PDA

View Full Version : Wort penalties

bent rider
9/7/2010, 01:36 PM
Based on his brief interview on News9 last night, I have some worries about Tom Wort. Is this guy a head case? He had two personal fouls in one drive Saturday that really stung and he seemed to think there is nothing wrong with his play.

salth2o
9/7/2010, 01:37 PM
I chalk it up to immaturity for now. If the problem persists, then it's a big problem.

pappy
9/7/2010, 01:39 PM
In wort's interview immediately following the game saturday night he apologized for the 2 personal foul penalties and said he wouldn't let that happen again.

KantoSooner
9/7/2010, 01:41 PM
I seem to recall watching Bob rip him a new one immediately after the last penalty. Then we went away to a commercial. When we came back...there was Bob, looking around for and finding Tom....and going over to work on him some more.
I think the lad got the message that Bob was mad.

Collier11
9/7/2010, 01:43 PM
What is the motivation for starting this thread? What exactly made you think that Wort is a head case who doesnt care at all about his team?

Mississippi Sooner
9/7/2010, 01:43 PM
I seem to recall watching Bob rip him a new one immediately after the last penalty. Then we went away to a commercial. When we came back...there was Bob, looking around for and finding Tom....and going over to work on him some more.
I think the lad got the message that Bob was mad.

Yep. I remember all of that, too. In fact, when they came back from commercial, I was wondering if someone had hit the rewind button. Bob was fuming.

soonerborn30
9/7/2010, 01:45 PM
linky?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2010, 01:46 PM
Wort hates winning and playing well

delhalew
Wort was another guy who played well, but had major disipline problems. As time goes by, I get more confident the players in question will get the message.

Collier11
STEP hates cleaning up

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2010, 01:48 PM
c11 hate birds as much as I do now

ouleaf
9/7/2010, 01:50 PM
Despite the penalties, I thought Wort played a pretty good game. think he finished with like 7 or 8 tackles, 1 for loss. Definitely look forward to what he can bring to the defense this season and the seasons to come.

What isn't good though is when both your CB's are the team leading tacklers :(

oumartin
9/7/2010, 01:52 PM
I gotta tell ya, the last personal foul Wort got was BS. I saw their qb get lit up alot worse and closer to the helmet than wort was and not get called.

They are against Wort thats all it is. ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2010, 01:53 PM
the refs hate the english

bent rider
9/7/2010, 01:53 PM
What is the motivation for starting this thread? What exactly made you think that Wort is a head case who doesnt care at all about his team?

ahem,

Based on his brief interview on News9.

Perhaps I misjudge, but he seemed very nonchalant about it. His body language and speech didn't give me a lot of confidence he was contrite and going to shape-up, but I guess he's a linebacker, not applying to be chief orator for the University. And, granted, there may be some explanation like it being the 1000th time he had been asked about the penalties. That's why I ask here.

Collier11
9/7/2010, 01:56 PM
He doesnt need to be contrite to the media, he needs to fix the problem and play better

Collier11
9/7/2010, 01:57 PM
the refs hate the english

you hate black people

yankee
9/7/2010, 01:58 PM
i hope we blow people out for the rest of the season and every part of the team plays perfectly...that way we don't have to have stupid threads popping up each week.

The Ghost of Mex
9/7/2010, 01:58 PM
you hate black people

I love black people...just sayen'. I love all people.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2010, 01:59 PM
i hope we blow people out for the rest of the season and every part of the team plays perfectly...that way we don't have to have stupid threads popping up each week.

ohh to be young again...my friend the threads would be even worse then

Collier11
9/7/2010, 02:00 PM
YOU CANT HANDLE THE BLACK PEOPLE

Jello Biafra
9/7/2010, 02:00 PM
its in thier makeup....we need him running down hill unassing people from the turf. ill take a few mess ups now to have him ready to blow up the longhorns and have the schlonghorns giving him a rusty trombone on the 50 yard line at the cotton bowl...

some of them are serously crazy...i knew of one that peed on himself before every football game on purpose.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2010, 02:01 PM
YOU CANT HANDLE THE BLACK PEOPLE

I've handled a few

Collier11
9/7/2010, 02:02 PM
Havent you guys seen Snatch

Collier11
9/7/2010, 02:02 PM
I've handled a few

what was his name? Amhad Kabba

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2010, 02:03 PM
what was his name? Amhad Kabba

Carl

fwsooner22
9/7/2010, 02:05 PM

Boy ain't that the truth.

Widescreen
9/7/2010, 02:05 PM

No, there will always be stupid threads around here.

Collier11
9/7/2010, 02:07 PM
or stupid people posting in decent threads

oumartin
9/7/2010, 02:11 PM
Or stupid people starting and posting in stupid or decent threads in turn making them stupid threads!

I resemble the above! :)

meoveryouxinfinity
9/7/2010, 02:12 PM
Not my chair not my problem thats what i say

BoulderSooner79
9/7/2010, 02:17 PM
Stupid is as stupid does.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2010, 02:18 PM
some folks call it a sling blade I call it a kaiser blade

Collier11
9/7/2010, 02:20 PM
You call it 'mini pickle'

rawlingsHOH
9/7/2010, 02:35 PM
Based on his brief interview on News9 last night, I have some worries about Tom Wort. Is this guy a head case? He had two personal fouls in one drive Saturday that really stung and he seemed to think there is nothing wrong with his play.

He is like the Boz in reverse. Got the hype, the mohawk, and the injuries, now just needs to learn how to play.

Leroy Lizard
9/7/2010, 02:40 PM
Perhaps I misjudge, but he seemed very nonchalant about it. His body language and speech didn't give me a lot of confidence he was contrite and going to shape-up, but I guess he's a linebacker, not applying to be chief orator for the University. And, granted, there may be some explanation like it being the 1000th time he had been asked about the penalties. That's why I ask here.

He doesn't owe us an explanation. He only answers to Stoops and Venables. If he needs to appear contrite, then he needs to appear contrite to Stoops and Venables.

freshchris05
9/7/2010, 02:47 PM
He is like the Boz in reverse. Got the hype, the mohawk, and the injuries, now just needs to win 2 Butkus Awards.

FIFY...

TMcGee86
9/7/2010, 02:55 PM
He graded out highest on the defense.

I didn't see the interview but maybe that's what he meant by he's okay with his play.

rawlingsHOH
9/7/2010, 03:04 PM
He graded out highest on the defense.

I didn't see the interview but maybe that's what he meant by he's okay with his play.
Ryan Reynolds used to grade out higher than Curtis Lofton all the time too.

Many different ways to grade, probably just assignment oriented. But that is good that he is picking things up so well.

ratherthanlater
9/7/2010, 03:31 PM
I think the kid was jumped amped up. I'm willing to bet he got the message about penalties being a bad thing all week long in practice and will have a solid outing against FSU.

goingoneight
9/7/2010, 03:43 PM
The no call helmet-to-helmet shot on Dejuan Miller frustrated me. I know it's only Utah State, but we seem to get penalized for even farting in the wrong general direction.

btk108
9/7/2010, 03:46 PM
he's been playing Rugby all his life...he's trying to adjust. I like him, he brings some Swagger.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2010, 03:47 PM
SWAGGER!

BoulderSooner79
9/7/2010, 03:52 PM
The no call helmet-to-helmet shot on Dejuan Miller frustrated me. I know it's only Utah State, but we seem to get penalized for even farting in the wrong general direction.

Incorrect farting should be penalized.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2010, 03:57 PM
especially when facing the wrong way

KantoSooner
9/7/2010, 04:25 PM
Well, I am obligated to step in here. As President of the North American Free Flatulence Union (NAFFU), let me assure you that there is a well oiled set of rules concerning easing oneself in public.
This might not be the proper venue in which to air these persistent questions, but a singular observation is no doubt in order.
The prime faux pas when relaxing one's nethers in public is silence. It's simply not fair to leave your mark and walk away without acknowledging ownership. Either allow the natural exuberance to sing forth on its own or at least raise your hand afterwards and announce, "That would be me".
More details available at www.gaspride.com

BoulderSooner79
9/7/2010, 04:28 PM
You still didn't address direction and which ones are wrong. But you seem well versed in the (farting) rules, so I'll take your word for it. I'm just a lowly practitioner going by street rules.

bent rider
9/7/2010, 10:50 PM
Well, I heard Borel smelled of elderberries.

delhalew
9/7/2010, 11:00 PM
He is like the Boz in reverse. Got the hype, the mohawk, and the injuries, now just needs to learn how to play.

Ok...that's funny.

texaspokieokie
9/8/2010, 06:44 AM
according to DMN; Wort played well & had 13 tackles. of course, he was severely chastised for the penalties.

EstablishedSooner1967
9/8/2010, 08:45 AM
Bent Rider are you football idiot?
He had two personal fouls in one drive Saturday that really stung and he seemed to think there is nothing wrong with his play.
Fist off, lots of players have had two... it was his first college football game ever he is a very aggressive player and at times things get to you people during the game especially if you are being aggressive and the other team gets away from you. the emotions get the best of you! Is it right NO.. does he need to get it in check YES is he a head case? I doubt it.. or maybe you should ask if Bosworth was a head case? Was Torence Marshall a head case?

gaylordfan1
9/8/2010, 08:47 AM
Go watch that play where he blew up the QB and got that personal foul. Man, he accelerated through Borel! That must have hurt. Listen, this was his first game since HS. Everyone including the coaches have said that he plays balls out 100% every play. Thats not such a bad thing for a LB. He has the skill set but just lacks maturation.... which will come. BTW, I doubt that is the last time Wort gets a late hit call on the QB. Just saying.

rawlingsHOH
9/8/2010, 08:51 AM
according to DMN; Wort played well & had 13 tackles. of course, he was severely chastised for the penalties.

official stats show...
1 solo tackle
6 assists

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2010-2011/01_usu.html

texaspokieokie
9/8/2010, 08:53 AM
DMN says 13. comes from Bob & Venables.

StoopTroup
9/8/2010, 09:31 AM
In the old days even small children weren't afraid of worts. Things have changed....

http://www.isee2002.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/wart.jpg

stoopified
9/8/2010, 10:44 AM
Despite the penalties, I thought Wort played a pretty good game. think he finished with like 7 or 8 tackles, 1 for loss. Definitely look forward to what he can bring to the defense this season and the seasons to come.

What isn't good though is when both your CB's are the team leading tacklers :(According to what I heard from Myron Patton and James Hale, Wort was credited with 13 total tackles.That said yes he needs to rein himself in.Bob apparently knew the guy is hyper,recall his warning (only half in jest ) that Wort might hit people in the stahds and the fans in the first couple of rows should watch out.

Widescreen
9/8/2010, 11:22 AM
BTW, I doubt that is the last time Wort gets a late hit call on the QB. Just saying.

It's a good thing Colt McCoy is gone. All you had to do is look at him funny and it was roughing the passer or a late hit. Wort would've made Colt combust.

bent rider
9/8/2010, 11:26 AM
In the old days even small children weren't afraid of worts. Things have changed....

Nowadays kids are oddly attracted to Hogwarts.

delhalew
9/8/2010, 11:42 AM
It is worth keeping in mind that we want these kids to be head hunters, and then we get upset when they don't notice master is tugging the leash.
It was his first game, let's not judge him to harshly just yet.

rawlingsHOH
9/8/2010, 12:26 PM
It's a good thing Colt McCoy is gone. All you had to do is look at him funny and it was roughing the passer or a late hit. Wort would've made Colt combust.

The 2008 game was totally ridiculous. Changed the entire outcome.

SoonerFrance
9/8/2010, 12:33 PM
Seems like maybe Wort should be more cautious, and play less reckless. :D

delhalew
9/8/2010, 12:44 PM
Seems like maybe Wort should be more cautious, and play less reckless. :D
Spek!

Pricetag
9/8/2010, 12:47 PM
He was going to play last year before the injury, wasn't he? If he's normally such an excitable guy, I can't imagine how jacked up he must have been after waiting a year.

PalmBeachSooner
9/8/2010, 01:04 PM
[QUOTE=TMcGee86;2943306]He graded out highest on the defense.

QUOTE]

That's not really saying a lot considering it wasn't a great team effort.

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2010, 01:19 PM
[QUOTE=TMcGee86;2943306]He graded out highest on the defense.

QUOTE]

That's not really saying a lot considering it wasn't a great team effort.

Not necessarily true, since we don't know the grade.

Pigface1
9/8/2010, 03:02 PM
He grew up in the UK playing rugby and he's only been playing football for a few years. He's extremely raw. With that said, it's good having someone out there ready to kill everybody. Tune him back just a bit and we have another Torrance Marshall.

Get'em, Wort.

44BluesExplosion
9/8/2010, 03:08 PM
My hope is that Wort becomes this team's Ontei Jones. By that, I mean he becomes our nasty edge... We need one.

Scott D
9/8/2010, 04:25 PM

you make that sound like it would have been bad.

badger
9/8/2010, 05:05 PM
NewsOK is not calling him the "British Boz."
Link (http://newsok.com/is-ou-linebacker-tom-wort-the-british-boz/article/3492980?custom_click=headlines_widget)
http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/1128452/medium

Since this is not Jenni Carlson's idea, I must admit that it is kind of catchy. Actually, I like it quite a bit (it is not Berry Twammel's idea either)

rawlingsHOH
9/9/2010, 09:16 AM
"He was very productive on our grade sheet," said defensive coordinator Brent Venables. "But he got blocked too much, he missed too many tackles and he had two personal fouls, so the negative far outweighed the positive in my book.
What I saw.

And like I said earlier, the grading system is probably just about going thru with your assignments and reads properly, nothing to do with making plays.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/9/2010, 09:19 AM
What I saw.

What about Travis Lewis? he has had big problems with getting off blocks..wonder if he has improved any..

rawlingsHOH
9/9/2010, 09:37 AM
What about Travis Lewis? he has had big problems with getting off blocks..wonder if he has improved any..

Lewis looked much more physical and much less blockable than Wort. At least from my view in Section 108. He's not Lofton in that regard, but further along than Rufus.

gaylordfan1
9/9/2010, 10:44 AM
Lewis looked much more physical and much less blockable than Wort. At least from my view in Section 108. He's not Lofton in that regard, but further along than Rufus.

Yea, T. Lewis fought off blocks very well last week. Made a lot of plays off the the block.

htownsooner7
9/9/2010, 10:50 AM
His second unnecessary roughness penalty was pretty legit. Not only was he late in going for the qb's head, as they were driving down to the ground, he was still trying to get his helmet on the quarterbacks. I like that. If you're going to get a penalty, earn it. This kid has a violent streak, no doubt.

gaylordfan1
9/9/2010, 11:00 AM
His second unnecessary roughness penalty was pretty legit. Not only was he late in going for the qb's head, as they were driving down to the ground, he was still trying to get his helmet on the quarterbacks. I like that. If you're going to get a penalty, earn it. This kid has a violent streak, no doubt.

I noticed that... he did a double helmet tap on the way down. It was a pretty solid hit. I'm surprised it didn't rattle Borel.

Pigface1
9/9/2010, 11:07 AM

I agree 100%. It's nice to see someone on defense play angry.

He'll get better. My concern is and Ronnell in pass protection.

Collier11
9/9/2010, 11:08 AM
You realize Ronnell didnt play LBer last week

tator
9/9/2010, 11:14 AM

"Why does Stoops hate sportsmanship?"

rawlingsHOH
9/9/2010, 11:16 AM
I agree 100%. It's nice to see someone on defense play angry.

He'll get better. My concern is and Ronnell in pass protection.
Not going to be in it.

tator
9/9/2010, 11:24 AM
I thought Wort was fine. If you can't enjoy a late hit on the QB every now and then, what's the point of it all?

sooneron
9/9/2010, 11:36 AM
or stupid people posting in decent threads

I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread.

:D

htownsooner7
9/9/2010, 11:47 AM
I thought Wort was fine. If you can't enjoy a late hit on the QB every now and then, what's the point of it all?

I assume you are being somewhat comical, but I completely agree. Wort got a stupid penalty there, but damn if he wasn't going after that guy with all he had. I like to see that mentality. Hopefully, he'll pick his spots better (not 2 penalties in 4 plays) but keep coming after people.

delhalew
9/9/2010, 12:19 PM
I'm still so high on this kid. I love a bloodthirsty killer.

TUSooner
9/9/2010, 01:05 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about substandard brewing practices. :O

Collier11
9/9/2010, 02:32 PM
I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread.

:D

Too late, I was here first dumbing it up :D