PDA

View Full Version : Stoops on Millard, "You havent seen all of it."

adoniijahsooner
9/15/2010, 01:09 PM
Stoops absolutely loves Trey Millard. He believes Millard has a chance to be better than Runnels and Eldridge. Thoughts?

I love the guy," Stoops said. "He's mature beyond his years. He's very physical beyond his years. Size beyond his years. He's just a load back there, and he's just gonna keep getting better. You haven't seen all of it. The guy has great hands and he's gonna do a lot of things for us."

Asked if Millard can fit into the mold Brody Eldridge, Matt Clapp and J.D. Runnels, Stoops said, "Oh yeah. I think he has a chance to be better than all of 'em, just because of his overall athletic ability."

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100914_29_B8_bBigga38026

BetterSoonerThanLater
9/15/2010, 01:18 PM
i hope he's right! i can't wait to see more of this kid.

PalmBeachSooner
9/15/2010, 01:27 PM
I never believe anything this coaching staff says. Until I see it on the field, it's just coach-speak. I'm not hating, just saying.

rawlingsHOH
9/15/2010, 01:28 PM
The guy is absolutely an exceptional freshman. Very evident in both games.

rawlingsHOH
9/15/2010, 01:29 PM
I never believe anything this coaching staff says. Until I see it on the field, it's just coach-speak. I'm not hating, just saying.
Try to watch the Sooners this week!

adoniijahsooner
9/15/2010, 01:33 PM

I saw him block someone on Murray's TD, the exact same way he was taught in practice, it was incredible!

oumartin
9/15/2010, 02:10 PM
Since Bob said this we may never see him on the field again. :D

stoopified
9/15/2010, 02:13 PM
I'm not sure but I think Millard already has more career carries than JD.

NOVSooner
9/15/2010, 02:20 PM
dude is def. gonna be a good one if these first 2 games are a preview. murray will be thanking him a lot this season!

sluggo sooner
9/15/2010, 02:23 PM
I'm not sure but I think Millard already has more career carries than JD.

I think JD only had one carry - a fake punt for a first down against texas in '05.

Tashard Choice had more carries at OU than JD did!

rawlingsHOH
9/15/2010, 02:35 PM
I think JD only had one carry - a fake punt for a first down against texas in '05.

I remember he had a carry as a freshman in 02.

CrimsonCommando
9/15/2010, 05:14 PM
Heh. Maybe we can watch him get cut by Bengals in a few years too. They did JD wrong.

Boomer Mooner
9/15/2010, 06:14 PM

Stoops may be guilty of coach speak at times, but he isn't the type to hand out praise like this for nothing.

gaylordfan1
9/15/2010, 07:11 PM
He is already getting more carries in a game than Clapp ever did. And he will begin to get even more in my opinion. Don't know when we will start seeing him catching the ball. Might be something they are holding back. I did see him running routes in the flats against FSU. So, they are working the formations in for him.

adoniijahsooner
9/15/2010, 07:19 PM
He is already getting more carries in a game than Clapp ever did. And he will begin to get even more in my opinion. Don't know when we will start seeing him catching the ball. Might be something they are holding back. I did see him running routes in the flats against FSU. So, they are working the formations in for him.

He tried to once, but the FSU LB held him so he couldnt break loose. That was the play where LJ took off with the ball.

yankee
9/15/2010, 07:40 PM
stoops hasn't stopped talking about this guy since he stepped on campus. that can only mean great things.

StoopTroup
9/15/2010, 07:48 PM
We're doomed until we get us a decent coach who can recruit some decent players.

Wonder what John Blake is doing? Last time he hand picked us a Team we won a NC.

OKC-SLC
9/15/2010, 07:59 PM
Since Bob said this we may never see him on the field again. :D

Yeah, or Millard has had a season ending leg amputation.

proudsoonergal
9/15/2010, 08:32 PM
Yeah, or Millard has had a season ending leg amputation.

What's the rehab time on that? ;)

Soonermagik
9/15/2010, 08:35 PM
I hope he's saving him some special plays for *

I've always wished we would line up in the I more and pound on teams. There's nothing more frustrating to a D coordinator then constantly getting run on and being unable to stop it.

OUthunder
9/15/2010, 09:03 PM
He's no Lydell Carr but I guess he can stick around awhile.

TahoeSOONER
9/15/2010, 09:16 PM
I hope he's saving him some special plays for *

I've always wished we would line up in the I more and pound on teams. There's nothing more frustrating to a D coordinator then constantly getting run on and being unable to stop it.

See last years NC game or anytime Qqqqq ran all over *.

bluedogok
9/15/2010, 09:31 PM
Didn't Clapp have one of those club casts on his hand most of last season? I remember him trying to catch a pass near the end zone in a game with that one.

goingoneight
9/15/2010, 10:18 PM
What I'm surprised nobody's talking about yet was that he was moving constantly from FB to TE. I know Ratterree and Hanna both scored last weekend, but you can tell from those sets that once the game got out of hand for FSU, the "Greshamize Millard" play was held back.

I typically watch the skill players, mostly because that's what I admire most having played a few of them before, but I love to see a punishing lead or seal block. This guy delivers those kinds of blocks.

OK2U
9/16/2010, 04:20 PM
TulsaWorld

If Trey Millard’s as good as Bob Stoops thinks he is, then Oklahoma stole a big-time recruit right from under Missouri coach Gary Pinkel’s nose.

Stoops had lofty praise for Millard after the true freshman fullback had three rushes for 16 yards and displayed the blocking skills of a veteran in the season-opening win over Utah State.

“He’s a real special player,” Stoops of the 6-foot-2, 250-pound Millard. “He’s going to be great.”

As a senior at Rock Bridge High School in Columbia, Mo., Millard rushed for 1,413 yards and 17 touchdowns, while catching 21 passes for 248 yards and one TD.

Millard is a member of what Stoops had called one of his best recruiting classes. Although he didn’t show it against the Aggies, Stoops said Millard is quite capable of moving to tight end and becoming another option for quarterback Landry Jones.

“We didn’t show a lot,” Stoops said of the vanilla offensive approach in the 31-24 win. “But wait until you see him catch the ball and run with it. He’s a player.”

Joe
9/17/2010, 10:55 AM
He'll have over 100 total yards and 10 touches vs Texas.

KantoSooner
9/17/2010, 11:10 AM
Ya promise?

I'd be good with that.

Okie35
9/17/2010, 11:25 AM

Completely agree.

goingoneight
9/17/2010, 12:09 PM
If OUr fullback gets 100 yards against Texas, I'd be interested to see what Broyles, Murray, Jones all do. :D

rawlingsHOH
9/17/2010, 12:17 PM
If OUr fullback gets 100 yards against Texas, I'd be interested to see what Broyles, Murray, Jones all do. :D

It will mean they were either injured or suspended.

goingoneight
9/17/2010, 12:22 PM
We all said that about Gresham versus the other guys, too. Something about never throwing to the TE if I remember that correctly.

rawlingsHOH
9/17/2010, 12:49 PM
We all said that about Gresham versus the other guys, too. Something about never throwing to the TE if I remember that correctly.
Trent Smith had, at one point, the all-time record for catches and touchdowns in a game. We threw it to a TE plenty, when we have a guy worth getting the ball to.

If Millard goes for 100 against Texas, with Murray and Co. healthy, I'll eat my words.

OK2U
10/3/2010, 08:47 PM
DOK:

On the Sooners' first possession, Millard, an athletic fullback, moved the chains on third-and-short. Millard helped cap the drive with yet another kick-out block that sprung DeMarco Murray (http://www.newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=DeMarco+Murray&CATEGORY=PERSON) free for an 18-yard touchdown run.

[/URL]

Millard's impact is subtle. His primary role is a lead blocker but he ran for 16 yards on five carries and caught two passes. Informed five carries is believed to be the most by a fullback in the Stoops era, Stoops responded that Millard is the first fullback that deserved that many carries.

Read more: [URL]http://www.newsok.com/article/3501128#ixzz11LmBIX7i (http://www.newsok.com/article/3501128#ixzz11LmFZfUa)

C&CDean
10/3/2010, 08:55 PM
Not to mention the fact that Millard was a block/move away from breaking a couple of those touches. Y'all watch, this boy is gonna break an 80-yarder on a fullback dive this year. Maybe more than once.

gaylordfan1
10/3/2010, 09:05 PM
Not to mention the fact that Millard was a block/move away from breaking a couple of those touches. Y'all watch, this boy is gonna break an 80-yarder on a fullback dive this year. Maybe more than once.

Man, I hope so. The kid is a brick-house! Although, I remember last week when he broke out into the open against Cinci only to stumble on his own feet....I really wish he would have been able to keep it going. He has shown how a dynamic FB can aid our offense in many different ways. I love how enthusiastic Stoops is about this kid.

GottaHavePride
10/3/2010, 10:05 PM
I never understood why JD didn't get any carries. I don't remember him ever dropping a pass thrown his way.

yermom
10/3/2010, 10:12 PM
i seem to remember one in Lubbock in 2005 where a Bomar pass bounced off his hands :O

i love the threat of the FB actually running

even though we never handed it to him, we faked to JD a lot in the 2004 Texas to give AD some room. how he never made it to the endzone i don't know...

the thought of watching Millard mature for 3 more years is awesome.

ousooners182
10/3/2010, 11:24 PM
i love giving him the fb dive like it was said above i wont be surprised if he bust a long one off of a dive this year he has the speed to actually break away and the strength to run people over...

It was nice seeing wilson give him the ball on the 3rd and shorts on the first drive..i love getting the fb involved..not to mention his blocking as a true freshman is incredible

From this article http://www.examiner.com/oklahoma-sooners-in-oklahoma-city/trey-millard-developing-into-the-best-fullback-of-the-stoops-era

"Oh yeah,” Stoops said. "I think he has a chance to be better than all of them, just because of his overall athletic ability. Because he's not a running back, it's not exciting to talk about for other people. But we love those kind of guys. He's a really good player who can do a little bit of everything.”

"You have to have a special mindset that you're going to go full speed, not slow down, and bust heads with someone,” said quarterback Landry Jones. "He has no fear. He goes in there and blows people up. It's exciting to see that.”

awesome.

adoniijahsooner
1/2/2011, 11:20 AM
Just wanted to bump this for anyone who thinks Millard will go the way of the dodo bird in this offense. Stoops loves Millard! He will be a huge part of this O.

tcrb
1/2/2011, 11:32 AM
Just wanted to bump this for anyone who thinks Millard will go the way of the dodo bird in this offense. Stoops loves Millard! He will be a huge part of this O.

Where the heck was he last night? I thought we'd see him along with Clay and/or Madu lined up in the diamond, but dont recall seeing it once.

StoopTroup
1/2/2011, 11:40 AM
Tis a question I'd of asked in the presser.

Okie35
1/2/2011, 11:47 AM
Where the heck was he last night? I thought we'd see him along with Clay and/or Madu lined up in the diamond, but dont recall seeing it once.

Vanilla play calling. I think we figured we could win w/o doing too much. Just line up and play.

cvsooner
1/2/2011, 01:51 PM
Read online in a media report an OU spokesman said Millard didn't play much "due to illness or injury."

StoopTroup
1/2/2011, 02:58 PM
Read online in a media report an OU spokesman said Millard didn't play much "due to illness or injury."

He didn't look sick in the Interview the day before and he played STs last night. Maybe it was to much for him to be in the back field once during the game....and maybe if that's true...maybe he shouldn't have been on Special Teams either last night.

randall180
1/2/2011, 03:05 PM
he's about to have shoulder surgery. not sure if that's why he didn't play much or not.

StoopTroup
1/2/2011, 03:08 PM
he's about to have shoulder surgery. not sure if that's why he didn't play much or not.

Could be. If it's a serious tear he might not be ready for next year even. Toughest rehab I've ever experienced.

ouwasp
1/2/2011, 03:52 PM
When OU worked out of the tight trips "bunch" formation, Millard was in... the Sooners didn't do much of the classic I...

adoniijahsooner
1/2/2011, 05:07 PM
* Fullback Trey Millard was not used much against UConn, but Stoops said that won’t be a sign of things to come in 2011 with Josh Heupel calling plays. “It better not be,” Stoops said.

dwarthog
1/2/2011, 08:00 PM
Vanilla play calling. I think we figured we could win w/o doing too much. Just line up and play.

Agreed.

It certainly looked like they were just executing a basic game plan last night.

SoonerPride93
1/2/2011, 08:15 PM
"This guy has great hands"

Overall the guy is great but he dropped so many passes and this is something im looking forward to next year and his improvement