PDA

View Full Version : "Billy Sims took money."

47straight
9/7/2010, 08:52 PM
Just heard one of the fabulous journalists here in Austin, Geoff Ketchum, owner of orangebloods.com, claim on the air that

"Billy Sims took money."

in response to whether he thinks that Reggie Bush should be stripped of his Heisman.

Mr. Ketchum claims that Bush hasn't done anything that Billy Sims and other guys in the 70s didn't do. The only name he named was Billy Sims.

I tried to do some searches, and couldn't find any rumors, substantiated or otherwise, about it. Before I go on a rampage, I wanted to consult the brain trust on whether it's accepted wisdom/verified fact/complete b.s.

Lott's Bandana
9/7/2010, 08:56 PM
So which '70s did Earl play in?

What a fooktard.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2010, 09:03 PM
what a ****ing idiot..who cares? Im sure he did...Im sure you would be hardpressed in that era of football to find somebody who didnt take money...

Leroy Lizard
9/7/2010, 09:08 PM
Just heard one of the fabulous journalists here in Austin, Geoff Ketchum, owner of orangebloods.com, claim on the air that

"Billy Sims took money."

in response to whether he thinks that Reggie Bush should be stripped of his Heisman.

Mr. Ketchum claims that Bush hasn't done anything that Billy Sims and other guys in the 70s didn't do. The only name he named was Billy Sims.

I tried to do some searches, and couldn't find any rumors, substantiated or otherwise, about it. Before I go on a rampage, I wanted to consult the brain trust on whether it's accepted wisdom/verified fact/complete b.s.

Well, he did receive benefits in the form of having his electricity bill paid to keep his utilities from being turned off, but that's pretty small potatoes. (Compare that to Bush.)

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2010, 09:09 PM
Switzer bought Ricky Bryan furniture too...allegedly... dont care about that either

bluedogok
9/7/2010, 09:41 PM
I still don't understand why anyone listens to Orangeturds.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
9/7/2010, 09:52 PM

Because they wanna find out what happens when a Horn binges out on Cheetos. A buncha orange-turds!

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2010, 09:55 PM

agreed

TXBOOMER
9/7/2010, 10:04 PM
The reason the dude knows Billy was getting paid, is because the dude's mom was the one paying him.

Jdog
9/7/2010, 10:57 PM
In the book bootleggers boy Switzer talks about giving Sims money for rent or something to keep him around for his Sr year. If you go by the book he had already received the Heisman before getting any money.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/7/2010, 11:07 PM
Yeah? Well OJ killed a bitch.

Game. Set. Match.

The Consumate Showman
9/7/2010, 11:37 PM
Yeah? Well OJ is a bitch, and got away with murder.

Game. Set. Match.

Fixed for ya. :D

silverwheels
9/7/2010, 11:41 PM
Ricky Williams would have taken money, but he asked for payments in weed instead. Cut out the middle man.

TexasLidig8r
9/7/2010, 11:47 PM
47... a frequent poster in another thread had this to say about Sims:

It was after Billy Sims' Heisman year, but Switzer - who noted that the statute of limitation has long passed - said he asked Billy what it would take to get him to return for one more season after winning the Heisman. "Fifteen hundred dollars," was Sims' answer, he said. Done, Switzer said.

I'm sure $1,500 was more money back then, but it still pales in comparison to what Reggie did. Plus, this allegedly happened after the Heisman season, not during.

I also read several years ago in an interview Switzer gave to the Arkansas Democratic Gazette, he admitted he paid Sims $1500.00.

Switzer also admitted paying Joe Washington and others $100 an hour to "babysit" his kids.

You might not like it, but it appears there is a substantial amount of truth to it.

sooner59
9/7/2010, 11:53 PM
He didn't spend it, though. He put it away to earn interest so one day he could open a BBQ joint.

GKeeper316
9/7/2010, 11:54 PM

It was after Billy Sims' Heisman year, but Switzer - who noted that the statute of limitation has long passed - said he asked Billy what it would take to get him to return for one more season after winning the Heisman. "Fifteen hundred dollars," was Sims' answer, he said. Done, Switzer said.

I'm sure $1,500 was more money back then, but it still pales in comparison to what Reggie did. Plus, this allegedly happened after the Heisman season, not during.

I also read several years ago in an interview Switzer gave to the Arkansas Democratic Gazette, he admitted he paid Sims $1500.00.

Switzer also admitted paying Joe Washington and others $100 an hour to "babysit" his kids.

You might not like it, but it appears there is a substantial amount of truth to it.

and it only happened in Norman...

oudavid1
9/8/2010, 12:37 AM
http://www.40acressports.com/images/ou-cheater-billboard.jpg

* fans love this so much

So when they bring it up i always say........so,

we ALLEGEDLY cheated (cause if there was proof, we would have been strip like Reggie) and we still won.

* apparently never ever ever cheats.....and they dont.

Winning isnt everything - Texas Fans
Winning is the only thing - Oklahoma Fans

MyT Oklahoma
9/8/2010, 12:49 AM
Read The King's book (Bootlegger's Boy) regarding what Michigan was doing over a hundred years ago. So what else is new?

P.S. I love that book by the way.

Leroy Lizard
9/8/2010, 12:57 AM

You have any links? Otherwise why bother?

And don't forget the NCAA violations incurred by UT for bailing its players out of jail.

sooner59
9/8/2010, 01:00 AM

* fans love this so much

we ALLEGEDLY cheated (cause if there was proof, we would have been strip like Reggie) and we still won.

Read my sig.

Fraggle145
9/8/2010, 01:47 AM
what a ****ing idiot..who cares? Im sure he did...Im sure you would be hardpressed in that era of football to find somebody who didnt take money...

Why do you think all of the athletes on TV, like Craig James, Andre Ware, etc... are all saying that it shouldnt be stripped. Its the best known secret in college football.

oudavid1
9/8/2010, 01:59 AM
Read my sig.

lol i know :D

sooner59
9/8/2010, 02:06 AM
Why do you think all of the athletes on TV, like Craig James, Andre Ware, etc... are all saying that it shouldnt be stripped. Its the best known secret in college football.

Craig James: "I'm torn on this."

Translation: "On one hand, I absolutely agree that stripping it would be best for college football's future by setting a precedent. On the other hand, I did the same thing, so I can sympathize with Bush, and I would be a hypocrite."

WA. Sooner
9/8/2010, 03:33 AM
In Billy's day I didn't think leaving early was an option.

Leroy Lizard
9/8/2010, 03:39 AM

It was at about the time when colleges were being threatened with it. Wasn't Herschel Walker the first?

texaspokieokie
9/8/2010, 06:32 AM

Billy came back for his 5th yr. he wasn't leaving early.

using hind sight, he shoulda left, he was about 25 when he started playing in NFL.

he (maybe) would've had 1 more year as a pro, & coulda used the money.

this is no secret; Barry's book was published 20 yrs. ago.

Soonermagik
9/8/2010, 07:04 AM
I'll just tell you right now this goes on a lot more than you think. Reggie was stupid, because had he paid his agent back then no one knows any difference.

Reggie put himself in this situation, because he tried to steal loaned money to him. Did he really think Lake was going to walk away from that kind of money?

texaspokieokie
9/8/2010, 07:41 AM
craig james played for smu, right in the middle of the time they got the
"death penalty".

he was highly recruited, so if he wasn't paid, he was one of only a few smu players that didn't get paid.

King Barry's Back
9/8/2010, 08:13 AM
He didn't spend it, though. He put it away to earn interest so one day he could open a BBQ joint.

Cha-ching! And I thought Billy just sold his name to that place.

Guess Billy took some business courses while at OU.

soonerborn30
9/8/2010, 08:26 AM
No way! Billy's all about it! He's bussing tables, greeting folks at the door, slangin' pulled pork (insert jokes here).

It always baffles me when * fans will talk crap about OU's infractions, especially the ones dealing with money (which are the vast majority of them). I personally know HS players that have received benefits in Texas. I can only imagine what they're doing for the kids that bring in the real dough in college. I just love how they prance around because they haven't been caught...yet.

Mississippi Sooner
9/8/2010, 08:30 AM
"death penalty".

he was highly recruited, so if he wasn't paid, he was one of only a few smu players that didn't get paid.

No doubt. That SMU program had to have been about as close to a professional college football team as we've ever had.

texaspokieokie
9/8/2010, 08:34 AM
smu got caught paying players when they were already on probabion. it wasn't just supporters, some school officials were involved.

just going by memory, no links or anything. twas all in the papers, back when dallas had 2. (morning & evening)

TexasLidig8r
9/8/2010, 08:35 AM

* fans love this so much

ah... the usual cry of... "well, everyone did it!"

"allegedly cheated?" So the NCAA allegedly placed Ou on probations all of those times, prevented television and bowl appearances because they were only "unproven allegations?" :rolleyes:

Would love one day to find even one sooner fan who can even imply or intimidate that the numerous probations are a black eye and embarrassing to the university and are glad that at least Stoops does not appear to be involved in any misdealings.

soonervegas
9/8/2010, 08:48 AM
I think Al E. said the exact same thing last night on The Sports Animal. That Switzer paid Billy money.

On a side note, I used to get upset about Texas always pointing to OU cheating. It really used to bother me until I realized that UT has been on probation 4 times as well. That's a mighty big glass house for a program and fan base that paint themselves as squeaky clean and the anti-OU.

texaspokieokie
9/8/2010, 08:51 AM
as noted above; this was in Barry's book that was published 20 yrs ago. it's not news.

when was tejas on probation ???

Lott's Bandana
9/8/2010, 08:57 AM

"allegedly cheated?" So the NCAA allegedly placed Ou on probations all of those times, prevented television and bowl appearances because they were only "unproven allegations?" :rolleyes:

Would love one day to find even one sooner fan who can even imply or intimidate that the numerous probations are a black eye and embarrassing to the university and are glad that at least Stoops does not appear to be involved in any misdealings.

Speaking of black eyes, are your NFL representatives staying out of night clubs? Haven't heard about any altercations in at least a week.

This is the same group of players that obviously discovered the benefits of medicinal marijuana, AFTER they left Austin.

Can't recall any embarrassment coming from you, Counselor.

soonerborn30
9/8/2010, 08:58 AM

I'd like to start by quoting Forest Gump: Are you stupid or something?

Do you honestly think that we're happy about all that crap? I guess hearing a Sooner fan say they're embarassed by probation gets your rocks off somehow, which is probably a whole other therapy session. You'd be hard pressed to find somebody that DIDN'T feel the way you claim no Sooner fan feels or admits to feeling. What exactly is the point?

And something else you Hindus can't seem to comprehend: when we mention how many various other programs have done it or are doing it and haven't been caught, we're not rationalizing our "misdealings". We're just gently reminding you that he who is without sin should cast the first stone. And absolutely NO ONE that's typically throwing rocks deserves to. Little brother even paid players back in the day, ffs!

texaspokieokie
9/8/2010, 09:01 AM
good post SB30 !!!

KantoSooner
9/8/2010, 09:04 AM
I have to laugh when horn fans pull this argument out. The SWC and Texas in particular were well recognized as the epicenter of corruption in college football in the 1960's and 1970's. Not just or especially UT, but every school in the state and conference.
They are the reason for most of the NCAA's rules today.
It's akin to having Libya head up an international committee on human rights.....oh, wait, we did that.
Never mind.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/8/2010, 09:12 AM

Umm, yeah. We still haven't done anything nearly as disgraceful as taking up a collection on Thanksgiving to fly a plane over a stadium.

47straight
9/8/2010, 09:13 AM

He said it on the radio.

CobraKai
9/8/2010, 09:17 AM
No way! Billy's all about it! He's bussing tables, greeting folks at the door, slangin' pulled pork (insert jokes here).

It always baffles me when * fans will talk crap about OU's infractions, especially the ones dealing with money (which are the vast majority of them). I personally know HS players that have received benefits in Texas. I can only imagine what they're doing for the kids that bring in the real dough in college. I just love how they prance around because they haven't been caught...yet.

My cousin was paid to play baseball at Texas in the 90s. I've personally witnessed the "$100 handshakes.". While he readily admits Texas did and still does generously pay it's players, he pointed out that every school in the big 12 (most recruited him) made comparable offers. This was not in the wild 70s or 80s. This was late 90s.

Lott's Bandana
9/8/2010, 09:21 AM
I have to laugh when horn fans pull this argument out. The SWC and Texas in particular were well recognized as the epicenter of corruption in college football and politics in the 1960's and 1970's.

One and the same down there.

StoopTroup
9/8/2010, 09:36 AM
OK...so we'll let this one go and the next time someone gets extra horsey sauce at Arby's...we're gonna pull his Heisman.

CHECK.

TexasLidig8r
9/8/2010, 09:48 AM
S

Can't recall any embarrassment coming from you, Counselor.

Go back and read my several posts on this topic then.

With regard to players who get caught for DUI, or with drugs, or whatever transgression, I'm leading the parade for suspend their asses..and for more than one game.

It's a privilege to play college football, to represent your university... you're getting a free ride to an education, are in the spot light. Much is given to you.. and as a result, much is expected.

I am certainly glad the Robert Josephs and Andre Jones and Ramonce Taylors were dismissed from the team. Good riddance.

You need to find something else with which to try to make your points.

Pigface1
9/8/2010, 09:48 AM
* fans love this so much

The way I see it is this. If you're going to get put on probation, have a national title or two to show for it. OSU got bitchslapped the same time we did in the late 80s and they couldn't even get a conference title out of it. lol

Regarding the whorns, who cares. Book'em.

stoopified
9/8/2010, 10:13 AM
Old news to the millions of people who read Bootlegger's Boy(#2 on NY Times Bestseller list).What sunk USC and Bush more than anything was lack of coperation.All this crying about the NCAA being unfair to USC and Bush is laughable.USC and Bush stonewalled for FIVE years.

Mississippi Sooner
9/8/2010, 10:21 AM
Old news to the millions of people who read Bootlegger's Boy(#2 on NY Times Bestseller list).What sunk USC and Bush more than anything was lack of coperation.All this crying about the NCAA being unfair to USC and Bush is laughable.USC and Bush stonewalled for FIVE years.

Bingo! And that's the reason Pete couldn't get out of town fast enough.

It's like when a gunman has held off the cops for the better part of a day. The bad guy knows that the longer he draws things out, the more pissed off the cops are going to be. When he hears the front door crash open, he knows he'd better have one heck of an escape plan or else he's going down in a hail of bullets.

The NCAA takes the cop role very seriously, and stonewalling or attempting to hide evidence can be worse than the actual crime.

sooneron
9/8/2010, 10:29 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00000DDMH.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

uh huh.

picasso
9/8/2010, 10:43 AM
Switzer helped out some folks who needed the help. I wouldn't say he lavished any player into coming to or staying in Norman.

See oSu. I personally know a guy from my high school who showed up with a brand new Z-28 after signing with the Pokes. He was also recruited by the Switz to play FB at OU.

soonerborn30
9/8/2010, 10:52 AM
Switzer helped out some folks who needed the help. I wouldn't say he lavished any player into coming to or staying in Norman.

See oSu. I personally know a guy from my high school who showed up with a brand new Z-28 after signing with the Pokes. He was also recruited by the Switz to play FB at OU.

The helping kids out being outlawed is what pisses me off. Barry paying for a kid's bus ticket to go to his grandmother's funeral (or so the story is told) is an NCAA violation. That is just wrong on every level.

badger
9/8/2010, 10:54 AM
Switzer said it again a few months ago - Sims said it would take $1,500 for him to return for another season after the Heisman season, so Switzer gave in $1,500. The statute of limitations has long passed. Switzer also openly talks about $100 per hour babysitting jobs, something that Dr. Ozzie up in Nebbish did openly too. Whoop tee friggin' doo. Till they make Billy Sims retroactively ineligible and take away our trophies and wins, this is a completely different scenario... and they won't, because the statute of limitations has passed.

OUmillenium
9/8/2010, 10:58 AM

If I could intimidate probations we wouldn't have any.

BillySims
9/8/2010, 11:04 AM
I took money alright.

For my delicious BOOMER Q!!!!!

http://www.bigmamaslasvegas.com/food%20images/bbq%20plate.gif

BOOMER!!

Leroy Lizard
9/8/2010, 11:05 AM

Same goes for Texas fans. You've had your problems with probations and out-of-control athletes too. But you never acknowledge them.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/8/2010, 11:09 AM
My uncle started at QB for OSU in the late 60s I do believe. I'll have to ask him if he ever received "benefits".

BTW, he's a huge Oklahoma fan. He went to both Fiesta bowls wearing Crimson. He is an Oklahoma City boy and has an immense amount of pride in his home state.

TexasLidig8r
9/8/2010, 12:16 PM
Same goes for Texas fans. You've had your problems with probations and out-of-control athletes too. But you never acknowledge them.

You must not read my posts then.

TexasLidig8r
9/8/2010, 12:20 PM
Switzer said it again a few months ago - Sims said it would take $1,500 for him to return for another season after the Heisman season, so Switzer gave in $1,500. The statute of limitations has long passed. Switzer also openly talks about $100 per hour babysitting jobs, something that Dr. Ozzie up in Nebbish did openly too. Whoop tee friggin' doo. Till they make Billy Sims retroactively ineligible and take away our trophies and wins, this is a completely different scenario... and they won't, because the statute of limitations has passed.

Ok Badj.. I'm gonna tread on some tricky ground here.

I know that Barry is regarded as a "saint" around here... can do no wrong, etc, etc. I met him at a fundraiser a number of years ago, chatted with him some and he was nothing less than gracious, humorous.. a guy you would want to pound down some beers with.

But, does the fact that he admitted to openly violating NCAA rules by paying Sims in any way, diminish him in your eyes? Not trying to flame here (for a change).. just want an honest opinion.

Leroy Lizard
9/8/2010, 12:26 PM
Read Meat on the Hoof. Are you still a DKR fan?

fwsooner22
9/8/2010, 12:27 PM

DO you think there are BASEBALL players at ** who are getting money right now ? :eek: :eek: Do you think there are ** BASEBALL players who got free lake condos over this past weekend (as in two days ago). :eek: :eek: The conversation isn't worth it. It cannot be policed and no college alum should pretend they are above board.

badger
9/8/2010, 12:33 PM

I know that Barry is regarded as a "saint" around here... can do no wrong, etc, etc. I met him at a fundraiser a number of years ago, chatted with him some and he was nothing less than gracious, humorous.. a guy you would want to pound down some beers with.

But, does the fact that he admitted to openly violating NCAA rules by paying Sims in any way, diminish him in your eyes? Not trying to flame here (for a change).. just want an honest opinion.

I started with a very low opinion of Barry Switzer, because I was born a Packer fan, not a Sooner fan. The 1995 NFC Championship game with him smirking on the sidelines as the Cowboys are sending our players (and even our defensive coordinator) to the hospital with their dirty tactics was an all-time low for that elementary school Packer fan. If I ever join al-Qaida, make me watch a tape of that game. I will spill every secret before I have to endure that sh!t again.

Since coming to OU, my opinion of Switzer could go nowhere but up after enduring that. I think this is where you and I can find some common ground, despite your whorn affiliation. Yes, Switzer coaching a very dirty Cowboy team that screwed my Packers out of Super Bowl XXX. Yes, Switzer may have appointed a fake painter to spy on your Whorns. It's in the past and we can laugh about it now, because of how far our teams have come since those moments that made us despise Barry then. Yes, the Pack was left out of Super Bowl XXX, but then we went to the next two, winning the next one.

PS: This whole argument is full of fail, btw. It's like God asking Adam if he ate from the forbidden fruit tree, and Adam responding "That woman you sent me gave it to me!" Let's shift blame rather than take responsibility! failfailfail

picasso
9/8/2010, 12:40 PM

I don't think he's thought of that way. He was a bit of an outlaw but not to the extent the haters make him out to be.
Those fabulous teams he built in the 70's were not a product of cheating. He was just better at getting the players he knew he could win with.

ashley
9/8/2010, 12:46 PM
Remember when Earl was going to OU and he had a dream the night before signing day and was told to go to tu. I know the guy that inspired the dream.

Mississippi Sooner
9/8/2010, 12:47 PM
Barry Switzer is not a saint to us. Barry Switzer is The King to us. A good king takes no prisoners and gives no quarter in his quest for victory.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/8/2010, 01:10 PM
If I am not mistaken, we got in trouble one time because one of our lineman's mother died and he couldn't afford to back for her funeral, so Switzer paid for airplane ticket. The NCAA was and will always be very selective in their prosecutions. Do you think Notre Dame has only done one bad thing in 1999?

Jdog
9/8/2010, 02:45 PM
I have to laugh when horn fans pull this argument out. The SWC and Texas in particular were well recognized as the epicenter of corruption in college football in the 1960's and 1970's. Not just or especially UT, but every school in the state and conference.
They are the reason for most of the NCAA's rules today.
It's akin to having Libya head up an international committee on human rights.....oh, wait, we did that.
Never mind.
Great point!!!
Don't forget the 80's - Thinking there was some probation from a coach buying Marcus some boots.

TexasLidig8r
9/8/2010, 02:45 PM
. Do you think Notre Dame has only done one bad thing in 1999?

dude.. the Pope is watching.

He will excommunicate you for less. :eek:

Okie35
9/8/2010, 02:51 PM
I'm pretty sure Vince Young took money too.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/8/2010, 02:52 PM
I know he didn't take any classes though...

Okie35
I know he didn't take any classes though...

HA

Jdog
Loved hearing the story from a Midland cop about a particular RB from that area showing up at school in a nice big new car and Mack wondering where it came from. According to the Policeman he was told to get it out of Austin.

GKeeper316
9/8/2010, 02:53 PM
It was at about the time when colleges were being threatened with it. Wasn't Herschel Walker the first?

correct me if i'm wrong, but walker played his first 2-3 years with the new jersey generals in the usfl...

KantoSooner
9/8/2010, 02:58 PM
Lid,
Barry was a perfect 'fit' for OU. As I'm sure you're aware, OU football and UT football as well as others in other states, in some ways operate in the world of myth and totem and flesh out the self image of their 'tribe'.
Barry, although an Arkie by birth, found his place in Okieland. He may have cheated, some, but seemed to have an honorable reason for doing so, mostly. And, importantly, he got away with most of what he was rumored or admitted later to having done.
How could such a character NOT be beloved of people who identify themselves as 'Sooners'?
For a people who had signs posted banning their admission into movie theaters and the company of 'good' people in various parts of the country as late as the outbreak of WWII, commitment to a 'code of conduct' that is manifestly enforced with malice and bias is very, very tenuous.
Barry may have been born an Arkie, but he became OU's own. And he always will be.
Say what you will, but when that man breathes his last, I, for one, will shed a tear. And, so, I believe, will Billy Sims.

badger
9/8/2010, 02:59 PM
correct me if i'm wrong, but walker played his first 2-3 years with the new jersey generals in the usfl...

He was Donald Trump's star player. They had a 30 for 30 on it :D

EDIT: btw, look at this sh!t on ESPN here (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?id=5543932)

Under this picture:
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0907/espn_g_sims_300.jpg
They have this caption: "Billy Sims hasn't forgotten winning the Heisman, even if he no longer has a trophy in his hands."

This columnist usually sucks, but just to give her the benefit of the doubt, gotta ask: didn't Barry Switzer buy Sims' Heisman back and return it to him?

Leroy Lizard
9/8/2010, 03:12 PM

I was referring to leaving early, not just the NFL.

silverwheels
9/8/2010, 03:21 PM
I'm pretty sure Vince Young took money too.

Extremely likely, but as they say in Austin, "If you can't prove it, it didn't happen."

badger
9/8/2010, 03:27 PM
Extremely likely, but as they say in Austin, "If you can't prove it, it didn't happen."

Followed by "Tee hee, cheating Oklahomo Spooner Swooner Gooners cheat all the time! Cheaters! Did you know 'Sooner' means 'cheater? Hehe, they cheat cheat cheat."

Can't wait for them to get caught :mad:

fwsooner22
9/8/2010, 03:45 PM
As I have said so many times before; you have to WIN consistently to get anyone to care especially the NCAA. ** Simply doesn't have to worry about it.

Pigface1
9/8/2010, 03:52 PM
didn't Barry Switzer buy Sims' Heisman back and return it to him?

IIRC, a booster bought it and its on display in the facilities in Norman.

That's alright, Billy has a better one, now. :D

http://www.paullittleton.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/heisman-park-billy-sims.jpg

BillySims
9/8/2010, 04:01 PM
BOOMER!

Mad Dog Madsen
9/8/2010, 04:06 PM
^^^LMAO! That's classic...

Scott D
9/8/2010, 04:13 PM
"death penalty".

james had the highest salary on that team.

47straight
9/8/2010, 04:14 PM
dude.. the Pope is watching.

He will excommunicate you for less. :eek:

Maybe if Notre Dame was Catholic...

Scott D
9/8/2010, 04:16 PM
He was Donald Trump's star player. They had a 30 for 30 on it :D

EDIT: btw, look at this sh!t on ESPN here (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?id=5543932)

Under this picture:
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0907/espn_g_sims_300.jpg
They have this caption: "Billy Sims hasn't forgotten winning the Heisman, even if he no longer has a trophy in his hands."

This columnist usually sucks, but just to give her the benefit of the doubt, gotta ask: didn't Barry Switzer buy Sims' Heisman back and return it to him?

ask her how many MSU Spartans have a heisman...oh wait :D

jkjsooner
9/8/2010, 04:31 PM
I'd like to start by quoting Forest Gump: Are you stupid or something?

Do you honestly think that we're happy about all that crap? I guess hearing a Sooner fan say they're embarassed by probation gets your rocks off somehow, which is probably a whole other therapy session. You'd be hard pressed to find somebody that DIDN'T feel the way you claim no Sooner fan feels or admits to feeling. What exactly is the point?

And something else you Hindus can't seem to comprehend: when we mention how many various other programs have done it or are doing it and haven't been caught, we're not rationalizing our "misdealings". We're just gently reminding you that he who is without sin should cast the first stone. And absolutely NO ONE that's typically throwing rocks deserves to. Little brother even paid players back in the day, ffs!

This reminds me of an old neighbor of mine who played football for Maryland back in the late '70s. He was smug when talking of Switzer yet he freely admitted to selling steroids to Maryland players while he was a graduate assistant there.

TexasLidig8r
9/8/2010, 04:31 PM
Maybe if Notre Dame was Catholic...

It is..

Although its bestowing an honorary law degree on President Hussein Obama raised some issues and there's the pesky issue regarding the bishops. But.. yes. they still are.

http://www.examiner.com/catholic-living-in-washington-dc/is-notre-dame-still-a-catholic-university

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/8/2010, 04:37 PM
Ricky Williams would have taken money, but he asked for payments in weed instead. Cut out the middle man.

ricky took more money than bush. so did quan cosby. so did chris wenke. they just did it via a stupid as crap NCAA loophole.

all of this pales in comparison to what happens in basketball though. anderson hunt is my all time fave at using NCAA loopholes.

1. become a walk on
2. bid on rights to sell UNLV merchandise
3. win right to sell UNLV merchandise
4. charge the university extra for any TShirts signed by you
4. make 10 mill while in college selling signed anderson hunt basketball TShirts

Scott D
9/8/2010, 04:39 PM
well considering at how lucrative his NBA career was, he knew when he hit his ceiling. :)

Leroy Lizard
9/8/2010, 04:57 PM
I'll take "Sooners are cheaters" crap from Rice fans. They've stayed out of trouble and their players aren't thugs. But not UT fans.

Lott's Bandana
9/8/2010, 05:37 PM
Go back and read my several posts on this topic then.

With regard to players who get caught for DUI, or with drugs, or whatever transgression, I'm leading the parade for suspend their asses..and for more than one game.

It's a privilege to play college football, to represent your university... you're getting a free ride to an education, are in the spot light. Much is given to you.. and as a result, much is expected.

I am certainly glad the Robert Josephs and Andre Jones and Ramonce Taylors were dismissed from the team. Good riddance.

You need to find something else with which to try to make your points.

I'll raise your "something else" with any example of a Sooners Fan being proud and pleased to have been on probation, regardless of the offense. Defiance is not the same. Embarrassed? No.

You started this with your "I'd love to find..."
No, you wouldn't, that was pure arrogant pussie lawyer whorn bool-shat.

Saying 'others do it' isn't condoning or being proud of the history of probations, decreed by an organization that creates hypocritical and often heartless rules in the name of leveling the playing field.

Go find the Wyoming message board and play around on it for a while.

StoopTroup
9/8/2010, 09:11 PM
None of you have ever seen a Billy Buck?

SbOrOiNaEnR
9/8/2010, 10:52 PM

Not so sure about that...the one in the Switzer Center is probably OU's copy of the Heisman. School gets one, player gets one. That precedent was started by the Heisman Trust after '66 when Spurrier donated his to the school. The Gator student body was so touched they raised money to buy him a duplicate.

But I have wondered where Sims' trophy ended up. Someone on here must know.

At least it's not in the hands of the Goldman Family...:rolleyes:

TheHumanAlphabet
9/9/2010, 12:15 AM

Lid, BFD!!! It was the 70s, everyone did it, even your precious whorns. Plus the statue of limitations expired long, long time ago. Same can't be said for Bush or that the rules and enforcement has changed.

Go smoke a cigar and tell me how it was.

texaspokieokie
9/9/2010, 07:43 AM
i think Barry was kidding about the baby sitting.

Crucifax Autumn
9/9/2010, 07:44 AM
I think Barry was giving Lid a way to look stupid.

soonerborn30
9/9/2010, 08:34 AM
He needs Barry for that?

Mississippi Sooner
9/9/2010, 08:43 AM
You know, even back when the book first came out, there were several passages where I thought to myself "Barry is still yanking a lot of chains." That crack about the babysitting was one of them. I bet he had a big grin on his face when he was telling that to the ghost writer.

SoonerShark
9/9/2010, 09:30 AM
How did poor Vince Young who speaks English as only a second or third language manage to have so much bling to wear when attending pro sporting events while sitting in the $500.00 seats while attending UT, or should I say while he resided in Austin playing for the football team?

Soonersince57
9/9/2010, 09:42 AM
I'll raise your "something else" with any example of a Sooners Fan being proud and pleased to have been on probation, regardless of the offense. Defiance is not the same. Embarrassed? No.

You started this with your "I'd love to find..."
No, you wouldn't, that was pure arrogant pussie lawyer whorn bool-shat.

Saying 'others do it' isn't condoning or being proud of the history of probations, decreed by an organization that creates hypocritical and often heartless rules in the name of leveling the playing field.

Go find the Wyoming message board and play around on it for a while.

You're my hero.

TexasLidig8r
9/9/2010, 10:11 AM
james had the highest salary on that team.

Eric Dickerson, Michael Carter and Jerry Ball all say hi.

texaspokieokie
9/9/2010, 10:29 AM
Barry takes responsibility for the "spying" incident, but says he didn't know about it until after the fact, so obviously wasn't involved.

a guy named lonnie williams gave some info about the tejas defense to Lacewell. as DC, no good to Lacewell.

of course, who's to say he didn't give it to the OC.

don't know, don't care.

i think it helped Darrell decide to retire.

crawfish
9/9/2010, 10:44 AM

* fans love this so much

I just point out that OU has a much higher NC to probation ratio than UT. :)

Leroy Lizard
9/9/2010, 02:29 PM
How did poor Vince Young who speaks English as only a second or third language....

VY speaks no discernible language.

tulsaoilerfan
9/9/2010, 04:55 PM
Barry takes responsibility for the "spying" incident, but says he didn't know about it until after the fact, so obviously wasn't involved.

a guy named lonnie williams gave some info about the tejas defense to Lacewell. as DC, no good to Lacewell.

of course, who's to say he didn't give it to the OC.

don't know, don't care.

i think it helped Darrell decide to retire.

Darrell retired cause he got tired of Barry kicking his *** with his beloved bone

stoopified
9/9/2010, 05:08 PM

That's alright, Billy has a better one, now. :D

http://www.paullittleton.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/heisman-park-billy-sims.jpgNO,BILLY'S WAS RETURNED TO HIM.WE HAVE SCHOOL COPIES OF ALL OUR HEISMAN'S IN THE SWITZER CENTER.