PDA

View Full Version : Another Rick Neweasel story . . .

Jacie
9/13/2010, 06:27 AM
Updated: September 12, 2010, 10:08 PM ET

Rick Neuheisel: UCLA QB job is open
by Peter Yoon
Special to ESPNLosAngeles.com

LOS ANGELES -- UCLA is reopening the competition for the starting quarterback job, coach Rick Neuheisel said Sunday, the result of an offensive attack that is among the worst in the nation through two games.

The Bruins have a passing efficiency rating of 68.52, which ranks last among the 120 Football Bowl Subdivision teams. UCLA is also among the bottom 10 in the nation in passing offense (100.5 yards per game), total offense (273 yards per game) and scoring (11 points per game). Neuheisel said he and offensive coordinator Norm Chow (This offense is coached by Norm Chow? The Norm Chow???) would evaluate starter Kevin Prince and backup Richard Brehaut this week in practice.

"I think we've made it clear to the quarterbacks and Norm has made it clear to those guys that we have to play the position better and obviously there'll be competition," Neuheisel said. "The effectiveness of the quarterback position is critical so we want to make sure that we've got somebody out there that knows what he's doing and can do it well."

Prince has started each of the first two games even though he missed most of training camp because of a strained oblique muscle and was limited by a sore shoulder last week. The rust has shown as he has completed 15 of 38 passes for 159 yards with a touchdown and three interceptions.

In Saturday's 35-0 loss to Stanford, Prince had only 39 yards passing before leaving because of a sore shoulder after a third-quarter fumble. Brehaut relieved him and completed five of nine passes for 42 yards.

"We'll wait and see what the health situation is but to date the performance hasn't been what it needs to be (Coachspeak for: I wonder if Colorado will take me back?)," Neuheisel said of Prince.

Any sa*et fans pointing to this game as indicative that the whorns are trying to schedule up, consider that UCLA will probably be 0-3 by the time they get to Austin . . .

soonerloyal
9/13/2010, 06:32 AM
I'll still root for 'em to beat usuc, no matter how improbable that might be.

BoulderSooner79
9/13/2010, 10:33 AM
I must admit, I had high hopes for Rick. He did manage to steal a few plum recruits for 'SC, but the results on the field have been dismal. They do seem to be snake bit with the injury bug the last couple of years and we Sooners know all too well how that can hurt. But what I saw the last 2 weeks was a sloppy, poorly coached team. Bummer that UCLA will probably have to go through a coaching change during this time that 'SC is on probation and vulnerable.

soonervegas
9/13/2010, 10:34 AM
I remember when Dean Blevins was pimping him to replace John Blake.

picasso
9/13/2010, 10:35 AM
He should get the guitar out and sing them a song. A beach side cookout maybe?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/13/2010, 10:35 AM
Their performance this week kinda makes me not as high as I was on kSU a week ago

stoopified
9/13/2010, 10:36 AM
Before long there will be an opening at Headcoch at UCLA.Heuweasel is only a slightly better coach than Boo.

badger
9/13/2010, 10:37 AM
Rick is opening the UCLA QB job, because if he doesn't, then the UCLA head coaching job will be open soon :D

Seriously though... what is wrong at UCLA? They have the freakin' Rose Bowl to play in, a great recruiting area, a non-bowl eligible USC, and the crappy Pac-10 to compete with. Why is UCLA suddenly not competitive again?!

Answer: Because Slick Rick isn't cheating (yet)

sooneron
9/13/2010, 10:40 AM
YET!

NormanPride
9/13/2010, 10:42 AM
Stanford is good, and UCLA is devoid of talent. Give it time. I hate Ricky as much as the next football fan, but he's a proven coach...

sooneron
9/13/2010, 10:47 AM
Stanford is good, and UCLA is devoid of talent. Give it time. I hate Ricky as much as the next football fan, but he's a proven cheat...

FIFY

BoulderSooner79
9/13/2010, 10:50 AM
Stanford is good, and UCLA is devoid of talent. Give it time. I hate Ricky as much as the next football fan, but he's a proven coach...

I hope you're right, but this is his 3rd year and his team just looks undisciplined to me. UCLA really needs to take advantage of their cross-town rival's woes to get back to being competitive and the clock is ticking.

NormanPride
9/13/2010, 10:59 AM
Agreed. But think about Mike out at Arizona. He took a few years to really get things going there. They're a good program now, though.

badger
9/13/2010, 11:11 AM
Agreed. But think about Mike out at Arizona. He took a few years to really get things going there. They're a good program now, though.

Not to disagree with my dear husband, but Rick went 7-6 last year and went to a bowl game in his second second at UCLA... and this is a program that expects to win, not one that needed tons of rebuilding like Arizona.

Right now, UCLA seems to not be heading back toward a 7-6 bowl berth season. They seem to be going backwards at a time in their conference and their crosstown rivalry that suggests they should be moving forward... like, a LOT forward.

Instead, they lose their season opener (admitted, on the road against KSU, which is not a pushover) and their conference opener (admittedly to another team that isn't a pushover, Stanford).

Leroy Lizard
9/13/2010, 12:03 PM
I remember when Dean Blevins was pimping him to replace John Blake.

That would have had me dressing in an orange cowboy suit and heading to Stillwater for my home games.

Well, almost.

Leroy Lizard
9/13/2010, 12:04 PM

I think Arizona went winless the year before Mike arrived.

badger
9/13/2010, 12:24 PM
I think Arizona went winless the year before Mike arrived.

Mackovic (name sound familiar?hehe) was actually 1-4 when he was fired, five games into the 2003 season... the interim guy led them to a 1-6 record, so I guess that makes the kitties 2-10.

The urgency of getting a new guy in at Az led to Mike leaving before the 2003 championship game. :(

:(:(:(:(

swardboy
9/13/2010, 12:31 PM
The urgency of getting a new guy in at Az led to Mike leaving before the 2003 championship game. :(

And in the grand scheme of things did it REALLY make any difference for AZ? I'm confident it made a GREAT deal of difference for us.

PalmBeachSooner
9/13/2010, 12:45 PM
Rick is opening the UCLA QB job, because if he doesn't, then the UCLA head coaching job will be open soon :D

Seriously though... what is wrong at UCLA? They have the freakin' Rose Bowl to play in, a great recruiting area, a non-bowl eligible USC, and the crappy Pac-10 to compete with. Why is UCLA suddenly not competitive again?!

Answer: Because Slick Rick isn't cheating (yet)

Maybe he'll hire that master recruiter boo blake.

Statalyzer
9/13/2010, 12:48 PM
UCLA is reopening the competition for the starting quarterback job

And closing the competition for designated flopper. That punt returner won the job hands-down.