PDA

View Full Version : ? about LJ's fumble

ouwasp
9/11/2010, 06:25 PM
did anyone else think they heard a quick whistle? I thought maybe even if it were ruled a fumble, OU might catch a break...

OUthunder
9/11/2010, 06:27 PM
I thought the play was blown dead by the official.

BoulderSooner79
9/11/2010, 06:54 PM
They will call "continuation" on plays now - don't know if that includes a quick whistle (I didn't hear it). Regardless, it was the correct call.

rawlingsHOH
9/11/2010, 06:58 PM
yep, thought it was dead ball, unreviewable? maybe there has been a rule change.

BoulderSooner79
9/11/2010, 07:08 PM
I don't know the technical wording of the rule. But previously, if the ref called incomplete pass, it was dead. Now they say if there was obvious continuation (meaning, the players didn't stop playing), it is reviewable and if the play is ruled a fumble and recovered by the D, it holds up.

ouwasp
9/11/2010, 07:22 PM
thanks Boulder.... I was griping at the TV over that. Poor TV.

AlbqSooner
9/11/2010, 08:17 PM
What I don't understand is how they can rule that his arm had not started forward. His arm was behind his head when the ball got squirrely. If his arm had not started forward at that point, how did the ball move forward and land in front of him?

Doesn't matter, we still kicked their ***.

Crucifax Autumn
9/11/2010, 11:21 PM
I don't know the technical wording of the rule. But previously, if the ref called incomplete pass, it was dead. Now they say if there was obvious continuation (meaning, the players didn't stop playing), it is reviewable and if the play is ruled a fumble and recovered by the D, it holds up.

Thye need to be careful with that rule then. It's gonna end up leading to overplaying the play, late hits, and assorted other silliness if they aren't cautious about it.

HolaKyle
9/11/2010, 11:38 PM
The only problem I had with the play is that Murray had a chance to recover the football. He obviously didn't attempt to dive for it because of the early whistle.

Crucifax Autumn
9/11/2010, 11:39 PM
Yep, but on the next one he dived right on knowing that whistles apparently don't count anymore. At least it wasn't a Pac 10 crew, they woulda ran up to the line, backs to him, and declared it free shoes' ball.

BoulderSooner79
9/11/2010, 11:40 PM
Thye need to be careful with that rule then. It's gonna end up leading to overplaying the play, late hits, and assorted other silliness if they aren't cautious about it.

That was my reaction when I heard about the change (I think it went in last season). But so far, I haven't seen any problems and it has resulted in better calls. Usually, that quick whistle or blown call of arm moving forward is a big bail-out for the offense on a play where the defense has won the battle. This is a rule they just pulled over from the NFL and it's been working well there too.

thesnowbishop
9/11/2010, 11:59 PM
Yep, heard the same thing live: quick whistle by the ref ruling an incomplete pass, then the recovery. Just rewatched the game, and you can hear it in live action. I wasn't upset with the ruling, but I thought that technically it wasn't reviewable.

MeMyself&Me
9/12/2010, 12:01 AM
What I don't understand is how they can rule that his arm had not started forward. His arm was behind his head when the ball got squirrely. If his arm had not started forward at that point, how did the ball move forward and land in front of him?

This was my issue as well. If the ball goes forward when it comes out, how can you say that it came out while it was going backwards... just simple physics to me which say that is an incomplete pass.

But yeah, didn't matter in the end.

olevetonahill
9/12/2010, 12:04 AM

This, But Bro I tolt ya that when we talked ;)
Arm went forward, Ball went forward .
INCOMPLETE pass:P

silverwheels
9/12/2010, 12:09 AM
It was a fumble. Even if the ball came out after his arm had started its forward motion, the ball went backward, which would make it a lateral.

olevetonahill
9/12/2010, 12:13 AM
It was a fumble. Even if the ball came out after his arm had started its forward motion, the ball went backward, which would make it a lateral.

Guess me and ALBQ saw a dif. play then .
That ball went FORWARD
I taped it Ill look tomorry ;)

silverwheels
9/12/2010, 12:19 AM
The ball hit Demarco's leg, and he was standing behind Landry. It looked to me like it came out before his arm started its forward motion, but even if it didn't, it's a still a fumble. Doesn't matter, though, since we beat their asses.

olevetonahill
9/12/2010, 12:34 AM
The ball hit Demarco's leg, and he was standing behind Landry. It looked to me like it came out before his arm started its forward motion, but even if it didn't, it's a still a fumble. Doesn't matter, though, since we beat their asses.

This part is TRUE
Ill look tomorrow and say ALBQ needs to apologize if he were wrong :D

SoonerGM
9/12/2010, 11:59 AM
on tv(with a bunch of kids running around me at the time) it looked like the ball went out backwards.

soonerinabilene
9/12/2010, 12:12 PM
i think the difference is the fsu guy recovered it while lying on the ground, so it was dead then anyways,so he couldnt run with it, where as in the nfl he would have to be touched to be down.

bluedogok
9/12/2010, 01:11 PM
Guess me and ALBQ saw a dif. play then .
That ball went FORWARD
I taped it Ill look tomorry ;)
I thought that at first but when I saw the replay it came out of his hand early then he kind of "pushed" it with his open, now empty hand that made it look like it was coming out forward. It was a fumble.

cheezyq
9/12/2010, 01:16 PM
did anyone else think they heard a quick whistle? I thought maybe even if it were ruled a fumble, OU might catch a break...

I don't recall a fumble by LJ. I remember a forward pass that slipped out of his hands...but no fumble.

BoulderSooner79
9/12/2010, 01:40 PM
Crimson glasses never cease to amaze me. They are like magic.

Salt City Sooner
9/12/2010, 06:11 PM
Fumble all the way. Same thing that happened to Tyler Watts in Bama/OU in '02

ouwasp
9/12/2010, 06:39 PM
once I saw the replay, I figured it would be ruled a fumble. My original point was I supposed it (LJ's fumble) might be a non-play because of a quick whistle.

bluedogok
9/12/2010, 06:40 PM
once I saw the replay, I figured it would be ruled a fumble. My original point was I supposed it (LJ's fumble) might be a non-play because of a quick whistle.
I was hoping that but it never seemed to come up. Like maybe the officials didn't blow the whistle or didn't think about it during the numerous reviews.