PDA

View Full Version : Stream of thoughts

rawlingsHOH
9/13/2010, 09:00 AM
Notes from FSU game....

- Game plan eerily similar to 07 Miami. Get QB comfy with bubble screens and swing passes and get the defense moving inside out.

- Mark Stoops, it was like he was almost giving this one to Bob. FSU sat in a base defense, 4-3 Cover 4 look, almost the entire first half. Put our OL in a tremendous comfort zone, zero disguise, zero confusion. Just wanted to keep everything in front of them, and they did early, chose a slow death.

- Huge play, score 14-7 in the 2nd Q, FSU gets a long KO return called back for a block in the back. Changes field from the OU 38 to the FSU 14. Ball game!

- Mossis Madu has an Allen Patrick like burst. Not as physical but a little more wiggle. Good option to have.

- Tony Jefferson, wow!

- FSU comes with their first blitz of the day and get torched by James Hanna splitting the seam for a long TD. M Stoops is shellshocked. The fast tempo probably caught them out of position.

- A little nervous about the DTs. Though #92 flashes.

- Trey Millard, wow!

- FSU has a very good OL. But once the game became lopsided, and they became one-dimensional, they didn't have a chance. I would have like to seen us tested more in the run game.

- Almost zero pressure on Landry the entire first half. Utah State brought it, they brought confusion, and they forced things. FSU played right into our hands by not testing our OL mentally. Too basic.

- Wort scares me. Absolutely blows a coverage and lets a fullback go 20 yards right down the middle of the field. Glad he dropped it. We are going to be exposed their eventually.

- OU defense sniffs out every screen like they are in the offensive huddle.

- #74, Who is the goofy Manute Bol-looking fool, on the Noles bench, who took a cheap shot at Broyles? Dude, lift a weight, and you might get in the rotation.

- Landry made a decent play with a guy in his face. Mensik whiffed badly on a 3rd and 10. Landy slides out with his feet and hits Stills, I believe. Not a first down, but better FG position.

Aries
9/13/2010, 09:11 AM
Can we trade place-kickers with them if we throw in the horse-pigs? :)

stoops the eternal pimp
9/13/2010, 09:20 AM
Yeah, I really was hoping for a more in between the tackles running game from them to prepare for texas and what they are trying to do now..

Your MLB has to be one of the most disciplined players on your football team...young aggressive guy needs to be a little more focused on being assignment strong

The quick tempo stuff works good in non conference, especially facing a new D, but the big 12 opponents have been seeing this for a few years now..won't be caught off guard as much as FSU was

Jello Biafra
9/13/2010, 09:35 AM
Yeah, I really was hoping for a more in between the tackles running game from them to prepare for texas and what they are trying to do now..

Your MLB has to be one of the most disciplined players on your football team...young aggressive guy needs to be a little more focused on being assignment strong

The quick tempo stuff works good in non conference, especially facing a new D, but the big 12 opponents have been seeing this for a few years now..won't be caught off guard as much as FSU was

did ya watch any of the texas game? they look worse in the running game so far this year than they did last year. i dont think between the tackles should be a big worry for us vs. them.

Im not so sure the Full backis 100% his read....he should probably cover him to a certain area but i know he wont be covering man to man all the way out.

i didnt think the fast pace started messing with them until they started getting gassed. i would suspect it will be the same issue with Big XII opponents.

a note.......one more heisman hopeful into the snakepit in norman, one more leaves with his heisman hopes dashed....think this is something that stoops pounds into his team before the game? this has to be something approaching a dozen now in 12 years right?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/13/2010, 09:38 AM
did ya watch any of the texas game? they look worse in the running game so far this year than they did last year. i dont think between the tackles should be a big worry for us vs. them.

Well in all truthfullness, we should gage how good texas is against rice and wyoming as much as we should OU against utah state...meaning I don't put any stock in any of those games

Jello Biafra
9/13/2010, 09:42 AM
Well in all truthfullness, we should gage how good texas is against rice and wyoming as much as we should OU against utah state...meaning I don't put any stock in any of those games

well, im not saying that at all....what i AM saying is they ran (or tried to) run into the teeth of rice's defense and was stone walled several times inside the 5 yard line....

F U G G I N rice....

rawlingsHOH
9/13/2010, 09:44 AM
Im not so sure the Full backis 100% his read....he should probably cover him to a certain area but i know he wont be covering man to man all the way out.

Lewis had the flat and passed the fullback off to Wort, who simply didn't see him. He should have ran with him down the seam.

BoulderSooner79
9/13/2010, 09:45 AM

^This. I didn't see any of the Wyoming game, but against Rice it appeared the horns were going to practice running regardless of how well it was working. They knew they had control of the game and were doing that "vanilla" thing. In both games, they opened it up in the 2nd half to pull away. They'll open it up from the get-go in conference play.

Jello Biafra
9/13/2010, 09:46 AM
Lewis had the flat and passed the fullback off to Wort, who simply didn't see him. He should have ran with him down the seam.

i gotcha...did see the play, didnt remember the scenario but i was thinkin "holy good thing he dropped that"

Jello Biafra
9/13/2010, 09:52 AM
^This. I didn't see any of the Wyoming game, but against Rice it appeared the horns were going to practice running regardless of how well it was working. They knew they had control of the game and were doing that "vanilla" thing. In both games, they opened it up in the 2nd half to pull away. They'll open it up from the get-go in conference play.

well, vanilla or not, you should be able to score inside the 5 on rice right?

rawlingsHOH
9/13/2010, 09:53 AM
Regarding the run defense... It's all about being able to stop it in the 4th Q. That is when you can be exposed, when you desperately need the stop. Being able to get off the field when you are gassed.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/13/2010, 09:54 AM
For me, i won't be concerned about their inside run game when the scoreboard reads in OU's favor after the game...seems like they've put up some dumpers over the last few years before playing OU and came out on the winning side...

NormanPride
9/13/2010, 10:31 AM
Our safeties played amazing, and if they continue to do that it will be very, very hard to pass on us consistently. Jefferson is a freak, and makes us tons better already. He's playing the same position Clayton was last year. How many of those plays would Clayton make? Yeah.

We need to run an I based offense like NOW. Millard is a weapon in so many ways, and will really, really help our offense out in the long run. We need to get more physical up front, and I wish Wilson had started trying to force the issue earlier when we were up by a few scores. We didn't break 100 rushing yards, and I'm disappointed in that. A blowout like this was a good opportunity to get the OLine into beast mode before conference play.

Wort is hot and cold. He's great for five plays and then forgets he's on the field for two. Scary from the MLB position... Will Box get the starting nod when he's good to play? He should be back in the next week or two according to the coaches.

WRs looked great. Blocking was good to great, route running was good to great, and I think we had one drop the whole day. Landry looked 1000% better in the pocket, and that was because the OLine had no trouble handling FSU's DL. Even if they were taking it easy on us, a game like this goes a long way to build confidence and get in sync. I would like to see Stills get more looks, because I think we'll need him down the line.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/13/2010, 10:37 AM
anybody else think stills plays eerily similar to travis wilson?

BoulderSooner79
9/13/2010, 10:41 AM
well, vanilla or not, you should be able to score inside the 5 on rice right?

They claim the RB had a sprained ankle and didn't tell the coaches. He got benched for that. But I know nothing about Rice; they could have a stout goal line defense against the run. I just know they'll go with whatever works best for them when they play us - they won't try to pound the ball for the sake of practice. We showed no ability to run against FSU, so maybe it will be a sky full of footballs in Dallas.

HBick
9/13/2010, 10:42 AM
I think Wort is still adjusting to playing in a real game. Last season if he hadn't been hurt it'd be a whole new ball game (no pun intended). But he missed a few tackles here and there because he was going for the kill. From what I've heard from the kids who help out as assistant trainers and water boys/girls is that Coach V is still happy with how he is progressing and adjusting.

That said, Ronnell is just flat out scary. That kick off where just grazed the return man was terrifying because if he had hit him full on he might of killed them both. And he got Ponder pretty good in the 2nd quarter and it visibly shook him up. He got up and was trying to dump it off quick for the rest of the series. It happened right in front of me and my pops and it was a thing of beauty.

FSU Note: Greg Reid was just abused by us. He wasn't wrapping people up (Miller's catch in the 2nd), getting caught out of position (Cameron's catch in the 2nd as well), and then the muffed punt but I think that was more to do with the atmosphere of the game and him trying to single handily bring FSU back into it. That said he still is one hell of an athlete, and also shows me that apparently Broyles is a nightmare for every team we face this year due to his ability to get open (which we of course already knew).

And it's already been said, but how about Kenney AND Hanna. Hanna was a pretty big recruit out of high school and he showed us flashes of what he can be with that run after the catch for the TD.

Final note, secondary looked great, DL looked vastly improved. Of course no Gerald hurts, but they were preventing the run up the middle much better than I anticipated.

Fleming looked much better, Hurst looked about the same as last week, and Jefferson. WOW, can't believe we have him for 3 years (at least), maybe four.

My main complaint for this game were the fans. Granted I'm no longer in the student section, but I want the BOOMER, SOONER more than just before the game. Maybe I'll get my wish someday.

NormanPride
9/13/2010, 10:43 AM

I haven't seen enough to really say so, but I think he has better moves than Wilson did. He does have good hands and showed a lot of patience on that screen he caught. Good downfield blocking by Hanna on that play...

stoops the eternal pimp
9/13/2010, 10:44 AM

I could agree with that...Wilson was a guy who could do some things with the ball after the catch...Wilson ended up being able to play a little more physical style of WR, so hopefully Stills learns that..without the TW attitude of course

People underestimate what Wilson did with the ball in his hands, but go back and look at what he did on some reverses they ran to him