PDA

View Full Version : No. 7 Sooners don't want to fall behind Air Force

Okie35
9/14/2010, 06:01 PM
NORMAN, Okla. – Here's a formula for victory for No. 7 Oklahoma: Receive the opening kickoff, go down and score, then never look back.

It's worked for the Sooners (2-0) in both games this season, and it could be important this Saturday against Air Force and its clock-chewing ground game. The Falcons (2-0), who lead the nation with 423 yards rushing per game, had two drives that lasted more than 7 1/2 minutes in a 35-14 win last week against BYU.

That's a full quarter of clock gone in two possessions.

"They're playing a style of game where they win and when they don't win, for some reason it's close," Sooners offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson said Tuesday. "You know it from all the Oklahoma years (in the wishbone), if you ever got on the wrong side and behind, it was hard to play a little bit of catch-up."

That hasn't been an issue so far for Oklahoma, which hasn't trailed in victories against Utah State and Florida State. The Sooners scored on their first drive in both games and built on the fast starts to lead by at least 20 in the second quarter. Each of the first four drives against the Seminoles resulted in touchdowns.

"We just try to come out with as much energy as we can and start strong and finish strong," fullback Trey Millard said. "A big part of it is just getting that first drive and then working from there."

The Sooners are 26-2 in their last 28 games they've scored a touchdown on their opening possession. Over that span, they're 25-13 when they don't.

Wilson doesn't script plays going into a game, but he'll give his players an idea of what they're likely to run. Against Florida State, he was able to get the offense clicking and use the quick tempo that was a major weapon for the Sooners when 2008 Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford was at quarterback.

Just because Air Force controlled the ball for nearly 37 minutes last week, Wilson said he doesn't plan to go away from the fast style as long as it's working.

"To me, you've got to find ways to score, finish drives and get points on this team whether you're doing that in fast or slow fashion," Wilson said.

Falling behind could be a recipe for disaster. The Falcons have outscored their first two opponents 55-0 in the second half, allowing a total of 132 yards after halftime.

Air Force coach Troy Calhoun said the success is a result of his young players settling into a game over time and of his staff making the right adjustments.

"They're disciplined in how they play," Sooners coach Bob Stoops said. "They play hard, they've got a lot of quickness to them and you can tell they're very structured and understand what their assignments are."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100914/ap_on_sp_co_ne/fbc_t25_quick_start_sooners

KantoSooner
9/15/2010, 08:48 AM
I foresee OU picking their QB a bunch all afternoon. That can really stymie a ball control offense.

sooner518
9/15/2010, 09:14 AM
I foresee OU picking their QB a bunch all afternoon. That can really stymie a ball control offense.

Like, picking his nose? Or what?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/15/2010, 09:15 AM
not sure what football team wants to fall behind, but ok...

Mad Dog Madsen
9/15/2010, 09:31 AM
^^^This.

KantoSooner
9/15/2010, 09:39 AM
Like, picking his nose? Or what?

Well, I was referring to picking off his floaty passes. As in, if his calling card is to burn defenses who overcommit to the run by lofting long passes downfield in the general direction of receivers who then attempt to run under the ball, then it is likely to be a long afternoon of attempting 'touchdown saving tackles' for the QB in question.

On the other hand, there are other logical interpretive possibilities, to wit:

1. Picking as in picking him up off the turf after sacking him. You know, the good sportsmanship thingie. I could live with that.

2. Picking him as in picking on him in general. Just this and that, making his day in Okieland unenjoyable.

3. Picking him as in picking him as a target for abuse and misuse. As in, "Wow, Jeremy Beal really picked Jefferson out of the lineup today Bob", "Yeah, beat him like the family mule all day long."

4. Picking him as in nit picking. More of a stretch, but it might get tedious to have Tom Wort, for instance, give him a brief critique of each play and suggestions for improvement before jogging back to the huddle.

and many, many more (I can tell you're thrilled you asked), but really, I meant picking as in intercepting his passes.

Now that we've got THAT settled....

1890MilesToNorman
I won't fall behind AF, i'll have about 6 beers in me before kickoff.

BoulderSooner79

Weird article indeed. At least OU can pass if they get behind; it's the option teams that are in a world of hurt playing from behind.

MojoRisen
9/15/2010, 09:43 AM
Please note, BYU had less than 100 yards passing for the first time in 20 years against AFU

Mississippi Sooner
9/15/2010, 09:51 AM
Weird article indeed. At least OU can pass if they get behind; it's the option teams that are in a world of hurt playing from behind.

My thoughts exactly. It's generally a heck of a lot harder to come from behind for run based teams than teams with good passing games. Heck, that's football 101.

It's a lot more entertaining when run based or option teams are forced into throwing downfield to try to catch up. At least at OU we often had a Billy Brooks, Tinker Owens or Keith Jackson to go to when we needed to make yards in a hurry.

bmjlr
9/15/2010, 09:53 AM
I won't fall behind AF, i'll have about 6 beers in me before kickoff.

That is an ecellent idea and to not fall behind you, I will up it 1 beer and have 7! :D

stoopified
9/15/2010, 09:59 AM
Weird article indeed. At least OU can pass if they get behind; it's the option teams that are in a world of hurt playing from behind.True dat AND we can score in a big hurry.

sooneron
9/15/2010, 10:11 AM
Please note, BYU had less than 100 yards passing for the first time in 20 years against AFU

Noted, but some teams/qbs just have bad games (see some guy that plays for OU in the first game this yr). I have confidence that our running game can exploit their size if they decide to just sit back in coverage. Then, everyone will fire up the DM hypesman talk. Win/Win

rawlingsHOH
9/15/2010, 10:22 AM
Yeah big fail. If one of the teams were more certainly doomed, if falling behind early, common sense says it would be the option/running team.

BoulderSooner79
9/15/2010, 10:24 AM
Noted, but some teams/qbs just have bad games (see some guy that plays for OU in the first game this yr). I have confidence that our running game can exploit their size if they decide to just sit back in coverage. Then, everyone will fire up the DM hypesman talk. Win/Win

I'm a bit nervous on that point; our run game was pretty weak against FSU. Granted, they have bigger players than AFA, but the blocking scheme just didn't look effective.

goingoneight
9/15/2010, 10:39 AM

Texas does... that way they can "come back and win a close game" and pick on OU for not struggling in their wins.

westbrooke
9/15/2010, 10:48 AM

That's an impressive stat, and I hope we're taking their D seriously. But it should calm the nerves to remember that BYU this year =/= BYU last year. They graduated a lot of offensive talent last year.

Spritekid
9/15/2010, 10:50 AM

Please note, Air Force has not seen a defense like OU in which they are in your face all day and you don't know where they are coming from.

boomermagic
9/15/2010, 11:42 AM
Playing an option oriented team requires discipline defensively.. I wish we didn't have to play them but we do.. We don't normally practice for such an offense and yes it can be a great ball control offense.. We are very capable of playing well because of our talent and ability but option teams generally block well and it does present problems.. Defensively you can play well for an entire quarter or half and then the first time you get blocked out or take the pitch man when you should have taken the trailing back it's a TD.. Having said all of that I still say we are capable and will win the game.. Offensively, The running game will be extra important to establish for us this time.. I think we'll GET R DONE but AF does present problems that we don't face often and won't again this season..

Hot Rod
9/15/2010, 12:02 PM
Air Force needs to be concerned with holding onto the ball. Our boys know how to strip the ball pretty well.

I see our defense coming up with different blitzing schemes to confuse the O-line.

btb916
9/15/2010, 12:12 PM
If we fall behind early in the game by a touchdown, I don't think we'll have any trouble at all catching up. We can score fast.

But I think people are putting far too much stock in Air Force's game last week against BYU. Air Force will be a challenge, but I don't foresee it going down to the wire. If the boys are prepared, they should have no trouble winning on the field.

adoniijahsooner
9/15/2010, 12:41 PM
I foresee something...hold on as the crystal ball settles, oh there it is.....Ronnell MFn Lewis knocking out an AirForce rb.

btb916
9/15/2010, 12:45 PM
I foresee something...hold on as the crystal ball settles, oh there it is.....Ronnell MFn Lewis knocking out an AirForce rb.

You don't need a crystal ball to see that; that's a given.

Breadburner
9/15/2010, 12:50 PM
No turnovers....Disciplined on D........

King Crimson
9/15/2010, 12:56 PM

Dan Hawkins teams....

PalmBeachSooner
9/15/2010, 01:03 PM

No Max Hall and a true FR at QB makes a big difference.

King Crimson
9/15/2010, 01:47 PM
No Max Hall and a true FR at QB makes a big difference.

not at all the same team we played, but hopefully the name and beatdown alone get our attention.

AceSooner
9/15/2010, 03:20 PM
I'm a bit nervous on that point; our run game was pretty weak against FSU. Granted, they have bigger players than AFA, but the blocking scheme just didn't look effective.

They were all but selling out to stop Murray and the run game.

AceSooner
9/15/2010, 03:21 PM
First post :0

stoops the eternal pimp
9/15/2010, 03:25 PM
hmm..I wonder how many teams sell out to stop the run against Air Force

tator
9/15/2010, 03:34 PM
hmm..I wonder how many teams sell out to stop the run against Air Force
12?

(am i right?)

BoulderSooner79
9/15/2010, 03:39 PM

I didn't see a lot of players crowding the line; but even if that is what happened, they shouldn't be *that* effective against us.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/15/2010, 03:40 PM
12?

(am i right?)

WINNAH, and somehow they keep doing it!

tator
9/15/2010, 03:43 PM
WINNAH, and somehow they keep doing it!
Why do you want us to lose?

Leroy Lizard
9/15/2010, 03:44 PM
Air Force needs to be concerned with holding onto the ball. Our boys know how to strip the ball pretty well.

I see our defense coming up with different blitzing schemes to confuse the O-line.

Blitzing a wishbone? My, you do think dangerously.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/15/2010, 03:49 PM
Why do you want us to lose?

cause its time that Tulsa gets recognized as the state's football team

stoops the eternal pimp
9/15/2010, 03:50 PM
Blitzing a wishbone? My, you do think dangerously.

Air Force runs the wishbone?

Leroy Lizard
9/15/2010, 03:52 PM
Air Force runs the wishbone?

Well, triple option. If the QB can change the play after the ball is snapped, you don't want to blitz it.

At least, that is how I see it.

rawlingsHOH
9/15/2010, 04:15 PM
FSU? Selling out isn't the correct term. They played 7 in the box, 6 if we were 3-wide, and rarely got their safties involved in the run game. Like any Stoops defense, they wanted to take away the run, but they also played very conservatively in their secondary. Tried to keep everything well in front of them.

Breadburner
9/15/2010, 04:33 PM
The DE's need to get in the back-field....