9/17/2010, 07:57 PM

I still think that story is just an urban legend :D

C&CDean
9/17/2010, 08:23 PM
I still think that story is just an urban legend :D

Yeah, and you also think our coaches suck, our team sucks, and we should be actively looking for replacements. Whatever.

SicEmBaylor
9/17/2010, 08:26 PM
I will never ever eat from a buffet.
You're taking your life in your hands.

btk108
9/17/2010, 08:27 PM
Who goes to a buffet for steak?

Crucifax Autumn
9/17/2010, 08:42 PM
Hillbillies, rednecks, and assorted white trash. Pay Tention.

tulsaoilerfan
9/18/2010, 11:02 AM
Yeah, and you also think our coaches suck, our team sucks, and we should be actively looking for replacements. Whatever.

Whatever you think Dean

SoonerAtKU
9/20/2010, 12:30 PM
Texas Roadhouse. They're reasonably priced and they use good quality meat. If they're not busy I'll ask to pick out my cut and they're cool about it. Plus it seems like they hire cute waitresses that are nice and courteous.

When I'm in the mood for an inexpensive steak out, this is my choice, too. Their prime rib is very tasty, and they actually care about the temperature of the meat, unlike other similar places.

Crucifax Autumn
9/20/2010, 12:33 PM
I'm constantly concerned with the temperature of my meat.

pilobolus
9/20/2010, 12:34 PM
I will never ever eat from a buffet.
You're taking your life in your hands.

How true...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/newsok-photos/542062/lead620.jpg

btk108
9/20/2010, 12:56 PM
I'm constantly concerned with the temperature of my meat.

yah....I saw that one comin

Chuck Bao
9/20/2010, 01:20 PM
When I'm in the mood for an inexpensive steak out, this is my choice, too. Their prime rib is very tasty, and they actually care about the temperature of the meat, unlike other similar places.

What do you mean about the temperature of the meat?

There was a very, very expensive steakhouse on the ground floor of my office building several years ago. I think it was named New York Steakhouse. Anyway, the menu very clearly explained how the steaks could be cooked. Rare was defined as being quickly cooked on the outside and still cold on the inside.

Now, I have just recently developed a huge hankering for steak, after being completely burned out on it as a kid growing up on a cattle farm. And, I am liking it really rare and I love for blood to be running on the plate and use my french fries to mop up the blood. But, I don't like any of it to be cold. Does anyone really like to eat a just barely thawed piece of beef?

pilobolus
9/20/2010, 01:22 PM
Ok, I am getting hungry now.

btk108
9/20/2010, 10:58 PM
Ok, I am getting hungry now.

Careful, Cru!

sooner59
9/20/2010, 11:09 PM
Careful, Cru!

Nah, nuthin to worry about. Cru is a rear-ender.

yermom
9/20/2010, 11:13 PM

Saltgrass might edge them a bit. they seem pretty close to me though

as for Ryan's, i can't remember if i've actually even been there anymore, but i'm thinking i'd have to be desperate to go there at this point :D

SicEmBaylor
9/20/2010, 11:15 PM
How true...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/newsok-photos/542062/lead620.jpg

Isn't that the place in Locust Grove?

pilobolus
9/21/2010, 09:41 AM
Isn't that the place in Locust Grove?

Yes, and it's opened back up, but no more buffet is my understanding, just a menu.

I also remembered the name of the steakhouse in Cheers since no one answered, I think it was the Hungry Heifer?

SoonerAtKU
9/21/2010, 09:46 AM
What do you mean about the temperature of the meat?

There was a very, very expensive steakhouse on the ground floor of my office building several years ago. I think it was named New York Steakhouse. Anyway, the menu very clearly explained how the steaks could be cooked. Rare was defined as being quickly cooked on the outside and still cold on the inside.

Now, I have just recently developed a huge hankering for steak, after being completely burned out on it as a kid growing up on a cattle farm. And, I am liking it really rare and I love for blood to be running on the plate and use my french fries to mop up the blood. But, I don't like any of it to be cold. Does anyone really like to eat a just barely thawed piece of beef?

Temperature being "doneness", yeah. Rare to me means warm red center. The way you're describing is normally called black and blue, I believe. Seared quickly on the outside with a cold center. Normally that's just for large tenderloin filet steaks, if I recall. I like mine rare to medium-rare and I prefer a ribeye to just about any other cut, but I also really like a filet au poivre if it's done well.