PDA

View Full Version : Take out Bob Stoops for argument sake

Collier11
9/6/2010, 11:50 PM
Who are the Top 5 Coaches in CFB

IMO and in no particular order, Urban, Mack, Chris Peterson, Saban, Gary Patterson

stoops the eternal pimp
9/6/2010, 11:51 PM
I have to agree with you..good list

Collier11
9/6/2010, 11:52 PM
Thats why I posted it, duh

stoops the eternal pimp
9/6/2010, 11:54 PM
I was all prepared to argue with you too...I may do it anyway

Collier11
9/7/2010, 12:11 AM
save your breath, youre wrong...I can tell

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2010, 12:14 AM
Saban probably the best of the bunch

Collier11
9/7/2010, 12:16 AM
Unfortunately id have to agree, I think him and Urban are in the running for #1. Stoops doesnt get near enough national credit for going to 4 national title games in 8 years but he isnt in this discussion so nevermind :D

Statalyzer
9/7/2010, 12:19 AM
Tressel deserves to be up there, but not sure who I'd take out.

Collier11
9/7/2010, 12:24 AM
I think Tressel is in the top 7

yankee
9/7/2010, 12:58 AM
mack? he's too hands-off for me to include in my top 5.

Breadburner
9/7/2010, 01:03 AM
Pat Hill Fresno St..

sooner59
9/7/2010, 01:04 AM
Looks like a legit list. Can't argue.

soonerinkaty
9/7/2010, 01:07 AM
Pat Hill Fresno St..
You might be onto something. With more talent, he could be hard to handle. Hell he already is with average athletes.

sooner59
9/7/2010, 01:13 AM
Pat Hill is arguably a solid #6.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2010, 01:14 AM
fresno has kind of been on a downhill slide over the last few...

They havent won the WAC in years and are constantly beaten by guess who

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2010, 01:16 AM
hasnt won his conference since 99 and only topped 10 win season once

sooner59
9/7/2010, 01:16 AM
True, but he has a good resume, and his counterpart is already on the list.

sooner59
9/7/2010, 01:18 AM
He probably isn't in the top 10 if we want to be realistic. Its hard to win at big time schools. And you get overlooked by mid-majors who overachieve. It happens.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2010, 01:21 AM
the more I read his resume the less I am impressed..He is probably one of the more admired because of his attitude and lack of fear, but he hasn't even beaten a top 25 team in years..

He is one of my favorites, but not a top 15 coach IMO...

OUstud
9/7/2010, 01:23 AM
Pat Hill's really overrated. I can't remember the stat, but they haven't finished high in the WAC in awhile. I would say: Saban, Meyer, Tressel, Petersen, and...you know what? Pinkel. He's done things at Mizzou that haven't ever been done. Flame away.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2010, 01:24 AM
I really would like to know what Pinkel has done, especially when talking about being a top 5 nationally when I wouldnt have him top 5 in this conference

MojoRisen
9/7/2010, 01:36 AM
I hope we are not always playing the Nationalist - As long as the refs and the media and the pimps and gamblers and all that keep it real with the Athletes- I'll have to throw in Houston Nutt..

Crucifax Autumn
9/7/2010, 01:43 AM
Everyone knows John Blake is the greatest coach evar!

oudavid1
9/7/2010, 02:09 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_h91E5W0796g/S12_80TBEeI/AAAAAAAAATw/y7TNQlDbZmI/s320/Mike_Leach.jpg

The most popular!!!!!!!!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/7/2010, 02:24 AM
Tressel deserves to be up there, but not sure who I'd take out.Mack Brown could/should not be in the top 5. No argument with the other 4 named by Collier11.

goingoneight
9/7/2010, 02:36 AM
I don't know that Mack is as successdul anywhere else ut Tejas, but you could say the same for any other big name at a big program. Bottom line for Mack is his record, especially the last six years. He slips up as much as anyone else out there and still puts great (10 win) teams out there every year. Does Tressell do that with a monopoly on the BIG 10? Stoops doesn't even do it EVERY year. Mack's finally landed good enough assistants to win an MNC who aren't going anywhere the next three, five, ten seasons IMO.

Crucifax Autumn
9/7/2010, 02:37 AM
Heh...And he still can't win one without vince. lol

GKeeper316
9/7/2010, 03:23 AM
Heh...And he still can't win one without vince. lol

oooooooooooo wicked burn

meoveryouxinfinity
9/7/2010, 08:04 AM
1. Saban
2. Meyer
3. Tressel
4. Brown
5. Peterson
If Tressel doesn't have an undefeated regular season, he drops to #5 this season. If they get to the national championship, he is more or less = Bob Stoops, who I'd put a smidgen higher.
Brown hasn't dominated his conference like Tressel and Stoops have.
I have to believe the jury is still semi-out on Peterson. Just not a long enough tenure to decide.

oumartin
9/7/2010, 08:23 AM
I really like this Chris Peterson fella. His teams are super prepared and he is either a genius or surrounds himself with amazing coaches. I only needed to see a couple of plays yesterday to reinforce my belief that if he were to get a big time job you best watch out.

There was a punt from VT to BSU in like late first or early second quarter. The kid fields the punt and there was a teamate in front of him who (instead of blocking the defender in the back) waited for the kid who fielded the punt to make his move then let the defender get turned around before blocking him. It was a thing of beauty to watch on tv and I did it no justice. there was a flag on the play for a block in the back on the play but I am quite sure it wasn't on this kid and I am not sure there was even a legit flag on the play.

That and the way they come out in big games and just take it to the other team is awesome. Sure they had a let down but man they come out firing.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2010, 08:26 AM
The folks that think Mack Brown isnt that good need to look at the texas program before he got there..

And Martin is spot on...

meoveryouxinfinity
9/7/2010, 08:30 AM
The folks that think Mack Brown isnt that good need to look at the texas program before he got there..

And Martin is spot on...

Ohio State is in the championship talk more often than Texas. For good reason. Where was OSU before Tress? Where was OU before Stoops? Where was Florida before Meyer? Where was Alabama before Saban?

Harry Beanbag
9/7/2010, 08:31 AM

Yeah, doesn't really matter if he's hands on or not. He finally fixed his coaching staff shortcomings for the most part, owns the state of Texas in recruiting, and has a better/more consistent program than Bob Stoops right now. If you denigrate him for not getting his hands dirty in the coaching details, you have to do the same with Barry Switzer.

stoopified
9/7/2010, 08:33 AM
Brown,Meyer,Saban,Tressel.Bob obviously is the only other one desrving to be in the top five.Petersen needs a real job at a real school to get in there .I honestly feel Bill Snyder belongs there too but he doesn't have any Crystal Balls.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2010, 08:34 AM
Ohio State is in the championship talk more often than Texas. For good reason. Where was OSU before Tress? Where was OU before Stoops? Where was Florida before Meyer? Where was Alabama before Saban?

And all those coaches who you listed are also in the top 5 or 6 coaches, which is my argument why Brown belongs..you just proved my point

meoveryouxinfinity
9/7/2010, 08:36 AM
And all those coaches who you listed are also in the top 5 or 6 coaches, which is my argument why Brown belongs..you just proved my point

I put Brown in my top 5, but he's near the bottom and miles away from Saban, Meyer, or Stoops.

Frozen Sooner
9/7/2010, 08:37 AM

Ohio State was in pretty good shape with John Cooper. They had trouble beating Michigan, but they were a fairly consistent top 10 program.

oumartin
9/7/2010, 08:37 AM
I think you all give Bob too much credit.

Not to say he isn't up there close but I personally don't have him in my top 5

meoveryouxinfinity
9/7/2010, 08:40 AM
I think you all give Bob too much credit.
probably, but this stuff changes every year.. or every game.
Bob has 4 NC appearances and 6 Big XII trophies. He's basically = Tressel, but I'd say he's the better coach, playing better competition.

rawlingsHOH
9/7/2010, 08:58 AM
Who are the Top 5 Coaches in CFB

IMO and in no particular order, Urban, Mack, Chris Peterson, Saban, Gary Patterson

I agree on all but Mack. He's simply a figure-head.

Okie35
9/7/2010, 09:01 AM
Saban, Meyer, Peterson, Patterson, & Tressel.

Okie35
9/7/2010, 09:03 AM
probably, but this stuff changes every year.. or every game.
Bob has 4 NC appearances and 6 Big XII trophies. He's basically = Tressel, but I'd say he's the better coach, playing better competition.

Yea Bobs played better comp in bigger games but Tressel actually has a winning bowl record.