PDA

View Full Version : Stoops just admitted that the offense was held back for USU.

adoniijahsooner
9/7/2010, 12:31 PM
he says we will see much more offense against FSU this weekend.

Any thoughts?

meoveryouxinfinity
9/7/2010, 12:33 PM
Thank Allah.

SoonerLB
9/7/2010, 12:36 PM
I'll be glad to see it, and even happier if it works! ;)

Hot Rod
9/7/2010, 12:39 PM
I'll have to watch the game again, but I couldn't remember if we moved Murray out to the slot on a 5-wide formation. Those usually get us a few yards.

However, we need something so that we don't have to use Murray the entire game!

adoniijahsooner
9/7/2010, 12:42 PM
I'll have to watch the game again, but I couldn't remember if we moved Murray out to the slot on a 5-wide formation. Those usually get us a few yards.

However, we need something so that we don't have to use Murray the entire game!

I know Murray didnt catch one pass.

NOVSooner
9/7/2010, 12:42 PM
I must be confused or missing something. if we held back the O and that was our performance with minimal plays than is opening it up more going to play more to landry's strengths or the o-line's, etc? guess we'll see but yes, i'm one who still belives in landry and the team and that our football world has not caved in at this point!

meoveryouxinfinity
9/7/2010, 12:43 PM
I know Murray didnt catch one pass.

IIRC we didn't even throw one to him

meoveryouxinfinity
9/7/2010, 12:45 PM
I must be confused or missing something. if we held back the O and that was our performance with minimal plays than is opening it up more going to play more to landry's strengths or the o-line's, etc? guess we'll see but yes, i'm one who still belives in landry and the team and that our football world has not caved in at this point!

I think opening up the play book is usually a good thing..

If X play doesn't work, we can try Y play. And then on Z down we can really catch them off guard by running B route.

StoopTroup
9/7/2010, 12:45 PM
Did they have to hold him down and give him Crimson belly slaps until he admitted it?

adoniijahsooner
9/7/2010, 12:47 PM
Did they have to hold him down and give him Crimson belly slaps until he admitted it?

Nah, he was pretty about it. He didn't looked stressed at all.

NOVSooner
9/7/2010, 12:49 PM
what else did he have to say from the presser? Landry say anything , also?

adoniijahsooner
9/7/2010, 12:52 PM

He appeared confident in everyone. Thinks the team tried to play a little too perfect, not reckless enough. Like I said, he seemed confident, or that may be his perpetual badass coming through.

Collier11
9/7/2010, 12:53 PM

"Mossis Madu, Frank Alexander, Pryce Macon will play; freshmen Aaron Colvin, Corey Nelson, Daniel Noble should play."

"Stoops also thinks players trying too hard to assert themselves after an 8-5 season may have led to players pressing vs. Utah State."

"Stoops thinks holding back good percentage of playbook after practicing those plays all summer "didn’t help us."

"Stoops: pass rush last week solid needs to work on containing QB. Taylor should be better this week played 26 snaps last week"

"O-Line further along then last season Habern a leader"

TXBOOMER
9/7/2010, 12:56 PM
It is all about execution....regardless of the play calling.

rawlingsHOH
9/7/2010, 12:58 PM
I'll have to watch the game again, but I couldn't remember if we moved Murray out to the slot on a 5-wide formation.

We did.

Collier11
9/7/2010, 12:59 PM
Kevin Wilson: "need a TE presence Haywood missed Saturday with a slight muscle pull"

adoniijahsooner
9/7/2010, 01:02 PM
Kevin Wilson: "need a TE presence Haywood missed Saturday with a slight muscle pull"

So is Haywood going to be play sat?

Collier11
9/7/2010, 01:08 PM
implied, I didnt catch where he said for sure

StoopTroup
9/7/2010, 01:08 PM
Sounds like Bob gave some Coaches a Crimson belly slap.

wzE2pro8Qb8

btk108
9/7/2010, 01:12 PM
The freakin presser keeps crashin Flash Player.

Oh..I DVR'd the USU game.....gonna burn it in case anyones interested.

adoniijahsooner
9/7/2010, 01:13 PM

I'm interested....No Homo.

SOFSooner
9/7/2010, 01:15 PM
Don't thank him, I've spent to much time trying to straighten up their mess to thank him! Thank Bud, Barry and Bob!

XingTheRubicon
9/7/2010, 01:16 PM
ahh, the vanilla, have your QB scramble toward defenders ploy.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/7/2010, 01:21 PM
ahh, the vanilla, have your QB scramble toward defenders ploy.

works every time! wait until next week when we play FSU and landry is spinning out of tackles like it's XBox and stiff arming defenders for an extra 10 yards.. they'll think he's TP. BRILLIANT

StoopTroup
9/7/2010, 01:22 PM
Stoops is gonna put them Indians on an Iceberg eating Ice cream this week.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_SJZOfgm04Og/TH0XMCnNWqI/AAAAAAAAAlY/T5-axsnpz6s/s1600/childrenbooks021.jpg

OUmillenium
9/7/2010, 01:25 PM
just say no...

oumartin
9/7/2010, 01:27 PM
Landry threw to Murray at least once and he didn't catch it. Of course taking one off the shoestrings isn't always easy

Widescreen
9/7/2010, 01:48 PM

Good idea. After watching that performance, I burned it too.

Breadburner
9/7/2010, 01:52 PM
Still....Like in every game it boils down to a handful of plays on the offense and defensive side of the ball that make a huge difference....Whether it be a turnover or two deep or some stupid penalties that give the other team first downs and momentum......

oumartin
9/7/2010, 01:54 PM

can you get me a copy of the USC game from Jan 2005 too please!

Fraggle145
9/7/2010, 02:00 PM
can you get me a copy of the USC game from Jan 2005 too please!

That game never happened dumb ***.

Collier11
9/7/2010, 02:01 PM
Whoa! Did your wife let you out of the cage today?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2010, 02:04 PM
leave him alone...he's already sexually frustrated

Fraggle145
9/7/2010, 02:05 PM
I've been in California... Got back friday night just in time for that crapfest on Saturday.

Collier11
9/7/2010, 02:07 PM
leave him alone...he's already sexually frustrated

everyone knows that libs dont get any

NormanPride
9/7/2010, 02:07 PM
Three or four formations, six or seven plays, no combo routes... this is not news. I'm glad to hear that Taylor is doing well, though!

oudavid1
9/7/2010, 03:56 PM
Three or four formations, six or seven plays, no combo routes... this is not news. I'm glad to hear that Taylor is doing well, though!

So is your avatar a dolphin with a .44?

Big Red Ron
9/7/2010, 04:28 PM
It's always been Stoops' MO to keep the playbook vanilla until we play a real defense. All we did was run off right tackle, run off left tackle and run a few screen passes.

The Ghost of Mex
9/7/2010, 04:57 PM
:eek: The game being as close as it was in the fourth, I’m newly impressed by the size of Stoops’ platinum balls for not breaking out a couple of secret plays toward the end. Very impressive…:eek:

Lott's Bandana
9/7/2010, 05:40 PM

J Calhoun was out there once or twice as well.

Intown
9/7/2010, 07:26 PM
This is something new- I wonder what convinced him to admit that a lousy game was part of the coaches fault.

Collier11
9/7/2010, 07:31 PM
Stoops has never had an issue blaming the coaches

BoulderSooner79
9/7/2010, 07:36 PM

Perfect example was the '07 CU game. Stoops blamed the coaches in general and KW raised his hand that he was the main culprit (I agreed). They beat the horns to following week.

DominoMaximo
9/7/2010, 07:47 PM
Perfect example was the '07 CU game. Stoops blamed the coaches in general and KW raised his hand that he was the main culprit (I agreed). They beat the horns to following week.

Interesting factoid you mention! I do know this... no matter if Stoops and Co. were actually holding back the play book, they struggled executing the bland portion of it. This is obviously a huge concern, in particular Landry Jones.

With that being said, on the defensive side of the ball I did not see a whole lot of blitz packages in this game.

I really hope we see a different team next week!

Intown
9/7/2010, 08:11 PM
He throws the team under the bus a whole lot more than he should. I believed KW's sincerity.

Collier11
9/7/2010, 08:13 PM
when has he ever thrown the team under the bus? If the team has a big head or is being lazy he will call them out but he has never thrown the team under the bus

OU-HSV
9/7/2010, 08:14 PM

And furthermore will it help our defense cover the pass better? ;)

Jdog
9/7/2010, 11:33 PM
Did Stoops say anything about holding back to keep it close to fool FSU.
Maybe anything about keeping the game close at the end to really get Jim Bo over confident.
Or maybe why he's letting the cat out of the bag mid week BEFORE the big game as rascally ploy to confuse FSU.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/8/2010, 08:53 AM
I'm really sick of this vanilla excuse crap!

Even if you're playing vanilla you can still execute the [insert Rex Ryan word here] play!

King Barry's Back
9/8/2010, 09:53 AM

Didn't watch the game. Saw the stats. Read the game summaries. Sounds bad.

I'm all for holding back against bottom feeders during blowouts, but those game summaries sound like we were in danger of actually losing the game.

If we had some extra offense that was ready to go, I am wondering why we didn't roll a little of it out there late in the 3rd and try to get an insurance TD.

But in Bob I Trust. He's proved me wrong before, several times.

stoopified
9/8/2010, 10:34 AM
No surprise.

starclassic tama
9/8/2010, 10:36 AM
Didn't watch the game. Saw the stats. Read the game summaries. Sounds bad.

nah... it was more of a case of we went up 21-0, and then just started playing really bad/lethargic. the game was obviously close, but there was never a real sense of oh sh*t, we might lose this one

EstablishedSooner1967
9/8/2010, 10:56 AM
What about the burnt defense?

tooslow
9/8/2010, 04:40 PM

Even if you're playing vanilla you can still execute the [insert Rex Ryan word here] play!

This!

I was going to ask why they did not run the plays the offense has supposedly worked hard on but never got to use during the game. So...... he basically admitted he was going to hold back on the playbook even if it cost us the game??

I did breathe a small sigh of relief when I saw that Vegas started us out as 8.5 point favorites. The Vegas oddsmakers know a helluva lot more than we do. ;) The public obviously sees it different, as the spead has already fallen by a full point. Must be a lot of people betting on FSU.

OUthunder
9/8/2010, 04:45 PM

No, just firing them....

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2010, 05:04 PM
This!

I did breathe a small sigh of relief when I saw that Vegas started us out as 8.5 point favorites. The Vegas oddsmakers know a helluva lot more than we do.

Yes, they know a lot about how homer fans bet. ;)

Collier11
9/8/2010, 05:04 PM
still havent seen one coach that needed fired

goingoneight
9/8/2010, 05:17 PM

Stoops didn't offer any excuses. Dean Blevins asked him about the playcalling and if there was more playbook that might have worked better. Stoops answered "yes, there will be more offense as we get further down the line." Deano continued on the same question and Stoops noted team struggles with overall execution. No excuse was even close to have been delivered. The whole PC he stressed that things need to get better.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/9/2010, 08:36 AM
Stoops didn't offer any excuses. Dean Blevins asked him about the playcalling and if there was more playbook that might have worked better. Stoops answered "yes, there will be more offense as we get further down the line." Deano continued on the same question and Stoops noted team struggles with overall execution. No excuse was even close to have been delivered. The whole PC he stressed that things need to get better.

I wasn't accusing Stoops of making excuses. There's a lot of people on this board who want to make excuses for why we stunk Saturday night and can't admit we just stunk.

And I don't buy the 'we got up 21 and took our foot off the pedal' either because outside of that first drive in general and Demarco in particular I thought our offense stunk all night even when we were up 21-0.

UTsucks
9/9/2010, 08:50 AM
The mustache just isn't that good. The only thing that was held back was almost losing.

rawlingsHOH
9/9/2010, 08:51 AM
I wasn't accusing Stoops of making excuses. There's a lot of people on this board who want to make excuses for why we stunk Saturday night and can't admit we just stunk.

And I don't buy the 'we got up 21 and took our foot off the pedal' either because outside of that first drive in general and Demarco in particular I thought our offense stunk all night even when we were up 21-0.

And I was concerned with our defense when we were up 21-0. They were still moving the ball on us, total yardage was about even, just a matter of time before they put points up.

Okie35
9/9/2010, 10:11 AM

They're a difference between foot off the pedal and playing too relaxed.

goingoneight
9/9/2010, 10:24 AM
I do think some of what Stoops eluded to is true about guys going out there and trying to be "too perfect." it makes sense that a normally quiet group damn near lost their minds when they actually made a play. I think they truly wanted to go out there and throttle USU and found themselves beaten by a better-than-they-expected offense. USU had trouble with the Murray most of the night, but most teams do... I'll say this about them, though... their defense had guys in position to make plays all night long. Normal "patsies" don't usually do that. Murray and Broyles are always good in Norman, but Stills, Clay, Kenney, Calhoun, Ratterree all were contained pretty well. Kenney still appears to be that guy who's on the brink of stardom, but not quite there yet ala Manny Johnson in 2007 and Quentin Chaney.
The DL, for all that's been said was "good" against USU, gave Borel WAY too much time as well as freedom to extend plays. If he doesn't dance around in the pocket all night long, they probably never score. Credit Borel all you want to, he's a great QB... but with Ponder, Griffin and Johnson on the schedule, OU needs to fix their own problems with that kind of QB.

soonerborn30
9/9/2010, 11:03 AM
Don't forget Arnaud in that group. He's pretty mobile too.