PDA

View Full Version : Sooners looking to rid past problems

rawlingsHOH
9/10/2010, 09:27 AM
I see David Ubben subscribes to theory, they are only big games if you lose them.

Ridiculous!

The story of Oklahoma's 2009 season was injuries. From preseason camp to its appearance in the Sun Bowl, Oklahoma lost a Heisman-winning quarterback, an All-American tight end and a handful of offensive linemen, among others.

Two of those games were nonconference matchups with ranked teams BYU and Miami which were lost by a point away from Owen Field, effectively ending any national-title talk for the Sooners before conference play even arrived.

Saturday against No. 17 Florida State, they'll have another crack at a ranked nonconference opponent, a opportunity to snag the Big 12's biggest win early in 2010, and rid at least a few of the memories of a forgettable 2009.

"Just playing a tradition-rich, strong program that’s been recognized for championships. You recognize it as a big challenge," said coach Bob Stoops. "It would definitely be a boost, a boost in enthusiasm, excitement, confidence, all of that. It would definitely be helpful for both teams, who ever is able to [win]."

The Sooners lost their four biggest games of 2009 with one-possession losses to Texas and Nebraska, as well as a 41-13 loss to Texas Tech, all away from Norman.

A win Saturday against the Seminoles would be a step back toward 2008, when Oklahoma convincingly beat nonconference foes TCU and Cincinnati at home. But critics have been out in force after a win that was anything but convincing, a 31-24 triumph against Utah State, a team the Sooners beat 54-3 back in 2007.

"You gain confidence as a team as you go through the year in the way you play," Stoops said. "We played fairly inconsistently in our last game, so that needs to improve, so if it does and as it does, then I think your confidence kind of continues to grow."

Saturday will feature the marquee game of a difficult nonconference schedule that will close with Air Force and a trip to Cincinnati, and Stoops doesn't have to explain to his players the meanings of early season games already stocked with high stakes.

"[Our players] understand the ramifications and the magnitude of them," Stoops said. "The process of winning is your preparation through the week. Our routine stays pretty even through the week and throughout the year in how we approach them and how we get ready for them. So, that’s the only way to have some kind of consistency, regardless of who you’re playing."
http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/26586/sooners-looking-to-rid-past-problems

stoops the eternal pimp
9/10/2010, 09:35 AM
This is where I refrain from saying mean things about Ubben

SoonerPr8r
9/10/2010, 09:41 AM
I thought the guy before him was pretty bad, but leave it to espn to one up themselves

Okie35
9/10/2010, 09:51 AM
I thought the guy before him was pretty bad, but leave it to espn to one up themselves

+1

oudavid1
9/10/2010, 11:03 AM
Ubben is a 5'5 ***** elf and a ******** ##### thats dosnt know #### about football.

soonerbub
9/10/2010, 11:21 AM
He was at the daily Gaylord last year

KantoSooner
9/10/2010, 12:15 PM
Ah, that guy.

Well, at least I don't have to worry that he was forced to go work as the buttboy in a Bengali brothel.

goingoneight
9/10/2010, 12:31 PM
For last year, I'd have to say that's somewhat accurate. OSU is the last game of the season, so no matter how good or bad they are, it's always important not to drop that one. But if we manned up against Miami, Texas, Nebraska and at least given a half a shat about the Tech game, we're not even talking about a "big game" in the freakin Sun Bowl. Four of last year's five losses would have been wins if OUr team showed the heart and will to win in the second half that we showed versus KSU, OSU and Stanford.

rawlingsHOH
9/10/2010, 12:42 PM
For last year, I'd have to say that's somewhat accurate. OSU is the last game of the season, so no matter how good or bad they are, it's always important not to drop that one. But if we manned up against Miami, Texas, Nebraska and at least given a half a shat about the Tech game, we're not even talking about a "big game" in the freakin Sun Bowl. Four of last year's five losses would have been wins if OUr team showed the heart and will to win in the second half that we showed versus KSU, OSU and Stanford.
Simply put, OU lost it's biggest game of the the year, Texas.

After that, the BYU, Miami, and Nebraska games were billed no bigger than the OSU or Stanford games. Of course all games, when undefeated, are inherently bigger because more is potentially on the line.

CBUS_SOONER
9/10/2010, 06:20 PM
We win tomorrow and its not a big win... Lose and we lost another big one. These guys are clueless.