PDA

View Full Version : Bush gives it back...

TexasLidig8r
9/14/2010, 04:56 PM
Before the Heisman Trust has the chance to take it away tonite...

Reggie decides to give it up.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5572827

Scott D
9/14/2010, 04:57 PM
Vincent still won't be receiving it.

OKLA21FAN
9/14/2010, 04:57 PM
be a man Reggie..... FEDEX it to Vince. (you can afford the shipping cost) :gary:

Mad Dog Madsen
9/14/2010, 04:58 PM
That's a damn shame. I hate USC and Reggie but he was an amazing football player...

badger
9/14/2010, 04:59 PM
Before anyone's an idiot like TexAgs and is all like "They didn't make OJ give his back," please be smart and remember that OJ's was sold as part of the wrongful death lawsuit.

rawlingsHOH
9/14/2010, 05:00 PM
Give the runner-ups the hardware. 05 Vince Young and 04 Oklahoma.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/14/2010, 05:01 PM
Now... how about that one earned by a certain guy with the first two initials "O" and "J"...

Frankly I don't know what the trust would have decided tonight, if anything. But if they were going down the path of stripping Bush of it, how can they continue to overlook Simpson? Or how about that cheat Hornung?

(That is to say, I would have been fine with the decision NOT to strip it from him. Just as I want no part of the '04 championship.)

rawlingsHOH
9/14/2010, 05:01 PM
Before anyone's an idiot like TexAgs and is all like "They didn't make OJ give his back," please be smart and remember that OJ's was sold as part of the wrongful death lawsuit.

OJ was an eligible student-athlete, regardless. Because he turned into a murder doesn't mean he didn't win the award fairly.

Tigeman
9/14/2010, 05:03 PM
OJ was an eligible student-athlete, regardless. Because he turned into a murder doesn't mean he didn't win the award fairly.

^^^^ THIS!!!

badger
9/14/2010, 05:03 PM

Now... how about that one earned by a certain guy with the first two initials "O" and "J"...

Frankly I don't know what the trust would have decided tonight, if anything. But if they were going down the path of stripping Bush of it, how can they continue to overlook Simpson? Or how about that cheat Hornung?

(That is to say, I would have been fine with the decision NOT to strip it from him. Just as I want no part of the '04 championship.)

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd143/dsgraphics_photos/Funny/bangHeadAgainstWall.gif

soonerboy_odanorth
9/14/2010, 05:07 PM
OJ was an eligible student-athlete, regardless.

You mean besides all the academic cheating that went on to get that moron eligible? ALLEGEDLY...

What about the allegations that Billy was given a little walking around town money? What if he cops to it? Does he get stripped retroactively? What if Hornung actually does admit he bet on Notre Dame while he was there. I'm sure he didn't become a gamblin' fool overnight.

It's a very slippery slope.

soonerhubs
9/14/2010, 05:08 PM
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd143/dsgraphics_photos/Funny/bangHeadAgainstWall.gif

2 Minutes. That's all it was. 2 minutes. :D

soonerboy_odanorth
9/14/2010, 05:12 PM
...sold as part of a wrongful death lawsuit... blah blah blah

That has nothing to do with whether the Heisman Trust should have stripped him of the award. Two entirely different arguments.

Does the Vessels estate have to give back the Heisman because of all the golden handshakes going on in his era? It was common then, and not just at Oklahoma, but still completely against the rules.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/14/2010, 05:13 PM
Everybody here hates SC... I get it. But it isn't the black and white argument you are making it to be.

And it's no secret I'm an idot. I rather relish the roll...

TXBOOMER
9/14/2010, 05:22 PM
Hook VY up to a lie detector and ask him if he he received any improper gifts before you give it to him Heisman Trust.

TexasLidig8r
9/14/2010, 05:24 PM
Hook VY up to a lie detector and ask him if he he received any improper gifts before you give it to him Heisman Trust.

Hook Billy Sims up to a lie detector and ask him if he accepted the $1,500.00 from Barry.. oh wait, no need to... Barry already admitted he paid him. :rolleyes:

badger
9/14/2010, 05:31 PM
Hook Billy Sims up to a lie detector and ask him if he accepted the $1,500.00 from Barry.. oh wait, no need to... Barry already admitted he paid him. :rolleyes:

Are you a litigator or not? Doesn't the phrase "statute of limitations" mean anything to you? Doesn't it mean EVERYthing to you?

TexasLidig8r
9/14/2010, 05:34 PM
Are you a litigator or not? Doesn't the phrase "statute of limitations" mean anything to you? Doesn't it mean EVERYthing to you?

Heisman Award has no statute of limitations Fluffy.

And.. you aren't really saying it's ok, no harm no foul if the SOL has run?!

delhalew
9/14/2010, 05:48 PM
Ya'll are making my head hurt.

badger
9/14/2010, 05:52 PM
Heisman Award has no statute of limitations Fluffy.

And.. you aren't really saying it's ok, no harm no foul if the SOL has run?!

badgers aren't fluffy, we're spikey and we'll tear your arm off if you get too close :P

And in this case statute of limitations definitely applies. Why? Because USC only lost Bush's Heisman because Bush was retroactively declared ineligible, something that won't happen to a player where the statute of limitations has passed! And thus... the Heisman will never revoke Sims' Heisman regardless of what the King says about $1,500! Because.... tada! Sims won't be declared retroactively ineligible!

Now, a player like VY, who last played in a game in the year 2006, just like Bush, I'd have to say that a lot more time will have to pass before he and his coaches can talk freely about his $100 handshakes.

Oh, and of course I'm not trying to justify this. I'm just saying Sims will not lose his Heisman, nor will OU lose their copy of Sims' Heisman.

En_Fuego
9/14/2010, 05:57 PM
Bleek

CrimsonJim
9/14/2010, 06:00 PM
That's a damn shame. I hate USC and Reggie but he was an amazing football player...

The best money can buy! Oh wait...that wasn't right, was it?

goingoneight
9/14/2010, 06:02 PM
Take your comment back, CrimsonJim!!! Take it back!!! ;)

CrimsonJim
9/14/2010, 06:03 PM
NEVAR!! :D

swardboy
9/14/2010, 06:14 PM
And it's no secret I'm an idot. I rather relish the roll... __________________

I'm sorry....there goes another keyboard. This is funny on SO many levels.

btb916
9/14/2010, 06:14 PM
Did I miss the memo that said only good character guys could win the Heisman? It's about how someone performs on the field, and since he didn't cheat there . . . why strip him of an award based on performance?

soonerscuba
9/14/2010, 06:19 PM
This must be heaven for the Horns, they get to combine their love of asterisks and Vince Young!

CrimsonJim
9/14/2010, 06:22 PM
Time will tell, but I really think it will be vacated, just like the MNC was.

TexasLidig8r
9/14/2010, 06:28 PM
Did I miss the memo that said only good character guys could win the Heisman? It's about how someone performs on the field, and since he didn't cheat there . . . why strip him of an award based on performance?

Because the award, pursuant to the Heisman Trust's guidelines goes to an "eligible" player. Since it was established that Bush accepted illegal benefits, he was ineligible under the NCAA rules.

It doesn't have to do with "character" but with being eligible pursuant to NCAA rules.

Perhaps if you wouldn't have been yelling 'Home of the Sooners" you would have received the memo.

Crucifax Autumn
9/14/2010, 06:56 PM
That 1500 Lid keeps harping on was allegedly given to Sims AFTER he won the Heisman, therefore he WAS eligible when he won it.

JLEW1818
9/14/2010, 06:57 PM
Lid, why do you drink your own pee ?

Soonerntxs
9/14/2010, 07:00 PM
Lid, why do you drink your own pee ?

Jlew1818, lawyers don't drink their own pee, they drink the pee of their clients once they drain them of everything else!:D

ashley
9/14/2010, 07:38 PM
He won it. It has been over for a long time.

JLEW1818
9/14/2010, 07:41 PM
give the 2005 Heisman to 2004Auburn.. derrr!!!

rawlingsHOH
9/14/2010, 07:43 PM
You mean besides all the academic cheating that went on to get that moron eligible? ALLEGEDLY...

What about the allegations that Billy was given a little walking around town money? What if he cops to it? Does he get stripped retroactively? What if Hornung actually does admit he bet on Notre Dame while he was there. I'm sure he didn't become a gamblin' fool overnight.

It's a very slippery slope.

You'd imagine a NCAA investigation would have to be accompanying it, as in the Bush case. What is their statute of limitations?

afs
9/14/2010, 08:15 PM
who the **** cares.

JLEW1818
9/14/2010, 08:16 PM
okay, somebody please make a copy cat thread .... so much potential

WA. Sooner
9/14/2010, 08:38 PM
wasn't the 1500 for baby sitting

sooneron
9/14/2010, 08:46 PM
I say give it to Radio just as soon as he shows all the paperwork for his Yukon that he was rollin' down in the 512 back innaday...

sooneron
9/14/2010, 08:59 PM
Desmond Howard's reaction to this is flippin' laughable. Isn't he somehow involved in what's going on in college football media-wise? It's like he's hearing about the allegations/sanctions today for the first time!

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5572827

fadada1
9/14/2010, 08:59 PM
maybe auburn will claim 85 heismans for each of their players during the '04 season... and alabama will take the national championship.

i seriously don't kow how the heisman OR national championship ever end up any where other than the state of alabama.

fadada1
9/14/2010, 09:00 PM
I say give it to Radio just as soon as he shows all the paperwork for his Yukon that he was rollin' down in the 512 back innaday...

GI Bill, brutha. GI Bill.

OUthunder
9/14/2010, 09:10 PM
Donate the trophy to Goodwill. To hell with VY.

rainiersooner
9/14/2010, 10:17 PM

I believe it was in the great movie, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, that the following immortal words were spoken by the French police officer to Steve Martin:

"Of course you cheated. To cheat on your wife, yes, that is French. But to get caught. That, is American."

I mean that less as a treatise on Franco-American relations, than the thought that all of us should not assume that our sh*t don't stink.

85sooners
9/14/2010, 10:21 PM
phuck u lid!!

picasso
9/14/2010, 10:25 PM
Perhaps if you wouldn't have been yelling 'Home of the Sooners" you would have received the memo.

Sure as hell beats yelling 'Home of the Arrsholes.'

Doesn't that get old Liddy?

Jason White's Third Knee
9/14/2010, 10:57 PM
As a Bush hater, I rather enjoy the turmoil that he is going through. That being said, it doesn't diminish his super human accomplishments on the field.

usc should have to vacate wins. Regardless of the hundreds of thousands that Bush received in compensation (yes, that makes a difference to me when referring to other Heisman winners that received hundreds in benefits) he was still un-friggin-real. Whether or not his team was eligible didn't make him any less of an eye popping spectacle.

He was more impressive than VY and if Carroll had given the ball to Bush instead of Lendale White on 4th down, the Young debate would be pointless. White was the downhill power runner, yet Bush torched him in the strength portion of the combines.

The award should be given after the season, but it isn't, so Young is out of the equation... otherwise Josh Huepel would have Weinke's trophy (the one that Torrance Marshall got back).

As bad as Bush's improprieties appear, they are nothing compared to OJ. I don't care about Bush's eligibility when it comes to the over-hyped Heisman trophy. Murder puts a bigger shadow over the award than under the table cash. I am not sure that I care when OJ murdered a person. You shouldn't want him as a representative.

I'd let Bush keep the trophy. I'd vote for the trophy after the season. I'd revoke OJ's. And if the award was given after the bowl games, I would have voted for VY, but just barely. Besides, I think Bush should have won Lienart's anyway.

SoonerLB
9/14/2010, 11:33 PM
Since the Heisman Trust is in session, seems like it would be a good time to get their act together and:
1. Change the voting timetable to after the bowl games/NC game.
2. Nominate and vote for the actual best players instead of picking from a list of favs assembled from talking heads and hype campaigns.
3. And give voting priveledges only to those qualified and proven to use good judgement in casting said votes.

BoulderSooner79
9/14/2010, 11:39 PM
Since the Heisman Trust is in session, seems like it would be a good time to get their act together and:
1. Change the voting timetable to after the bowl games/NC game.
2. Nominate and vote for the actual best players instead of picking from a list of favs assembled from talking heads and hype campaigns.
3. And give voting priveledges only to those qualified and proven to use good judgement in casting said votes.

You 3rd criteria is impossible as long as voters are chosen from the human race.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/14/2010, 11:54 PM
You 3rd criteria is impossible as long as voters are chosen from the human race.

Human species.

What? Too nerdy?

BoulderSooner79
9/15/2010, 12:30 AM
Human species.

What? Too nerdy?

It's best to be accurate.

Crucifax Autumn
9/15/2010, 01:18 AM
Vincey-poo's tweet from today totally contradicts what he had to say yesterday. The guy's really confused I guess:

Originally Posted by a rahtard
“just heard about Reggie’s Heisman. Reg will continue to be the 2005 Award recipient and I will continue to be honored to have been in the 2005 Heisman campaign with such a talented athlete.”

goingoneight
9/15/2010, 08:28 AM
Guys and Gals... this really and truly is pretty simple.

When the game was on the line, Reggie Bush was on the sideline in favor of--

LenDale White for Heisman!!!

goingoneight
9/15/2010, 08:31 AM
Vincey-poo's tweet from today totally contradicts what he had to say yesterday. The guy's really confused I guess:

I'm pretty sure Vince "Cuz we be gangsta y'all" Young didn't write that.

Mad Dog Madsen
9/15/2010, 09:30 AM
The best money can buy! Oh wait...that wasn't right, was it?

I don't think taking money made him play better. He woulda still won regardless...

sooneron
9/15/2010, 10:16 AM
Let me retweet that for Vince. :mack:

Crucifax Autumn
9/15/2010, 01:13 PM
This is the one ESPN.com quoted:

https://twitter.com/VinceYoung10

pilobolus
9/15/2010, 01:21 PM
Why would a :texan: come here to break news about Reggie Bush? Too *uckin' weird.

sooneron
9/15/2010, 01:41 PM
Now THIS is more Radio's "speed" -

If they tell u that u can't tell them this Say I Won't. 10:48 AM Sep 14th via MOTOBLUR

Yep, that was real

Crucifax Autumn
9/15/2010, 01:49 PM
Doesn't get realer yo!

NOVSooner
9/15/2010, 03:01 PM
No 2005 heisman winner per Heisman trust:

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5576729

Soonerntxs
9/15/2010, 03:21 PM
http://sportsreport.freedomblogging.com/files/2007/12/heisman1206.jpg

Here I sit upon a shelf, reggie no more, just by myself.
Vince can want and Vince can wait
but on this shelf is just my fate.
If only those who give me out, could hear my inner voice,
they'd know that if it was of one, OU would be my choice!

NO STEALIN MY POEM (soonerntxs):D

Leroy Lizard
9/15/2010, 03:50 PM

Which one contained content that resembled the English language? That is the one from his agent.

Leroy Lizard
9/15/2010, 03:54 PM

Bravo!

SoonerLB
9/15/2010, 04:39 PM
http://sportsreport.freedomblogging.com/files/2007/12/heisman1206.jpg

Double BRAVO!!

Mad Dog Madsen
9/15/2010, 04:47 PM

4.5/10

badger
9/15/2010, 04:51 PM
Oh sitting by myself
Oh sitting by myself
Reggie, there's nothing left to lose
And NCAA's got all of the proof
I'll be sitting by myself

(with apologies to billy idol) :P

TXBOOMER
9/15/2010, 05:06 PM
LOL! Keep begging Mack, maybe next time!

sooneron
9/15/2010, 09:27 PM
I was the.. a.. huge part of the reason that he agreed that he would accept it, because I asked him to and uh the honor of the athletic department and the .. uh.. football team. :mack:

ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME???

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5577364

sooneron
9/15/2010, 09:28 PM
I'm sorry, I would be extremely embarassed if this ^ were my team's coach. Lid?

sooneron
9/15/2010, 09:33 PM
Srsly, I can't get over it. It's embarassing!! Mack wants another trophy in his already light trophy case to show the next batch of recruits. Sad. pathetic actually. We win by more than 3 scores in Oct. book it.

MyT Oklahoma
9/15/2010, 09:48 PM
Say it ain't so Reggie.. say it ain't so.

Oh yeah. That's right. Reggie's still yet to tell anyone the whole truth.

Never mind.

picasso
9/15/2010, 10:13 PM
No 2005 heisman winner per Heisman trust:

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5576729

hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhaahahahahahahhaaa aaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahaahahhaha hahahahahahahahahahahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

sooneron
9/15/2010, 10:14 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

47straight
9/16/2010, 12:54 AM
:mack:

ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME???

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5577364

Mack is going to call into the Heisman/and/or/USC broadcast this year to talk about it

E-Town
9/16/2010, 01:18 AM
So is that one less SUC voter for the Heisman? I'm sure they will not let Reggie cast a vote.

TexasLidig8r
9/16/2010, 08:18 AM
I'm sorry, I would be extremely embarassed if this ^ were my team's coach. Lid?

He sees it as a team award. No BFD.

I would be much more embarrassed if he was admittedly paying our players, or having assistant coaches spy on other schools and blatantly lying about it.. or sleeping with the wife of an assistant coach, or having our starting quarterback arrested for selling blow to an undercover cop, or having 3 players on the team gang rape a coed in a dorm, or offering scholarships to high school players who take guns to their high school campus, or who are indicted on multiple felonies.. now THAT I would be embarrassed about.

Mississippi Sooner
9/16/2010, 08:23 AM
I've only been around here for a year or so, but Lid seems to have a fixation with Barry Switzer. :D

goingoneight
9/16/2010, 08:29 AM
Are you embarassed about Macky Mack's alumni being on YouTube punching a woman?
What about the slew of serious crimes we kept hearing about coming out of Austin? I guess if your memory is good enough to remember a few individuals 21 years and four head coaching tenures ago, these incidents shouldn't be too hard to remember.
I'd be embarassed to wear burnt orange, though... so what do I know (or anyone else that's not colorblind)?

Soonerntxs
9/16/2010, 08:50 AM
I've only been around here for a year or so, but Lid seems to have a fixation with Barry Switzer. :D

I too am a "NOOB" (as LID would call us) but I also wonder about this him/her, I have a vision of this :texan: outside the back of the Barry Switzer Estate, digging through trash cans, looking for things to sniff.:eek: I can also see this someone comming up to the Switzer Center and getting a glimpse of those 7 Crystal Balls and then doing naughty things in the restroom while thinking about them.

I would like to donate $5 to the kitty and buy LID (the closet SOONER) a beer at the TG.

olevetonahill
9/16/2010, 09:07 AM
Hes just a flame baiter and trash talker that for some unknown reason The Admins allow to stay around and bash our Players and coaches .:rolleyes:

Oh and its nOOb Ya nOObs ;)

TexasLidig8r
9/16/2010, 09:16 AM
I too am a "NOOB" (as LID would call us) but I also wonder about this him/her, I have a vision of this :texan: outside the back of the Barry Switzer Estate, digging through trash cans, looking for things to sniff.:eek: I can also see this someone comming up to the Switzer Center and getting a glimpse of those 7 Crystal Balls and then doing naughty things in the restroom while thinking about them.

I would like to donate $5 to the kitty and buy LID (the closet SOONER) a beer at the TG.

Actually, Barry is a charming fun guy to have a beer or two with.

Now if you contribute $12 and buy me a martini during Texas - Ou week here in Dallas, you're on.

TexasLidig8r
9/16/2010, 09:16 AM
Hes just a flame baiter and trash talker that for some unknown reason The Admins allow to stay around and bash our Players and coaches .:rolleyes:

Oh and its nOOb Ya nOObs ;)

Don't you have a Charlie Daniels look alike contest to attend?

sooneron
9/16/2010, 09:45 AM

I would be much more embarrassed if he was admittedly paying our players, or having assistant coaches spy on other schools and blatantly lying about it.. or sleeping with the wife of an assistant coach, or having our starting quarterback arrested for selling blow to an undercover cop, or having 3 players on the team gang rape a coed in a dorm, or offering scholarships to high school players who take guns to their high school campus, or who are indicted on multiple felonies.. now THAT I would be embarrassed about.

LOL! I forgot about the choir boys of ut.

picasso
9/16/2010, 10:00 AM

Mack's a media slut. Enough with the doing it for the program stuff. He makes you guys look silly and insecure.
All the money that Texas has in China and this goofball still has to pimp for the camera.
The best part is that tiny little poor uneducated Oklahoma gives you fits.

And VY doesn't deserve the Heisman. If they would have voted AFTER the bowls then yes. But then OU would have 2 or 3 more of 'em too.

picasso
9/16/2010, 10:05 AM
And I'll mention something said on another board. Mack may just be trying to overcome the fact that Stoops has had more players bring back the Heisman trophy.
Put that in your spittle and drool it.

sooneron
9/16/2010, 10:15 AM
but,..... we're texas...

picasso
9/16/2010, 10:20 AM
Don't you have a Charlie Daniels look alike contest to attend?

Don't you have a Jeffrey Tambor look alike contest to attend?

sooneron
9/16/2010, 10:24 AM
Don't you have a Jeffrey Tambor (midget version) look alike contest to attend?
FIFY

picasso
9/16/2010, 10:30 AM
Lid's short? That would explain a lot.

Scott D
9/16/2010, 11:23 AM
So is that one less SUC voter for the Heisman? I'm sure they will not let Reggie cast a vote.

That would be fairly accurate. However, it's not like they're still not in a somewhat majority in volume of voters without Bush.

soonerbrat
9/16/2010, 11:28 AM
I DON'T CARE ANYMORE!

TexasLidig8r
9/16/2010, 11:47 AM
Lid's short? That would explain a lot.

wow.. 5'11" is short?

How are the coloring books coming along? :D

sooneron
9/16/2010, 11:56 AM
5'11 with lifts in your ferragamos , MAYBE.

picasso
9/16/2010, 12:17 PM
wow.. 5'11" is short?

How are the coloring books coming along? :D

Nope, 5'11" isn't short. I was quoting what Ron said. I've never seen you in the flesh Liddy.

Luckily.;)

picasso
9/16/2010, 12:19 PM
5'11 with lifts in your ferragamos , MAYBE.

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics/200/EPXPZOTICLQJMKD.20020924000418.jpg

TexasLidig8r
9/16/2010, 12:31 PM
Nope, 5'11" isn't short. I was quoting what Ron said. I've never seen you in the flesh Liddy.

Luckily.;)

You coming down for the Texas - Ou ho down?

Look for a cantankerous, cigar smokin old curmudgeon with a hot younger woman on his arm. I'll buy you a beer.. or geritol for me.. whichever.

Mississippi Sooner
9/16/2010, 12:36 PM
I'm 6'-4"....6'-9" with the afro.

picasso
9/16/2010, 12:44 PM
You coming down for the Texas - Ou ho down?

Look for a cantankerous, cigar smokin old curmudgeon with a hot younger woman on his arm. I'll buy you a beer.. or geritol for me.. whichever.

I can't! We've got a soon to be 1 year old running amok!

Plus I've got a large art project I have to have finished at the end of next month.
No play time for Jack.:D