PDA

View Full Version : Air Force fans/students/service people think they are going to win...

OU_Sooners75
9/13/2010, 02:23 PM
at the Air Force board, in their prediction thread, they have all but 2 in that thread that are Falcon Fans, think they will beat OU....LMFAO

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=238&f=1553&t=6363330

NormanPride
9/13/2010, 02:29 PM
Yeah, Utah State thought the same thing. We're a young team and anything is possible.

jumperstop
9/13/2010, 02:31 PM
Anything is possible, and you can't really expect them to pick against their team and be logical can you?

C&CDean
9/13/2010, 02:54 PM
They ain't a bad team. They are quite capable of beating us if we come out like we did against USU.

OU_Sooners75
9/13/2010, 03:01 PM
They ain't a bad team. They are quite capable of beating us if we come out like we did against USU.

Well, hell dean anyone is capable of beating us if we play another game like that.

But after watching the Falcons demantle BYU the way they did, I highly doubt we will get relaxed if we jump up early like we did against USU.

At least I hope we dont.

And Jumstop, yes, there are usually some logical fans...but they act like they will be seeing the same defense as we played against USU and the same offense we played in that game. :eek:

SunnySooner
9/13/2010, 03:19 PM
Methodology

After the game, the final scores are entered into the spreadsheet, and your predicted scores are compared to the actual final scores to calculate a "Total Point Error" value (TPE). If the team you picked to win actually lost the game, your entry is disqualified (with the sole exception being where no entries chose the winning team). If you picked the correct winning team, your score is then calculated. If you guessed Air Force at 31 points, and they actually scored 28, the error value is 3. It doesn't matter if you are long or short, the error value is always a positive number. The error values of both teams' scores are combined to reach the TPE. Whoever has the lowest TPE is designated as the Winner.

Reminder from the Moderator

Please keep this as a prediction thread with your score in the subject line (with a comment to discuss your point of view if you want). Each reply should be with a prediction/score or not be posted. Replies that are not predictions will be deleted.

Wow, they are hard core over there. I'd need a 3 hour class on that "methodology" thingy. None of us would last 5 minutes. Let's all sign up and see who gets BAINED the fastest, my money's on JM, Howzit, or one of those other liberal types with absolutely no respect for authority.:D :D :D :D

BillyBall
9/13/2010, 03:24 PM
Wow, they are hard core over there. I'd need a 3 hour class on that "methodology" thingy. None of us would last 5 minutes. Let's all sign up and see who gets BAINED the fastest, my money's on JM, Howzit, or one of those other liberal types with absolutely no respect for authority.:D :D :D :D

Yeah, they probably don't have too many threads that discuss butt plugs.

SunnySooner
9/13/2010, 03:27 PM
Yeah, they probably don't have too many threads that discuss butt plugs.

No ****, courts-martial are teh suc.

Soonermagik
9/13/2010, 03:29 PM
So did FSU fans!!

Bourbon St Sooner
9/13/2010, 03:57 PM
What? Their own fans think they are going to win? Shocking!

Okie35
9/13/2010, 04:03 PM
What? Their own fans think they are going to win? Shocking!

This...

CBUS_SOONER
9/13/2010, 04:13 PM

Amen

crawfish
9/13/2010, 04:15 PM
I'm just glad we don't have to beat 'em on 9/11...

GKeeper316
9/13/2010, 04:18 PM
triple options run by disciplined teams (military academy) are the hardest offenses to scheme and prepare for...

since the non conference schedule was announced, this has been the game that just screams "trap" to me.

Leroy Lizard
9/13/2010, 04:20 PM
If we play like we did against USU, they will not only beat us but they will beat us soundly.

How focused is the team right now on the upcoming game? I am sure they are very focused. But that might not be enough.

I think we'll win, but I would be shocked if we are not biting nails in the fourth quarter.

stoopified
9/13/2010, 04:29 PM
Well AFA did beat BYU,on the other hand they didn't lose their Heisman winning QB early in the game.

OUster
9/13/2010, 04:49 PM
triple options run by disciplined teams (military academy) are the hardest offenses to scheme and prepare for...

since the non conference schedule was announced, this has been the game that just screams "trap" to me.

Not to disagree here Sooner brother, but I don't think Stoops has had much trouble stopping the triple option. Nebraska 2000, AFA 2001 comes to mind. We lost to Nebraska in 2001, but I think it was the halfback pass to Crouch that killed us that day. Either way, I'll put my money on a disciplined, more talented, defense (OU) every time.

BoulderSooner79
9/13/2010, 04:50 PM
I would be shocked if AFA does not present significantly more challenge than FSU (of course, that's not saying much). Their D will attack more and tackle better. We need to be disciplined and take advantage of the skill mis-matches.

Leroy Lizard
9/13/2010, 05:01 PM
Not to disagree here Sooner brother, but I don't think Stoops has had much trouble stopping the triple option. Nebraska 2000, AFA 2001 comes to mind. We lost to Nebraska in 2001, but I think it was the halfback pass to Crouch that killed us that day. Either way, I'll put my money on a disciplined, more talented, defense (OU) every time.

How is our secondary at run support? That is more important than any results from 2001 (when we didn't even have the same defensive coordinator).

mightysooner
9/13/2010, 05:23 PM
"Remember, it may be cool, but our guys are running around in air that is about 25% less prevalent than in Norman. They may only need to inhale twice or three times a quarter at sea level."

I like the stupidity of this quote. I hope it's hot and miserably humid on Saturday. We'll be seeing those highlanders puking their guts up and cramping all over the field. By all means Air Force, inhale two or three times a quarter in Norman.

BoulderSooner79
9/13/2010, 05:32 PM
"Remember, it may be cool, but our guys are running around in air that is about 25% less prevalent than in Norman. They may only need to inhale twice or three times a quarter at sea level."

I like the stupidity of this quote. I hope it's hot and miserably humid on Saturday. We'll be seeing those highlanders puking their guts up and cramping all over the field. By all means Air Force, inhale two or three times a quarter in Norman.

I'm going to take that comment as tongue in cheek from the AFA guy. As someone who has exercised at altitude in Colorado, going from the dry climate in CO, to humidity just kills me. Much worse than going from sea level into thin air. I went to Austin to do the Lance Armstrong 100 mile bike ride "Ride for the Roses" event 1 year and thought I would die (85% humidity). I was in great shape at the time and 100 miles was no big deal for me at altitude.

mightysooner
9/13/2010, 05:38 PM
I'm going to take that comment as tongue in cheek from the AFA guy. As someone who has exercised at altitude in Colorado, going from the dry climate in CO, to humidity just kills me. Much worse than going from sea level into thin air. I went to Austin to do the Lance Armstrong 100 mile bike ride "Ride for the Roses" event 1 year and thought I would die (85% humidity). I was in great shape at the time and 100 miles was no big deal for me at altitude.

Tell me about it! It sucks the will to live right out of you. I've spent lots of time in CO as well at altitude. Going from thin dry air to heavy air with high humidity and heat is just as bad as the inverse situation. It'll be to our advantage, not theirs.

sendbaht
9/13/2010, 06:37 PM
Some funny posts on their board. Honsesty and some wishing, I enjoyed reading it, thanks for posting.

SoonerStormchaser
9/13/2010, 06:51 PM
Remember guys, these are a bunch of disciplined guys (who won't resort to thuggery and cheap shots the way other teams like to)...who will also be in the skies above you defending your asses in a few short years.

yankee
9/13/2010, 06:59 PM
...who will also be in the skies above you defending your asses in a few short years.

that's all nice and dandy, but that doesn't mean they have a chance in this game. which they don't. not being a thug can only get you so far. they might hang around for a quarter or so, but in the end our superior athleticism (along with other factors) is going to win out. this one probably won't be close in the end.

DenverSooner751
9/13/2010, 07:49 PM

Agree.

It's like a heavy weight hitting your chest and no matter how hard you breath you just can't seem to get your chest all the way out on inhale.....

None the less, if it's not a very humid day, then the high altitude conditioning does certainly have advantages, however, it can not make up for a gap in talent and I believe that is what we have in this game.

bri
9/13/2010, 07:56 PM
Oh noes, a triple option team! Where will we ever find game tape to help us prepare for the triple option at Oklahoma of all places? WE'RE SO F*CKED, YOU GUYS!

:D

bluedogok
9/13/2010, 08:07 PM
...and why we consider moving up there. When we came back from there after a trip up at the end of June it was amazing how oppressive it was as soon as we walked out the doors at the Austin airport....and it was midnight.

delhalew
9/13/2010, 09:39 PM
For ****s and giggles, I asked Mike Leach today "after getting used to having to defend against your airraid style of offense and the rest of these spread chuck 'ems we see these days, how well do you think we adapting to a triple option, the likes of which we rarely see anymore, with the secondary we have now?"
Leach: "Well, the entire coaching staff with drive themselves and everyone else crazy obsessing and worrying about it. Call in experts(my first thought was The King is prolly in a booth at Othellos), and in the end talent and preparation will solve the issue. The funny thing is they run the same spread it out philosophy I did, only on the ground rather than through the air. They want the ball in everybodies hands. With the team OU has this year they should be fine."
Me: "Thank you, Coach. That's just the kind of validation I was looking for."

BTW, Leach has some funny stories about sitting at Othelos with The King:D

Leroy Lizard
9/14/2010, 01:19 AM
Oh noes, a triple option team! Where will we ever find game tape to help us prepare for the triple option at Oklahoma of all places? WE'RE SO F*CKED, YOU GUYS!

:D

All teams have plenty of game tape. And it isn't like defending the wishbone is some grand secret. It's the lack of experience that kills you.

Leroy Lizard
9/14/2010, 01:26 AM
For ****s and giggles, I asked Mike Leach today "after getting used to having to defend against your airraid style of offense and the rest of these spread chuck 'ems we see these days, how well do you think we adapting to a triple option, the likes of which we rarely see anymore, with the secondary we have now?"
Leach: "Well, the entire coaching staff with drive themselves and everyone else crazy obsessing and worrying about it. Call in experts(my first thought was The King is prolly in a booth at Othellos), and in the end talent and preparation will solve the issue. The funny thing is they run the same spread it out philosophy I did, only on the ground rather than through the air. They want the ball in everybodies hands. With the team OU has this year they should be fine."

Which team? The one that shut down a quality drop-back passer on a top-20 team, or the one that had trouble with a slippery QB on a creampuff?

TexasEx4OU
9/14/2010, 05:33 AM
We lost to Nebraska in 2001, but I think it was Jason White blowing out his knee that killed us that day.

Fixed.

OUTrumpet
9/14/2010, 06:00 AM

West Virginia ripped us a new one. I still remember watching their fat fullback pull away on like a 40 yard run.

Crucifax Autumn
9/14/2010, 07:55 AM
And they can still suck my balls. Glad to see them sucking since.

SunnySooner
9/14/2010, 08:08 AM
I'm still pretty peeved at Granger for that one, too, the dumas.

Mississippi Sooner
9/14/2010, 08:10 AM

I always knew there was a good reason I didn't want to join the Air Force.

Dang y'all, it's a message board. Stand at ease. Smoke em if you got em.

Crucifax Autumn
9/14/2010, 08:10 AM
shhhhhhh....Leroy might run with it!

Jello Biafra
9/14/2010, 08:59 AM
the reason you RARELY see an option team these days? because most defenses are athletic enough to stop it. period. are we as athletic? yeh id say so....will we make them one dimensional by the first quarter? bet your asss cheeks.

MeMyself&Me
9/14/2010, 09:16 AM
the reason you RARELY see an option team these days? because most defenses are athletic enough to stop it. period.

That assumes that the offensive players didn't get didn't get more athletic too. The reason we don't see more option teams these days is that the premium offensive recruits are smart enough not to go to schools that rely on an option scheme because it doesn't prepare them for the next level.

The service academies aren't going to get these players anyway and run option very well for the personnel they do have. But yeah, OU has WAY better athletes than AF and that will be the reason OU will shut down the option.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
9/14/2010, 09:25 AM
We lost to Nebraska in 2001, but I think it was the halfback pass to Crouch that killed us that day.

Also, Jason White fell down when the Sooners were running the same play. If he keeps his feet he would have scored and we win.

Or was that the play where his knee went?

rawlingsHOH
9/14/2010, 09:28 AM
Also, Jason White fell down when the Sooners were running the same play. If he keeps his feet he would have scored and we win.

Hybl. The play was gameplanned for White being in the game, but he was already gone with injury.

rawlingsHOH
9/14/2010, 09:34 AM
That assumes that the offensive players didn't get didn't get more athletic too. The reason we don't see more option teams these days is that the premium offensive recruits are smart enough not to go to schools that rely on an option scheme because it doesn't prepare them for the next level.

The service academies aren't going to get these players anyway and run option very well for the personnel they do have. But yeah, OU has WAY better athletes than AF and that will be the reason OU will shut down the option.

It is also simply harder to stop (slow down) a good spread offense than an option offense, and rules now favor passing attacks.

MeMyself&Me
9/14/2010, 09:37 AM
It is also simply harder to stop (slow down) a good spread offense than an option offense, and rules now favor passing attacks.

I'll agree with that part.

I think part of the reason spread is so good now is that kids are already pretty familiar with it since it's common in high school now. When I played high school, I don't remember ever seeing a spread offense. When I go watch high school football now, I see it all the time.

Option is a sound scheme. Just needs the right players to execute it.

delhalew
9/14/2010, 11:01 AM
I hope our crowd will make an exception, and give Air Force a standing ovation when they take the field. Once the game starts make it impossible for them to hear themselves.

Sooner04
9/14/2010, 11:13 AM

It was Hybl, and he slipped while adjusting to a woeful throw from Clayton.

What everyone forgets is that Hybl completed a long pass to Trent Smith on the next play that set us up with 1st and Goal from the 2. With the O-line of 2001 leading the way, though, I'll let you guess how that drive finished.

MojoRisen
9/14/2010, 11:29 AM
Remember guys, these are a bunch of disciplined guys (who won't resort to thuggery and cheap shots the way other teams like to)...who will also be in the skies above you defending your asses in a few short years.

I am sure we are going to get a hefty dose of Chop blocks.

SoonerJack
9/14/2010, 12:00 PM

See Missouri vs Navy last year in whatever bowl game that was. lol

All the MU fans just knew they were going to roll the midshipmen and they got their tiger-striped panties handed to them by a triple option military academy team.

With that said, let's send these blue fly-boys back to Colorado Springs with a sharp reminder of the pain that can be inflicted by playing the Sooners.

PalmBeachSooner
9/14/2010, 01:09 PM
This should be a great opportunity for R. Lewis to bust some heads if he plays DE. Even if the QB pitches the ball he is still going to get popped.

MeMyself&Me
9/14/2010, 01:35 PM
I think if he's playn' DE, he knocks a qb out of the game at some point... maybe this is the game.

That's not meant to be taken that I wish someone gets hurt. Just that I have this image of R Lewis T-ing off on a qb and the result isn't pretty.