PDA

View Full Version : Bringing your children to games (serious question)

kelloggOUballa
9/15/2010, 11:11 PM
Is there a minimum age to have to get a ticket, or do newborns on up have to have one?

GKeeper316
9/15/2010, 11:23 PM
dont know about minimum age, but if your kid still cries in public, or is easily upset by loud noises, do the rest of us a favor and stay home.

OUthunder
9/15/2010, 11:30 PM
Took my then six year old daughter to the SF tailgate then to her her 1st game...against Baylor. She was ready to leave by halftime. We left midway thru the 3rd quarter and that was plenty. I'd say, wait until you think that they're ready. I'd say between 8-10 years old.

Be prepared to leave early is all I can tell ya, lol. Luckily, I was, that's why I chose the Baylor game.

yermom
9/16/2010, 12:23 AM
a buddy of mine was able to get his infant in eventually, but was initially bugged about a 3rd ticket for her

i can't remember if that was last season or the season before

SoonerShark
9/16/2010, 12:23 AM
To raise money and to show how much sports programs today respect and accommodate fans, in utero children now have to get a ticket. They are giving pregnancy tests to all women under 45 years of age at the gate and billing $75.00 for unborn folks in the stadium.

BudsBoy
9/16/2010, 01:49 AM
Folks behind me bring two children on about 5 the other about 2 and altho they are nice folks and their kids are pretty good, I do get tired of the little one kicking me in the back and crawling round in the isle behind me and on me. Not an old grip, but that does get old after four quarters.

kbsooner
9/16/2010, 06:33 AM
football - everyone is supposed to have a ticket.
bball - 3 and under are free.

bonkuba
9/16/2010, 06:47 AM
I take my kids to every game....and they love it! We make some trips down under a few times but I want them to grow up having a blast at the games!

We now have a 4 month old and I had to get another season ticket......sucks but it is all about the $$. So I have more room now......haha!

All other venues I have been, I have never had to have a ticket for a lap child......OUr field......$$. :-)

texaspokieokie
9/16/2010, 07:03 AM
i don't want to sit next to someone holding an infant or toddler for a whole game !!!

can't you afford a babysitter.

especially the early games, the brite sun can't be good for a baby, for 3 hrs. or so.

CRASH 02
9/16/2010, 08:03 AM
For the first 3 years we took our son to the home games with no extra ticket because we couldn't find a season ticket by us. He was 2 months old when we took him to his first game. We even took him to the OU Texas games the last 3 years with no ticket for him. This year we were finally able to get a season ticket for him next to us. We sit in an area where everyone knows each other so it's not a bother for the people around us. They actually used to ask where he was if we didn't bring him. We now have 2 month old twins that were at the game last week with no extra tickets because the people we sit by asked us to bring them. The only time we were asked for a ticket for my son was last year at the OU Texas game. I don't plan to take the twins to many games though.

SoonerPr8r
9/16/2010, 08:11 AM
To raise money and to show how much sports programs today respect and accommodate fans, in utero children now have to get a ticket. They are giving pregnancy tests to all women under 45 years of age at the gate and billing $75.00 for unborn folks in the stadium.

Do they yell Sooners!!!?

jharkins
9/16/2010, 08:12 AM
i don't want to sit next to someone holding an infant or toddler for a whole game !!!

can't you afford a babysitter.

especially the early games, the brite sun can't be good for a baby, for 3 hrs. or so.

What an elegant post.....

texaspokieokie
9/16/2010, 08:16 AM
What an elegant post.....

wasn't striving for elegance.

Pricetag
9/16/2010, 08:20 AM
I took my son to the Utah State game in 2007, when he was four. We ended up leaving after the first quarter. The fireworks scared him, and OU scored twice in rapid succession, and he was done. He still hasn't been back.

I've watched the son of a lady a couple of rows down from us grow from an infant to a school-aged kid the past several years. He's always handled the games very well. He was scrambling around collecting the souvenir cups at the end of the Florida State game. He had a stack about three feet tall by the time he was done.

badger
9/16/2010, 09:00 AM
One game this guy brought his daughter that was about 5 years old - it was the Cincy game. We were in the visitors corner of the field by the flagpoles. The start time was 2:30 I think, and she was in tears from all of the sun by the end of the first quarter... and the guy wanted to keep watching the game. He would briefly try to console her, tell her to sit down, but his eyes kept creeping back to the field. All of us around her really wanted to help (I offered sun screen, another guy brought back an extra water bottle for the girl) but yeah, the guy realized he had a losing battle by the second quarter.

Parents, don't subject your kids to this before they're ready. :(

stoopified
9/16/2010, 11:14 AM
One game this guy brought his daughter that was about 5 years old - it was the Cincy game. We were in the visitors corner of the field by the flagpoles. The start time was 2:30 I think, and she was in tears from all of the sun by the end of the first quarter... and the guy wanted to keep watching the game. He would briefly try to console her, tell her to sit down, but his eyes kept creeping back to the field. All of us around her really wanted to help (I offered sun screen, another guy brought back an extra water bottle for the girl) but yeah, the guy realized he had a losing battle by the second quarter.

Parents, don't subject your kids to this before they're ready. :(I agree completely.I have two sons(Ryan 6,Jason 3) and I figure if they can't sit and watch an entire game in the comforts of home,there is NOWAY they can sit through a game at Oklahoma Memorial Stadium.

soonerbrat
9/16/2010, 11:19 AM
I took my son to the Utah State game in 2007, when he was four. We ended up leaving after the first quarter. The fireworks scared him, and OU scored twice in rapid succession, and he was done. He still hasn't been back.

I've watched the son of a lady a couple of rows down from us grow from an infant to a school-aged kid the past several years. He's always handled the games very well. He was scrambling around collecting the souvenir cups at the end of the Florida State game. He had a stack about three feet tall by the time he was done.

there's one of those by my season tickets too...I remember them bringing him as an infant and having to change diapers in the stands...YUCK. the kid is about 11 now, so I kinda watched him grow up. I have been selling my seats for the past few years so I haven't seen him in a while...i bet he's huge now.

Landthief 1972
9/16/2010, 11:19 AM
In the '04 OU-Oregon game some Oregon fan had her baby in one of those swaddle wraps. This was the south endzone, and it was miserable, and that moron had her baby wrapped up against her body. I'm stunned the poor kid didn't end up with heatstroke.

soonerborn30
9/16/2010, 11:20 AM
I agree completely.I have two sons(Ryan 6,Jason 3) and I figure if they can't sit and watch an entire game in the comforts of home,there is NOWAY they can sit through a game at Oklahoma Memorial Stadium.

This is my measuring stick as well. My daughter (3) still has a ways to go.

Chuck Bao
9/16/2010, 11:22 AM
I agree. My brother used to drag my little niece (from age about 8, I guess) to OU games. I think, at that time, they were way up at the top of the stadium and she never felt comfortable up there. My brother’s only recourse in trying to placate her was to keep buying souvenirs and food and more souvenirs. That works only so long.

I only attended one game with them – the national title game against LSU in the Superdome. Unfortunately, our initial seats were on the LSU side and my niece (age 12) was terrorized by the LSU fans getting in her face and yelling obscenities. My mom (age 67) also felt quite uncomfortable that she and her granddaughter were being targeted for intimidation. That is until I found some LSU fans in equivalent seats on the other side of the field and got them to switch at half time. My brother was so intent on the game, I don’t think he ever even noticed.

That was just such an ugly experience. I think it completely ruined any chances that my niece would want to go to another OU game and she is a senior in high school now. Okay, maybe if a future boyfriend or husband is a big OU fan and she finally realizes that game day can be fun and not scary.

But her younger brother (age 9 now), who took her place in attending OU games with my brother, is the exact opposite. He would have a screaming fit if my brother ever left to go to an OU game without him. If anyone shouted obscenities at him, he would yell right back at them. He is fearless, and that may get him into trouble down the road, but there is no doubt that he is an OU fan now and forever.

I think my main point is that it depends on your children and whether they enjoy it or not. You really can’t force or condition them to enjoy it.

CRASH 02
9/16/2010, 11:29 AM
I guess I'm a lucky one. My son loves the games. He asks almost every morning if it's Saturday yet so he can go to the game.

cvsooner
9/16/2010, 12:27 PM
My then-four-year-old granddaughter and then-two-year-old grandson both went to the A & M game last year. Zeke fell asleep during the second quarter but was awake through the second half. If it hadn't been a night game I think he would have stayed awake through the whole game.

badger
9/16/2010, 12:45 PM
I guess I'm a lucky one. My son loves the games. He asks almost every morning if it's Saturday yet so he can go to the game.

I would have to say that you are incredibly lucky - I've seen little kids playing Pokemon on Nintendo DS during games, kids sleeping, kids crying, kids being little terrors running everywhere that can't sit or stand still (and no, not because of game excitement, but because they're little terrors).

Like someone mentioned here, see if they can make it through watching a game on TV first.

Also, someone asked about tickets - ya, you need a ticket for your kiddo, even if you'll be holding them the entire time. Considering how they have you packed in like sardines on the bleachers most places, you'll probably like the extra leg room.

texaspokieokie
9/16/2010, 02:52 PM
Serious question; really.

why bring small children to a college football game ???

no further comment from me. (not a promise)

OUthunder
9/16/2010, 04:21 PM
I agree completely.I have two sons(Ryan 6,Jason 3) and I figure if they can't sit and watch an entire game in the comforts of home,there is NOWAY they can sit through a game at Oklahoma Memorial Stadium.

Bingo!

thesnowbishop
9/16/2010, 04:37 PM
The best advice I've ever heard on this subject is this: take a child of any age to junior high/high school games, but until they can explain the concept of 10 yards in 4 downs, leave them at home for OU games. Just my opinion.

badger
9/16/2010, 04:57 PM
The best advice I've ever heard on this subject is this: take a child of any age to junior high/high school games, but until they can explain the concept of 10 yards in 4 downs, leave them at home for OU games. Just my opinion.

hell, a lot of people get told that, but then... it gets complicated.

(Sooners gain 8 yards on third down to bring up 4th and 2)

Crowd: Awwwwwww.

(band plays Boomer Sooner... um, wtf)

Clueless: But I thought we had 4 downs to get 10 yards? Why is everyone disappointed? We still have another down to get the last two!

meoveryouxinfinity
9/16/2010, 05:17 PM
yes you have to buy a ticket for any human being.
....not for service dogs.

I didn't go to my first game until I was probably 13ish. I wanted to go to one at the age of 10 or so though. Mean parents :)

I make fun of my sister and brother and law for taking their infant to the games. My niece was about 4 or 5 months old for her first game.. she saw Texas whoop that OSU ***. I don't see why anyone would WANT to take their infant to a game.. too much work. Let the grandparents babysit or something.

Crucifax Autumn
9/16/2010, 05:25 PM
I didn't get to a game in person until I was about 12. I was much better behaved than my uncle and step-dad. They were drunk, high, and obnoxious trying to relive college or something.

SoonerDomiNation
9/16/2010, 05:25 PM
Well Ill tell yall what.............I took my 6 year old daughter to the game last saturday and she had a blast. I figured the ruffneks guns would scare her but she asked me daddy are they dove huntin lol. From the moment we got in our seat section 17 top row she stood up and watched and clapped and hollared just as loud as I did the entire game. She loved the schooner actually she loved everything about it cept the heat and sun. She didnt bother any1 in fact the people next to us got a kick out of her standing and clapping and talked to her throughout the game.

soonergirlNeugene
9/16/2010, 06:06 PM
Those LSU fans were the worst I've encountered. Being in high school, hopefully she can now distinguish one bad experience or a bad group of fans from your average fans at a game or indeed football in general.

cvsooner
9/16/2010, 06:19 PM
I was almost 18 before I saw my first game, live, in the stadium...and a freshman at OU. We barely (bearly?) escaped Baylor, 28-11, or something like that, in a game that was closer than it sounds. Switzer was defending the team by saying "Baylor is really good, y'all" to the media the entire week.

It was 1974...we won the national championship and I believe Baylor went 8-3 before losing to Penn State in the Cotton Bowl. But they did win the Southwest Conference title and beat Texas. Good times. :-)

kelloggOUballa
9/16/2010, 06:29 PM
His grandmother is going to take one for the team and walk around with him when he starts to act up, we're bringing him because she wants to see him. We got an extra ticket for him, and looks like he will in fact need it! I appreciate all you guys' help!

sooner KB
9/16/2010, 07:11 PM
My cousin is going to what I believe is his first game on Saturday, and is bringing his 3 (maybe 4?) year old daughter to the game. I didn't think much of it, but after reading this thread I'm thinking I should try slipping some words in about bringing her when I see him Friday night. I know she's obviously not into football, she gets scared really easily (probably doesn't like loud noises), doesn't like sitting for too long, its going to be hot...

I really need to talk him out of it. His reasoning for bringing her to this game is that she "likes" OU and Air Force (and by this I mean she probably has an OU shirt and her mom is in the Air Force).

...And about kids at games... I was at the Utah State game and sitting right next to me was a boy that was probably about 10 years old. He was a red-head with freckles and a mohawk, and knew absolutely NOTHING about football. After everything that happened, he would ask his mom, "what is a touchback?" or "what is a first down" or "what is a touchdown?" etc. I mean the boy knew nothing, and had to know everything that was going on. On top of that, if his mom didn't hear him, he would keep repeating, "mom, what's a penalty? Mom, what's a penalty? Mom, what's a penalty?" until she heard him. Luckily the boy totally lost interest midway through the first quarter, but then he started begging to go home, in which his mom would just keep saying "YOU are the one that wanted to go, were're not leaving."

Like others have said, if your child doesn't know and/or doesn't care what is going on, don't bring him/her. I think a lot of people think their kids may not grow up to be big OU fans if they don't start going to games early. This seems like obvious BS to me though. I remember being at a game when I was 8 or so, and I didn't give a flying %&#* what was going on. Now I'm a huge fan and have been for a long time and can't miss a game.

yermom
9/16/2010, 07:26 PM
yeah, i'd ease in to high school games or see how it goes on TV

i'm not about to leave early because of some snotnosed kid ;)

King Barry's Back
9/16/2010, 07:39 PM

Parents, don't subject your kids to this before they're ready. :(

That Dad probably sucks. Obviously, the girl wasn't ready, but honestly, how could he know before he took her? And it sounds like he did exit before half-time.

My sister has been taking my niece to games in Norman since she was 10 months old, based on the reasoning that OU football is a big part of their lives and she didn't want the girl to ever develop a fear of the crowds.

The girl's first game was against Chattanooga a couple of years ago, and we all had to leave following the game suspension at halftime, but otherwise it was good. They still leave by third qtr most games, but so be it.

Back to the point, they've always been forced to buy an additional ticket, but I don't know how hard they've tried to fight/talk their way through, either.

Now this fall, my daughter (almost 2) is going to make her Sooner debut against TX Tech. And then her road debut against Baylor.

I figure we are going to have plenty of room to move around if need be at Baylor, but Tech presents more of a challenge.

Kind of sucks to come all the way from Germany to see a game and have to leave early for the kinder, but oh well. Worse things in life.

King Barry's Back
9/16/2010, 07:53 PM
Forgot to add this. Very serious post.

I attended a game at College Station, the pre-Big XII era when Gary Gibbs was coach.

Sitting directly behind was a mommy-daddy-baby combo. I am guessing the baby was about 8 months.

Now none of my business, but I stayed til the last snap of the game, and so did that poor little kid.

Most serious, by far, was that this was a lap baby, and i guess to rest themselves and make the baby happy, they would sometimes (when i was standing up) sit the baby down on the back of my seat. They would put the baby on the back of the bench, facing them, and kind of hold him in place. (Always picked him back up when i wanted to sit down.)

Now I care a lot about the Sooners and I get very emotional during the games, and that was a pretty disappointing game during a pretty disappointing era of OU football.

At one point, something bad happened on the field and in disgust I kind of threw myself down on my seat, as is my right.

I found myself back-to-back with that baby, all three of them in shock.

I hate to think about what would have happened to that fragile baby had I come down a few inches further back, so if you can't take care of a baby at a game, do him a big favor and don't bring him along.

There isn't anything in that stadium worth hurting one hair on your baby's little head.

StoopTroup
9/16/2010, 08:02 PM
If your Wife is preggers and she starts to go into labor...get her over to the ramp so the newborn doesn't crowd us out of our seats. Now....before you cut the umbilical cord hold the baby up and let him/her see the game for a bit....then cut the cord. Once she's had the baby you guys can return to your seats as long as you don't try and sit him/her next to ya.

Just an FYI....

YWIA :D