PDA

View Full Version : The Good, The Bad & The Ugly: A Nole's Observations From Norman!...

NoleMan
9/12/2010, 03:54 PM
Ok, that was just flat out embarassing and humiliating. What else can you say. Our hyped up Heisman Candidate ain't all that. Our All World Corner and Return man got 2 punt returns for 6 yards and a big, tall glass of STFU. Our D looked like Swiss Cheese. And those are the good things about yesterday!

But..

Why let a little butt whuppin' cloud an otherwise great trip. So, here are some random thoughts on "The Good, The Bad & The Ugly"...

A. The Good

1. The fans. Did I mention the fans? Gracious and hospitable before the game at the tailagates and walking around. All weekend long. I had some trepidations after a "Poke" (is that what you call 'em?? :cool: ) came up to us in the Houston airport and advised us "Norman is the worst place in the world. They'll spit on you an cuss you out!". Funny compared to the lovely OU couple we just had lunch with. Or the reaction from this Board. Nope. Great fans. Great City. People in Florida could take some lesson on good ol' Midwest values and hospitality.

2. The Soonerfans.com Tailgate. I had some concerns I might have to do some strange things with animals or something while reading the pre-game FSU threads, but it turned out to be a safe place to visit. In fact, you guys throw a GREAT party! Loved meeting some of the regulars. Wonderful hospitality.

3. Beautiful campus. Nice and clean. Very "homey feeling" despite it's size.

4. Memorial Stadium. Great to visit one of the "Cathedrals" of college football for the first time.

5. Landry Jones. 75% completion rate. 2nd highest passing yards ever for OU in the first half. Different QB than from the week before.

6. OU game plan. They constantly exploited the short bubble screens and short out routes to the WR. FSU never seemed to adjust.

7. Your Linebackers. Is Travis Lewis the one they fear even in practice because he'll hurt someone? I could see why he's on the Butkus Award list.

B. The Bad

1. The humidity, although I realize the big storms that came through earlier in the week contributed to that.

2. The wind. Wow, now I know why they wrote that into the song.

C. The Ugly
(Can't even talk about our performance, so it would deserve it's own special category!)

1. This whole flap over the moment of silence. Enough said in the other thread, but it puts somewhat of a damper on things.

2. SOME (but not many) of our younger FSU fans. I just don't get the if you're losing start acting like a jack *** thing, but I admit, I did see a couple, who had to revert to the "Hook 'Em Horns" or flipping people off thing. Lose with class man.

Anyway, back to the Fark Board for me. Best of luck for the year.

C&CDean
9/12/2010, 04:00 PM
I enjoyed meeting you and your buds Gil. Glad you enjoyed yourself in Norman. Hopefully y'all's season will turn for the better, and next year's game in Tallahassee is a barn burner...with another Sooner victory!! Anyhow, good luck and happy trails amigo.

olevetonahill
9/12/2010, 04:15 PM
Great Post , Glad you had a Great time and We had a better one :D

Tigeman
9/12/2010, 04:17 PM
I got to sit w/ some of your all's school fundraisers after the game at our tailgate. Apparently one of my old fraternity brothers is now working for FSU in the fund raising dept, so he brought some of his co-workers along w/ him to our tailgate after the game.

Very friendly and knowledgeable folks. I got to give them some info about their own quarterback that they didn't know which was cool...lol. But they said for the most part our sooner fans had treated them well, which I'm glad to hear (despite the occasional jack a$$).

oudavid1
9/12/2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the kind words. SPEK

Collier11
9/12/2010, 04:20 PM
The only reason osu fans say that is cus we hate their dumb asses, non conference foes typically get treated quite well, glad you had fun

oudavid1
9/12/2010, 04:27 PM
The only reason osu fans say that is cus we hate their dumb asses, non conference foes typically get treated quite well, glad you had fun

that and they made us pass season ticket prices for visitors seats in 08.

Collier11
9/12/2010, 04:28 PM
and you bought them? Dumb arse :D

oudavid1
9/12/2010, 04:30 PM
and you bought them? Dumb arse :D

nah, i dont like away games. I only travel one place, Dallas Baby!

HBick
9/12/2010, 04:36 PM

Hmm, OSU. I hate them only because of their delusional views. They consider the season a success if they beat OU. What's that you say? 8 losses but we beat Oklahoma? Give the coach another year!

Oh and Stillwater might be the ****tiest place in the big 12 outside of Manhattan.

Collier11
9/12/2010, 04:38 PM
I hate them cus they act like they are a legit football program or that anyone gives a sh*t about them. You are right, they are very delusional.

yukonsooner
9/12/2010, 04:39 PM
We visited with numerous FSU fans yesterday and they were all very nice fans and were very respectful. We hope you had a great time. We can't wait to make the trip to your campus next year. Your fans were markedly different from all the other Florida fans we have encountered. Hope the remainder of your season goes well.

Collier11
9/12/2010, 04:42 PM
We had several Nole fans stop by our TG as we are right on ASP and Boyd, all nice people it seemed. 3 guys hung out for a while, 2 ended up going to the game and asked if their buddy could hang out.

We told him absolutely but there were rules, no loud cheering, if FSU scores he cant celebrate unless he does it by this tree that was about 20 yards away, and if at anytime fsu is winning he has to give us some of his beer. :D He was really cool, had no problem at all with him or anyone else. I hope we get the same treatment in Tallahassee

Mark_in_Tulsa
9/12/2010, 04:49 PM
I wasn't at the game but from my life experiences so far Nole fans>>> Thug U and Gayter fans.

oupride
9/12/2010, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the kind words. Good luck the rest of the way and see you next year!

josh09
9/12/2010, 05:00 PM
Glad to have you, a great post!

OUthunder
9/12/2010, 05:03 PM
Classy post.

rawlingsHOH
9/12/2010, 05:10 PM
I had some trepidations after a "Poke" (is that what you call 'em?? :cool: ) came up to us in the Houston airport and advised us "Norman is the worst place in the world. They'll spit on you an cuss you out!". Funny compared to the lovely OU couple we just had lunch with. Or the reaction from this Board. Nope. Great fans. Great City. People in Florida could take some lesson on good ol' Midwest values and hospitality.

they are delusional.

NoleMan
9/12/2010, 06:13 PM
I need to amend the "Good List"...

LOVE that cowboy boot thing your girls got going on. :D

AlbqSooner
9/12/2010, 06:19 PM
I hate them cus they act like they are a legit football program or that anyone gives a sh*t about them. You are right, they are very delusional.

Me - I just hate em outta peer pressure.:D

Leroy Lizard
9/12/2010, 07:01 PM
Hmm, OSU. I hate them only because of their delusional views. They consider the season a success if they beat OU. What's that you say? 8 losses but we beat Oklahoma? Give the coach another year!

Oh and Stillwater might be the ****tiest place in the big 12 outside of Manhattan.

I try to be fair when it comes to the fans from other teams. I recognize that there are bull**** fans for every school. Having said that, there does appear to be a bitterness about OSU fans that transcends the norm, just as there is an arrogance about UT fans that transcends the norm. I just don't understand them. I actually like the OSU team (but not UT) but I cannot carry a conversation with Poke fans. As soon as I tell them I'm a Sooner they get this look on their face, as if I had just told them that I poisoned their cat.

They's gots issues.

Boomer.....
9/12/2010, 07:34 PM
Glad you had a good time!

Soonermagik
9/12/2010, 08:15 PM
I met several cool FSU fans at the game. I'm glad you had a great time here.

I said it in another post, but you guys will be fine. I think in the next 2-3 years FSU will be a legit top 10 team. Too much talent, money and tradition not to be.

PLaw
9/12/2010, 08:29 PM
B. The Bad

1. The humidity, although I realize the big storms that came through earlier in the week contributed to that.

2. The wind. Wow, now I know why they wrote that into the song. -- NOLEMAN

Noleman - glad you came and for the most part enjoyed your fans. The weather, however, was pretty darn good for Oklahoma. It could have been bumpin' a hundred or the wind blowin' at 40 mph.

We look forward to our visit to your house next year and I know the game will be much more competitive as your players get a full understanding of the new coach's systems.

BOOMER

MichiganSooner
9/12/2010, 08:32 PM
I sat in the midst of Nole fans in section 39. Glad we pulled away in the score because I get tired of the tomahawk chop and the singing. Had good converstions with them before the game except one husband dressed in a Texas shirt and hat. He is a texass grad now living in Tallahassee. The guy made a big deal out of the OU starters who were from Texas. "Only one starter from Oklahoma...blah, blah, blah.
I politely told him the Texas kids came to OU to play football because they wanted to be champions.

MichiganSooner
9/12/2010, 08:34 PM
After the game, while walking down Lindsay Street toward the south oval area, I stopped and took a picture of the Seed Sower statue with Dale Hall in the background. A Nole stopped beside me and said, "this is a beautiful campus."

goingoneight
9/12/2010, 08:38 PM
"Only one starter from Oklahoma."

1. Three guys from Oklahoma were selected from OUr starting lineup in this Spring's NFL draft... pretty highly I might add, too. :D
2. **** and moan all you want to about where OUr guys are from, you'r ejust pissed that they're on OUr side while your own team succcccccccccccccccccccks. :P

Leroy Lizard
9/12/2010, 08:39 PM
I sat in the midst of Nole fans in section 39. Glad we pulled away in the score because I get tired of the tomahawk chop and the singing. Had good converstions with them before the game except one husband dressed in a Texas shirt and hat. He is a texass grad now living in Tallahassee. The guy made a big deal out of the OU starters who were from Texas. "Only one starter from Oklahoma...blah, blah, blah.
I politely told him the Texas kids came to OU to play football because they wanted to be champions.

We didn't recruit them; we rescued them. I-35 is like the Underground Railroad.

Lott's Bandana
9/12/2010, 08:40 PM
After the game, while walking down Lindsay Street toward the south oval area, I stopped and took a picture of the Seed Sower statue with Dale Hall in the background. A Nole stopped beside me and said, "this is a beautiful campus."

I taught at Florida State for 3 years in the mid-90s. Yes, it was hell sportin my OU swag.

One of the most disappointing things for me was the complete lack of architectural synergy in their campus plan. Every building different, no real common areas, and streets and roads take precedence over foot traffic...frankly, it's ugly.

I'm not surprised they think OU is a nice looking place. It is.

Edit: To be fair, I loved my time there and the opportunity to teach at the University level.

Leroy Lizard
9/12/2010, 08:40 PM

So he hadn't seen the purple horse.

bluedogok
9/12/2010, 08:49 PM
Noleman - glad you came and for the most part enjoyed your fans. The weather, however, was pretty darn good for Oklahoma. It could have been bumpin' a hundred or the wind blowin' at 40 mph.
My dad said that it was pretty nice but then we sat through too many of those 100+ degree games and that was 6:00pm starts not the ones in the middle of the afternoon.

LifelongSooner
9/12/2010, 09:56 PM

I cannot believe no one ever says
Darrell K Royal

Born in Hollis OKLAHOMA Royal played quarterback and defensive back at the University of Oklahoma under his mentor, coach Bud Wilkinson from 1946 to 1949. While attending Oklahoma, he joined the Delta Upsilon Fraternity.

Royal was most noted for his prowess as a defensive back, where his 18 career interceptions and his three interceptions in the 1947 game against Oklahoma A&M are still Sooner records.[2][3]

Royal's part-time contributions at quarterback had a similar impact, despite having to share time with Jack Mitchell and Claude Arnold at the position. He threw a 43-yard pass against the North Carolina in the 1949 Sugar Bowl. Royal holds the fourth-best winning percentage in school history (minimum 15 starts) with a 16–1 mark as a part-time quarterback starter. His 11–0 mark as a starter in 1949 ranks as one of the best seasons in school history.[2][3]

In 2000, Royal was inducted into the Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame.

University of Texas

Royal took over as head coach at University of Texas in December 1956, and achieved success almost instantaneously. The team went from a 1–9 record, their worst record ever, in 1956 to a 6–4–1 mark and a berth in the Sugar Bowl in 1957. In Royal's 20 years as head coach, Texas never had a losing season. Royal posted a 167–47–5 career record at Texas. His overall coaching record was 184–60–5.

With Royal at the helm, Texas won three national championships (1963, 1969, and 1970), won or shared 11 Southwest Conference championships, and made 16 bowl appearances.

This program had NEVER won anything until our homeboy Darrell went there, with his work ethic, his quotes, his practice technique, all learned at the knee of his mentor coach Bud Wilkinson!! Three national championships given to them by a Sooner football player. Their last one was coached by Mack Brown, WHO ALSO WAS AN ASSISTANT AT OU.
Tell your friends forget about the players who come here from texas, how about their three national championships given to them by 4 year star at OU, who is the connection to NCs from coaches. Homeboy was inducted into the OKLAHOMA Sports Hall of Fame in 2000.

MeMyself&Me
9/12/2010, 10:08 PM
This program had NEVER won anything until our homeboy Darrell went there, with his work ethic, his quotes, his practice technique, all learned at the knee of his mentor coach Bud Wilkinson!! Three national championships given to them by a Sooner football player. Their last one was coached by Mack Brown, WHO ALSO WAS AN ASSISTANT AT OU.
Tell your friends forget about the players who come here from texas, how about their three national championships given to them by 4 year star at OU, who is the connection to NCs from coaches. Homeboy was inducted into the OKLAHOMA Sports Hall of Fame in 2000.

This is always my reply to the lame "but you did it with Texas players" bit. Or more simply, I just remind them that they named their stadium after a Sooner.

I don't even understand why they think where the players came from is relevant. :O

bluedogok
9/12/2010, 10:15 PM
I cannot believe no one ever says
Darrell K Royal
I always bring up the fact that their stadium is named for an Okie and Sooner All-Americans and the fact that Mack was an assistant under Switzer....

This is always my reply to the lame "but you did it with Texas players" bit. Or more simply, I just remind them that they named their stadium after a Sooner.

I don't even understand why they think where the players came from is relevant. :O
...then I tell them there are so many recruits every year because of the population base that you can't sign more than 25 recruits or you would be in violation of NCAA rules so why does it matter where the rest of them go?
Then they give some line of crap about how they "want them to stay in Texas" and I tell them so you would rather A&M, Tech, Baylor, Rice or UTEP whip your butt with them instead of OU like what happened in the old SWC?

budbarrybob
9/12/2010, 11:47 PM
Thx for the post :D

Leroy Lizard
9/12/2010, 11:54 PM
UT's best basketball coach was also from Oklahoma.

They don't own up to that one either.

pweitkem
9/13/2010, 06:11 AM
Classy fans. I really enjoyed hanging out with them before and after the game. Looking forward to Tallahassee.

NoleMan
9/13/2010, 07:03 AM
B. The Bad

2. The wind. Wow, now I know why they wrote that into the song. -- NOLEMAN

We look forward to our visit to your house next year and I know the game will be much more competitive as your players get a full understanding of the new coach's systems.

BOOMER

To be fair, actually, game day was quite pleasant. Friday was another story, and this is coming from someone that lived in New Orleans for 3 years. It was MUGGY!

NoleMan
9/13/2010, 07:07 AM
Classy fans. I really enjoyed hanging out with them before and after the game. Looking forward to Tallahassee.

There's a web site most of us "classier" Noles (and maybe older) hang out on:

http://www.theterritory.org/

There is a GREAT tailgate, and since I know the Board Administrator, and some of the folks that organize, I will help acclimate you to Florida. ;)

I will say the majority of our fans, particularly the older ones, are very accommodating and classy. You will feel very welcomed by most, particularly since you're not a Gator or Cane. I will give you a heads up that our students can sometimes be over the top with the language and drinking, far more so than what I saw at OU, but nothing violent or anything to worry about. But they could use some good Midwest values and lessons from your kids.

texaspokieokie
9/13/2010, 11:01 AM
can't believe it was more humid than in fla.

badger
9/13/2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks for making the trip, NoleMan. If you spot the d!ckwads that yelled during the moment of silence back in Tallahassee, punch them in the gut for me ;)

jumperstop
9/13/2010, 12:30 PM
I will give you a heads up that our students can sometimes be over the top with the language and drinking, far more so than what I saw at OU, but nothing violent or anything to worry about. But they could use some good Midwest values and lessons from your kids.

That's cause they were getting drunk at their frat houses until 5 min before the game and left at half cause of the but woopin to the head to the bars. Must have just missed them, there are plenty of drunkies around OU.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/13/2010, 12:33 PM
To be fair, actually, game day was quite pleasant. Friday was another story, and this is coming from someone that lived in New Orleans for 3 years. It was MUGGY!

Dude, you're obviously getting soft from living in TN. There has never been a time when the humidity in OK has compared to the humidity in NOLA.

delhalew
9/13/2010, 01:16 PM
I did chuckle having someone from the south say it was humid. Having lived in Nawlins, Hotlanta, and Pensecola, it ain't humid here.
Also, if you think that was windy, you ain't seen nothing.:D. Hopefully you get to come back for one of those 40mph days.

NoleMan
10/15/2010, 11:31 PM
I would be remiss if I didn't come back out of the wood work to share some of the latest events at FSU with my new Sooner friends, given our prior conversations about women on the campus a few weeks ago.

Dayum.
:P

MNSFW?

http://www.bustedcoverage.com/?p=34476

Lott's Bandana
10/15/2010, 11:49 PM
I would be remiss if I didn't come back out of the wood work to share some of the latest events at FSU with my new Sooner friends, given our prior conversations about women on the campus a few weeks ago.

Dayum.
:P

MNSFW?

http://www.bustedcoverage.com/?p=34476

The comments below all the boobies aren't exactly examples of people playing nice nice.

NoleMan
10/16/2010, 12:06 AM
The comments below all the boobies aren't exactly examples of people playing nice nice.

Yeah. Too bad with that. Poor taste. Pictures are great though.

http://www.bustedcoverage.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/breezy-hupp-photo-1.jpg

Crucifax Autumn
10/16/2010, 05:00 AM

Just shows what dooshes some people still are.

85sooners
10/16/2010, 09:18 AM
:)