PDA

View Full Version : Know Their Quarterback: Christian Ponder

stoops the eternal pimp
9/9/2010, 02:29 PM
Christian Ponder
6'3 227 lb qb
5th year senior

Probably not the prototype FSU quarterback leading up to his first start...A decent sized quarterback who can stand tall in the pocket..Arm strength is ok, probably average..FSU hasn't done much with him down the field, so he completes a high percentage of passes..Doesn't throw a lot of TD's and doesn't turn the ball over much ..Ponder can make plays with his feet, running for over 400 yards a couple of seasons ago...

If I was to compare him to another player that OU has seen, it would be Colt McCoy...Short intermediate throws are his forte...a different type of mobile quarterback than what OU saw last week, he is taller(6'3 vs 6'), bigger(227 vs 190) and isn't going to make the same type of mistakes that Borel made.

Like McCoy, it isn't so much he is going to beat you on a designed run, but pick up 6 or 7 yards on a pass play were nobody is open. Ponder had to play behind a very inexperience line last year like LJ did, but Ponder used his athletic ability often to get out of situations and make a play downfield.

Ponder is very intelligent, already possessing a Bachelor's Degree in Finance, a Master's in Business Administration, and working on a 2nd Master's in Sports Management. What does this matter? He is able to not only learn his craft, but he knows what the RBs, OL, and WRs should be doing and he is basically another coach on the field for them...No slight to LJ because this is experience difference, but Ponder isn't going to make mistakes because "he doesn't trust his protection"...

Unlike other teams with coaching changes, Ponder has been running this offense of Fisher's for a while, so its nothing new to him..

I'm concerned about the inexperience of the OU corners working against him..The Dline will have to manage to get a decent pass rush throughout the game..The big cushions that they gave in the 1st game will be an issue, because Ponder is patient enough to take whatever they give him..

Well what is his weakness? Ponder has in the past had a somewhat weak release. He doesn't set his feet right, so this leaves him throwing just with his arm and just laying a ball out there..He throws off his heels because of this also...He definitely doesn't step into his throws enough, so I don't see how he doesn't have more picks...If the LB's will sink back enough in their coverages, one of them should be able to pick one.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/9/2010, 02:31 PM
by the way, they keep saying he is the #1 quarteback on the draft board next year..Thats wrong...Some have him as the #1 senior quarterback on the board...

Based on his mechanics alone, I would have to place him late 2nd, early 3rd round.

swardboy
9/9/2010, 02:34 PM
So we have a chance?

Okie35
9/9/2010, 02:49 PM
Ponder is nothing like Colt. He can throw downfield, I see him more like a taller Reesing. I mean last year he threw 14tds 7ints and before that 14td and 13int. He's improved though and another weakness is he grew up an A&M fan.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/9/2010, 02:54 PM
well its nice of you to post your opinion like your absolutely right and im absolutely wrong, but that's who the Tampa Bay scout I talked to compared him with...I could see your comparison as well though..

Its not a matter of if a player can throw downfield or not..Colt could do it, about any college quarterback can chuck a ball downfield..its just not something he is good at

BoulderSooner79
9/9/2010, 03:17 PM
I'm been surprised by the press Ponder has gotten this year. I have only seen him operate in a few games, but he struck me as pretty good in streaks, but inconsistent. He would inevitably make a costly mistake. I probably saw more of his 14TD/13INT level of play. I'm sure the experts know more.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/9/2010, 03:19 PM
Probably because of his raw skill set and build...Some have compared him to Jake Locker, but Locker is much better in the pocket and has a lot stronger arm with a quicker release..

His college stats are very meh, but I think its more his leadership ability and potential than actual performance

Okie35
9/9/2010, 03:49 PM
well its nice of you to post your opinion like your absolutely right and im absolutely wrong, but that's who the Tampa Bay scout I talked to compared him with...I could see your comparison as well though..

Its not a matter of if a player can throw downfield or not..Colt could do it, about any college quarterback can chuck a ball downfield..its just not something he is good at

Ha I didn't mean it like that, my bad.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/9/2010, 03:52 PM
:D Its alright, I'm used to it..I'm married

Reesing is a good comparison as well, but Reesing was just one of those gritty "How in the world is he doing this?" type quarterbacks...

Okie35
9/9/2010, 04:57 PM
:D Its alright, I'm used to it..I'm married

Reesing is a good comparison as well, but Reesing was just one of those gritty "How in the world is he doing this?" type quarterbacks...

True, the only reason why I compared them is because I think Reesing has a stronger arm than Colt did.

landrun
9/9/2010, 06:18 PM
I have a lot of respect for Ponder. Probably the best player on their team - meaning that QB is probably their strongest position on the team. He concerns me. He'll play well.

StoopTroup
9/9/2010, 06:31 PM
Funniest thing is folks are comparing an unknown with a shoulder injury to a guy that has as much game experience and a Bowl win under his belt. The odds makers are always going to give the edge to Landry even if he had a bad game last week. Landry didn't fumble, he didn't make game changing mistakes and IMO he's gonna be our guy unless he gets hurt.

Folks who are bitching and want Stoops and Huepel to put in someone else are absolutely freaking insane IMO.

Ponder that.

swardboy
9/9/2010, 07:32 PM
Ponder that.

CHRIStal clear....

prrriiide
9/9/2010, 08:40 PM
Well what is his weakness? Ponder has in the past had a somewhat weak release. He doesn't set his feet right, so this leaves him throwing just with his arm and just laying a ball out there..He throws off his heels because of this also...He definitely doesn't step into his throws enough, so I don't see how he doesn't have more picks...If the LB's will sink back enough in their coverages, one of them should be able to pick one.

I was noticing that in a lot of the videos I've seen of him. He's thrown the ball into some tight places that by all rights should have been an int. I'm assuming that's because the DBs just didn't make the play and the WR did. Given last week's CB performance that is a little disconcerting, but I think our CBs will play much better this week after a week of coachin' em up.

Ponder doesn't set his feet and throws often off not only his back foot, but his back heel. He doesn't seem to usually have a lot of velocity.

Here's a good sampling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCuu6UyO3B0

stoops the eternal pimp
9/9/2010, 08:46 PM
Yeah exactly what I saw..He should be picked off a couple of times saturday

VA Sooner
9/9/2010, 08:55 PM
I agree... Locker has a better pocket presence. I think he had to with his lousy offensive line the last few years.

Ponder won't be as slippery like the Utah St QB so hopefully won't have to rely on the cornerbacks making the most tackles in the game.

StoopTroup
9/9/2010, 08:56 PM
The more sub woofer you put in his highlight video...the better he seems to play.

Collier11
9/9/2010, 09:22 PM
I dont get the people who say Colt couldnt thrown down field, its like the people who say Sam couldnt play from under center...both did that alot

stoops the eternal pimp
9/12/2010, 03:10 PM

WTF? Calling a LB pick?

Collier11
9/12/2010, 03:13 PM
Matt Moore for the Panthers today looks alot like Ponder yesterday for the Noles

Collier11
9/12/2010, 03:14 PM
you gonna do one of these threads for each team? I think you should

BoulderSooner79
9/12/2010, 04:56 PM
I'm been surprised by the press Ponder has gotten this year. I have only seen him operate in a few games, but he struck me as pretty good in streaks, but inconsistent. He would inevitably make a costly mistake. I probably saw more of his 14TD/13INT level of play. I'm sure the experts know more.

Our D did a good job with pressure, but that game didn't change my opinion of Ponder.

StoopTroup
9/12/2010, 05:00 PM
Funniest thing is folks are comparing an unknown with a shoulder injury to a guy that has as much game experience and a Bowl win under his belt. The odds makers are always going to give the edge to Landry even if he had a bad game last week. Landry didn't fumble, he didn't make game changing mistakes and IMO he's gonna be our guy unless he gets hurt.

Folks who are bitching and want Stoops and Huepel to put in someone else are absolutely freaking insane IMO.

Ponder that.

Dude....are you Psychic?

BoulderSooner79
9/12/2010, 06:38 PM
Dude....are you Psychic?

More of a schizo it appears.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/12/2010, 10:06 PM
you gonna do one of these threads for each team? I think you should

Yeah that's the plan

Collier11
9/12/2010, 10:07 PM
I changed my mind now, dont do it

Crucifax Autumn
9/12/2010, 10:12 PM
I love this thread. It's only posted once on the first page unlike other topics which are usually posted in 6 different threads.

texaspokieokie
9/14/2010, 07:09 AM
my ex-next door neighbor formerly lived in the same block as the Ponder family. in Grapevine.

my friend's wife (my friend also) teaches @ Colleyville Heritage.

they have known CP since he was about 7.

StoopTroup
10/16/2010, 11:13 AM
Today's Heisman performance is against Boston College.

BC 3

FSU 0

:D

StoopTroup
10/16/2010, 11:27 AM
Let's make it...

BC 6

FSU ZIP

1st qtr 7:20 left

tooslow
10/16/2010, 12:31 PM
6-14 FSU, for now. Anybody watching this game? FSU has looked HORRIBLE in the first half. This FSU team looks like the same team we blasted. I'm hoping they are indeed as good as everyone thinks they are.

VA Sooner
10/16/2010, 12:33 PM
FSU had some good games since playing us, especially against Miami. Perhaps a hangover effect, maybe a little tired.

They stepped it up in the second quarter.

StoopTroup
10/16/2010, 12:38 PM
I knew it was all a bunch of malarkey as most Teams struggle a bit when a change at HC happens. I know Bowden was ready to go but I never thought the new Staff had it all together more than Bowden did. No matter that Bobby's days at HC were numbered....FSU just isn't as good as the media tried to hype them in August.