PDA

View Full Version : When was the last time...

CBUS_SOONER
9/9/2010, 03:05 PM
OU scored a TD or field goal late (like Boise the other night) to come from behind and win a game(s). Seems like we haven't done it very often as of late. Just wondering

landrun
9/9/2010, 03:10 PM
Last I can remember is against Bama when Works had a great run for us to get us close to scoring - which we eventually did and won the game.

rawlingsHOH
9/9/2010, 03:12 PM
Last minute come from behind wins are rare for any team, especially for a team that wins 80% of their games to begin win.

OU trailed in the 4th quarter against Mizzou in 2007 and against Tech in 2006, though not last minute.

CBUS_SOONER
9/9/2010, 03:12 PM
It just seems that if we are losing in the 4th or even at half, we never win.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/9/2010, 03:16 PM
I guess to get to the bottom of this, somebody needs to figure out exactly how many games OU has behind at the half or in the 4th..

85sooners
9/9/2010, 03:18 PM
:gary:

PDXsooner
9/9/2010, 03:26 PM
Great question. There was a nasty stretch there when OU lost a LOT of games on the final play.

T Tech in '05 (The BS no TD)
Oregon in '06 (replay-gate)
Boise St in '07 Fiesta
Colorado in '07 (last second FG)
BYU by 1 in '09
Miami by 1 in '09
Texas by 3 in '09
Nebraska in '09

Really, the last game in which OU actually won on the final play (or plays) of the game was at OSU in '06 when they dropped a TD that would have won it in the end zone at the end.

rawlingsHOH
9/9/2010, 03:28 PM

Simply not true.

Hell, Stanford TWO games ago.

rawlingsHOH
9/9/2010, 03:30 PM
Great question. There was a nasty stretch there when OU lost a LOT of games on the final play.

T Tech in '05 (The BS no TD)
Oregon in '06 (replay-gate)
Boise St in '07 Fiesta
Colorado in '07 (last second FG)
BYU by 1 in '09
Miami by 1 in '09
Texas by 3 in '09
Nebraska in '09

Really, the last game in which OU actually won on the final play (or plays) of the game was at OSU in '06 when they dropped a TD that would have won it in the end zone at the end.
If you are including games like 09 Texas and 09 Miami, why wouldn't you include 10 Utah St or 09 Stanford, etc?

PDXsooner
9/9/2010, 03:35 PM
If you are including games like 09 Texas and 09 Miami, why wouldn't you include 10 Utah St or 09 Stanford, etc?

Good point. The first four I listed for sure. After that it's a stretch. Either way, the last four years the trend is certainly that in close games (less than a TD) we will lose. Just a fact.

rawlingsHOH
9/9/2010, 03:40 PM
Good point. The first four I listed for sure. After that it's a stretch. Either way, the last four years the trend is certainly that in close games (less than a TD) we will lose. Just a fact.

Yet ironically, we've won the last 2 games played by a touchdown in each. Saying 6 points is considered close, but 7 not? That's silly.

Seems more coincidence than substance.

sooneron
9/9/2010, 03:40 PM
Does Baylor in OT count?

PDXsooner
9/9/2010, 03:46 PM
Look, I'm pointing out what would be obvious to anyone objective. Establish your own number. What's close to you? Hell, call it six points. Call it one, call it three.

In games won by 6 points or less we are 3-7 since 2006.

In games that came down to the last play of the game, where there was a truly realistic shot for either team to win, I can't remember winning one since 2006. Can you? I can name several of those that we lost.

PDXsooner
9/9/2010, 03:47 PM
Does Baylor in OT count?

Of course. But I was talking recent trends. I'm sure we could go back in time and find plenty. But that was midway through 2005.

oumartin
9/9/2010, 03:47 PM
Does Baylor in OT count?

beat me to it.

rawlingsHOH
9/9/2010, 03:50 PM
In games that came down to the last play of the game, where there was a truly realistic shot for either team to win, I can't remember winning one since 2006. Can you? I can name several of those that we lost.

Does 06 Texas A&M in College Station count?

PDXsooner
9/9/2010, 03:51 PM
Just out of curiosity, I went back to look at games decided by a touchdown or less. I chose a touchdown because it's simply one score. Since Stoops got here we are 13-7 from '99 - '05 and 6-8 since '06. 19-15 overall. Still good.

PDXsooner
9/9/2010, 03:53 PM
Games decided by three or less since '06: 1-6

Mississippi Sooner
9/9/2010, 03:54 PM
All I can tell from the stats is that we are undefeated when we score more points than the other team.

PDXsooner
9/9/2010, 03:55 PM
Does 06 Texas A&M in College Station count?

1-6 by games decided by a field goal or less since 2006. Not good.

rawlingsHOH
9/9/2010, 03:55 PM
Look, I'm pointing out what would be obvious to anyone objective. Establish your own number. What's close to you? Hell, call it six points. Call it one, call it three.

In games won by 6 points or less we are 3-7 since 2006.

And if you simply move that number to 7.

Miraculously it moves to 6-8.

WINS...
UAB
A&M
OSU
Texas
Stanford
Utah St

LOSSES...
Oregon
Boise
Colorado
Tech
BYU
Miami
Texas
Nebraska

rawlingsHOH
9/9/2010, 03:57 PM
Close games are coin flips. So basically what you are saying is OU is 6-8 in coin flips.

Alarming trend or mere happenstance?

Don't mean to let my Sabermatrician side show, but seriously.

sooneron
9/9/2010, 03:59 PM

Remove one key injury from last year and you probably have 5-2, 4-3 at worst.

slim margin for error, cfb has...

rawlingsHOH
9/9/2010, 04:00 PM

And 3-0 in night games played in Decemeber in the state of Texas.

PDXsooner
9/9/2010, 04:02 PM
Wow, this is an interesting debate. Maybe you're one of those guys that feels the need to automatically defend OU in every situation. I'm not sure. I don't know what your point is. Regardless of what the number is, it's a losing record over the last 4 years. And for a team that wins as much as OU that's not a good trend.

PDXsooner
9/9/2010, 04:03 PM
Remove one key injury from last year and you probably have 5-2, 4-3 at worst.

slim margin for error, cfb has...

Yes, but we can't remove a key injury so let's not go there.

rawlingsHOH
9/9/2010, 04:03 PM
And if you simply move that number to 7.

Miraculously it moves to 6-8.

WINS...
UAB
A&M
OSU
Texas
Stanford
Utah St

LOSSES...
Oregon
Boise
Colorado
Tech
BYU
Miami
Texas
Nebraska

And if you simply change the season threshold from 2006 to 2005...

Again, miraculously the record moves to 10-10.

PDXsooner
9/9/2010, 04:04 PM
Close games are coin flips. So basically what you are saying is OU is 6-8 in coin flips.

Alarming trend or mere happenstance?

Don't mean to let my Sabermatrician side show, but seriously.

I don't agree that they are coin flips. I think there are variables involved such as coaching decisions, player's decisions, poise, situational recognition, etc. Again, I'm not saying it will continue or that we won't begin to win these games, but it's more than a mere coin flip.

PDXsooner
9/9/2010, 04:05 PM
And if you simply change the season threshold from 2006 to 2005...

Again, miraculously the record moves to 10-10.

You win. OU wins their close games. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good point.

rawlingsHOH
9/9/2010, 04:06 PM
Wow, this is an interesting debate. Maybe you're one of those guys that feels the need to automatically defend OU in every situation. I'm not sure. I don't know what your point is. Regardless of what the number is, it's a losing record over the last 4 years. And for a team that wins as much as OU that's not a good trend.

My point is it is FAR to small of a sample size to draw any strong conclusions either way.

And structuring your statistics such as... 6 points/close, 7 points/not close... ruins any credibility you are trying give your belief.

rawlingsHOH
9/9/2010, 04:07 PM
You win. OU wins their close games. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good point.

Right! Because that is what I've been saying.

Whoosh!!!

tator
9/9/2010, 04:23 PM

I'd be interested to see what our record is when the victory margin is, say.... 8 or greater. I think what we're seeing here is that when OU loses games, they don't lose by much.

stoopified
9/9/2010, 05:19 PM
Most of the games in he Stoops Era are decided by double digits,both wins and losses.Last years slew of injury fueled close losses skews the record.

SoonerBacker
9/9/2010, 05:25 PM

Yeah, Stoops has obviously lost his edge. Fire Stoops! :rolleyes:

XingTheRubicon
9/9/2010, 05:29 PM
Switzer was 18-1 in games decided by 3 or less.

Stoops is 1-6 in his last 7 games decided by 3 or less.

This coaching staff panics in dogfights. I hate typing that, but the truth sucks sometimes.

sooner KB
9/9/2010, 05:48 PM

This coaching staff panics in dogfights. I hate typing that, but the truth sucks sometimes.

Why use Switzer's entire career, but the only the last 7 games for Stoops? Seems like you are cherry picking to get a point across. There could be a reasonable explanation. The first one that comes to my head is the fact that many of those last 7 games came from last season. Perhaps younger, less experienced players tend to do worse in close games that go down to the wire. Perhaps a Sam Bradford would have been able to pull us out of some of those. Perhaps tight ends that just got converted to tackle would not have had as much confidence when things got shaky at the end of games and hearts started pumping a little faster.

Just a theory of course. I don't think the simple 1-6 stat is proof that the coaching staff "panics in dogfights." As others have pointed out, when you go back further (as one should, especially if you are trying to imply things about our coaching staff), you find it's about 50/50, as you would expect in close games.

Also, the 18-1 stat for Switzer is interesting, assuming it is correct. Quick research revealed that you omitted 4 ties, which were obviously games decided by less than 3 points. I think someone else might have pointed this out, but it might be more revealing to look at average margin of loss between Stoops and Switzer. It could be that when Switzer lost, he just usually lost by more than 3 points. It could be that Switzer was more likely to either win by a lot or lose by a lot, and Stoops is more likely to have close games. In fact, thinking about that fact that Switzer coached 190 games, 18 wins by less than 3 seems very low. It makes it seem like he just didn't have a lot of close games, period.

Edit: After crunching the numbers, I found that the average margin of loss for Switzer was 11.17 and the average margin of loss for Stoops is currently 10.58. Basically the same. One thing that was interesting was that Switzer's loss margins had much less variance than Stoops'. In other words, Switzers loss margins tended to be much closer to the average. In other words, Stoops has a lot of really close losses by 1 or 2 or 3 points, but also a lot of devastating losses. Most of Switzer's losses didn't deviate much; he had much more "normal" losses--not a lot of close ones or blowouts.

CBUS_SOONER
9/9/2010, 06:13 PM

PDX you are right on. Lately it is not even close.

CBUS_SOONER
9/9/2010, 06:15 PM
Last minute come from behind wins are rare for any team, especially for a team that wins 80% of their games to begin win.

OU trailed in the 4th quarter against Mizzou in 2007 and against Tech in 2006, though not last minute.

So a team that wins 60 % is gonna pull out more wins then a team that wins 80 %:confused:

CBUS_SOONER
9/9/2010, 06:20 PM
Yeah, Stoops has obviously lost his edge. Fire Stoops! :rolleyes:

thats the dumbest thing i heard all night. And I teach 7th graders.

CBUS_SOONER
9/9/2010, 06:22 PM

I agree 100% When things are ez we look great. when its tough not so much. We have been kinda like a bully.

CBUS_SOONER
9/9/2010, 06:23 PM
PDX Sooner, thanks for the facts and being objective. Nice work to all... interesting stuff

CBUS_SOONER
9/9/2010, 06:24 PM
Hey... where did everyone go?????

SoonerBacker
9/9/2010, 06:28 PM
thats the dumbest thing i heard all night. And I teach 7th graders.

If you teach 7th graders, you ought to know SARCASM when you read it!

I am just tired of all of the gloom and doom that has been so prevalent on this board since last Saturday. Yes, we have areas to be concerned about, but there have been a LOT of people (or maybe it just seems that way) suggesting that Stoops can't win the BIG ones anymore, that Heuple should go, that LJones is a liability, etc...Someone even predicted a losing season for OU this year!

Let's stop all of this Bravo Sierra and just get behind the Sooners, do our part to make Memorial Stadium a freaking snake pit on Saturday. Our crowd has got to make so much noise this week that they'll be able to hear us in Talahassee! We have beaten this gloomy horse to DEATH!

TUSooner
9/9/2010, 06:35 PM

I agree 100% When things are ez we look great. when its tough not so much. We have been kinda like a bully.

I don't know if the "staff panics" or what, but I have sensed that trend. And the most recent years tend to back it up, based on what's been cited in this thread. We seem to be a team that beats the crap out of inferior opponents, but loses its collective nerve in dogfights. If the facts tell that story, then all the huffy indignation in the world doesn't change that reality. This all tells me that we win with talent, but not guts and character. "Sooner Magic" is nothing more than guts in the clutch. Has anyone seen that lately? And yes, I believe that is attributable to coaching more than any other thing. (It also helps to have a cold-blooded, reliable kicker.)

Let's stop all of this Bravo Sierra and just get behind the Sooners, do our part to make Memorial Stadium a freaking snake pit on Saturday. Our crowd has got to make so much noise this week that they'll be able to hear us in Talahassee! We have beaten this gloomy horse to DEATH!

This is the right approach for the fans, but it doesn't mean we haven't lost some tight ones.

CBUS_SOONER
9/9/2010, 06:39 PM

I am just tired of all of the gloom and doom that has been so prevalent on this board since last Saturday. Yes, we have areas to be concerned about, but there have been a LOT of people (or maybe it just seems that way) suggesting that Stoops can't win the BIG ones anymore, that Heuple should go, that LJones is a liability, etc...Someone even predicted a losing season for OU this year!

I wouldn't get worked up over what others say... Who cares!!!!!

PDXsooner
9/9/2010, 06:42 PM
PDX Sooner, thanks for the facts and being objective. Nice work to all... interesting stuff

No sweat. I just find it interesting, and worthy of discussion. Rawlings played the "Crimson glasses" card and felt he needed to refute the facts and take to defending OU for whatever reason.

I'm not even trying to suggest a theory. Either way, I'd like to see the trend change.

XingTheRubicon
9/9/2010, 07:04 PM
Why use Switzer's entire career, but the only the last 7 games for Stoops? Seems like you are cherry picking to get a point across. There could be a reasonable explanation. The first one that comes to my head is the fact that many of those last 7 games came from last season. Perhaps younger, less experienced players tend to do worse in close games that go down to the wire. Perhaps a Sam Bradford would have been able to pull us out of some of those. Perhaps tight ends that just got converted to tackle would not have had as much confidence when things got shaky at the end of games and hearts started pumping a little faster.

Just a theory of course. I don't think the simple 1-6 stat is proof that the coaching staff "panics in dogfights." As others have pointed out, when you go back further (as one should, especially if you are trying to imply things about our coaching staff), you find it's about 50/50, as you would expect in close games.

Also, the 18-1 stat for Switzer is interesting, assuming it is correct. Quick research revealed that you omitted 4 ties, which were obviously games decided by less than 3 points. I think someone else might have pointed this out, but it might be more revealing to look at average margin of loss between Stoops and Switzer. It could be that when Switzer lost, he just usually lost by more than 3 points. It could be that Switzer was more likely to either win by a lot or lose by a lot, and Stoops is more likely to have close games. In fact, thinking about that fact that Switzer coached 190 games, 18 wins by less than 3 seems very low. It makes it seem like he just didn't have a lot of close games, period.

Edit: After crunching the numbers, I found that the average margin of loss for Switzer was 11.17 and the average margin of loss for Stoops is currently 10.58. Basically the same. One thing that was interesting was that Switzer's loss margins had much less variance than Stoops'. In other words, Switzers loss margins tended to be much closer to the average. In other words, Stoops has a lot of really close losses by 1 or 2 or 3 points, but also a lot of devastating losses. Most of Switzer's losses didn't deviate much; he had much more "normal" losses--not a lot of close ones or blowouts.

You may want to look up the word "decided." The lone loss came in '78 when Billy fumbled on the 3. And if you want to include the ties...then in Switzer's 23 games that ended in a 3 point margin or less, he lost one. One.

I love Stoops, and if he came over, I'd tell him he could have any rug in the house. However, the numbers are the numbers. I can't change them or change what they represent. I do understand those of you arguing Stoops' side of this, I seriously do...and I assume it must be difficult to get an accurate view when your line of sight is hindered by the walls of Bob's rectum.

jumperstop
9/9/2010, 07:14 PM
You guys really get into over these opinion questions. I didn't really think there was a debate, OU is not good if the game is close in the forth quarter. Don't need stats or any of that, just going off the fact that I have been at most games over the past 5 years and pretty much every home game under Stoops. If it's crunch time and we need a score or a defensive stop, it normally doesn't come through.

sooner KB
9/9/2010, 07:22 PM
I love Stoops, and if he came over, I'd tell him he could have any rug in the house. However, the numbers are the numbers. I can't change them or change what they represent. I do understand those of you arguing Stoops' side of this, I seriously do...and I assume it must be difficult to get an accurate view when your line of sight is hindered by the walls of Bob's rectum.

I guess my point is, the numbers don't necessarily prove that Stoops is bad in close games. It may be totally true, I'm just trying to point out you can't prove that just based on numbers.

First off, you are assuming close games that are lost are automatically or usually the coaches fault. I don't see any basis for the assumption. In fact, in a game decided by 3 points or less, one fumble or one penalty could have changed the outcome of the game. Lack of execution by players is just as much of a reason for loss as coaching, and in a close game it just takes one mishap by a player.

Second off, and this is related to the first point, you are assuming we should have won all of those games, but Bob just couldn't pull us through. There is no reason to automatically assume that. Maybe in a lot of those games we were simply outmatched and were the inferior team. For all we know, it could be the case that if any other coach had been coaching the games, including Switzer, we would have lost by 4 points, or a touchdown, or 2 touchdowns.

In conclusion, I'll stick by my theory that the "recent" trend is due to last year's injuries and inexperienced players such as Landry who didn't have a lot of poise. And once again, going back further you find it's about 50/50. In really close games (3 points or less), it really is a coin flip when one dropped pass or one fumble can decide the game. When it comes down to the wire, all the coach can do is call a play and count on his players to execute it. I don't know why Switzer had such a great close game record, maybe he really did have some special coaching ability in that department, but I would bet if you looked at other successful coaches' records that you basically would find the same thing: that coaches are basically 50/50 when it comes to games decided by 3 points or less.

Edit: Also, I meant to point out but forgot: I'm actually much more concerned with the staff's tendency to lose games that should have been close by large margins (like the USC championship game, the WVU fiesta bowl, etc). These are more glaring to me, and seem more likely to be the coaching staff's fault than close losses. I have more expectations for the coaches to prevent total meltdowns than for them to conjure up some good plays in the closing minutes of a close, hard fought game.

rawlingsHOH
9/9/2010, 07:30 PM
So a team that wins 60 % is gonna pull out more wins then a team that wins 80 %:confused:

The Baltimore Orioles are the worst team in Major League Baseball, yet are 25-19 in one-run games, and 11-3 in extra inning games.

Winning close games is more related to luck than skill.

Since OU is about .500 in the last 5 years, in close (one score) games, that accurately reflects that.

CBUS_SOONER
9/9/2010, 08:01 PM
The Baltimore Orioles are the worst team in Major League Baseball, yet are 25-19 in one-run games, and 11-3 in extra inning games.

Winning close games is more related to luck than skill.

Since OU is about .500 in the last 5 years, in close (one score) games, that accurately reflects that.

Winning close games has more to do with luck???? I would argue against that any day of the week.

CBUS_SOONER
9/9/2010, 08:02 PM
You guys really get into over these opinion questions. I didn't really think there was a debate, OU is not good if the game is close in the forth quarter. Don't need stats or any of that, just going off the fact that I have been at most games over the past 5 years and pretty much every home game under Stoops. If it's crunch time and we need a score or a defensive stop, it normally doesn't come through.

Stated perfectly... Whenever the game is in doubt in the 4th quarter... we lose

rawlingsHOH
9/9/2010, 08:06 PM
Winning close games has more to do with luck???? I would argue against that any day of the week.

You're right, the Orioles are kickass.

rawlingsHOH
9/9/2010, 08:07 PM

Right, like against Stanford and against Utah State.

Our youth are in your hands? Scary!

CBUS_SOONER
9/9/2010, 08:07 PM
Can't argue with a guy who references the orioles in an argument. lmfao

rawlingsHOH
9/9/2010, 08:10 PM
Can't argue with a guy who references the orioles in an argument. lmfao

Those who can't do, teach. lmfao

CBUS_SOONER
9/9/2010, 08:11 PM
ok most of the time we lose. Nice that you make it personal. You are that parent that always thinks their child is correct.

rawlingsHOH
9/9/2010, 08:15 PM
ok most of the time we lose. Nice that you make it personal. You are that parent that always thinks their child is correct.

No, not most. You simply ignore the real facts and have zero common sense. Typical.

Thank you for socialist America!

CBUS_SOONER
9/9/2010, 08:19 PM
No, not most. You simply ignore the real facts and have zero common sense. Typical.

Wow! Why so bitter. I'm as far from being socialist as you can be. You hate teachers(prob because you were pushed to hard), you hate those who are objective, and now you hate america??? I pray for you my friend:)

sozo
9/9/2010, 11:57 PM
Bobby Warmack might can answer the original question!:rolleyes:
Not really,just seems that way.lol

PDXsooner
9/10/2010, 12:25 AM

What in the holy hell is that supposed to mean? What an absolutely retarded thing to say.

CBUS_SOONER
9/10/2010, 07:07 AM
What in the holy hell is that supposed to mean? What an absolutely retarded thing to say.

consider the source

CincySooner
9/10/2010, 08:23 AM
Either way, the last four years the trend is certainly that in close games (less than a TD) we will lose. Just a fact.

Wrong... here's the close (1TD or less in the 4th) games that OU has won in the last 4 years.
Utah St. 10 - won by 7
Stanford 09 - won by 4
K State 09 - 5 pt game in the 4th
Ok State 08 - 3 pt game in the 4th
Iowa St. 07 - 7 pt game until 2 minutes left in the 4th
Mizzou 07 - trailed by 1 in the 4th
saxeT 07 - won by 7
Ok State 06 - won by 6
T-Tech 06 - trailed by 4 in the 4th
A&M 06 - won by 1
UAB - won by 7

OU has lost some tough games recently, but we've also pulled out some wins too.

EDIT: to add other posters' quotes.

jumperstop
9/10/2010, 10:03 AM
Wrong... here's the close (1TD or less in the 4th) games that OU has won in the last 4 years.
Utah St. 10 - won by 7
Stanford 09 - won by 4
saxeT 07 - won by 7
Ok State 06 - won by 6
A&M 06 - won by 1
UAB - won by 7

If you notice in my original post I said,
If it's crunch time and we need a score or a defensive stop, it normally doesn't come through., not always doesn't...I'm not trying to say we never win close games. Acctually, going back and eyeballing the "close" results the past few years I would say it's pretty even on winning and losing those close games. It's just that I think a school as prestigious as OU and with a good coach should be able to come through and win more than half of the close cames. Also, a lot of those close games that you listed that we won were against sub par teams. Not saying that a close win isn't a win, but those are games that we should win. Games vs Texas, Bowl games, and our non conference last season are games that are more high profile. Those are games where we needed those stops or scores and didn't get them. It may just be fresh on the minds of the fans because there were a lot of close games last season, or close scores in marquee games are more memorable, especially when we lose. So really, I guess I'm kinda taking both sides. I understand that OU wins about half of it's close games, but it's hella frustrating in those big games like MNC in 08 we couldn't put together a couple of good scoring drives late in the second half to get back in it when we need to. I guess I never feel too confident when the big game is close in the end is what I'm saying. I feel like our coaching staff becomes conservative late in close games.

I will stop now, sorry if my rambling while trying to play devil's advocate was too dumb.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/10/2010, 10:03 AM
I've enjoyed it...

Sooner04
9/10/2010, 10:09 AM
Close games are coin flips.
Then you have to admit that Barry Switzer was the luckiest SOB to ever walk the Earth!

Joe
9/10/2010, 10:28 AM

Hey man if you're tired of the discussion use the big red X at the top of your screen.

What I'd like to see is a statistic on whether the defense or offense "loses" or "wins" the game for Bob in close games and the same for Switzer. In other words, what was the last score of close games and who scored it? Was Switzer losing a bunch of his games but pulled through with a TD late? Was Bob losing for most of these games but came back strong only to fall short?

Btw, nice thread for lovers of math and statistics like me. Thanks for creating it and all the good discussion that followed.

TUSooner
9/10/2010, 10:46 AM
Utah St. 10 - won by 7
Stanford 09 - won by 4
saxeT 07 - won by 7
Ok State 06 - won by 6
A&M 06 - won by 1
UAB - won by 7

That is instructive. What about losses during that time? (serious question, not intended as a a snarky challenge, I do not know the answer.)

jumperstop
9/10/2010, 12:32 PM
That is instructive. What about losses during that time? (serious question, not intended as a a snarky challenge, I do not know the answer.)

I kinda glanced over the last few seasons earlier and although there weren't many close loses cause we don't lose a lot, the loses that were close game in those big marquee games where we needed a W. But yeah it seems kinda one sided to only look at the close games we won. I talked about it in my previous post so I'm not going into it again.

CincySooner
9/10/2010, 04:17 PM

well, lets see
Nebraska 09 (lost by 7)
saxeT 09 (lost by 3)
Miami 09 (lost by 1)
BYU 09 (lost by 1)
Florida 08 (tied it in the 4th, one-possession game until 3 minutes left)
saxeT 08 (two lead changes in the 4th, one-possession game until 4 minutes left)
*** TECHNICALLY Texas Tech 07 counts (lost by 7, but we closed it to 7 with less than a minute left)
Colorado 07 (lost by 3)
Boise St. (lost by 1)
Oregon (lost by 1)

All this says to me is that for all but four games since 2006 (saxeT 06, TT 07, WVU 07, and TT09) this team has been in a position to win late in the game. You win some and you lose some.

I'd rather OU be in that position instead of some other teams that can't keep games competitive into the 4th quarter.

SoonerBacker
9/10/2010, 05:04 PM
:pop: