PDA

View Full Version : Eternal Pimp, I have a question about Ronnell and how we are using him.

adoniijahsooner
9/13/2010, 01:46 PM
Do you think we are wasting his talent trying to play him at DE? Just read this article saying he may be there permanently.

NORMAN — The Air Force Academy will enter Saturday's game at Oklahoma leading the nation in rushing.

But that doesn't mean Ronnell Lewis will return to strongside linebacker this week.

Instead, it appears "The Hammer" will remain a defensive end for this game, this season and probably the rest of his Sooner career.

Thanks to the influx of pass-first offenses on OU's schedule, the Sooners' base defense essentially has gone from the 4-3 to the nickel. In other words, the strongside linebacker (Lewis) has been replaced with a third safety, in OU's case, true freshman Tony Jefferson.

OU figures to remain in the nickel the majority of the time this season, including against a run-first offense like Air Force, which operates its triple-option attack out of spread formations.

Lewis is still making an impact, despite being relegated to kick coverage guru and spot defensive end.

Against Florida State, he had five tackles, including one for loss. On one kick return, The Hammer leveled Lamarcus Joyner from the right side, a hit that took Joyner several seconds to get up from.

The week before against Utah State, Lewis had three tackles, a sack and a fumble recovery.

But because the Sooners have been almost exclusively in the nickel, Lewis has had to make those plays on special teams and at defensive end, not linebacker.

Don't count on that changing.

Defensive coordinator Brent Venables indicated over the weekend that against offensive sets with three or more wide receivers, Jefferson would continue to be on the field. And against formations with only two receivers, backup nickelback Joe Ibiloye would continue to come in for Jefferson.

Meaning, the only time OU won't be in the nickel this season will be against teams that use multiple tight ends and run the ball between the tackles.

Stanford did that in the Sun Bowl, and Lewis played a prominent role at outside linebacker to help stuff the run.

But no one left on OU's schedule fits the Stanford profile.

And because the forte of the 250-pound Hammer isn't dropping back in pass coverage, Lewis figures to continue seeing the majority of his snaps at defensive end.

The unfortunate news for Lewis is that end is currently a crowded position, featuring blue-chip starters Jeremy Beal and Frank Alexander, and a host of capable reserves in David King, Pryce Macon and R.J. Washington.

But the good news is that the coaching staff had the foresight to realize Lewis wasn't going to be on the field very often manning strongside linebacker, a position the Sooners weren't going to use regularly. And that by moving him to end, Lewis would get to play in spots this year, and eventually have the chance to earn a starting role there next season.

"He's still learning," OU coach Bob Stoops said last week. "But he's getting it more and more. We feel the more he plays, the more comfortable he's going to be there."

So for now, Lewis will continue to learn defensive end, a position he's never played before this season, but one suited to his tremendous skill set.

He'll continue to go after the quarterback from end on third-down passing situations, and be available to man strongside linebacker when the Sooners do go to the 4-3. He won't be on the field for every defensive play this season. Probably most defensive plays.

But be patient. Soon, perhaps by next season, Lewis will be laying the hammer from his new position full-time.

Read more: http://newsok.com/ronnell-lewis-likely-to-remain-at-defensive-end/article/3494416?custom_click=lead_story_title#ixzz0zR8rB51 q

adoniijahsooner
9/13/2010, 01:57 PM
Sorry, didnt see that someone already created a thread about this.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/13/2010, 01:58 PM
I don't think of it as a waste of talent for what they do at OU, because guys his size play DE here...Its just the way it is..I was just hoping they would keep him at LB for his future...I like big strong LB's who can chuck a FB, and deliver a tackle, guys like Curtis Lofton..

Are they putting him at DE because they want him on the field now and he doesn't know the coverages? Or is it possible that he can cover? Or are they putting him at DE but plan on teaching him how to cover?

DE is such a deep position always at OU and I would love to see the guy making plays standing up delivering big hits from that SLB spot. I think the guy could be a NFL LB, and he still would be moved to OLB in a 3-4 like was talked about in another thread..just keeping him at LB would put him ahead of the curb of learning a new position

adoniijahsooner
9/13/2010, 02:01 PM
I don't think of it as a waste of talent for what they do at OU, because guys his size play DE here...Its just the way it is..I was just hoping they would keep him at LB for his future...I like big strong LB's who can chuck a FB, and deliver a tackle, guys like Curtis Lofton..

Are they putting him at DE because they want him on the field now and he doesn't know the coverages? Or is it possible that he can cover? Or are they putting him at DE but plan on teaching him how to cover?

DE is such a deep position always at OU and I would love to see the guy making plays standing up delivering big hits from that SLB spot. I think the guy could be a NFL LB, and he still would be moved to OLB in a 3-4 like was talked about in another thread..just keeping him at LB would put him ahead of the curb of learning a new position

Thanks...I was thinking the same thing. Why not MLB though? Wort is 20lbs lighter, and erratic; so why not stick Ronnell there, and put wort or Jefferson on the outside?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/13/2010, 02:03 PM
I assume its because they think Wort can be the future quarterback of this defense and probably because even though he made some errors Saturday, he has the coverages down a lot better

adoniijahsooner
9/13/2010, 02:05 PM
Thanks...

primetime43
9/13/2010, 02:11 PM
I don't really don't like him at DE but it seems that is the only spot he can get PT. He looks like a classic downhill Lb not a speed rusher. I was watching the Cowboys/Skins last night and I noticed the Hammer looks a lot like Bradie James. Seem to have similar body types or maybe its because they both wear #56??

Sam.England
9/13/2010, 02:11 PM
There must be more to it than just moving him to the position... I think Saturday will be a testing day for if the move to DE is for the season! Its Air force, we all know they will run 85% of the time, so surely be going to a 4-3 base over the nickle?

I they keep him at DE I dont see him playing much more LB at all! Must be something to do with the coverages...

Howzit
9/13/2010, 02:20 PM
...I like big strong LB's who can chuck a FB, and deliver a tackle, guys like Curtis Lofton..

Hardly earth shattering news.

NormanPride
9/13/2010, 02:21 PM
Well, they run the ball a lot but it's out of the spread.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/13/2010, 02:34 PM
Hardly earth shattering news.

:D I loathe you

stoops the eternal pimp
9/13/2010, 02:35 PM
They have a lot of formations...its not that old flexbone they ran under Fisher DeBerry...They can line up a few different ways to run it

stoops the eternal pimp
9/13/2010, 02:36 PM
I don't really don't like him at DE but it seems that is the only spot he can get PT. He looks like a classic downhill Lb not a speed rusher. I was watching the Cowboys/Skins last night and I noticed the Hammer looks a lot like Bradie James. Seem to have similar body types or maybe its because they both wear #56??

I can see that comparison for sure..

rawlingsHOH
9/13/2010, 02:40 PM
He's a 4-2 rush end, a 3-3 stand-up spinner.

He's got the protypical NFL 3-4 OLB body, but those guys are DEs in the Stoops D.

Maybe he moves to one of the ILB spots if T. Lewis goes pro next year or if the Wort experience is a failure. Who knows?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/13/2010, 02:45 PM
He's got the protypical NFL 3-4 OLB body, but those guys are DEs in the Stoops D.

Maybe he moves to one of the ILB spots if T. Lewis goes pro next year or if the Wort experience is a failure. Who knows?

I hope he gets back out there myself...I would like to see more OU LB'ers in the league and he brings that possibility of being that next Lofton out there..

swardboy
9/13/2010, 02:57 PM
Put him at the manster position....

ouleaf
9/13/2010, 04:30 PM
While I'd like to see Hammer out there more....I'm all for putting Jefferson out on the field. That guy has been awesome so far. Just a matter of time before he gets a pick six. Not sure if they look to move him to FS or CB next year, but I think he has potential to be the best DB we've had since Strait.

I think we'll see a good amount of Hammer highlights in the weeks to come, but they are right, in the ages of spread formations, it makes more sense to have your best cover guys on the field more.

Soonermagik
9/13/2010, 04:49 PM
I'm ready to get negged for this. However, I feel the truth should be told about his situation.

Lewis is one of the best athletes on the team. The problem is he's having a hard time picking up the schemes. I know this, because one of my good friends works on the coaching staff. And no, I won't mention this person's name.

They have worked really hard with him at linebacker, but he's really struggled with some technique and scheme issues. With that said, they really love the guy. They love his speed, his hitting ability and most of all his heart. At DE they can line him up and tell him to get the QB or fall back into simple coverage. In a sense, they can let him be reckless and not have to worry as much with a blown assignment that might cost them a big play. That's the truth, but I'm sure I'm about to get slammed and sent hateful PM's.

stoopified
9/13/2010, 04:56 PM
I trust Wright and Venables .

adoniijahsooner
9/13/2010, 05:58 PM
I'm ready to get negged for this. However, I feel the truth should be told about his situation.

Lewis is one of the best athletes on the team. The problem is he's having a hard time picking up the schemes. I know this, because one of my good friends works on the coaching staff. And no, I won't mention this person's name.

They have worked really hard with him at linebacker, but he's really struggled with some technique and scheme issues. With that said, they really love the guy. They love his speed, his hitting ability and most of all his heart. At DE they can line him up and tell him to get the QB or fall back into simple coverage. In a sense, they can let him be reckless and not have to worry as much with a blown assignment that might cost them a big play. That's the truth, but I'm sure I'm about to get slammed and sent hateful PM's.

I use to argue that BV defenses were too complex, and if someone isnt a braniac, they could be exposed in this defense. I change my tune after seeing this defense last year, and the beginning of this year. However, If you have an athlete that lightly brushes someone on the shoulder and they have to be helped off the field.......YOU MAKE SURE HE IS ALWAYS ON THE FIELD!!:D

Soonermagik
9/13/2010, 06:27 PM
I use to argue that BV defenses were too complex, and if someone isnt a braniac, they could be exposed in this defense. I change my tune after seeing this defense last year, and the beginning of this year. However, If you have an athlete that lightly brushes someone on the shoulder and they have to be helped off the field.......YOU MAKE SURE HE IS ALWAYS ON THE FIELD!!:D

Exactly!!! He's a monster of an athlete and packs one heck of a punch. It's not a slam on him, because it's an extremely difficult defense to understand.

You can see how hard it was for FSU to pick up the new schemes. It takes a long time to learn and master. We can't afford to have Lewis not on the field, because he's a game changer.

stoopified
9/15/2010, 02:24 PM
Bob was asked last nite about THE HAMMER and said Ronnell is talented but he isn't Superman.We(the coaching staff) are playing him in a way to best utilize his talents.

gaylordfan1
9/15/2010, 07:28 PM
There must be more to it than just moving him to the position... I think Saturday will be a testing day for if the move to DE is for the season! Its Air force, we all know they will run 85% of the time, so surely be going to a 4-3 base over the nickle?
I they keep him at DE I dont see him playing much more LB at all! Must be something to do with the coverages...

We won't know until we see the defense on the field, but from all the interviews from Stoops and Coach V they plan on staying in the nickel for AF.

No neg my friend, I've heard the exact same thing. They just want him on the field. They rush him on 1st and 2nd down, and use him as the spinner during third down and obvious passing downs. With Beal leaving next year I think they are giving prepping him to be our next big pass rusher.

ashley
9/15/2010, 07:40 PM
I will thust the coaches with yrs. of experience and that go to practice every day. If you don't go to practice you don't know, you can't know.

StoopTroup
9/15/2010, 08:11 PM
I will thust the coaches with yrs. of experience and that go to practice every day. If you don't go to practice you don't know, you can't know.

Those damn coaches need to make the players practice. What the hell are they thinking? We're doomed I tell ya.

Chiliman
9/15/2010, 10:22 PM
This thread addresses a few reasons why Box was the starter @ MLB. BV's defense is complex, BV prefers his MLB call most of the signals, including lining up the the D-linemen and safeties, and recognize formation, run or pass and excel in coverage. Also, this must be done almost second nature, without hesitating to think.

As much potential as Ronnell and Wort have, I promise you BV would love to have a healthy Box and T Lewis on the field for every snap.

Soonerus
9/15/2010, 10:39 PM
I look for Ronnell to have a big game against Air Force...

goingoneight
9/15/2010, 10:43 PM
He didn't have the luxury of redshirting last year to sit back and learn it all. He was one of OUr go-getters on ST and got some looks defensively down the stretch as they went along. At his age, Austin Box was a little taken back trying to learn MLB. We don't typically play youngsters in the middle unless we have to (2008, 2010).

starclassic tama
9/15/2010, 10:43 PM
This thread addresses a few reasons why Box was the starter @ MLB. BV's defense is complex, BV prefers his MLB call most of the signals, including lining up the the D-linemen and safeties, and recognize formation, run or pass and excel in coverage. Also, this must be done almost second nature, without hesitating to think.

As much potential as Ronnell and Wort have, I promise you BV would love to have a healthy Box and T Lewis on the field for every snap.

when was box ever the starter at middle linebacker? wort has been on top of the depth chart all offseason. venables said box was definitely pushing him, but then his injury shut that door. other than the 2 personal fouls i think wort has played well and i expect him to start the rest of the season.

proudsoonergal
9/15/2010, 11:11 PM
when was box ever the starter at middle linebacker? wort has been on top of the depth chart all offseason. venables said box was definitely pushing him, but then his injury shut that door. other than the 2 personal fouls i think wort has played well and i expect him to start the rest of the season.

He has played well, but has also been out of position several times on pass plays. Learning curve.

rawlingsHOH
9/16/2010, 08:40 AM
In 2008, after Reynolds got hurt, he started thru the Ok State game, where he took a cheap shot to the leg. And again late in 2009, after Reynolds got hurt.

Chiliman
9/16/2010, 06:05 PM

If you believe what Venables tells the media and the "official depth chart" that :texan: is published, I've got some land to sell. Seriously, Venables also has stated that Daniel Franklin was also "in the mix" and not until this year would admit publicly that T Lewis was a definite starter. That same depth chart had Box listed as a backup to R Lewis @ SLB all spring and summer, even though Box ran with the first unit @ MLB in the spring when full team drills were run and only practiced MLB during the spring and summer. How do I know this? I'm very good friends with a grad assistant, who just completed his elgibility. This grad assistant also breaks down practice and game film for the defense and is very familiar with Venables' grading philosophy. Finally, I witnessed the first full scrimmage in fall camp. Box was 1st team MLB until the very end. The last series, Venables sat Beal, Carter, T Lewis and Box.

Austin was going to start. He had gained about 15 pounds since last season and knows the defense inside and out. He was making all the defensive calls in the scrimmage. He also is probably the best cover LB.

Wort will be good but Venables would really like to get Austin back by Texas.