PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Littles and Sunshine Pumpers: meet Realists...

goingoneight
9/7/2010, 02:25 AM
It's time to talk about a game that probably two weeks ago looked like a virtual cinch.

Reasons why preseason publications are focktarded pretty clear already. OU, Florida, Texas and on the opposite end of the spectrum tOSU, FSU, and even OSU have no real measurement after week one... but at least now 50% of the perrenial "sunshine pumpers" have been silenced. As far as everyone who's 1-0 and held miraculously onto their spot in the top 25 (including us), we'll see soon if these teams have any fight or improvement in them.

Florida State cruised to 1-0 the same way Stoops did in his first game at OU. Anyone remember Indiana State? Some teams make you look like world-beaters. See: North Texas 2007, UT-Chatanooga 2008. Other teams, you just never know until you get a few more games into it all (TCU 2005, UAB2006, BYU 2009). The team Oklahoma seemingly puked down their legs against last weekend could end up being a surprise 10-win or so team, just another "nice" team or could end up being the patsy they were supposed to be.

Bottom line: September 11, 2010 is rapidly approaching. The game is inevitable. We know Landry Jones is capable of better. We know that in Oklahoma's current 31-game home winning streak that a few closer-than-it-shoulda been wins have happened. See: Baylor 2005, aTm 2005, UAB 2006, Mizzou 2007, 2009 KSU and now 2010 USU.

What does 31 in-a-row mean for 9/11/10? Other than a bunch of previous OU teams took pride in their home field, really nothing. FSU is bringing in a good team that looked "seamless" as ESPN's "experts" have pointed out. There's a lot to be said for a team that goes out and plays a good game, no matter how good or bad the opposition is. Example: OU throttled UNT, and continued to look good the rest of the season. It seems every year we have a "name" program on the OOC schedule. This year's "name" team won't be as bad as Washington was in 2006 and 2008, they won't be as bad as bad as Miami was in 2007. They have a dangerous QB in Ponder, and a veteran OL. We're talking about FSU's offense first because it's pretty obvious FSU's offense versus OU's defense was going to be the ballgame all along. Ponder will remind people much of Sam Bradford if he remains upright all evening as Borel did.

Ponder may or may not have an all-everything set of targets, but he hits them with great accuracy and is a smart player, taking what comes easy underneath as well as the big plays when he catches you sleeping in coverage. With OU's secondary nearly unconscious last weekend, this is bothersome. What is even more bothersome is the middle of the field missing healthy Adrian Taylor and Gerald McCoy's presence as much as they are. Ponder won't beat us by extending plays vertically like Borel did, but if Casey Walker, Stacy McGee and Adrian Taylor can't get anymore push in the middle, Ponder will extend plays by stepping up into a clean pocket.

Assessment: Ponder will challenge OU if the level of play isn't greatly "cleaned up" as Stoops, Venables and Travis Lewis have all stated needs to be done. Foolish penalties will be the difference-maker if we can't rid ourselves of them. Example: it's third and long, you sack the QB... you commit an unnecessary roughness penalty and the dangerous offense retains possession to haunt you some more. Sound familiar, Tom Wort? Sack the QB, pop up, head for the sideline and let the special teams take the field, you put the game in the offense's hands.

The other end of the game (that all of a sudden looks a bit more scary than it did in the off-season): OU offense versus FSU defense:

It's awfully hard to guage what improvements Mickey Andrews' players have made since handing over the reigns to the younger Stoops brother, Mark. We know the influence the other Stoops brothers have made, but it's still hard to tell when you're playing Samford. Samford was NOT able to say that they had the 12th-ranked offense a year ago ala USU. You just can't compare apples to oranges anyway. USU and Samford were supposed to be patsies, and we made ours look good, regardless of how good they truly are.

Assessment: Landry Jones held onto the ball too long trying to force downfield throws. This IMO is one of two things. He's feeling the heat to show how much he's improved (sophomore slump) or the young protection isn't quite where it needs to be yet. Both can be corrected. We've all seen Jones have one bad game followed up by a great one before. It's a cointoss as to whether he'll be the normal LJ or the guy who was thinking WAY too much last weekend. It all starts with him. Murray should be good, and his top backup will be back to lighten the load of 35 carries a week ago.

Receivers showed exactly what Stoops complained about a few weeks ago. And while I'm not tooting my own horn, many fans like myself were concerned about the fact that Cameron Kenney and a true freshman started ahead of Miller and Reynolds. For whatever reason that is, it's hurting us. Kenney had some nice moments, but he wasn't consistently open in the way previous complementary receivers have been (Bradley, Iglesias, Johnson). The whole unit is still causing uncertainty offensively. Miller looked just fine when he was in there, so he needs to get out of Stoops's doghouse, however it is he got in there, and the rest of the guys need to live up to their billing. Again, maybe USU might end up being decent defensively, but bet your bottom dollar no matter how good or bad FSU's defense ends up being, they have better athletes across the board.

My opinion: I haven't been this unsure of an OU victory since Stoops arrived. If we clean up OUr game penalty-wise, we should be competitive against FSU, and we have to execute better to be OUr usual dominant selves this coming Saturday. We're one bad break or one key injury away form some serious problems if we don't step it up outside of Broyles and Murray. We're also just a few, nagging little problems away from being a really good team.

No score predictions, no fire coach talk from me... just sayin' we still look like an 8-5 team until I'm shown otherwise. FSU may end up being so as well, but what they do outside of 9/11/10 doesn't matter. We need this W for some 2010 momentum. Utah State can best be described from a fan's perspective as "falling into a pile of shat and coming out smelling like roses."

Crucifax Autumn
9/7/2010, 02:34 AM
Good stuff. One thing you didn't mention that I think will help is Alexander's return.

goingoneight
9/7/2010, 02:39 AM
Alexander being back in the mix will definitely force Ponder to move up quicker if he wants to avoid a sack.

I don't see Madu as a game-changer, but I'll take it if he ends up being one. :D

I'm wanting to know where Austin Haywood and Jaz Reynolds are. Hopefully "secret" weapons like Gresham and Murray were in 2007 when we began to use them differently all of a sudden for Texas.

soonerinkaty
9/7/2010, 02:39 AM
Dude do you ever sleep? Nice write up btw.

goingoneight
9/7/2010, 03:19 AM
Work schedule allows for later posting. :D

soonerborn30
9/7/2010, 08:49 AM
Alexander being back in the mix will definitely force Ponder to move up quicker if he wants to avoid a sack.

I don't see Madu as a game-changer, but I'll take it if he ends up being one. :D

I'm wanting to know where Austin Haywood and Jaz Reynolds are. Hopefully "secret" weapons like Gresham and Murray were in 2007 when we began to use them differently all of a sudden for Texas.

I can see Madu being a great security blanket for LJ given his catching ability. All LJ needs is another body out there that he can trust. Don't get me wrong, I think it sucks that he didn't trust his protection or whatever, but until he can get comfy with the line, we've gotta have all our weapons out there at his disposal. I don't think we're going to keep too much hidden this week. FSU's gonna get all we got.

BoulderSooner79
9/7/2010, 09:31 AM
No score predictions, no fire coach talk from me... just sayin' we still look like an 8-5 team until I'm shown otherwise.

A blunt statement that pretty much sums up how I feel after game 1. As everyone has pointed out, it's just 1 game and may not be a good indicator, but I'm not sure. Also, I didn't see the game, just followed the play by play along with others observations, so I'm sure that colors my impression. My main reasons for uneasiness

- Stoops teams typically start the season fast and Bob's demeanor seemed to exude confidence. I think he was surprised at the level of play (and not in a great way).

- LJ didn't play like a guy with another spring and fall camp under his belt. Even discounting typical 1st game sloppiness, he didn't perform like that "completely different guy" that Stoops talked about. Our offense requires good and consistent play from the QB position.

- 35 carries by DM. If that's required to win, DM won't last to the UT game.

I'm not as worried on defense. The personal foul thing can be fixed immediately as can some of the other mistakes. The big questions are 1) can the corners cut down on the coverage mistakes and 2) will our DT rotation be good enough to allow the DEs and LBs to make the plays.

Okie35
9/7/2010, 09:33 AM

You serious?! I wouldn't want Murray to carry the ball 35 times against FSU. Stoops said if Madu was playing last week Murray wouldn't have had that many carries. You better believe he'll be a game changer. Isn't he on the return team too.. Plus he's a good catching RB as well. Oh, he'll be a game changer.. a nice change of pace back.

Okie35
9/7/2010, 09:36 AM
No score predictions, no fire coach talk from me... just sayin' we still look like an 8-5 team until I'm shown otherwise.

Yea at the end we did. When it was 21-0, we didn't. If we play w/ that intensity all game, we'll win fairly easy.

BoulderSooner79
9/7/2010, 09:37 AM
You serious?! I wouldn't want Murray to carry the ball 35 times against FSU. Stoops said if Madu was playing last week Murray wouldn't have had that many carries.

Which is a worrisome statement to me. I totally agree about the 35 carries; I just expected the other available backs to be able to contribute and even supply a change of pace.

Mjcpr
9/7/2010, 09:41 AM
If I remember correctly, one of the true FR's (I forget which) first touch was a carry on 3rd and 2. We didn't get it. Seems like you'd want to start them out with something a little less crucial....??

BoulderSooner79
9/7/2010, 09:45 AM
If I remember correctly, one of the true FR's (I forget which) first touch was a carry on 3rd and 2. We didn't get it. Seems like you'd want to start them out with something a little less crucial....??

Yep, so where was Calhoun - a 3rd year player.

Okie35
9/7/2010, 09:58 AM
Yep, so where was Calhoun - a 3rd year player.

I don't think KW had any faith in them. The whole game was weird to me. The backups barely had carries. Calhoun only 1 carry :confused:

btk108
9/7/2010, 10:03 AM
Maybe LJ forgot to take care of something before the big game

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Film/Pix/pictures/2000/02/01/theressomething.jpg

Okie35
9/7/2010, 10:05 AM
I honestly think this game will be like the game against KU two years ago.

SOONERKAT
9/7/2010, 10:13 AM
"many fans like myself were concerned about the fact that Cameron Kenney and a true freshman started ahead of Miller and Reynolds"

^
This ...

By the third quarter, I was asking myself where the hell Reynolds was. LJ seemed keyed on Kenney and Stills when he was not throwing to (or behind) Broyles. Miller had a couple of sightings, but not as many as I would like to have seen. Until he gains his confidence (and to save DM from another early season injury) he should focus on the short game with Madu, Reynolds and Miller, then hit 'em long with the others. FSU is GOING to bring the heat all day and Landry is going to get himself and his happy feet killed if the we see the same scheme this weekend. I have a feeling that KW and crew tried to keep it simple against USU, but I don't buy into the whole "sandbagging" suggestion.

delhalew
9/7/2010, 10:19 AM
Spek to goingoneight.

Just one question. Having not seen the game, I had heard Kenney showed some improvement from last year. Is that incorrect?

btk108
9/7/2010, 10:20 AM
he caught three passes....one was a called back TD. I'd say that was a def improvement.

SOONERKAT
9/7/2010, 10:25 AM
he caught three passes....one was a called back TD. I'd say that was a def improvement.

This TD was called back as a result of HIS illegal motion, if I am not mistaken. I recall Stoops givning him an earful after the play. Shame too 'cause the TD was a real beauty. He had about three steps (if not more) on the defender. Hopefully, these are the kinds of things you work out after the first game.

Hands = Much Improved, from what I saw.

delhalew
9/7/2010, 10:27 AM

OK. That is good news, but I still want to see Reynolds. He was really coming on toward the end of last season.

btk108
9/7/2010, 10:27 AM
yah....but he still caught it....3 for 3 on what was thrown to him. If you'd told me he could have done that I'd have told you that you were crazy.

ousooners182
9/7/2010, 10:51 AM
3 for 3 and he also had a good little kick return and a nice hurdle on the return!

it was definitely an improvement over the cam kenney against idaho state last year scared of catching anything across the middle because of the big bad safeties of idaho state :0

Okie35
9/7/2010, 10:54 AM
This TD was called back as a result of HIS illegal motion, if I am not mistaken. I recall Stoops givning him an earful after the play. Shame too 'cause the TD was a real beauty. He had about three steps (if not more) on the defender. Hopefully, these are the kinds of things you work out after the first game.

The team really needs to keep the penalties in check... the game could've easily been like 45-7... if it wasn't for SIMPLE mental mistakes and BASIC fundamentals.

Breadburner
9/7/2010, 11:12 AM
The team really needs to keep the penalties in check... the game could've easily been like 45-7... if it wasn't for SIMPLE mental mistakes and BASIC fundamentals.

I agree....I would take at least 7 away from USU and give us another 14....

StoopTroup
9/7/2010, 11:35 AM

An earfull of what? Could have been an ear full of don't worry about the call....that looked great now go back out there and do it again without the penalty!

btk108
9/7/2010, 11:41 AM
An earfull of what? Could have been an ear full of don't worry about the call....that looked great now go back out there and do it again without the penalty!

Not the kind of "earful" you get, buddy ;)

StoopTroup
9/7/2010, 11:47 AM
Folks who think they know what a Coach is saying....cracks me up

goingoneight
9/7/2010, 12:25 PM
Spek to goingoneight.

Just one question. Having not seen the game, I had heard Kenney showed some improvement from last year. Is that incorrect?

He had a cool move on special teams and he didn't drop a pass, the biggest knock on him last year, but USU had him blanketed one-on-one. Miller may need to improve or get out of the proverbial doghouse, but I saw him fight for the ball a lot last year and he's a bigger (easier) target to throw to than Kenney. Then again, so are most of the other guys. Kenney's not big.

Hey, if they're wearing Sooner red, I don't care if their name is Dooshey Hornlovwr McDropsies, as long as they make plays. Miller seemed to do that last season just fine, and he looked fine against USU also.

rawlingsHOH
9/7/2010, 12:33 PM
Folks who think they know what a Coach is saying....cracks me up

90% of communication is non-verbal. It is fairly easy to spot a coach who isn't pleased with his player. Unless you are socially retarded.

OU_Sooners75
9/7/2010, 12:45 PM
Some people just don't really know anything outside of OU football:

USU and Samford were supposed to be patsies, and we made ours look good, regardless of how good they truly are.

1. Samford is not even D-1A (FBS) they are FCS (D-1AA).
2. USU could have easily been a bowl team last year if they had scored just a few more points.
3. USU had more returning players (15 out of 22) than Samford (11 out of 22). In fact USU is one of the most experienced teams (as in returning starters) we will face this year.

They are not world beaters by any means, but they are not exactly the same caliber of teams either.

StoopTroup
9/7/2010, 12:48 PM
90% of communication is non-verbal. It is fairly easy to spot a coach who isn't pleased with his player. Unless you are socially retarded.

I thought you would have gone with "Bob is telepathic". Wow.

http://www.marveloverpower.com/OverPower/Marvel_OverPower/MarvelOverpowerPics/mopspecials/Phoenix_TelepathicPower.jpg

cvsooner
9/7/2010, 12:59 PM
To a certain extent, the first game is always hard to get a feel for. It could be something as simple as OU collectively had a bad night and USU had a good one.

On reflection, we were in pretty good control of the game midway through the second quarter, up 21-0, and then allowed them to score 10 points right before halftime. Suddenly USU realizes they're still in this thing.

It's not easy learning how to win. If Stoops' teams over the past few years have displayed over and over, it's a lack of cold-bloodedness in putting away an opponent, consistently. It's there at times...at other times, it's not. And especially in close games.

It's almost become a cliche, if not already, but OU let the Aggies hang around and had a hard time pulling away. There was much that was good, but a dozen big plays nearly killed us.

The good news is it didn't. The bad news is longer term it's a trend that has seemed to elude this coaching staff regardless of who the players are.

StoopTroup
9/7/2010, 01:14 PM
I think it was because their fans were to nice.

rawlingsHOH
9/7/2010, 01:21 PM
If Stoops' teams over the past few years have displayed over and over, it's a lack of cold-bloodedness in putting away an opponent, consistently. It's there at times...at other times, it's not. And especially in close games.

You are going to have to dumb this down for me...

Especially in close games they fail to put an opponent away.

Isn't that kind of the definition of a close game?

StoopTroup
9/7/2010, 01:24 PM
We are pretty good at winning when we never get behind....

When someone gets on top of us....not so well.

soonerbub
9/7/2010, 01:32 PM
I think the D grew up in the 4th Q while the O regressed a bit. I also peg USU as a 6-6 team or better--they didn't even have their best running back. Their offense was sort of K-stateish to me--one we struggle with especially when they mixed in the option game. Ponder is not a threat to run but the secondary HAS to play better or the "streak" may be over.

SOONERKAT
9/7/2010, 02:06 PM

Ripping off of headphones in Stoops fashion, animated speech to the pont of the viewer actually being able to see the spit coming out of his mouth, the player staring into the distance rather than looking at the coach, Stoops continuing to "speak" as he was walking away, then turning around to "talk" to him some more.

As for the penalties, did anyone keep track of how many series were extended due to penalties and how many of these extended series led to USU points. I would like to say that Stoops went after Wort as well, but perhaps I am the one who is socially retarded here.:rolleyes:

BoulderSooner79
9/7/2010, 02:21 PM
I think it was because their fans were to nice.

No, it's "they're fans are *two* nice". Geez.

cvsooner
9/7/2010, 06:31 PM
You are going to have to dumb this down for me...

Especially in close games they fail to put an opponent away.

Isn't that kind of the definition of a close game?

No, not necessarily. It can be close and...

For example, last night. All Virginia Tech has to do to win that game is make a first down and run out the clock. They don't get it done. They lose.

Against BYU last year, all we had to do to win was get a stop on BYU on the last drive. Or, make that late field goal.

However, we did well against A & M in 2006, Oregon in 2005 Holiday Bowl and Stanford in the Sun Bowl.

I think to elaborate a bit what I mean is having a lead, late, and not being able to keep it, either through controlling the ball or the defense getting it back for you. Our ability to do that lately has been less than stellar.

cvsooner
9/7/2010, 06:32 PM
No, it's "they're fans are *two* nice". Geez.

Golly. It's "there fanz air *too* knice". Morans.

Intown
9/7/2010, 07:00 PM
Nobody's going to convince me I don't know mediocrity whey I see it.

cvsooner
9/7/2010, 07:12 PM
As for the penalties, did anyone keep track of how many series were extended due to penalties and how many of these extended series led to USU points. I would like to say that Stoops went after Wort as well, but perhaps I am the one who is socially retarded here.:rolleyes:

Wort had the two penalties on the same drive that led to 3 points. OU actually benefited from penalties more than USU did: I count two drives that kept going due to USU penalties. And the drive USU had on the field goal, a penalty actually stopped them...they had achieved the first down but the ineligible receiver downfield on the fake field goal brought them back.

Jdog
9/7/2010, 11:22 PM
If our Defense doesn't step up and play any better this week, Ponder will burn em for at least 4 TD passes - probably more like 5.

I Am Right
9/8/2010, 09:41 AM
I thought Landry was a candidate for the Heisman

rawlingsHOH
9/8/2010, 09:57 AM
Absolutely. Coming off a freshman year where he put up very solid numbers, and being the QB of a contending team, always puts you in the discussion.

StoopTroup
9/8/2010, 10:12 AM

The show on ESPN I saw had 20-30 guys contending....lol

sooneron
9/8/2010, 10:14 AM

I still don't get that. Calhoun comes in and picks up 5, they send him out and send in a Fr. As I was listening , I was like "WTF"???

stoopified
9/8/2010, 10:32 AM
Winning cures everything,lets go beat FSU.Maybe I should winning against good teams.

NOVSooner
9/8/2010, 10:33 AM

this is what has most of our fans concerned....