PDA

View Full Version : The Legend of Florida Speed

PDXsooner
9/12/2010, 06:47 PM
Any time a Florida school beats anyone, it's because of their speed. We know this because Lee Corso, Kirk Herbstreit, Fowler, Mark May, that retarded ex-Notre Dame coach who has slurred speech from an aneurism but no one's bothered to tell him about it, and any other talking head tells us so.

My question is, where does all of this speed go to college? Miami, who just got punked by "thick ankled, slow" Ohio State? Florida State, which just got boat-raced by a much faster Sooner squad? It must all go to the Gators. I mean, if there is this massive amount of speed in the high schools in Florida, why doesn't it appear more at the major football institutions in their own state?

My personal opinion: high-school athletes in Florida aren't any faster than high-school athletes in Texas. Or Oklahoma. or anywhere else.

Denver_Sooner
9/12/2010, 06:51 PM
If you were running from the cops all the time, you would have speed as well. That's why they have speed. Either that or they are selling speed if you catch my drift. So in that regard, they do have speed.

StoopTroup
9/12/2010, 06:55 PM
They have the wind behind them in Florida.....it's probably lucky they don't all run out into the Bermuda Triangle and drown.

Denver_Sooner
9/12/2010, 06:59 PM
They have the wind behind them in Florida.....it's probably lucky they don't all run out into the Bermuda Triangle and drown.

I sense a Florida "sucks" joke coming soon.....

PDXsooner
9/12/2010, 07:08 PM
Another thing: You hear a lot of SEC Speed talk as well. I watched Oregon run all over Tennessee last night, it was dreadful. Tennessee looked like they were playing in slow motion.

BosworthXXXL
9/12/2010, 07:31 PM
Any time a Florida school beats anyone, it's because of their speed. We know this because Lee Corso, Kirk Herbstreit, Fowler, Mark May, that retarded ex-Notre Dame coach who has slurred speech from an aneurism but no one's bothered to tell him about it, and any other talking head tells us so.

My question is, where does all of this speed go to college? Miami, who just got punked by "thick ankled, slow" Ohio State? Florida State, which just got boat-raced by a much faster Sooner squad? It must all go to the Gators. I mean, if there is this massive amount of speed in the high schools in Florida, why doesn't it appear more at the major football institutions in their own state?

My personal opinion: high-school athletes in Florida aren't any faster than high-school athletes in Texas. Or Oklahoma. or anywhere else.

If you told me that we could only get recruits from 1 state, I would pick the state of Texas

but that's me.........

rawlingsHOH
9/12/2010, 07:31 PM
Ohio state continually produces good speed

NoleMan
9/12/2010, 07:38 PM

Well, I'll tell you one place they definitely are (and I know we won't throw FSU in the mix, but they have some wheels, seriously), is at UF.

Jon Demps/RB: won NCAA 100 in 9.96 seconds this year at the 2010 Outdoors. Won the NCAA 60 meters indoors and the SEC 100 this spring,

Chris Rainey/RB: Was on Florida's men’s 4x100-meter relay team, along with Demps, who captured its second consecutive NCAA Championship.

They have others, as do we, that are legitimate 4.3 or less 40 types. But, as we know, there's also a difference between track speed and football speed.

ashley
9/12/2010, 07:53 PM

Wrong. Florida and Texas and the South in general do send more speed to colleges than other states or regions.

goingoneight
9/12/2010, 07:56 PM
Wrong. Florida and Texas and the South in general do send more speed to colleges than other states or regions.

Coincidentally those states send more football players PERIOD to colleges... hmmm...

ashley
9/12/2010, 07:58 PM
Maybe because they are faster.

Leroy Lizard
9/12/2010, 08:45 PM
If you told me that we could only get recruits from 1 state, I would pick the state of Texas

but that's me.........

Nope. California. Then Florida.

The myth that Texas produces the most talent was propagated by arrogant Texans who think the state is the center of the universe. In terms of overall NFL production, Texas ranks third, not first.

Per capita-wise, you gotta go with the Southern states.

StoopTroup
9/12/2010, 08:50 PM
LMAO....

Boz....if you'd have said Mars, Leroid would recruit Uranus.

Leroy Lizard
9/12/2010, 08:54 PM
LMAO....

Boz....if you'd have said Mars, Leroid would recruit Uranus.

I attacked Texas. Never 'dis someone attacking Texas. (That should be a board rule.)

ashley
9/12/2010, 08:56 PM
Nope. California. Then Florida.

The myth that Texas produces the most talent was propagated by arrogant Texans who think the state is the center of the universe. In terms of overall NFL production, Texas ranks third, not first.

Per capita-wise, you gotta go with the Southern states.

2009 rosters had 205 from Calilornia, 179 trom Texas and 176 from Florida. i don't know about 2010.

Leroy Lizard
9/12/2010, 09:00 PM
My info was more dated, but it appears that Texas and Florida are just about even (although Florida has a smaller population).

tulsaoilerfan
9/12/2010, 09:01 PM
Well, I'll tell you one place they definitely are (and I know we won't throw FSU in the mix, but they have some wheels, seriously), is at UF.

Jon Demps/RB: won NCAA 100 in 9.96 seconds this year at the 2010 Outdoors. Won the NCAA 60 meters indoors and the SEC 100 this spring,

Chris Rainey/RB: Was on Florida's men’s 4x100-meter relay team, along with Demps, who captured its second consecutive NCAA Championship.

They have others, as do we, that are legitimate 4.3 or less 40 types. But, as we know, there's also a difference between track speed and football speed.

There are probably less than a dozen legit 4.3 or less guys in the country playing college football, if that

PDXsooner
9/12/2010, 09:02 PM

Really? How do you figure?

batonrougesooner
9/12/2010, 09:02 PM
It stands to reason that the states which produce the most D1 college football talent will in turn produce the most NFL talent.

PDXsooner
9/12/2010, 09:03 PM

I'll buy that. Florida has some speedsters. We saw it first hand in '08. Harvin was a freak.

StoopTroup
9/12/2010, 09:04 PM
I attacked Texas. Never 'dis someone attacking Texas. (That should be a board rule.)

Hey for all I know your the expert on Uranus.

Johnny Utah
9/12/2010, 10:00 PM
I think the Florida (and SEC) speed thing is a lot of hype by the sports media and unfortunately bought into by players and fans alike. I grew up in NW Ohio, went to college in OK (UCO) and as an adult I spent over 10 yrs in the Jacksonville, FL area followed by over 10 yrs in the Atlanta, GA area. During that time I participated in plenty of both organized and pick-up sports with FL and GA natives and at not at any time were they the best athletes on the field or court.

Crucifax Autumn
9/12/2010, 10:06 PM
I think the post office, UPS, Fed Ex, and all other carriers should recruit heavily in Florida.

SoFla Sooner
9/12/2010, 10:11 PM
I am told (this is not necessarily verified) that coaches in Florida simply tell their running backs and receivers to "run like ya stole somethin'" and its a done deal.

Crucifax Autumn
9/12/2010, 10:14 PM
If that's true then quit posting it before Macksterisk Brown tries the same strategy.

budbarrybob
9/12/2010, 11:37 PM
Another thing: You hear a lot of SEC Speed talk as well. I watched Oregon run all over Tennessee last night, it was dreadful. Tennessee looked like they were playing in slow motion.

I've always thought that Oregon was supa fast though. They are like the SEC o' da north team that the SE USA forgot.

Leroy Lizard
9/12/2010, 11:46 PM
Hey for all I know your the expert on Uranus.

I can't believe I passed up the chance to do something with that word.

yankee
9/12/2010, 11:53 PM
my theory is this (i could be way off, it's JMO): the south produces more speed players than the north because of the weather. milder climate = more outside training/running. the north has a harsher climate, thus more time spent in the gym getting bigger and coincidentally "slower". BOOM.

oh and TX HS football rulez.

pweitkem
9/13/2010, 06:17 AM
Take it easy on Lou... he doesn't have slurred speech because of an aneurism, he has slurred speech because he isn't using the new and improved Super Polident.

StormySooner-IN
9/13/2010, 07:04 AM
my theory is this (i could be way off, it's JMO): the south produces more speed players than the north because of the weather. milder climate = more outside training/running. the north has a harsher climate, thus more time spent in the gym getting bigger and coincidentally "slower". BOOM.

That's what I always thought. Winter time succs up here in Indy. Most people are inside 24/7...so that would be the result.

Sooner in Tampa
9/13/2010, 08:26 AM

Two things about the whole...SPEED deal...during the Sooner broadcast Saturday one of the announcers said..."The Sooners have speed in spades!"

Before watching the Sooner game, I was watching the USF vs. UF game...Demps is retarded fast, he is just flat out greasy quick, he made USF look like they were standing still on a couple of occasions.

Leroy Lizard
9/13/2010, 12:13 PM
Two things about the whole...SPEED deal...during the Sooner broadcast Saturday one of the announcers said..."The Sooners have speed in spades!"

We really need a Jesse Jackson icon.

Mississippi Sooner
9/13/2010, 12:20 PM

Before watching the Sooner game, I was watching the USF vs. UF game...Demps is retarded fast, he is just flat out greasy quick, he made USF look like they were standing still on a couple of occasions.

Demps is sort of the exception that proves the rule, at least in SEC minds. He's an Olympic quality track star who doesn't mind carrying a football. He's the one player in the conference that doesn't need to have his 40 time embellished.

swardboy
9/13/2010, 12:21 PM
Didn't Switzer get in trouble once describing Sims running "like he was carrying a stolen watermelon"???

jumperstop
9/13/2010, 12:43 PM
Didn't Switzer get in trouble once describing Sims running "like he was carrying a stolen watermelon"???

Wow! Racist on multiple levels. Too bad everyone knows that black people aren't partial to watermelon anymore than a white person...Should have said fried chicken or grape soda. ;)

jumperstop
9/13/2010, 12:45 PM
And just cause you have "speed", why does that all of a sudden make you good? Wasn't Robert Giffin from Baylor and Olympic class track star at one point too? Baylor still sucks.

Okie35
9/13/2010, 12:49 PM
This is why I HATTTTTTTTTTEEEEEE the media. Elite teams have speed PERIOD. It doesn't matter where they are from.

Okie35
9/13/2010, 12:51 PM

There was an article I read using that same theory.

PalmBeachSooner
9/13/2010, 12:53 PM
I've always thought that Oregon was supa fast though. They are like the SEC o' da north team that the SE USA forgot.

Yes, but their speed guys come from Cali.

ashley
9/13/2010, 01:59 PM
Every school in the nation recruits Texas, La, Miss, Georgia, Florida, and So, Cal because of speed.

47straight
9/13/2010, 02:12 PM

Great post. No question.

KantoSooner
9/13/2010, 02:16 PM
Take it easy on Lou... he doesn't have slurred speech because of an aneurism, he has slurred speech because he isn't using the new and improved Super Polident.

And here I thought it was a holdover from his youth, when he grew up speaking Middle English.

ashley
9/13/2010, 08:04 PM
Great post. No question.

Check the State track meet results from Texas and Florida and I think you will see. They are faster and more of them.

bluedogok
9/13/2010, 08:14 PM
Nah...its da shoes.

Wow! Racist on multiple levels. Too bad everyone knows that black people aren't partial to watermelon anymore than a white person...Should have said fried chicken or grape soda. ;)
Kind of like the Martellus Bennett video from a few months ago?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS2ZIAQkVc0

47straight
9/13/2010, 09:24 PM
Check the State track meet results from Texas and Florida and I think you will see. They are faster and more of them.

Check the box scores from last weekend. Those track meet competitors must not be playing Division 1 football in Florida.

OK2U
9/14/2010, 12:01 PM
Lookes like UF's Rainey has been using his speed to stalk bi*ches
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5570905

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/57/florida-gators) receiver Chris Rainey (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=235222) has been charged with aggravated stalking, a third-degree felony...

According to Gainesville police, Rainey sent the woman he dated on and off the past three years a text message that read, "Time to die," after leaving her home Monday night.