PDA

View Full Version : Excuse me, is that a Tomahawk in your head?

oupride
9/13/2010, 07:51 AM
"My man Greg Reid, the difference maker last week 1 punt return, 1 TD, 74 yrds; they will win the battle of field position and Christian Ponder is gonna throw his name in the Heisman hat." - Desmond Howard, ESPN College Game Day, Sept. 11, 2010.

Seriously? Up till now I have enjoyed listening to Desmond, but did he pick FSU just to be different than Corso and Herbstreit or did he drink too much of the Coolaide being served by the media. If he would have simply done any investigative research at http://www.tomahawknation.com/section/Football
he would have read: "The "not over-using its safeties" line is important because OU will easily pick apart FSU's defense on first or second down if FSU is clearly"lining up top stop the run."

Although Reid did have a career-high 10 tackles, he also missed a number of tackles and that indeed made him a "difference maker."

Christian Ponder completed just 11 of 28 attempts for 113 yards with two interceptions.

Although I agree that special team players are a critical component, I was stunned that Desmond said it and now left feeling disappointed in his credibility as a journalist.

StoopTroup
9/13/2010, 07:59 AM
I'm gonna go with the Team that has a Head Coach with 10 years under his belt and the oddsmakers are making them give points at Home.

Desmond drank the koolaid IMO.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/13/2010, 08:28 AM
Usually when a corner has a lot of tackles, that means he is being picked on and not respected by the other team

Soonermagik
9/13/2010, 08:36 AM
If you've ever really listened to the show they are told who to pick by the producers. Basically, it's all prearranged to create controversy and keep people talking about the show.

I remember one time when Herbstreit said he would prefer to pick so and so, but was told to pick the other team. Corso busted out laughing! The main objective of the show is to be entertaining and create controversy. I've never felt like it was to actually pick the real winner. Someone has to play devil's advocate.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/13/2010, 08:40 AM
True...ESPN is entertainment not sports journalism...Its not entertaining when everybody agrees

SbOrOiNaEnR
9/13/2010, 08:45 AM
Entertainment and Sports Programming Network.

TUSooner
9/13/2010, 08:48 AM
Entertainment and Sports Programming Network.

Hear this! ^^^^

stoops the eternal pimp
9/13/2010, 08:49 AM
exactly..sports programming doesnt define anything except they show sports

RJSooner
9/13/2010, 09:11 AM
Until they get the hots for something or someone they want.. and then they turned into a lobbying, agenda having, craphead spin monster.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/13/2010, 09:17 AM
I quit watching anything outside of actual games and Im a lot happier for it..dont despise tebow, don't care about boise, etc...

Sooner04
9/13/2010, 09:34 AM
I quit watching anything outside of actual games and Im a lot happier for it..dont despise tebow, don't care about boise, etc...
And from the Heavens came a voice of reason!

Okie35
9/13/2010, 10:03 AM

Yea I keep it limited sometimes I can't help it though.

SouthFortySooner
9/13/2010, 10:24 AM

I only get my info from SoonerFans.com. What does that make me?

badger
9/13/2010, 10:27 AM
I only got to see the first hour or so (plus the Erin Andrews pregame show on ESPNU) before we had to take off for Norman (ugh, still sumburnt from north endzone seating!)

sooneron
9/13/2010, 10:28 AM
I have learned to watch gameday with a shaker of salt. It comes in handy.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/13/2010, 10:29 AM
I only get my info from SoonerFans.com. What does that make me?

Berry Tramel

A part of the problem
..:D

jumperstop
9/13/2010, 12:08 PM
Gameday and College Football Final aren't what they used to be to me. I made sure to get up every Saturday and stay up after all the games to watch Final, but now it just seems like junk. Maybe I've just grown up or it's just gotten that bad.

SOFSooner
9/13/2010, 01:20 PM
And a full bottle of tequila!