PDA

View Full Version : Trouble in Cincy

Jacie
9/7/2010, 07:23 PM
I guess OUr strength of schedule isn't as good as it looked preseason . . .

September 7, 2010, 5:59 PM ET

Cincinnati revamping offensive line

CINCINNATI -- An unexpected problem has Cincinnati revamping its offensive line after only one game.

The Bearcats' offense evaporated during a 28-14 loss at Fresno State on Saturday night. A unit that is full of playmakers failed to score again after getting a touchdown early in the second quarter.

The numbers were stunning. Zach Collaros got sacked eight times; by comparison, Cincinnati allowed 15 sacks all last season. Collaros lost 71 yards while trying to run away from the pass rush. On its last nine drives, Cincinnati never went more than 22 yards.

"It was shocking," junior guard Alex Hoffman said after practice Tuesday. "We made the mistakes. It was nothing we didn't prepare for, nothing we hadn't seen before. It was all on us."

Some debut for first-year coach Butch Jones, who considered the offense the strength of the team. After only one game, he's considering changes. Jones might revamp the offensive line for a home game Saturday against Indiana State.

"We may move a few individuals around to different spots," Jones said. "We're going to open up the competition again."

Cincinnati has two new starters on the offensive line, which got overwhelmed by Fresno State's pass rush. In the second half, plays quickly broke down because Collaros had little time to look downfield. The running game didn't work, either -- Isaiah Pead had only 36 yards on 10 carries and struggled to block bigger pass rushers.

"I think it was a combination of a lot of things," Jones said. "Sometimes it was maybe Zach holding onto the ball a little bit too much, the next time a receiver not getting open on the perimeter or running a poor route, or just an individual losing a one-on-one matchup. And the running backs come into play there. So it's not just directly pointed at the offensive line, but it is an issue. We're getting to work on it."

The Bearcats held their first workout Tuesday at a new practice field, one that gives them more privacy. Until now, they've practiced at nearby Nippert Stadium, where fans were free to wander by and watch the workouts.

Jones wasn't happy with how his players performed physically in the near-100 degree heat at Fresno State. There were more contact drills during an afternoon workout Tuesday with temperatures around 90 degrees.

"We went a little longer in practice, hit a lot more than we did last week," Collaros said. "They're trying to bring a toughness to this team that we feel we've lost."

Cincinnati also lost receiver Vidal Hazelton, who tore a knee ligament and is out for the season. He was expected to replace Mardy Gilyard in the Bearcats' spread offense. Hazelton returned three kickoffs and had six catches for 68 yards before tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee on Saturday night.

Hazelton sat out last season after transferring from Southern California. Senior Marcus Barnett, who had only 10 catches last season, will move into his receiving slot. Last year, Barnett spent time playing cornerback after injuries depleted the secondary.

"He hasn't played much in recent years," Jones said. "Now it's his opportunity to come in and make amends for the last couple of years, so we'll see how that goes."

DominoMaximo
9/7/2010, 07:30 PM
I guess OUr strength of schedule isn't as good as it looked preseason . . .

Thank God, because if we play the way we did against USU we would be in trouble if cincy was more competitive.

BoulderSooner79
9/7/2010, 07:30 PM
I don't think many of us were counting Cincy too much for our SOS; I know I wasn't. They lost their coach and their defense was really bad last year. They made Tebow look better than Bradford as a pure passer - that pretty much defines bad defense. But they are a BCS conference team we will play on the road and they only lost 1 last season. I have much more respect for FSU and AFA. But I wasn't counting USU for SOS points, so what do I know.

rawlingsHOH
9/8/2010, 12:38 AM
I'll start considering SOS factors around late October.

oudavid1
9/8/2010, 12:44 AM
I'll start considering SOS factors around late October.

No Need!

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/-NbHEgBeWHQ/0.jpg

I have a plan for October.

soonerfromgeorgia
9/8/2010, 06:30 AM
Cincinnati's and FSU's strength of schedule also doesn't look that great after OU's showing Saturday.

Widescreen
9/8/2010, 07:40 AM
Recently we've struggled against "road" and it didn't matter what jersey color they were wearing. We'll have our hands full.

texaspokieokie
9/8/2010, 07:43 AM
true.

TahoeSOONER
9/8/2010, 09:49 AM
I was in Fresno for this game, wondering what the **** was going on in Norman, but I've never seen a Oline fade that fast in a game.

They were dominating Fresno early and then all of the sudden that Oline just tanked, weird game.

yermom
9/8/2010, 10:08 AM
Fresno St. is no slouch, really

their record vs. BCS teams is pretty good

playing them on the road seems like a scary proposition

stoopified
9/8/2010, 10:18 AM
I'll start considering SOS factors around late October.Ditto. SOS doesn't matter until you are positioning for postseason.

oumartin
9/8/2010, 10:20 AM
This teams road woe's and that performance last Saturday should drill into everyones head not to even think of taking anyone lightly and that includes fans.
Lets get past FSU somehow then worry about the next opponent

Crucifax Autumn
9/8/2010, 12:15 PM
Does it really matter much if the FANS take someone lightly?

Widescreen
9/8/2010, 12:59 PM
Nope.

soonerloyal
9/8/2010, 01:10 PM

Of course it does, silly. Don't you know that the strength of the team is directly tied into our psyches? As we believe, so playeth the players. We saw proof of that on Saturday. If we'd been serious about USU on here, it woulda been a blowout victory. :rolleyes:

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2010, 01:16 PM

Yes - it clogs the message board with angst postings.