PDA

View Full Version : Kiper w/ some good OU stuff; Maisel clowns a 'horn....

Salt City Sooner
9/15/2010, 02:14 PM
From Mel's chat earlier today:

Tony (Richmond, CA)

Hi Mel, Where does Oklahoma's DeMarco Murray fall on your draft board?

Mel Kiper (1:04 PM)

He's a guy that I think will be in the second round mix. The issue is can he stay healthy. Both of his injuries during the year came on special teams. They're going to try and hold him back on special teams. He made some outstanding catches down the field. He's not a swing pass, dump off pass kind of guy. He has a real good feel for the passing game. He just has to stay healthy all year and prove it. He's in the second round mix.

Nick (Denver)

Mel, where does Christian Ponder fall on your draft board?

Mel Kiper (1:21 PM)

He's the second highest rated senior QB, but there are a lot of juniors that will move ahead of him. Right now, he would be my fifth-highest rated QB in the NFL draft. Oklahoma's defense got the best of FSU. The three stars on that defense Lewis, Carter and Beal all played well. Ponder doesn't have the great arm, but he has got the size, the intelligence, the accuracy. He has a chance to be in the second or third round mix.

Tony (Richmond)

Mel, you mentioned Jeremy Beal and Travis Lewis from Oklahoma. Are either a future first round pick?

Mel Kiper (1:37 PM)

Yeah, I think they both could be. They're highly regarded players. Beal is a senior and Lewis is a junior. He's my second highest rated junior LB. And Beal is my fifth highest senior DE. They're both first round caliber.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/34390/football-guru-mel-kiper

As for Maisel:

Scott (Plano, Texas)

What is wrong with the Texas Offense? I am tired of hearing "We have a young inexperienced QB" "We have a young line", "no RB wants to step up." I believe part of the blame should fall on Greg Davis/Mack Brown. The Longhorn Nation has not liked what it has seen so far. Bama has had key player losses and they are doing very well. Will Texas come out against Texas Tech this week and exorcise some demons (mediocre O and Mr. Crabtee's play circa 2008?

Ivan Maisel (2:20 PM)

Yes, Scott. I don't understand why a complete revamping of the offense featuring a new quarterback and a new scheme is not racking up 50 points a game after two games. Totally with you there.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/34393/ncaa-fb-with-ivan-maisel

rawlingsHOH
9/15/2010, 02:20 PM
Both of his injuries during the year came on special teams.
That is kind of like saying both occured at night, more happenstance than reason.

And he's had about a half dozen injuries, those were just the two major ones.

KantoSooner
9/15/2010, 02:25 PM
I don't always agree with Maisel, but he's right on, and funny, there.

BoulderSooner79
9/15/2010, 02:31 PM
Saying Beal is 5th highest senior DE and also 1st round caliber is bit contradictory unless the 1st round is filled with DEs. Maybe he means it's a close call on the 5 and Beal could easily move up?

rawlingsHOH
9/15/2010, 02:39 PM
I don't see Beal as a 1st rounder. I don't think he'll have the measurables.

Lewis may run a 4.5 and shock some people, but his frame is a touch smallish.

My Opinion Matters
9/15/2010, 02:42 PM
It's nice and everything that Kiper said nice things about our guys, but he's a total hack.

Salt City Sooner
9/15/2010, 03:46 PM
Saying Beal is 5th highest senior DE and also 1st round caliber is bit contradictory unless the 1st round is filled with DEs. Maybe he means it's a close call on the 5 and Beal could easily move up?Not a stretch at all. With the league being increasingly more QB-driven, the demand for quality DE's is going up right along with it. The last year that there were not at least 3 DE's taken in the first round was 1991, with 5 first rounders going as recently as 2007. FWIW, the highest in that time period was 7, in '97.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/15/2010, 03:48 PM
Beal will most likely be an OLB in a 3-4 system, so his DE ranking doesn't mean much

BoulderSooner79
9/15/2010, 03:57 PM
Not a stretch at all. With the league being increasingly more QB-driven, the demand for quality DE's is going up right along with it. The last year that there were not at least 3 DE's taken in the first round was 1991, with 5 first rounders going as recently as 2007. FWIW, the highest in that time period was 7, in '97.

Right. But Kiper also qualified it as "senior" DE. Usually, underclassmen are the better players if they are skipping eligibility. I'm just assuming there will be a few of those too. But hey, if I were a GM, I'd take Beal. They guy makes plays.

Mad Dog Madsen
9/15/2010, 03:59 PM
Saying Beal is 5th highest senior DE and also 1st round caliber is bit contradictory unless the 1st round is filled with DEs. Maybe he means it's a close call on the 5 and Beal could easily move up?

You probably think we have a great kicker too, huh?

stoopified
9/15/2010, 06:34 PM
Maisel's answer to the Bonghorn fan about his team's offensive woes is classic and very much on point.Sadly the Bongwhorn's atitude was much like the idiots around here who complained about OU's offensive woes with the OL inexperience and injuries ,not to mention the loss of Heisman winner Bradford and All-American TE Gresham.

OKC-SLC
9/15/2010, 07:50 PM
It's nice and everything that Kiper said nice things about our guys, but he's a total hack.

word.

Soonermagik
9/15/2010, 08:37 PM
Kiper was right about Tebow. However, he missed big time on Colt McCoy.

We knew they both would suck at the next level.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/15/2010, 10:20 PM
he was a little off on jimmy clausen

goingoneight
9/15/2010, 10:36 PM
I wish I had thought to get in front of a camera and pretend to know what it takes to play in the NFL. I could be RICH!!!

BoulderSooner79
9/16/2010, 12:30 AM
I wish I had thought to get in front of a camera and pretend to know what it takes to play in the NFL. I could be RICH!!!

You have to be qualified - you gotta have the hair!

47straight
9/16/2010, 12:39 AM
I hope that Mel Kiper doesnt bring his bad mojo on our boys

oudavid1
9/16/2010, 02:11 AM
However, he missed big time on Colt McCoy.

Kiper = #FAIL

Lets see how kiper responds...

0c6Lp0_mliI

Scott D
9/16/2010, 11:40 AM

eh, caliber and his actual rating don't really have a lot in common, especially since his individual player rating (for kiper) is something that can be very fluid through the season, and his comment reflected that.

BoulderSooner79
9/16/2010, 11:45 AM
eh, caliber and his actual rating don't really have a lot in common, especially since his individual player rating (for kiper) is something that can be very fluid through the season, and his comment reflected that.

Yes, and keeping the ratings "fluid" is probably a good thing for Kiper. If he lists 100 players as being 1st round caliber, then the 32 that get picked are likely on that list and he looks like a genius. Unless of course, some D-bag keeps track of all the 1st round caliber players that go undrafted. ;)

Scott D
9/16/2010, 11:46 AM
Usually half the players he has as first round caliber slide to rounds 3-5.

badger
9/16/2010, 11:50 AM
he missed big time on Colt McCoy.

Undrafted Jevan Snead says hi.
http://i54.tinypic.com/25i5hyf.png
:D