PDA

View Full Version : Coaches confident in Landry

Collier11
9/9/2010, 09:28 PM
Carey Murdock
SoonerScoop.com Editor

Landry Jones' season opener was a forgettable one for the sophomore quarterback. After Jones put together his most complete performance during last season's Sun Bowl victory over Stanford, it was expected Jones would come out a more confident, more polished quarterback in 2010.

That didn't happen as Jones completed just 17-of-36 passes for 217 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions against Utah State. It was a game that started out as a blowout victory, when the Sooners took a quick 21-0 lead, but they ended up squeaking out a 31-24 victory.

Jones came up with the bases loaded, and he just whiffed.

"I just didn't come out and play the way I'm capable of playing," Jones admitted on Tuesday.

Offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson theorized Jones was trying to be too perfect in his home opener. After all, Jones had been mentioned as a Heisman Trophy contender by at least one national media personality the week before the opener.

"I don't know if he just got a little concerned or a little rushed, I think he may have been pressing," said Wilson.

Oklahoma's offensive coordinator went on to describe a simple pass play to Ryan Broyles that summarized Jones' opener in his eyes.

"He was too quick," said Wilson. "It was a little outcut to Ryan and he undershot it. It was unreasonable quick."

Bob Stoops defended his quarterback by saying the offensive gameplan for Utah State was "held back", and that his quarterback was working with a limited playbook.

It's the job of coaches to protect their players from criticism. What is said in the film room isn't usually for public consumption. But Jones was so off kilter in his first outing, it was painfully obvious to Sooner fans who have sat through teams featuring Josh Heupel, Jason White and Sam Bradford, that Jones just had a really rough outing last week.

It was said many times by Stoops, Heupel and Wilson during the offseason that Jones needed the players around him to be better.

On Saturday night, Demarco Murray had 218 yards rushing. The running game was there.

Ryan Broyles caught nine passes for 142 yards and two touchdowns. The reliable receiver was also there. Cameron Kenney also stepped up and provided a solid second option for Jones.

The offensive line was solid, if not unspectacular.

What was missing, was the quarterback, and that was painfully obvious for everyone in the stadium to see. Even Bob Stoops was critical of Jones' performance in his post-game press conference.

It was easy for the casual fan to notice Jones' uneasiness in the pocket. On multiple occasions Jones' offensive line provided him a classic pocket. All he had to do was take a step or two forward and find the open man. But on multiple occasions Jones rolled out of the pocket and straight into pressure.

It was so obvious even his quarterbacks coach brought it up on Tuesday.

"He needs to trust his protection a little bit and sit in the pocket and make a couple of throws," said Heupel.

But the outing last weekend doesn't have Jones looking over his shoulder. The coaching staff is still behind their starting quarterback. Their focus is now on forgetting what happened against Utah State, and moving forward with their starting quarterback.

"He came out and played extremely well early in the ball game,' said Heupel. "A couple of things happened protectionally and some things on the back end, he maybe tried to escape the wrong direction in the pocket. Other than that, there's a lot of correctable things that he'll be able to hopefully correct and play better on Saturday."

"He needs to play better, and he has. He has all camp," added Wilson. "I don't think there's been many days when walked out there saying man, he wasn't good today. We were not alarmed, but surprised that he wasn't cleaner than we expected."

Jones can get better help from some of his young receivers like Kenny Stills. Jones relied on Stills early, but they never found a connection until later in the game. Their lack of chemistry was definitely a big part of the offense stalling out after taking a 21-0 lead.

Jones ended last season relying on Broyles, Jaz Reynolds and Dejuan Miller as his main receivers. This year he still has Broyles in the fold, but Stills, Kenney and Miller are all players Jones has to develop a better chemistry with on gamedays.

"We had a lot of young guys playing, and it is the first game and you're going to have those mistakes," said Jones. "But we need to get better from it, and we need to come out and play better against Florida State."

Jones also needs to be better in the pocket and more trusting that his protection will hold up. Being a bit more accurate wouldn't hurt matters either.

Landry Jones is still the quarterback who seemed to have a bright future at the end of 2009, but with Florida State coming to town, he won't have a very big margin of error. Jones is confident this week is already a better practice week than last.

And confident that will pay off for him and the offense on Saturday.

"Guys are starting to practice more with a purpose," said Jones. "We had a really good camp and all of that stuff, but once we got here (last) Monday, I felt that some people might have slowed down. I'll point the finger at myself (as well). I got into a lull last week on not going through my reads the way that I should have. But we have to put that behind us, and when we came out for practice, the attitude had definitely changed."

goingoneight
9/9/2010, 09:58 PM
I think every reasonable Sooner fan knows the guy is capable of better than that. Hopefully it's just a first game/nerves-kinda thing and not the dreaded sophomore slump.

TXBOOMER
9/9/2010, 10:25 PM
He had a shatty game. The ball is in his court to prove he can handle the pressure. According to everything I hear there are no alternatives at this point. So he is the man and he is gonna be the man good or bad.

goingoneight
9/10/2010, 08:28 AM
It's more than just what you hear, Drew Allen looked significantly less prepared for the role in the Spring and according to everyone, while he's looked good, Landry's supposedly taken off in terms of playbook, physically, etc. All it takes for any QB to look subpar, though is taking the wrong step into an outside rush instead of moving up in the pocket
or getting rid of the ball. He did all of those things fine last year, so it's not like he's incapable of solid play. He seems a lot like an OU version of Brett Favre... He stays four years he might lead every passing category in the record books. Doesn't mean he won't fire off some really bad games along the way.

Soonerwake
9/10/2010, 08:40 AM
[QUOTE=goingoneight;2945885] All it takes for any QB to look subpar, though is taking the wrong step into an outside rush instead of moving up in the pocket or getting rid of the ball. He did all of those things fine last year, so it's not like he's incapable of solid play.QUOTE]

I saw that too. On multiple occasions he stepped outside into the rush instead of stepping up. I felt for Demarco on at least 3 plays where the rusher was being pushed outside, and Landry stepped right into him even though there was no inside push. Looks like fixable stuff to me...

Okie35
9/10/2010, 08:57 AM
I saw that too. On multiple occasions he stepped outside into the rush instead of stepping up. I felt for Demarco on at least 3 plays where the rusher was being pushed outside, and Landry stepped right into him even though there was no inside push. Looks like fixable stuff to me...

Yea his mistakes are very fixable he did look like he wanted to rush thing even w/ protection. He might have felt pressured I don't know but I'm sure it was just getting back into the flow of things. I'm sure he'll play much better tomorrow.

sooneron
9/10/2010, 09:05 AM
I'm not comparing Jones to Favre, but last night's Saints/Vikes game, Favre seemed to have difficulty building chemistry with his receivers and he looked bad, too.
Hopefully, this offense will start to "click" and find it's persona along the way.

badger
9/10/2010, 10:12 AM
As we were watching the Auuuburn/MissSt matchup last night, NP mentioned that we highly sought the Aubie QB - a scrambler that occasionally threw. Like a VY/Robert Griffin type, but a juco transfer.

I was reminded that at one time, the coaches were also in hot pursuit of one Keith Nichol, even before the Big 12 Championship game to have Heupel and Stoops pay his Michigan house a visit, even though we already had soon-to-be-Heisman Sam Bradford on our roster.

So yeah, our coaches recruit other QB's like Blake Bell and Drew Allen, but I don't think that means they don't have confidence in the guy(s) they already have on roster. Healthy competition will always keep OU strong.

gaylordfan1
9/10/2010, 10:14 AM
Even if LJ has a subpar night this sat, opening the playbook will help tremendously ie. Murray in the flats, more screen plays, maybe a reverse here and there, and prob more reads down field. With that said, even with a simple set of about 8 different plays, he should have had them mastered by the second half last week.

gaylordfan1
9/10/2010, 10:17 AM
Yea, Newton looked smooth and kinda glided all over the place. He would have been a good get, but I don't see his style of QB here at OU. Not that I'm against having a dual threat QB (Bell). Besides, he didn't go with us because he knew he wasn't a shoe in as a starter.

jumperstop
9/10/2010, 10:21 AM
I'm glad they're confident, cause I'm not. I know there is a better Landry out there, lets just hope he shows up tomorrow.

madillsoonerfan5353
9/10/2010, 10:24 AM
Yea, Newton looked smooth and kinda glided all over the place. He would have been a good get, but I don't see his style of QB here at OU.

I wasn't that impressed with Cam Newton, I can't put my finger on it! IMO he is a poor man's VY? I'll take OUr Qb's we have now over Newton?

:gary:

Okie35
9/10/2010, 10:37 AM
I wasn't that impressed with Cam Newton, I can't put my finger on it! IMO he is a poor man's VY? I'll take OUr Qb's we have now over Newton?

:gary:

He's off to a better than VY his first year of PT... VY was absolutely terrrible at first.

http://www.burntorangenation.com/images/admin/vinceou03.jpg

Sooner04
9/10/2010, 10:38 AM
I'm glad the coaches are confident in Landry Jones. It would be bad form for them to throw him under the proverbial bus after one lousy performance.

But I'm not a coach, and I greatly fear the stache.

badger
9/10/2010, 10:44 AM
Yea, Newton looked smooth and kinda glided all over the place. He would have been a good get, but I don't see his style of QB here at OU. Not that I'm against having a dual threat QB (Bell). Besides, he didn't go with us because he knew he wasn't a shoe in as a starter.

Not impressed. They nearly lost to the SEC equivalent of Iowa State (the old school that got grandfathered in that you can't get rid of now... no offense to any Cyclones reading). Don't care if it was a road game, Auburn did not look good.

:P I, as an OU fan, probably should not be talking about other teams not looking good just yet.

cjames317
9/10/2010, 11:09 AM
Sam had a couple of crappy games too (Colorado, Iowa State). I trust OUr coaches.

XFollower
9/10/2010, 11:09 AM
Am I crazy to think that they should run Landry on a QB draw every once in a great while? The middle was open several times last week because they knew he was never going to run. I'd think a 5-8 yard run and slide would help.

BoulderSooner79
9/10/2010, 11:15 AM
What else are the coaches going to say? "I'm nervous that Jones has reached his level of incompetence and I'm yanking him at the first sign of trouble." ?

badger
9/10/2010, 11:19 AM
What else are the coaches going to say? "I'm nervous that Jones has reached his level of incompetence and I'm yanking him at the first sign of trouble." ?

Nimmo, find your helmet!
:P

OK2U
9/10/2010, 12:22 PM
ESPN:
Last season, Landry Jones (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=377845) completed 31.1 percent (29-93) of his passes beyond 15 yards.
Of that set of 93 passes, he threw two touchdowns and four interceptions (15-of-64) to receivers other than Ryan Broyles.
BUT, When he threw to Broyles, he completed 14-of-29 passes for six touchdowns and one interception.

Okie35
9/10/2010, 12:29 PM
ESPN:
Last season, Landry Jones (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=377845) completed 31.1 percent (29-93) of his passes beyond 15 yards.
Of that set of 93 passes, he threw two touchdowns and four interceptions (15-of-64) to receivers other than Ryan Broyles.
BUT, When he threw to Broyles, he completed 14-of-29 passes for six touchdowns and one interception.

aka Broyles is who he's most comfortable w/ and he's almost always open.

rawlingsHOH
9/10/2010, 12:32 PM
ESPN:
31% seems low, but I'd like to know what average is, I'm guessing under 50%, just for comparison.

MeMyself&Me
9/10/2010, 12:35 PM
Sam had a couple of crappy games too (Colorado, Iowa State). I trust OUr coaches.

Well, he played bad at Iowa State anyway.

goingoneight
9/10/2010, 12:43 PM
Jason White played favorites with Clayton, too. The Sun Bowl reminded me a lot of the 2003 Offense. All shotgun based, throwing it every down seemingly and one receiver that the opposition just couldn't stop to save their lives, though the other wideouts, backs and tight ends got a few passes too.
Broyles is like Clayton so much it's scary. I have no problem seeing him with the ball because he's like instant offense. I do wish, however, that the other guys would play more like they closed out the season last year. Miller, Reynolds and Stills have tremendous potential.

badger
9/10/2010, 01:16 PM
It's hard not to play favorites with receivers when they're so good at catching and diving backwards into the endzone, back-first :D:D:D:D:D:D

I am banking on Cam Kenney becoming the solid #2 receiving threat. Those stats won't show what we all saw, which was that Cam Kenney deserved a TD catch that was taken away on a stupid penalty that didn't make it any easier for him to get open or anything (although from the way Stoops reacted after that play Cam might have done something wrong in Bob's eyes, heh)

Sooner04
9/10/2010, 01:17 PM
The Sun Bowl reminded me a lot of the 2003 Offense. All shotgun based, throwing it every down seemingly and one receiver that the opposition just couldn't stop to save their lives, though the other wideouts, backs and tight ends got a few passes too.
I remember going deep a whole lot more in 2003. Jones and Bradley helped to stretch the field.

I also remember them scoring a whole lot more points. Heck of a lot more talent, I guess.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/10/2010, 01:34 PM
That 2003 team had deeper talent for sure..Some people will argue who has more talent Broyles or Clayton, but those other receivers on that 2003 team are light years ahead of what Broyles has to support him

And don't forget that Stanford team was one of the worst in the country against the pass...they could stop anybody last year from throwing the ball around on them

Sooner04
9/10/2010, 01:40 PM
That 2003 team had deeper talent for sure..Some people will argue who has more talent Broyles or Clayton, but those other receivers on that 2003 team are light years ahead of what Broyles has to support him.
What do Mark Clayton and Ryan Broyles have in common?

Both were complete recruiting afterthoughts by our staff.

Collier11
9/10/2010, 01:42 PM
Is Broyles half the blocker that Clayton was though?

starclassic tama
9/10/2010, 01:42 PM
i thought broyles was pretty highly sought after, he just committed to o-state early?

Collier11
9/10/2010, 01:46 PM
4 star

Sooner04
9/10/2010, 01:46 PM
i thought broyles was pretty highly sought after, he just committed to o-state early?
He was pretty highly sought after. Just not by us.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/10/2010, 01:47 PM

OU barely showed any attention to him til down the stretch

starclassic tama
9/10/2010, 01:53 PM
man, talk about a guy that is fun to watch... i really hope landry can put his receivers in positions to make some plays tomorrow, i don't think anybody in the country can shut down 85 if he gets the ball

badger
9/10/2010, 01:54 PM

Yeah, created a lot of angry pokes after we offered. He wavered a lot too between OU and OSU, then realized that no matter how many toys Boonester buys, they'll never compete for championships like OU.

:( he might have also thought he'd have four years of free gas, but I'd rather not think about that.

adoniijahsooner
9/10/2010, 02:26 PM

How are you defining "crappy"? In that Colorado game, Iglesias allowed a Buff Db to wrestle the ball away from him ala the Florida game. Sam also had to go to Malcolm Kelly on the sidelines and tell him to straighten up, because the team was watching his "crappy" attitude.

At ISU he was 16 of 28 with one interception. Defend Landry all you want, but please stay away from the Sam Bradford comparisons.

Sooner04
9/10/2010, 02:28 PM
Yeah, Sam helped provide us with a 24-7 lead in Boulder. It's not like he threw a couple of pick-6's or anything. The rest of the crew **** the bed.

Iowa State was not pretty, but it wasn't awful. Allen Patrick had a crucial fumble deep in ISU territory and we seemed to stay in a funk for a while afterward. Oh well, 17-7 road win.

goingoneight
9/10/2010, 02:29 PM
What do Mark Clayton and Ryan Broyles have in common?

Both were complete recruiting afterthoughts by our staff.

They were the same for Texas, Miami, FSU and other big programs at the time as well. Mostly because when you're going out there and building a team, there's thousands of kids who would love to play for you, hundreds who could play for you. You begin with some success after awhile to recruit based on measurables. I can't see Bob traveling to Metuchen, New Jersey for DeJuan Miller if he was 5'9, 155 lbs and a 4.5 at best. Doesn't mean he wouldn't end up at Rutgers and have 1200 yards receiving... all coaches do this. There's a lot of talent as Chris Petersen says "under a rock" out there, but if you're in the hunt for Adrian Peterson, Darren Sproles takes a backseat.
Another reason I don't trust recruiting services. If size, speed and stars always meant success, Adron Tennell, Tyler Stradford and Jameel Owens would have been All-Americans. I know this is the case more often than not, but still... I don't flip out if we recruit a guy out of eight man football in lil' ol' Dewar and I don't throw a fit because we got a skinny kid from OKC instead of Stephen Garcia.

adoniijahsooner
9/10/2010, 02:34 PM
They were the same for Texas, Miami, FSU and other big programs at the time as well. Mostly because when you're going out there and building a team, there's thousands of kids who would love to play for you, hundreds who could play for you. You begin with some success after awhile to recruit based on measurables. I can't see Bob traveling to Metuchen, New Jersey for DeJuan Miller if he was 5'9, 155 lbs and a 4.5 at best. Doesn't mean he wouldn't end up at Rutgers and have 1200 yards receiving... all coaches do this. There's a lot of talent as Chris Petersen says "under a rock" out there, but if you're in the hunt for Adrian Peterson, Darren Sproles takes a backseat.
Another reason I don't trust recruiting services. If size, speed and stars always meant success, Adron Tennell, Tyler Stradford and Jameel Owens would have been All-Americans. I know this is the case more often than not, but still... I don't flip out if we recruit a guy out of eight man football in lil' ol' Dewar and I don't throw a fit because we got a skinny kid from OKC instead of Stephen Garcia.

I think Landry was the seventh ranked qb coming out of high school. Just goes to show you.......:D

Collier11
9/10/2010, 02:36 PM
osu fans and fat boy Robert Allen thru a hissy fit over Broyles, accusing Stoops and crew of every slanderous thing they could think of

Sooner04
9/10/2010, 02:37 PM
Clayton I can understand. He was down in Arlington and we really only offered him a scholarship because we had one just sitting there.

But to slow play Broyles like that is inexcusable. He's playing his ball a mile up the road and you slow play him enough to where he seriously considers the Aggroids? C'mon.

C&CDean
9/10/2010, 02:38 PM
Sam didn't play well in the BYU or Texas games last year while he was in. Every QB has their bad days.

adoniijahsooner
9/10/2010, 02:39 PM

Seriously, when you look at guys like Sam, Colt, or even Shipley. They possess something that that recruiting services can't measure....heart, determination and a competitive fire! Does Landry have it? I guess we will see this season, because I cannot see him being our qb for the remainder of the year playing the way he did against USU.

Collier11
9/10/2010, 02:40 PM
If I remember correctly Sam was 10-14 with a TD and a lead against BYU, he wasnt playing great but certainly not bad, not that it matters now

C&CDean
9/10/2010, 02:40 PM
Clayton I can understand. He was down in Arlington and we really only offered him a scholarship because we had one just sitting there.

But to slow play Broyles like that is inexcusable. He's playing his ball a mile up the road and you slow play him enough to where he seriously considers the Aggroids? C'mon.

Dude, the kid was smaller than you. Probably still is. If I've got my choice between a 6'4" speed demon with 5 stars or a skinny midget from up the road I'm gonna slow play the dwarf. Nobody expected Broyles to turn out like he has.

sooner_born_1960
9/10/2010, 02:42 PM
I did.

adoniijahsooner
9/10/2010, 02:42 PM
Sam didn't play well in the BYU or Texas games last year while he was in. Every QB has their bad days.

I disagree.....BYU 10-14 96 td
That is some impressive struggling right there...oh, Tennell also dropped some passes on him.

rawlingsHOH
9/10/2010, 02:43 PM
Sam also had to go to Malcolm Kelly on the sidelines and tell him to straighten up, because the team was watching his "crappy" attitude.
That's ole Malcontent Kelly rearing his ugly head. Not a bad guy, everybody's wired differently. He's just different.

At ISU he was 16 of 28 with one interception. Defend Landry all you want, but please stay away from the Sam Bradford comparisons.
The ISU game was horrible. He was missing wide open deep balls for potentially easy TDs. Game could have been a rout. Amazingly, that was probably Sam's only truly bad game in his career here. CU he struggled some.

adoniijahsooner
9/10/2010, 02:47 PM
That's ole Malcontent Kelly rearing his ugly head. Not a bad guy, everybody's wired differently. He's just different.

The ISU game was horrible. He was missing wide open deep balls for potentially easy TDs. Game could have been a rout. Amazingly, that was probably Sam's only truly bad game in his career here. CU he struggled some.

Idk, when it comes to Sam I am just partial to everything he does. He cannot do any wrong in my book, because of what he accomplished and risked for his teammates. Then to still get drafted 1 overall, after all of that....he is the man.

C&CDean
9/10/2010, 02:48 PM
I disagree.....BYU 10-14 96 td
That is some impressive struggling right there...oh, Tennell also dropped some passes on him.

And how many passes did Landry get dropped last year? ****ing billions. How many times would a made FG or PAT have won us a game last year? ****ing billions. How bad was our O-line last year?

I ain't even comparing the two, I'm just saying Landry ain't as bad as some of y'all think. He had a **** game last Saturday. We managed to win. Unlike last year. This is the first year it's his team 100%. Give the boy a ****ing chance.

rawlingsHOH
9/10/2010, 02:48 PM
I don't throw a fit because we got a skinny kid from OKC instead of Stephen Garcia.

We actually got a skinny kid from Lowell, MI instead of Garcia (or Cam Newton, round one).

badger
9/10/2010, 02:50 PM
And how many passes did Landry get dropped last year? ****ing billions.

Very frustrating season with all of those dropped passes... you all were trying to blame my avatars :mad:

rawlingsHOH
9/10/2010, 02:51 PM

I think he only play 1.5 series v Texas, led us to a FG.

adoniijahsooner
9/10/2010, 02:53 PM
And how many passes did Landry get dropped last year? ****ing billions. How many times would a made FG or PAT have won us a game last year? ****ing billions. How bad was our O-line last year?

I ain't even comparing the two, I'm just saying Landry ain't as bad as some of y'all think. He had a **** game last Saturday. We managed to win. Unlike last year. This is the first year it's his team 100%. Give the boy a ****ing chance.

I dont think he is horrible. i was watching the USU game last night, and some of the passes he connected with Broyles with were beautiful tosses. he has everything he needs to succeed at this level, so I am hoping we have the next heisman winner on our hands......oh Dean, could you change my screen-name for me:D ?

adoniijahsooner
Very frustrating season with all of those dropped passes... you all were trying to blame my avatars :mad:

Oh, it was definitely your fault.

rawlingsHOH

It was awful, though I think the absolute worst was the Baylor game that Bradford started. 10-12 drops? It was crazy. At least the receivers improved 100% by OSU game.

Sooner04
9/10/2010, 02:55 PM
Dude, the kid was smaller than you. Probably still is. If I've got my choice between a 6'4" speed demon with 5 stars or a skinny midget from up the road I'm gonna slow play the dwarf. Nobody expected Broyles to turn out like he has.
Before they started counting bowl games in overall statistics, our school's all-time leading rusher was "Little" Joe Washington.

The NCAA's all-time leader in YPC for a season was Greg Pruitt, who MIGHT be 5'9''

I'm not sure how many players we have in the Pro Football HOF, but I do know Tommy McDonald is in there. And he ain't big either.

If there's a really good player tearing up the competition right there in your backyard, you offer him. End of story. It doesn't matter if he's 5'6'' or 6'7'', you offer him.

KantoSooner
9/10/2010, 02:57 PM
beat me to it

KantoSooner
9/10/2010, 02:58 PM
sorry, comment to a different post. Never mind....

BoulderSooner79
9/10/2010, 03:02 PM

Sam struggled with the wind that day and never could judge the deep ball. It was blowing 30mph+ as I remember.

rawlingsHOH
9/10/2010, 03:06 PM
Yes, I remember the Fox Sports people saying it was a windy day. Boxscore only lists the wind at 5-10 mph, but I think that is just at kickoff.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2007-2008/08_isu.html

Tear Down This Wall
9/10/2010, 03:09 PM
The problem isn't Landry. Although, you've got to admire him for not pointing the finger at his teammates (yet).

The problem is that he has one guy to throw to - Broyles. Everyone else can't run the routes or drops the ball. Sadly, they couldn't get open against Utah State.

Plus, there will apparently be no tight end threat (just like last year and the years between Trent Smith and Jermaine Gresham) to help him out either. That'll free up 'backers and safeties on opposing defenses.

Sadly, if the season bogs down like last year, Landry will get the blame. But, he'll deserve better. And, Stoops won't fire anyone, so the receivers coach who hasn't been able to get players like Miller and Tennell and others to improve after several years will stay.

The days when Spurrier Jr. had freshmen and redshirt freshmen ready to go from the time they stepped onto the field is long gone.

Sooner04
9/10/2010, 03:13 PM
The days when Spurrier Jr. had freshmen and redshirt freshmen ready to go from the time they stepped onto the field is long gone.
Man, you ain't kidding. We won a national championship with a bunch of option quarterbacks at wide receiver.

badger
9/10/2010, 03:13 PM
Oh, it was definitely your fault.

pbbth - you probably think my avvie caused Kenney's TD to get negated too.... but then you'd forget that killer Little Joe channeling hurdle he had on that return :D

http://blog.newsok.com/photo/wp-content/imagescaler/47f1fb6800b053c4a4dfc3b5558dc511.jpg

It's not perfect, but it was still pretty cool :D

BoulderSooner79
9/10/2010, 03:15 PM
The announcers may have been exaggerating on wind speed, but the ISU game was clearly wind affected. Any ball that got high was pushed around including punts. The deep ball was probably Sam's biggest weakness in '07 and biggest improvement going into '08. MK made some spectacular catches in '07 on long balls because he had to - Sam didn't hit him in stride on many.

oudivesherpa
9/10/2010, 03:36 PM
Last Saturday, I think Landry thought it was an away game.

GKeeper316
9/10/2010, 03:39 PM
from what i heard last night (coming from a very reliable source) landry didnt sleep or eat for the 2 days leading up to the game.

Collier11
9/10/2010, 03:40 PM
he needs to get those nerves under control then

badger
9/10/2010, 03:40 PM
from what i heard last night (coming from a very reliable source) landry didnt sleep or eat for the 2 days leading up to the game.

too worried about whitney on crutches.

a reliable source told me ;)

(not really)

Okie35
9/10/2010, 03:42 PM
The problem isn't Landry. Although, you've got to admire him for not pointing the finger at his teammates (yet).

The problem is that he has one guy to throw to - Broyles. Everyone else can't run the routes or drops the ball. Sadly, they couldn't get open against Utah State.

Plus, there will apparently be no tight end threat (just like last year and the years between Trent Smith and Jermaine Gresham) to help him out either. That'll free up 'backers and safeties on opposing defenses.

Sadly, if the season bogs down like last year, Landry will get the blame. But, he'll deserve better. And, Stoops won't fire anyone, so the receivers coach who hasn't been able to get players like Miller and Tennell and others to improve after several years will stay.

Not when he rushes his throws... he rushed over a few last week. For the most part I agree w/ what you said though other receivers need to step up, ex: the Stanford game.

KantoSooner
9/10/2010, 04:06 PM
he needs to get those nerves under control then

I thought we'd hired some zippidee doo dah left coast counseling outfit (endorsed by Saban) that was going to turn all our players into zen masters of focus and 'win'.
what happened with that?

(and, yes, I'm not big on 'consultants')

Whet
9/10/2010, 04:16 PM
I thought Carmen was the OU Sports psychologist on staff?

StoopTroup
9/12/2010, 10:04 AM
Not when he rushes his throws... he rushed over a few last week. For the most part I agree w/ what you said though other receivers need to step up, ex: the Stanford game.

LMAO

StoopTroup
9/12/2010, 10:05 AM
I thought we'd hired some zippidee doo dah left coast counseling outfit (endorsed by Saban) that was going to turn all our players into zen masters of focus and 'win'.
what happened with that?

(and, yes, I'm not big on 'consultants')

LMAO

StoopTroup
9/12/2010, 10:06 AM
Last Saturday, I think Landry thought it was an away game.

He must have thought yesterday was a National Championship.

StoopTroup
9/12/2010, 10:09 AM

Your psychic and fortune telling abilities are off a bit this year IMO.

I'd drink two shots of OVJ and repost in the morning.