PDA

View Full Version : You stay classy, *

XingTheRubicon
9/14/2010, 09:33 AM
from Mack Brown-Texas Football AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Garrett Gilbert passed for 222 yards and a touchdown and No. 5 Texas beat Wyoming 34-7 Saturday night.

After spending most of the first game against Rice running the ball, Texas opened up its passing playbook against the Cowboys. The result was similar.

Gilbert was 22 of 35 with a 45-yard touchdown to freshman receiver Mike Davis in the second quarter. Fozzy Whittaker scored on a 39-yard run.

Texas (2-0) held the Cowboys to 257 total yards.

Wyoming (1-1) played just six days after the death of freshman linebacker Ruben Narcisse, who was killed in a car accident in Colorado on Monday. The Cowboys wore decals with his initials and safety Shamiel Gary wore Narcisse's No. 12 to honor him Saturday night.

When these teams met in 2009, Texas got off to a slow start on a cool and windy afternoon in the high-altitude of Laramie, Wyo.

This time, the Longhorns had the Cowboys much closer to sea level in the wilting Texas heat. The temperature at kickoff was 94 degrees with a heat index of 103.

But playing to honor their teammate, the Cowboys once again kept things close for a half.

Texas' first five drives resulted in two field goals and three punts before Carta-Samuels scampered 18-yards for a touchdown and a 7-6 Wyoming lead.

The touchdown seemed to be the jolt Texas needed.

The Longhorns needed just four plays to respond and Whittaker broke four tackles on his touchdown run up the middle. He smashed through two defenders near the line of scrimmage and shook two more downfield before romping into the end zone.

The Texas defense quickly got the ball back and Gilbert threw the strike to Davis on the first play.

The lanky Davis, who drew raves from Texas coaches in training camp, didn't have a catch in the first game against Rice. He had four for 90 yards by halftime against Wyoming. The touchdown came on a crossing route when he stopped, spun to his right and outran the defender over the next 30 yards to put Texas up 20-7.

In the third quarter, Gilbert made a move worthy of Colt McCoy--if not quite Vince Young--when he scrambled to avoid a rush and hopped over a tackler for an 11-yard gain. The play came on a third down in an 11-play drive that Cody Johnson finished with a 2-yard touchdown.

Johnson punched in Texas' final touchdown on a 1-yard run with 54 seconds to play.

This also fails to mention what happened with 2 minutes to go.

First of all, Texas prepared a moment of silence tribute to honor the tragic death of a Wyoming linebacker that died in a auto accident just 6 days ago.

Very nice move by UT with everyone watching at the beginning of the game. However, after the game was decided, and everyone quit watching...Texas starts to run the clock out after taking it over on downs.

* with a 20 point lead
1st and 10 at TEX 36 Cody Johnson rush for 8 yards to the Texas 44. 7 27
2nd and 2 at TEX 44 Cody Johnson rush for 6 yards to the 50 yard line for a 1ST down.
1st and 10 at TEX 50 Cody Johnson rush for 3 yards to the Wyom 47.
2nd and 7 at WYO 47 Cody Johnson rush for 2 yards to the Wyom 30, WYOMING penalty 15 yard Personal Foul accepted for a 1ST down.
1st and 10 at TEX 50 Garrett Gilbert pass incomplete.*
2nd and 10 at WYO 30 Garrett Gilbert pass complete to Foswhitt Whittaker for 4 yards to the Wyom 26.
3rd and 6 at WYO 26 Garrett Gilbert pass complete to Mike Davis for 6 yards to the Wyom 20 for a 1ST down.
1st and 10 at WYO 20 Cody Johnson rush for 4 yards to the Wyom 16.
2nd and 6 at WYO 16 Cody Johnson rush for 15 yards to the Wyom 1 for a 1ST down.
1st and Goal at WYO 1 Cody Johnson rush for 1 yard for a TOUCHDOWN. 7 33
Justin Tucker extra point GOOD.

*The first pass was a play-action naked bootleg 40 yard bomb to the end zone that was broken up at the last second. (2 minutes to go, 27-7 lead)

MeMyself&Me
9/14/2010, 09:48 AM
ehhh, it's not *'s job not to score.

But it's good to know they had to struggle a bit harder than one would think to get that margin of victory. :)

sooneron
9/14/2010, 09:53 AM
Meh, it's not like they were bombing it into the end zone, ala Pete Carroll. They were dump off passes to keep the chains moving.

rawlingsHOH
9/14/2010, 09:57 AM
Meh, it's not like they were bombing it into the end zone, ala Pete Carroll. They were dump off passes to keep the chains moving.
|
V

*The first pass was a play-action naked bootleg 40 yard bomb to the end zone that was broken up at the last second. (2 minutes to go, 27-7 lead)

TexasLidig8r
9/14/2010, 10:01 AM
Well.. since you brought it up.. from another website...

Let's compare:

Gilbert's 2nd game as a starter trying to get him reps with the 2nd team while installing a new offense.

With:

Stoops, OU, and Bradford in 2008....

Cincy- up 25 Bradford comes in with 11 minutes left.
Baylor- up 25 Bradford comes in with 11 minutes left.
Kansas- up 21 Bradford comes in with 11 minutes left.
KSU- up 23 Bradford comes in with 8 minutes left.
Neb.- up 35 Bradford comes in with 17 minutes left.
Tech- up 44 Bradford comes in with 14 minutes left.
Mizz- up 34 Bradford comes in with 4 minutes left.

sooneron
9/14/2010, 10:05 AM
|
V

Maybe they were crowding the LOS. :D

Soonerwake
9/14/2010, 10:09 AM
I was gonna say something about glass houses, but the horn beat me to it. We play starters late into games alot, and pass with big leads - Tech in 2008 comes to mind. I know it was an entirely different situation, but still.....

Of course, Texas sucks!!! :texan:

Mazeppa
9/14/2010, 10:11 AM

Let's compare:

Gilbert's 2nd game as a starter trying to get him reps with the 2nd team while installing a new offense.

With:

Just wondering, was Bradford throwing bombs into the endzone at the end of those games?

sooner518
9/14/2010, 10:15 AM

Let's compare:

With:

the whole point is, * bitched about it to no end in 2008. the OP is merely pointing out the hypocrisy. and i guess the fact that GG threw a bomb in the final 2 minutes. i dont personally care, just as I didnt care when OU scored in 2008.

how many 4th quarter points did we score in 2008? how many did * score in 2008?

MeMyself&Me
9/14/2010, 10:17 AM
Just wondering, was Bradford throwing bombs into the endzone at the end of those games?

I seem to remember him throwing late in the Mizzo game but then again, that was during that time when the BCS was really close and OU needed the style points. Now I do wonder what style points you earn by needless late scores.

I do think it's a bit silly to be taking issue with the 'classy' aspect of this. The reason I don't like it is the risk to the starters but if Texas wants to do it, more power to 'em.

If you want to take issue with the classy aspect of the horns, explore the whole deal with them cheering Bradford's injury...

rawlingsHOH
9/14/2010, 10:18 AM
I was gonna say something about glass houses, but the horn beat me to it. We play starters late into games alot, and pass with big leads - Tech in 2008 comes to mind. I know it was an entirely different situation, but still.....

Of course, Texas sucks!!! :texan:
Not really. The offense usually goes into a cocoon and rarely throws deep with big leads, late. The only instance I can recall is the 2008 Big 12 title game, and with good reason.

olevetonahill
9/14/2010, 10:19 AM
Does anyone else see the humor in lids post?
That whorn sure does know alot about OU football, or hes just making shat up .:rolleyes:

Sooner04
9/14/2010, 10:20 AM
A big, heaping bowl of "meh" on these topics.

Score. Score lots of points. Their college is paid for. They're big boys, they can handle getting roughed up.

BTW - is Whittaker's real name actually Foswhitt? Holy cow, that's terrible!

rawlingsHOH

Those all seem completely appropriate with the exception of the last one. But that was simply to stick it to you mother f---ers!

sooneron
That whorn sure does know alot about OU football, or hes just making shat up .:rolleyes:

No ****. Obsess much? I bet he's been sitting on that one for almost 2 years now!:rolleyes:

olevetonahill
9/14/2010, 10:23 AM
No ****. Obsess much? I bet he's been sitting on that one for almost 2 years now!:rolleyes:

As much as he acts like knows about OU , and as much time as he spends here, Im beginning to wonder if he aint really a Closet Sooner:eek:

Soonerwake
9/14/2010, 10:26 AM
A big, heaping bowl of "meh" on these topics.

Score. Score lots of points. Their college is paid for. They're big boys, they can handle getting roughed up.

I was trying to say something similar, just didn't.. :D

We leave guys in and score late, as does *, Bama, tOSU, etc...

Heck, I wanted to score 80 on the Cult a few years ago.

Jello Biafra
9/14/2010, 10:32 AM

Let's compare:

With:

curious...who did we honor with a moment of silence in those 7 games?

delhalew
9/14/2010, 10:44 AM
Always play to score. You don't practice all week to teach your guys to lay down in an effort to protect someone's feelings.

Okie35
9/14/2010, 10:54 AM
They're just warming up for that Tech loss. Thats all.

Spritekid
9/14/2010, 11:15 AM
Always play to score. You don't practice all week to teach your guys to lay down in an effort to protect someone's feelings.

If that is the case why did we lay down with 2 minutes left in the game on the 10 yard line in the Utah State Game. I don't agree with racking up the score on your opponent if you don't have to. It saves on unnecessary injuries!

MeMyself&Me
9/14/2010, 11:44 AM

Naaah, whorens are getting more aggy-like all the time (knows more about OU than their own damned team).

DenverSooner751
9/14/2010, 11:49 AM
But this was just a classy move....because after all, Texas is the University of the first class.....nothing but the most classy moves at all times....didn't you guys know this already?!?!

A lot of coaches have said this, some more famously than others......."If the other team doesn't like it....then they should stop us."

That's how I feel too, but love it when Whorn has to defend a position they so frequently attack.

TexasLidig8r
9/14/2010, 11:52 AM

Vet, when I know you're going to be reading one of my posts, I try to type very slowly and use mono-syllabic words to better help you attempt to understand.. but obviously in this case, it didn't work.

At the start of the post, I stated, ". . . Well.. since you brought it up.. from another website..."

Now dammit, lay off the moonshine and try to keep up! :D

SoonerJack
9/14/2010, 11:55 AM
Truth: I loved it when Bradford threw bombs into the endzone.

Truth: Texas bites

Bourbon St Sooner
9/14/2010, 12:01 PM

Let's compare:

With:

Impressive research on OU football there counselor. To whom did you bill those hours?

Bourbon St Sooner
9/14/2010, 12:03 PM
To me, I don't fault Brown at all. He has a young qb and if I had a young qb I would want to get him as many meaningful snaps as I could during a live game.

And as a certain pirate once said, "It's not my job to stop my team."

goingoneight
9/14/2010, 12:09 PM
I agree with the sentiments that you play to execute, score, make a stop, whatever it takes til the clock runs out. I just think that sometimes when the game is in the bag, it's ridiculous to leave starters is when if you're gonna call endzone shots, you could be working the backups on said plays.

As for the Wyoming/UT game, anybody with a pulse can clearly see Texas is trying to get some extra work in offensively. It's not like they've just been flawless in their execution and Mack can just put the headset down and celebrate an RRS victory just yet.

Example: if you are leading by a few scores that all happened on either big individual efforts and/or defensively/ST... I don't see much wrong with leaving the ones out there to give them game experience. Bob does it all the time, as does anybody else I can think of. The only time I remember Mack running it up was 70-3 with Vince still in. And VY was pushing for a Heisman much like Sam was against Mizzou.

GrapevineSooner
9/14/2010, 12:16 PM
Impressive research on OU football there counselor. To whom did you bill those hours?

That's voluminous amounts of discovery.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/14/2010, 12:20 PM
Well at least we know Lid has all of our games on video. I knew he was a closet Sooner.

oudavid1
9/14/2010, 12:21 PM
Ok, let me it this way TEXAS. NO ONE ON ANY OF THE TEAMS WE PLAYED DIED THAT WEEK.

When something like that happens a team is so unprepared for the game because they are attending services and dealing with emotions. There is no way they were nearly as ready for the game as they could have been. 27-7 is a big enough lead, if you want more....fine. But know that it dosnt seem ok with anyone not wearing burnt orange.

BTW, Its not our fault in 08 that we could score more in less time.

Sorry it takes 4 quarters against freakin wyoming to put up what we put up on Florida State in a half.

Whatever.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/14/2010, 12:25 PM

Let's compare:

With:

heh, why don't you go back all the way to 1999, you'll find a similar pattern.

stoops said a long time ago, that he felt younger players responded better in "out of hand" situations if the starting quarterback was in the game. so what you typically find he does is insert a lot of young ones and leave the captains in to steady them.

delhalew
9/14/2010, 12:26 PM
If that is the case why did we lay down with 2 minutes left in the game on the 10 yard line in the Utah State Game. I don't agree with racking up the score on your opponent if you don't have to. It saves on unnecessary injuries!

I didn't say we weren't guilty of this. It makes me sick every time we lay down.
If you are 40 points ahead you need to have your Z team in the game, but they better be giving their all. The coaches need to be making the kind of go for the throat plays that will train these young players for the action they will see as starters.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/14/2010, 12:32 PM

Did you see the way Landry was playing that night? I don't think we laid down because we were being merciful.

fwsooner22
9/14/2010, 12:33 PM

Let's compare:

With:

Yup.....and you burned up a keyboard pointing it out.............NOW it's suddenly OK........which side counselor.........which side ? :P

TexasLidig8r
9/14/2010, 12:47 PM

For the 2nd time, . . . I will type this slowly with the hope you will understand it. (see, look at all those words with just "one sound like thing in it")

It was taken from another website. :rolleyes:

I'm trying to dumb it down as much as possible so more people on here will understand but I see a lot still soars over heads.

Comparable to the mouthbreathers who repeatedly say.... 'Shoot.. I has the right to say "Home of the Sooners" all I want and I don't care wut Stoops, or the AD or God or anyone says about it.. or how much of a choad it make me look liek.. I'm a gonna keep on sayin' it cuz.. well... just cuz."

TexasLidig8r
9/14/2010, 12:52 PM
Yup.....and you burned up a keyboard pointing it out.............NOW it's suddenly OK........which side counselor.........which side ? :P

ah.. a legitimate question.

Major college football isn't YMCA flag football or your local Catholic school league. You have a chance to score, take it. You want to keep trying to improve your team by having them run plays designed to score.

Was it the USC/UCLA game last year? USC had the lead and the ball in the last minute of the game. They take a knee. UCLA and Skippy calls a time out. Next play, USC throws the ball long and scores a touchdown. I don't have a problem with that at all.

But, if you have your starters in toward the end of the game during a blowout and someone gets hurt, don't whine or bitch. Also, if your players the next year don't have as much experience.. don't whine or bitch because they didn't get as many reps in as they should have.

XingTheRubicon
9/14/2010, 01:02 PM
FWIW, I am a play your offense to the gun and if you score, so be it kind of guy.

However, horns bitched and moaned for the entire 2008 season concerning OU running it up (in the 3rd quarter, no less) "Mack would never do that." was a common quote.

My point here is that you probably have to have watched it live to get the gist of what happened and how. Wyoming turns it over on downs with a few minutes left in the 4th quarter.

Texas runs it up the middle once.
Texas runs it up the middle again.
(averaging 5 yards per rush)
The announcers talk about the fallen linebacker...
The equipment managers are picking up towels and paper cups...
Then, Texas fakes the hand off up the middle
naked bootleg
bomb into the endzone

Doesn't really bother me, personally. But if any horn mentions OU "piling it on" they're a POS hypocrite. Which, being a horn fan, they already are a POS hypocrite so it all works out.

MiccoMacey
9/14/2010, 01:05 PM
Vet, when I know you're going to be reading one of my posts, I try to type very slowly and use mono-syllabic words to better help you attempt to understand.. but obviously in this case, it didn't work.

At the start of the post, I stated, ". . . Well.. since you brought it up.. from another website..."

Not sure how you dumb things down when you use the word mono-syllabic in the sentence.

And all those commas. Lots of confusing, direction-changing commas. Oh, and all those dot dot dots at the end of a sentence.

Color me lost without a compass. :D

TexasLidig8r
9/14/2010, 01:19 PM
Not sure how you dumb things down when you use the word mono-syllabic in the sentence.

And all those commas. Lots of confusing, direction-changing commas. Oh, and all those dot dot dots at the end of a sentence.

Color me lost without a compass. :D

CRAP.. I knew I should have used coloring book.... ,,,, ....

Partial Qualifier
9/14/2010, 01:23 PM
With:

Apples, meet Oranges.

At no time in Stoops' career here have we struggled with scoring against a far inferior opponent, and punched in last-minute TDs to pad the score. Mack's made a career out of doing so vs. weak non-conference opponents. This is nothing new.

Look THAT up on your other website.

yankee
9/14/2010, 01:25 PM
i hate the whorns just as much as the next guy, but c'mon...this is REALLY reaching. just let it go, maybe we'll get to run the score up on 'em in a few weeks.

Salt City Sooner
9/14/2010, 01:34 PM

Let's compare:

With:

& yet, somehow, someway, UT managed to score more points in the 2nd half of games that year than OU did, even with OU having an extra game to do so:

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2008-2009/teamcume.html

http://www.texassports.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2008-2009/teamcume.html

Care to try again, or do you think you've failed enough?

47straight
9/14/2010, 03:16 PM
& yet, somehow, someway, UT managed to score more points in the 2nd half of games that year than OU did, even with OU having an extra game to do so:

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2008-2009/teamcume.html

http://www.texassports.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2008-2009/teamcume.html

Care to try again, or do you think you've failed enough?

In addition, Colt had many more 4th quarter minutes than Bradford.

olevetonahill
9/14/2010, 04:19 PM

Lid, you poor Bevo shat eater.

You are the one who has missed the point ( as is frequently the case). I merely pointed out you're knowledge of OU football.
Quite frankly i could not care less "WHERE" you're information comes from .

Now get back to hassling little old women for debts they dont owe.

TexasLidig8r
9/14/2010, 04:27 PM
Lid, you poor Bevo shat eater.

You are the one who has missed the point ( as is frequently the case). I merely pointed out you're knowledge of OU football.
Quite frankly i could not care less "WHERE" you're information comes from .

Now get back to hassling little old women for debts they dont owe.

I have knowledge of a lot of college football.

And no no no.. once again Vet.. I defend those poor, helpless third party debt collectors who are hassled by consumer rights attorneys and who are subject to shake down lawsuits.

Even got some attributed quotes and publicity in the most recent D CEO Magazine.

Now.. stay off that moonshine or send some down to me.

olevetonahill
9/14/2010, 04:30 PM
I have knowledge of a lot of college football.

And no no no.. once again Vet.. I defend those poor, helpless third party debt collectors who are hassled by consumer rights attorneys and who are subject to shake down lawsuits.

Even got some attributed quotes and publicity in the most recent D CEO Magazine.

Now.. stay off that moonshine or send some down to me.

Only if i could set fire to it as it goes down yer whorn throat :D

XingTheRubicon
9/14/2010, 04:38 PM
by soonerfan & yet, somehow, someway, UT managed to score more points in the 2nd half of games that year than OU did, even with OU having an extra game to do so:

by soonerfan In addition, Colt had many more 4th quarter minutes than Bradford.

by hornfan I was in a 2,000 copy circulation city magazine

awesome

CBUS_SOONER
9/14/2010, 06:15 PM

Let's compare:

With:

What team cheered when Bradford got hurt???? I really don't see a problem with it... Attempting to gain some valuable experience...

sooneron
9/14/2010, 09:11 PM
This is what happens when whorns run up the score...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/93/Partial_stadium_collapse_at_Big12_college_football _championship_-_2005.JPG

sooneron
9/14/2010, 09:12 PM
wow, that's bigger than I thought.

olevetonahill
9/14/2010, 09:34 PM
What the hell is it ?

Crucifax Autumn
9/14/2010, 09:50 PM
Morons falling out of the stands.

colinreturn
9/14/2010, 10:06 PM
i hate these types of threads.

CrimsonJim
9/14/2010, 10:10 PM

That's what she said. :cool:

picasso
9/14/2010, 10:20 PM
My only problem is this is the same Texas that cried about us running up the score in '08 and then again before last season.
Whiney little bitches.

oudavid1
9/14/2010, 10:39 PM

too easy. Please remove the picture though. Like really. Please !!!

CrimsonJim
9/14/2010, 11:35 PM
too easy. Please remove the picture though. Like really. Please !!!

YOU, complaining about an over sized picture (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2951538&postcount=317)? :pop:

MeMyself&Me
9/15/2010, 06:42 AM
My only problem is this is the same Texas that cried about us running up the score in '08 and then again before last season.
Whiney little bitches.

Yeah, I understand that sentiment. I never did understand the shortwhorens cry of 'running up the score' in '08 when they scored much more points in the fourth quarter than OU did. They cried about it so much that even aTm fans I knew were eating it up. :O

oudavid1
9/15/2010, 10:10 AM
YOU, complaining about an over sized picture (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2951538&postcount=317)? :pop:

ok but mines not that big ;)

sooneron
9/15/2010, 10:13 AM

Yet mine is funny.

oudavid1
9/15/2010, 10:19 AM
Yet mine is funny.

wow you are just trying to make me cry today

Spritekid
9/15/2010, 01:41 PM
Did you see the way Landry was playing that night? I don't think we laid down because we were being merciful.

Good Point!!!

sooneron
9/15/2010, 01:43 PM
wow you are just trying to make me cry today

:confused:

:rolleyes:

Spritekid
9/15/2010, 01:44 PM

That's what we hear!

CrimsonJim
9/20/2010, 05:38 AM

That's what she said! ;)

King Barry's Back
9/20/2010, 09:24 AM
I didn't say we weren't guilty of this. It makes me sick every time we lay down.
If you are 40 points ahead you need to have your Z team in the game, but they better be giving their all. The coaches need to be making the kind of go for the throat plays that will train these young players for the action they will see as starters.

There's a big difference between playing hard when you have a big lead, and trying to score with a big lead on the last snap or two of the game.

If you are up by 20 pts, with 55 seconds left, you have the ball and the opponent has no time outs, snap the ball. Take the knee.

End of story. Even if nobody died, but especially if somebody died.