PDA

View Full Version : at Halftime

oudavid1
9/14/2010, 02:41 PM
This was asked on another thread in the South Oval

Would you rather watch the Pride at halftime, or other games around the country on the big screen.

cdlbdd
9/14/2010, 02:44 PM
I would love to watch the Pride if they were entertaining.

Since they aren't, give me football. (muted would be fine so that those who want to hear the Pride can)

saucysoonergal
9/14/2010, 02:44 PM
I would like to hear the pride at halftime.

TahoeSOONER
9/14/2010, 02:52 PM
The Prrrride of Oklahoma!

My phone let's me watch games.

mehip
9/14/2010, 02:56 PM
There are few things in life I really don't like. Marching Bands and Parades are two of them. So, I would rather watch football.

Mad Dog Madsen
9/14/2010, 03:16 PM
The Pride... If ya wanna watch other games, stay at home.

Collier11
9/14/2010, 03:23 PM
The Pride... If ya wanna watch other games, stay at home.

Uber ghey ^ I dont have to watch other games but I def dont want to watch the Pride

Sooner04
9/14/2010, 03:26 PM
I watch the Pride.

Those kids work hard at what they do.

Collier11
9/14/2010, 03:28 PM
So do the concession stand folks, do you watch them put together your nachos, probably about as interesting

Mad Dog Madsen
9/14/2010, 03:29 PM
Uber ghey ^ I dont have to watch other games but I def dont want to watch the Pride

Uber ghey? Seriously? What's more gay than just saying that? ...I have a friend that plays in The Pride. Sure, they're no Ohio State with dotting the "I" or whatever but come on, they are called "The Pride of Oklahoma." Let's act proud. lol.

soonersweetie
9/14/2010, 03:34 PM
Both, put the games on the big screen (no sound) and I can hear the Pride in the background :)

mhackl
9/14/2010, 03:35 PM
Give me football! No disrespect to the pride, but it's just not that interesting.

soonervegas
9/14/2010, 03:35 PM
Both, put the games on the big screen (no sound) and I can hear the Pride in the background :)

exactly.

badger
9/14/2010, 03:41 PM

As a former Pride member, I can tell you that it would have bothered me back then if Soonervision showed games/highlights during our halftime show.

At the same time, think about how many times you've watched talking heads at halftime and wished that they showed the halftime show instead.

SONofa47straitSOONER
9/14/2010, 03:46 PM
Both. Cut right to the games at the very end of the half. Maybe even split screen to show two or four at the same time. Then, close ups of the "Pride" during their performance, respectively. Then back to the games and scores before the kickoff of the third quarter.

Sooner04
9/14/2010, 03:49 PM
So do the concession stand folks, do you watch them put together your nachos, probably about as interesting
You'll be happy to know that no cheese was harmed in the making of those nachos.

sooner59
9/14/2010, 04:05 PM
I just wish that they would continuously show scores from around the nation on the sideboards. I hate when I look up trying to find the score to such and such game (because I can't access the internet on my phone in stadium with AT&T getting slammed) and all I see is a banner saying OU SOONERS or Pride of Oklahoma. While the Pride are playing, they are on the field, the videoboard, and the sideboards. At least give up the sideboards for other game scores.

Spritekid
9/14/2010, 04:07 PM
So why can't you have both??? Enjoy the music of Oklahoma Pride while catching so info on the big screen. No difference than checking the scores on your phone while its going on.

OU Engineer
9/14/2010, 04:15 PM
definitely football. Love the pride and all the tradition that surrounds it, but if I wanted lady Gaga I would watch MTV or turn on the radio.

agoo758
9/14/2010, 04:17 PM
definitely football. Love the pride and all the tradition that surrounds it, but if I wanted lady Gaga I would watch MTV or turn on the radio.

THIS.

sooner59
9/14/2010, 04:21 PM

Yeah this Lady Gaga **** is f***ing ghey.

oudavid1
9/14/2010, 04:25 PM
I wish i could make POLLS! yeah im looking at you admins.....whats the deal with that?

sooner59
9/14/2010, 04:29 PM
I wish i could make POLES! yeah im looking at you admins.....whats the deal with that?

Dang it nOOb....FIFY. :rolleyes:

Joe
9/14/2010, 05:13 PM
I'd rather watch football than a brian britt led marching band.

oudavid1
9/14/2010, 06:48 PM
I wish i could make POLLS! yeah im looking at you admins.....whats the deal with that?

Originally Posted by oudavid1 View Post
I wish i could make POLES! yeah im looking at you admins.....whats the deal with that?

Dang it nOOb....FIFY. :rolleyes:

lol but seriously, i wanna make poles.

Collier11
9/14/2010, 07:02 PM
Uber ghey? Seriously? What's more gay than just saying that? ...I have a friend that plays in The Pride. Sure, they're no Ohio State with dotting the "I" or whatever but come on, they are called "The Pride of Oklahoma." Let's act proud. lol.

Uber ghey cus you said if you want to watch football stay home, I dont go to a football game to watch lame songs played badly, I go to see football

cccasooner2
9/14/2010, 07:07 PM
lol but seriously, i wanna make poles.

BTW, what happened to the forum where one could practice making poles :) and such?

testing?

budbarrybob
9/14/2010, 07:17 PM
exactly.

WINNA!!!!!

OUthunder
9/14/2010, 09:15 PM
This was asked on another thread in the South Oval

Would you rather watch the Pride at halftime, or other games around the country on the big screen.

I'd rather watch paint dry then the Pride in their current state.

sooner59
9/14/2010, 10:21 PM
This thread is allsome. :D

GottaHavePride
9/14/2010, 10:55 PM
This.... is why I don't donate to the Pride alumni association.

Boomer38Sooner
9/14/2010, 10:58 PM
The Prrrride of Oklahoma!

My phone let's me watch games.

Mine too

sooner59
9/14/2010, 11:38 PM
How the hell do you people get service at halftime in the stadium? You must not have AT&T. Who you got?

Collier11
9/15/2010, 12:11 AM
I cant even get service outside the stadium with sorry azz ATT

Crucifax Autumn
9/15/2010, 12:33 AM
Or in Vegas.

Collier11
9/15/2010, 12:37 AM
98% of the country my ***

sooner59
9/15/2010, 01:28 AM
What the hell happened to double the coverage when AT&T and US Cellular merged? Bull f***ing s***.

Crucifax Autumn
9/15/2010, 01:36 AM
Since I'm way out here and can't actually make any games, my halftime routine is usually mellowing out with a good book and a beer in the sh*tter, so I don't really care what they do.

ccmike9
9/15/2010, 04:00 AM
I'm on Verizon, i usually get okay service

stoopified
9/15/2010, 08:10 AM
Marching bands are boring IMHO.halftime is for concession/restromm runs.

MichiganSooner
9/15/2010, 09:47 AM
I watch the Pride at halftime.

OUMallen
9/15/2010, 10:06 AM
I don't know if it was said, but I bet there are issues with displaying a broadcast to 85k people that paid admission?

oudavid1
9/15/2010, 10:10 AM
I don't know if it was said, but I bet there are issues with displaying a broadcast to 85k people that paid admission?

well like whats?

oudavid1
9/15/2010, 10:12 AM
When the pom squad takes the field to do their little striptease in the third quarter, we should flip the SoonerVision over to the Mountain West game of the week over on Versus as well?

Well ive already gotten my own striptease from certain members of the squad so i wouldnt mind.

Sooner04
9/15/2010, 10:15 AM
Well ive already gotten my own striptease from certain members of the squad so i wouldnt mind.
So have I. What's your point?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/15/2010, 10:16 AM
dear lowered

rawlingsHOH
9/15/2010, 10:18 AM
well like whats?
Like broadcast copyright infringement laws.

Ever hear the "reproduced or retransmitted" warnings at the end of sporting events?

oudavid1
9/15/2010, 10:19 AM
So have I. What's your point?

lol i didnt see you there?

oh thats whay over my head

Sooner04
9/15/2010, 10:20 AM

Ever hear the "reproduced or retransmitted" warnings at the end of sporting events?
And through the dark clouds came a voice of reason!

goingoneight
9/15/2010, 10:31 AM
I'm usually busy giving my halftime speech to the team (of Sooner fans around me).

SteelClip49
9/15/2010, 10:32 AM
a few things here to mention.....

1. AT&T does really suck and it pisses me off when I can't get a call or text out especially responding to a potential booty call after the FSU win.

2. USC, Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, Texass, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Florida, Penn State, Army, Air Force, Navy all or most are football powers with beyond amazing marching bands and are entertaining at halftime.

The Pride is crap. They are the Glee version of matching bands ruining good music. I want football games shown at halftime or just have music played like before the games.

The only thing entertaining about the Pride is our now known world renowned female twirler which did a great job last Saturday.

3. The Pride is the John Blake of marching bands....embarrassing.

Soonerwake
9/15/2010, 10:44 AM
I will admit that I don't have a clue with regards to what is considered a good or bad marching band performance, but my opinion is that the halftime show is just plain boring. I know that the band works very hard to put that stuff together, and are very talented individually. But, the show tunes, instrumental covers of crappy pop music, and the unispiring formations just don't do it for me. I'm not sure what would be better though.

Saying that, I don't really want to watch games on the screen at halftime, so I will offer up option 3 - getting a beer outside and coming back in. :D

oudavid1
9/15/2010, 10:52 AM
Sprint sucks too btw.

Collier11
9/15/2010, 12:21 PM
a few things here to mention.....

1. AT&T does really suck and it pisses me off when I can't get a call or text out especially responding to a potential booty call after the FSU win.

I hope you eventually got a hold of him? :eek: :D

virginiasooner
9/15/2010, 12:42 PM
Gawd, why is this even a question? THE PRIDE. As I am out here on the East Coast, attending only 1 game every couple of years, it's so good to see them, especially when the opposing team's band is TERRIBLE (yeah, I'm looking at you OSU). While watching the game in a bar with a bunch of other Sooners is one of the greatest ways to spend a Saturday afternoon, it sucks that NO ONE shows any halftime shows! And it's fun to compare pregame and halftime shows. And since it has been stuck in my craw for three years, Colorado's band SUCKS. It was the most lame-*** excuse homecoming I've ever seen. For instance, the Pride usually has a couple hundred band alumni. The Buffs had about 50, if that! I've managed to block out Boise State's performance in the Fiesta Bowl, and I thought Wazzu was okay in the Rose Bowl. No, I was never in marching band, but I do love them, especially when they are good. With apologies to the Pride, Ohio State's Script Ohio is great.

SoonerPr8r
9/15/2010, 01:01 PM
I vote for jello wrestling, or coach boxing midfield.

bri
9/15/2010, 01:05 PM
Gawd, why is this even a question?

Because it's SoonerFans?

Collier11
9/15/2010, 01:17 PM
Its a question cus several people find the Pride useless and boring, nothing wrong with that

sooner59
9/15/2010, 01:45 PM
Pregame Pride = good.

Halftime Pride = snooze.

Collier11
9/15/2010, 02:05 PM
Id agree with that 100%, Ive been a little too hard on the Pride. The pregame routine is awesome

bri
9/15/2010, 02:17 PM
That's 'cause not even that diabolical fiend Brian Britt would dare mess with the pregame. :D

CrimsonCommando
9/15/2010, 05:09 PM
The Pride only needs to show up for the start. Then they can go shove more wieners in their faces and STFU. I hate the uniforms. Sometimes at games we buy a ****load of hotdogs and when they become annoying we throw the weiners at them. Only once in 19 years have we been able to land one in a tuba.

I'd stick around for an entertaining band. Like TAMU - they always win halftime. I would like to see more predominatley black bands come in with the drummers and dancers. Hell, just run about 100 big-tittied girls out there with battons and let them sing anything - that'd be better then the lame *** Pride.

badger
9/15/2010, 05:56 PM
I just hope they do something cool for armed forces appreciation day (or whatever Uncle Dave is calling it). It would be a shame if they just tacked a patriotic song onto the end of last week's Lady Gaga or something.

Boomer Mooner
9/15/2010, 06:09 PM
Watching marching bands is a lot like watching baseball games for me...pretty cool when you are at the game, but doesn't translate so well over tv.

When I hear the Sooner Pride now it reminds me of when I was at OU in the late 80's. We used to hear them from a distance during their practices all the time.

OUthunder
9/15/2010, 08:55 PM
I can get coverage in Italy but not at Owen Field. AT&T is teh awesome.

soonergirlNeugene
9/15/2010, 09:33 PM
Wow, I have to say I'm really surprised by this thread. The Pride is just part of OU football. I would no more banish them from the field than I would the Schooner or the Crimson on our helmets.

My childhood memories of OU football are inseparably linked to getting up before light on gameday and making the long drive to Norman so we could walk up the street with the band before game time. I've got no more invested in the Pride than any other Sooner - I've never been a band jock, nor has anyone else in my family, and have no idea what is supposed to make any of the other bands mentioned here superior. All I know is ours is the only one that plays Boomer Sooner on Saturdays. It's part of our identity and I'd never give it up for another team's game or some characterless corporate-sponsored halftime show. Tradition does not come cheap, folks. Lets not be so quick to sell out on ours.

Collier11
9/15/2010, 09:37 PM
Thats like saying we should be happy with sub par beer just cus its Oklahoma Beer :D

Eielson
9/15/2010, 09:56 PM
but come on, they are called "The Pride of Oklahoma." Let's act proud.

Did they think that if they named it "The Pride" that people would actually care about it? Obviously it didn't work, but I'm still curious what the thought process behind that was.

sooner59
9/15/2010, 11:48 PM
The Davis High School band is called the Pride of the Arbuckles. Doesn't mean I want to watch them at halftime more checking other scores or going to take a p***.

Collier11
9/15/2010, 11:51 PM
Davis has a huge football game this week

sooner59
9/15/2010, 11:52 PM
Yep, Heritage Hall. They better play better defense than they did against Sulphur last week.

47straight
9/16/2010, 12:41 AM
Watch old videos of the Pride on the jumbotron

47straight
9/16/2010, 12:42 AM
Wow, I have to say I'm really surprised by this thread. The Pride is just part of OU football. I would no more banish them from the field than I would the Schooner or the Crimson on our helmets.

My childhood memories of OU football are inseparably linked to getting up before light on gameday and making the long drive to Norman so we could walk up the street with the band before game time. I've got no more invested in the Pride than any other Sooner - I've never been a band jock, nor has anyone else in my family, and have no idea what is supposed to make any of the other bands mentioned here superior. All I know is ours is the only one that plays Boomer Sooner on Saturdays. It's part of our identity and I'd never give it up for another team's game or some characterless corporate-sponsored halftime show. Tradition does not come cheap, folks. Lets not be so quick to sell out on ours.

We didn't sell ours out... Lady Gaga did

soonergirlNeugene
9/16/2010, 10:12 AM
Ok, I will agree that I've always found it cheesy when a marching band plays popular music. Be it Lady Gaga or Metallica or whomever the flavor of the month happens to be. There is no faster way to lame up a piece of music than to play something meant to be done with vocals and a guitar with trumpets, trombones, and tubas. Bands need to stick to orchestral music, the occasional movie theme, etc. If this thread is about losing the lame music choices then I'm all for it, but the Pride itself is another matter entirely.

GottaHavePride
9/25/2010, 12:31 PM
Did they think that if they named it "The Pride" that people would actually care about it? Obviously it didn't work, but I'm still curious what the thought process behind that was.

Because just 10 years ago, and for a good three decades before that, The Pride wasn't just a band - it was the best damn marching band in the entire damn country, bar none. No other band could play AND march as well as The Pride. And they've been doing it since 1901. Little kids grow up dreaming of marching in that band. Kids in that band have grandparents who marched in that band.

Now? Not so much. Texas Tech is the best band in the Big 12 for playing, Texas A&M for marching. Hell, right now I'd say The Pride has fallen behind Tech, Texas, and probably even OSU.

The Davis High School band is called the Pride of the Arbuckles. Doesn't mean I want to watch them at halftime more checking other scores or going to take a p***.

50% of high school bands in Oklahoma are called The Pride of Something-or-other. Guess where they stole it from?

Crucifax Autumn
9/25/2010, 12:54 PM
If I had my choice it would always be extremely epic "battle music" like the aforementioned movie themes and classical bits, but always stuff like the Imperial March from Star Wars and **** like Wagner. If they are gonna play something from the realm of rock or pop make it something like the meaner sounding Metallica songs and the like.

You want to make the place feel like the stakes are high and the gladiators on the field are laying their lives on the line. It's all about atmosphere and Lady Gaga's music doesn't make me feel like kicking anyones *** but hers.

And make it LOUD.

OU Engineer
9/25/2010, 01:42 PM
Also, how many times do you play the "Mortal Combat" theme during the game before it becomes too many?

Ive been going to OU games for a while and understand tradition, but just because its a tradition doesnt mean you should continue it if it sucks.

Eielson
9/25/2010, 02:52 PM
Because just 10 years ago, and for a good three decades before that, The Pride wasn't just a band - it was the best damn marching band in the entire damn country, bar none. No other band could play AND march as well as The Pride. And they've been doing it since 1901. Little kids grow up dreaming of marching in that band. Kids in that band have grandparents who marched in that band.

Now? Not so much. Texas Tech is the best band in the Big 12 for playing, Texas A&M for marching. Hell, right now I'd say The Pride has fallen behind Tech, Texas, and probably even OSU.

Oh, thanks for clearing that up. I've seen quite a few "Pride of...'s" so it always seemed strange. I didn't know that's where it came from.

GottaHavePride
9/25/2010, 06:50 PM
Also, how many times do you play the "Mortal Combat" theme during the game before it becomes too many?

Ive been going to OU games for a while and understand tradition, but just because its a tradition doesnt mean you should continue it if it sucks.

Once is too many. They never should have started playing that piece of crap.

sooner518
9/25/2010, 06:56 PM
other games. im fine with the band staying in the stands....