PDA

View Full Version : FSU's Greg Reid

soonerfromgeorgia
9/14/2010, 09:16 PM
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_fsu/2010/09/florida-state-cb-greg-reid-on-humbling-performance-at-oklahoma-i-needed-that.html

HBick
9/14/2010, 09:22 PM
More than I was expecting him to say. That said, KW's no huddle still paying off 4 years later, and I like it.

CatfishSooner
9/14/2010, 09:23 PM
heh

Leroy Lizard
9/14/2010, 09:24 PM
Interesting quote:

“It was kind of like a tempo thing, man,” he said. “With a first-year defensive coordinator [Mark Stoops], it was kind of hard on us, man. And like I said, it was just kind of like a tempo thing. It was kind of fast. The fastest offense I ever played against in my whole life, so. That’s all I can say.”

Take the last two sentences out of context and you can smack SEC Speed fans around with it.

Breadburner
9/14/2010, 09:26 PM
Thats what happens when you get into their heads.....

stoops the eternal pimp
9/14/2010, 09:26 PM
I read that earlier today...wasn't the OP the one that said we better not throw his way?

sooneron
9/14/2010, 09:27 PM
uuuuhhhh yup! :D

soonerfromgeorgia
9/14/2010, 09:30 PM
I actually said (I think) something to the effect that if you go there enough he would hurt you or if you kick it to him enough he would make you pay.

delhalew
9/14/2010, 09:31 PM
People need to realize these "weak" Big12 teams that they don't respect match up against our offense every year, and for the most part do a pretty admirable job.

Boomer.....
9/14/2010, 09:35 PM
To be sure, Reid’s performance on Saturday wasn’t what he had grown accustomed to during his first 14 college games. Then again, he’d never played in an environment, he said, like the one Oklahoma’s Memorial Stadium presented.

Great job fans!

swardboy
9/14/2010, 09:39 PM
Yeah, listened to Reid and one of the linebackers interviews...both commented that Norman's a tough place to play at. heh heh...

KBoomer11
9/14/2010, 09:43 PM
It was one of the loudest games I have been to right up there with Tech.

soonerfromgeorgia
9/14/2010, 09:46 PM
Spoke with a FSU buddy today that went out to the game and he said their stadium has never been that loud! He really enjoyed the environment, but not the game. He said the FSU Tailgate was to far from the stadium, they had to take a trolley from it to the stadium.

Said he also ate a expensive steak at Mickey Mantles.

TXBOOMER
9/14/2010, 09:50 PM
That was the loudest day game I have ever been to n Norman.

delhalew
9/14/2010, 09:52 PM
Speaking of Tech, Leach said the Big 12 has the loudest stadiums next to the Shoe. Remember he used to coach in all the SEC venues. He addressed the fact that SEC venues hold more fans by saying the noise level in some Big12 venues may have something to do with the design of the stadiums.

He also said Norman is one of the toughest places in the country...of course he would say that:D

BoulderSooner79
9/14/2010, 10:13 PM
KW varying the pace of the game was awesome. He went into hurry-up on the series that produced the Hanna TD and the Nole's D were just looking at each other at the snap.

I don't see this having the same impact on AFA, though. Those cadets won't need a huddle to know their assignment.

yankee
9/14/2010, 10:44 PM
part of that humbling experience was probably a good deal of the student section yelling "reid....sucks!" at the end of the game. and he heard it too, as he was motioning up at us. :cool:

sendbaht
9/14/2010, 11:01 PM
Wow, what a nice thing to read. What a nice young man too. See you next year pal and we should be even faster.

starclassic tama
9/14/2010, 11:18 PM
if he thought our offense was fast saturday, good thing he didn't get to see the 2008 version of it...

soonerloyal
9/15/2010, 12:38 AM
Spoke with a FSU buddy today that went out to the game and he said their stadium has never been that loud! He really enjoyed the environment, but not the game. He said the FSU Tailgate was to far from the stadium, they had to take a trolley from it to the stadium.

Said he also ate a expensive steak at Mickey Mantles.

Just wondering, are all opposing teams' tailgates far from the stadium? If so, why? Is space just not easily available? Seems it would be more friendly & hospitable to offer spaces mingling with our own.

For all the decades we lived in Norman, I'm sad to say I never tailgated. :( So please pardon my queries, I really don't know the particulars. :O

Harry Beanbag
9/15/2010, 01:02 AM
Sounds like a good kid. Good luck to him the rest of the year.

KantoSooner
9/15/2010, 08:40 AM
Notice the comment attributed to the BYU fan speaking to an FSU fan in the comments? Something about how FSU was going to lay it on us and make it ugly? I guess that didn't work out.
I have hated BYU since the Lavell Edwards days, and it doesn't look like I'll be changing my mind anytime soon.

C&CDean
9/15/2010, 08:50 AM
if he thought our offense was fast saturday, good thing he didn't get to see the 2008 version of it...

Did you watch the game? We have NEVER executed the no-huddle like we did last Saturday. Hell, there's been multiple threads on this board where people are bitching about then no-huddle because Sam would run up there, act like he was gonna snap it, then back away, look at the sideline, get set, back away again, and finally start the play.

Landry was quicker than Sam ever was in the no-huddle. I was watching the replay last night, and a couple times FSU guys were putting their helmets back on, playing with their socks, had their backs turned to the LOS, etc. If we can continue executing the no-huddle like Saturday we're going to be tough to stop.

rawlingsHOH
9/15/2010, 09:15 AM
we changed the tempo. some fast, some slow.

bri
9/15/2010, 09:17 AM
part of that humbling experience was probably a good deal of the student section yelling "reid....sucks!" at the end of the game. and he heard it too, as he was motioning up at us. :cool:

Yeah, their DBs were way too willing to let the student section distract them. Even during pregame drills they were more concerned with the Soonermen than with getting ready for the game. I wonder how that worked out for 'em?

starclassic tama
9/15/2010, 11:02 AM
Did you watch the game? We have NEVER executed the no-huddle like we did last Saturday. Hell, there's been multiple threads on this board where people are bitching about then no-huddle because Sam would run up there, act like he was gonna snap it, then back away, look at the sideline, get set, back away again, and finally start the play.

Landry was quicker than Sam ever was in the no-huddle. I was watching the replay last night, and a couple times FSU guys were putting their helmets back on, playing with their socks, had their backs turned to the LOS, etc. If we can continue executing the no-huddle like Saturday we're going to be tough to stop.

you know, now that i think about it this is true. i guess it just seemed like the offense was faster in '08 because of how we ran up and down the field scoring 60+ points all the time. last year when our offense struggled i guess it just seemed like it was slower.

Scott D
9/15/2010, 02:04 PM
that's because in '08 if the offense had the ball for more than 2 and a half minutes it was considered a time consuming drive

Collier11
9/15/2010, 02:15 PM
Gotta give it to Greg Reid, surprisingly he gets it. Says in the article that he needed the humbling experience

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_fsu/2010/09/florida-state-cb-greg-reid-on-humbling-performance-at-oklahoma-i-needed-that.html/comment-page-1

thesnowbishop
9/15/2010, 03:59 PM
The other good thing about our no huddle last Saturday was that the whole offense was pretty disciplined about it. I think Landry drew them offsides about 3 times with a hardcount, in addition to the quick snaps.

btb916
9/15/2010, 07:30 PM

I can remember one time when Landry came up to the line and played the get set, back away game. I don't really have a problem with that other than it's sort of frustrating to watch. But I agree with you; Landry ran the offense very well.

BoulderSooner79
9/15/2010, 07:46 PM
I can remember one time when Landry came up to the line and played the get set, back away game. I don't really have a problem with that other than it's sort of frustrating to watch. But I agree with you; Landry ran the offense very well.

That's part of the game plan as they are not always in hurry up. In fact, I can only remember 2 drives in hurry-up. They were in up tempo most the time though. They spend much more time at the line when not in hurry up because you have to add the play calling time plus huddling/unhuddling time that most other teams do. That's a long time in formation when they have the lead and are intentionally draining the clock. It seems to annoy fans for some reason. My only complaint is when they call the play so late that they are hurrying to beat the play clock. They look disorganized and those plays never seem to work (but that could be my imagination).

bluedogok
9/15/2010, 09:40 PM
Just wondering, are all opposing teams' tailgates far from the stadium? If so, why? Is space just not easily available? Seems it would be more friendly & hospitable to offer spaces mingling with our own.

For all the decades we lived in Norman, I'm sad to say I never tailgated. :( So please pardon my queries, I really don't know the particulars. :O
It just depends on stadium location and facilities, I know where my friends have their parking for the UT games here is about like the Lloyd Noble parking lot to Owen Field except with more tall buildings in between, you can't see DKR from where they typically park. Plus there is a lot of parking garages used so there aren't as many places to setup a tailgate since so much of the parking is in parking garages.

goingoneight
9/15/2010, 10:12 PM
I think what frustrates most fans with the no-huddle is when the opposition is ready for it. The quick snaps and catching them off-guard and out-of-breath doesn't happen as often against Florida and Texas as it does against OSU, Baylor and a bad FSU team. That said, it also doesn't work if the offense isn't all on the same page. The line has to refrain from jumping too quickly, everybody's got to be lined up correctly and they gotta be able to run the right play or else it ends up looking like a giant clusterfock. This is when you see the QB back out and look back to the line for another playcall. Sam and Landry both did this as a part of how it all works. I've said all along that with this offense, a huddle only wastes time and opportunities. The reason we switched it up from huddle to no-huddle from 2007 to 2008 is because the guys could handle it all just as easily as the old way, just quicker communication and it gave playmakers like OUr loaded offense had a major advantage. It looks better this year than it did last year (at least for OU/FSU) not so much because KW magically became a better or worse playcaller, but because guys are able to execute it all better now being more experienced and all. I'm just hoping that the Utah State game served as this season's wake up call and that we don't have another random clunker of a game again like we have had the last nine years ('09 Tech, '08 KSU (defense), '07 ISU and CU, '06 Texas, '05 TCU, '05 UCLA, '04 TGTNH, '03 KSU, '02 OSU, '01 OSU come to mind).

stoops the eternal pimp
9/15/2010, 10:18 PM
well obviously the no huddle is going to be more effective for non conference opponents because they don't face OU every year...The conference teams have seen it enough that they are less likely to be caught off guard

goingoneight
9/15/2010, 10:23 PM
True, that's why we stunned the eventual BIG EAST Champ so badly in 2008, though. Normally, they would have just been game-planning for an already difficult offense to defend, and they got introduced to a whole different set (the Sam in the empty backfield, 5-wide set), a dynamic weapon they hadn't yet seen (Broyles) and they were NOT AT ALL ready for the pace we hit them with that day. They were a pretty good team, but they were nowhere near prepared for what was held back against UT-Chatanooga. Sometimes, you basically will be red hot offensively, and you can march right down the field on anybody, other times, the opposition is ready and waiting for it.

BoulderSooner79
9/16/2010, 12:47 AM
I'm convinced the power of the no huddle is stopping the defense from substituting and not as much from the pace. Teams are just used to situational substitutions and they can't compensate in 1 week of game planning (different story for bowls). The other edge of that sword is that the O is stuck with the same people too. That's why someone like DM is critical because he can play power back or flanker and create an instant matchup problem. Also, we do practice this all the time and not just 1 week. And I don't discount pace, as demonstrated by the Hanna TD. We surprised them with it and they were not even lined up when the ball was snapped on that play. But you can't do that all the time and those series need to be well placed. But when I see the QB barking the play when the play clock is below 5 seconds, it looks like chaos and it never seems to work. And I can't imagine there is snap count in those situations, so the D knows you have to snap it and soon. Just seems like the advantage goes to the D and that's strictly a coaching issue for not getting the play in sooner.