PDA

View Full Version : cfn fearless prediction

w0lfe
9/9/2010, 08:56 AM
GAME OF THE WEEK

Florida State (1-0) at Oklahoma (1-0) Sept. 11, 3:30 ET, ABC

Here’s The Deal … There’s chatter of a rematch of the 2000 National Championship game. However, this week’s highly-anticipated battle between Oklahoma and Florida State is all about the present and future state of the programs. Both the Sooners and the Seminoles are coming off dreadful seasons by their standards, and are hoping to use this meeting as a launching pad for a return to glory in 2010. Oklahoma struggled in the opener to get by Utah State, 31-24. Was it looking ahead or just overrated as a top 10 team? For Florida State, this is the first show-me game of the Jimbo Fisher era. While the Seminoles were flawless on Saturday, how much can you derive from a 59-6 thrashing of Samford? As if more juicy sub plots are needed, Oklahoma enters with a nation’s-best 31-game home winning streak, and Stoops brothers will square off for the first time, Bob as the Sooner coach and Mark as the Seminole defensive coordinator.
Why Florida State Might Win: The ‘Noles left few doubts that their offense has a chance to be among the best in America this fall. Sure, it was against Samford, but don’t discount the effort. It all starts with QB Christian Ponder, who’s making ascent as a national commodity. He was near perfect in his first game back from a shoulder injury, going 12-of-14 for 167 yards, four touchdowns and a pick. He’ll be well-protected from G Rodney Hudson and an experienced line. He’ll get some good looks on an Oklahoma secondary that’s breaking in two new cornerbacks and just got done being carved up by Aggie Diondre Borel; the Sooners yielded six passes of at least 25 yards on Saturday night.
Why Oklahoma Might Win: Go ahead and marvel at the Florida State offense. The defense, on the other hand, still has plenty to prove. No one will for sure until Saturday night how far this unit has progressed from last year’s disaster, when the Seminoles were repeatedly abused through the air. The Sooners will put them to the test with the Landry Jones to Ryan Broyles connection. The two hooked up nine times for 142 yards and two touchdowns in last week’s win. Making sure Florida State respects the run will be DeMarco Murray, who added 218 yards and two scores of his own on the ground. The ‘Noles are still searching for a consistent pass rusher, which means Jones should have time to make his reads.
What To Watch Out For: When Florida State CB Greg Reid is locked on to Broyles, it’s going to be the best game-within-the-game of the afternoon, if not the entire weekend. A couple of superb athletes, the winner of their duel could dictate who leaves Norman with a victory. Broyles is one of the best in the country at his position, but Reid is a budding superstar with a chance to become a household name if he shuts No. 85 down. Both are also elite punt returners, so they’ll play prominent roles on special teams as well.
What Will Happen: For so many reasons, this one has all of the ingredients to become an instant classic. The gap between the schools is not nearly as wide as many will have you believe. Florida State is a little underrated. Oklahoma a bit overrated. Still, it’s hard to buck history, which says the Sooners simply don’t lose in Norman. In a game that’ll be dictated by the offenses, OU will also enjoy an important edge on the ground, getting the balance and big runs from Murray needed to keep the ‘Noles from dropping back to stop the pass.
CFN Prediction: Oklahoma 33 … Florida State 30 … Line: Oklahoma -9

Soonermagik
9/9/2010, 09:09 AM
I think the line is a trap to get people to take FSU and the points. I really think OU wins by double digit points.

Vegas makes a living off people having knee jerk reactions. Everyone is down on OU who appears to have been looking ahead in last weeks game.

Blues1
9/9/2010, 09:26 AM
Game Could go to Overtime --- JMHO....!

Hope Not -- But....

Lott's Bandana
9/9/2010, 09:37 AM
I think the line is a trap to get people to take FSU and the points. I really think OU wins by double digit points.

Vegas makes a living off people having knee jerk reactions. Everyone is down on OU who appears to have been looking ahead in last weeks game.

Line has moved to -7.5 now.

Okie35
9/9/2010, 09:43 AM

HA... they could move the line as close as they want.

Mississippi Sooner
9/9/2010, 09:53 AM
Lotsa people betting on Florida State. That's fine. It's their money to lose.

gaylordfan1
9/9/2010, 10:35 AM

And I bet it moves down a little bit more before game time.

stoopified
9/9/2010, 11:30 AM
Let's kick this MF off already.