PDA

View Full Version : Frank Beamer

JLEW1818
9/6/2010, 10:35 PM
fired on the spot.

end of story.

u don't pass on 3rd down with 2 minutes left, and the opposing team has zero timeouts.

wow. I'm glad he is not my coach.

Indy Sooner
9/6/2010, 10:36 PM
He has been overrated for years...this is nothing new.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/6/2010, 10:37 PM
just one of those schools where winning 7 or 8 ball games a year is enough...Texas Tech, Kansas State, VT...all about the same

colleyvillesooner
9/6/2010, 10:38 PM
So if they ran, didn't get it and punted that puts the ball with Boise with just over a minute.

They scored in 32 seconds. Wouldn't have mattered.

JLEW1818
9/6/2010, 10:41 PM
"didn't get"

how do you know?

u still kill clock, and puts way more pressure on Boise. They not longer have a 2 minute drill that they practice everyday.

come on man. Beamer sucks, and lost that for his team.

tnraider1
9/6/2010, 10:42 PM
I agree, if you are going to pass in that situation, make it a high percentace pass, not a bomb.

Post 1,000, only took me 9 years. LOL

goingoneight
9/6/2010, 10:44 PM
I'm pretty sure that everybody's pedestal defensive coordinator Bud Foster would be blamed if that happened at OU. VT's defense gave up too many points and didn't force a pick all night long.

JLEW1818
9/6/2010, 10:46 PM
Moore is a great college quarterback

Eielson
Beamer made the right call.

tnraider1
VT's D only gave up 16 points. Credit all the rest to the special teams and offense. The 17 points in the first were not the defenses fault.

JLEW1818
9/6/2010, 10:47 PM
yah, made the right call, pass long on 3rd and long, with 2 minutes left, and your opponent has zero timeouts.... right call

goingoneight
9/6/2010, 10:48 PM
Beamer made the right call.

The game wasn't lost in the last five minutes. Much like the OU/Boise game, VT let them do their thing all night long by giving them opportunities.

Eielson
9/6/2010, 10:50 PM
yah, made the right call, pass long on 3rd and long, with 2 minutes left, and your opponent has zero timeouts.... right call

They would've lost either way if they didn't get the first. He went for the win. Good call. The defense just needed to step up.

JLEW1818
9/6/2010, 10:51 PM
you don't know that. it changes everything. it was the incorrect call.

i love how everybody calls you out. u come in when games are over and say what was right and wrong, or how u knew it the entire time. ur so full of fail.

if they run, it changes everything.

Blues1
9/6/2010, 10:52 PM
VT F$%^ UP -- Run up The Middle - Run up The Middle - Run up The Middle -
Use all the time to Punt - Get 5 Yard Penality - Then Punt --- Probably about 35 sec's Left at that point - Make one Defense Stop -- Game Is Over ---
Repeat VT ~~ F@#&^ Up -- JMHO ~~~~ :)

Jason White's Third Knee
9/6/2010, 10:53 PM
Beamer ball = dumbass play calling.... and good special teams.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/6/2010, 10:54 PM
less time on the clock, changes where they punt from, lots of things are different if they run the ball...oh well, its over

DenverSooner751
9/6/2010, 10:54 PM
They didn't lift enough weights.....

I agree on the Beamer being a rah-tard for that call. You could say BSU got lucky....but we've seen it before....they get a break late in a big game and they take advantage of it.....BIG time.

Going into this one I was indifferent, and truthfully still am.

Two observations I will take away from this game:
1 - Tyrod looked a bit like another mobile VT quarterback from about 10 years ago. If Beamer can figure out how to not blow a game plan then he could seriously lead the team to surprise those of us that love to bash Beamerball.

2 - BSU Luck? Seizing opportunity? Who knows.....but it seems to happen frequently for them. And by luck, we're not talking about your QB throwing the ball out of bounds and letting time expire and then having the refs put a second back on so you can kick the winning field goal.....BSU still had to work for the result after getting lucky. The penalties and no-calls towards the end could be debated, but all in all......it's what it is.

Eielson
9/6/2010, 10:55 PM
you don't know that. it changes everything. it was the incorrect call.

i love how everybody calls you out. u come in when games are over and say what was right and wrong, or how u knew it the entire time. ur so full of fail.

if they run it changes everything.

Boise State scored with 1:09 left. You can't run that off in one play. You're so angry you can't think straight.

And I'm going to ignore your personal attacks.

CrimsonRez
9/6/2010, 10:55 PM
This just ****ed the whole season...for everybody. Now Boise is going to take a spot in the MNC from a team that actually deserves it...and no Boise does not deserve it. You can beat Va Tech all you want but it doesn't mean you deserve the MNC

JLEW1818
9/6/2010, 10:56 PM
can't think straight?

you probably are the only person on this message board that thinks Beamer made the correct call...

Eielson
9/6/2010, 10:58 PM
you probably are the only person on this menage board that thinks Beamer made the correct call...

Does that make me wrong? Boise State sliced right through VT's defense. I don't see how running or passing the ball on the previous possession would've changed that.

JLEW1818
9/6/2010, 11:01 PM
because the clock would have continued to run.

creating more pressure on Boise State.

Field position could have been way different.

don't look out the outcome for a second. because i posted it when the play actually happened.

the correct call was/is to run the ball and kill 40 more seconds off the clock.

on a side note.

yes VT had their chances on D to stop them yes.

I'm thankful Beamer is not my coach.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/6/2010, 11:02 PM
boise state had no timeouts at the time right?

JLEW1818
9/6/2010, 11:02 PM
boise state had zero timeouts.

Stoops would be getting flamed so hard if this happened to us

Blues1
9/6/2010, 11:03 PM
because the clock would have continued to run.

don't look out the outcome for a second. because i posted it when the play actually happened.

the correct call was/is to run the ball and kill 40 more seconds off the clock.

on a side note.

yes VT had their chances on D to stop them yes.

I'm thankful Beamer is not my coach.

YEP - Right - Correct - Should Have - and VT F&*^#$ Up ~~~ :D

stoops the eternal pimp
9/6/2010, 11:04 PM
mmm.. take the clock down with a run, and then take a DoG before punting?

Sooner04
9/6/2010, 11:04 PM
I told my wife as the deep ball was in the air on 3rd and 8 that VT is doomed if it falls incomplete.

That pass was nothing more than a gift of 45 seconds. I cannot believe a guy paid millions of dollars to coach a football team could make a mistake like that.

100% inexcusable.

Eielson
9/6/2010, 11:06 PM

When was the last time pressure negatively affected Boise State?

A few yards?

NorthernIowaSooner
9/6/2010, 11:07 PM
Does that make me wrong? Boise State sliced right through VT's defense. I don't see how running or passing the ball on the previous possession would've changed that.

whether your up by 1 point or 100 points that was the wrong call. beamer did not give his team the best chance to win with that play call.

it really doesnt matter how quickly boise scored b/c thats after the point, you should put yourself in the best position to win i.e. give boise the ball with least amount of time possible to score. beamer failed at that tonight, regardless if they won or lost its the wrong call.

JLEW1818
9/6/2010, 11:08 PM
lol

JLEW1818
9/6/2010, 11:10 PM
yall hush, eilson said Beamer made the correct call to pass on 3rd and long with 2 minutes left, up a few points, with the opponent having zero timeouts..

hush! he's right!

Eielson
9/6/2010, 11:13 PM
Knowing how the game finished, VT loses either way if they don't get a first down.

JLEW1818
9/6/2010, 11:14 PM
VT can start by not going down 17-0

agreed.

god i hate boise :D

sooneron
9/6/2010, 11:16 PM
Facepalm post in ...3....2..

BoulderSooner79
If it works, he's a hero with balls of brass - some here just don't like the outcome. It was an excellent, entertaining game - especially for a 1st game for both teams. I just wish Taylor didn't blow that throw on the last 3rd down to a wide open receiver which would have given them a great shot at a FG and OT. Bonus free football! Woo-hoo! But it wasn't to be.

And OU is still 1-0

Crucifax Autumn
http://www.motifake.com/demotivational-poster/0806/outgunned-cops-enthusiasm-demotivational-poster-1214199550.jpg

sooneron
9/6/2010, 11:21 PM
A bad play call is what it is... a bad play call. With <1:30 on the clock and no timeouts, Boizee is forced to throw lower percentage passes downfield. That's a fact. They don't have the luxury of knowing that there is still enough time with a couple of drops here and there. Not that there were.
Also, Williams not staying in bounds earlier on the drive didn't help either.

VA Sooner
9/6/2010, 11:25 PM
Lots of dumb mistakes in the beginning of the game, cost them 17 points.

But they came back and kept their heads about them by keeping BSU scoring only 9 points in the second half... until the bone-headed call for a pass on 3rd down. In fact, on any down with just over 2 minutes.

Ryan Williams made a dumb mistake by running out of bounds in the end... but to throw on third down and give Boise State good field position?

Beamer pulled a Les Miles on this one. Or actually.... his offensive coordinator Stinespring did. 40 seconds less on the clock changes the dynamics... more pressure, more mental errors.

Hell of a game though. Sloppy as all hell with the turnovers and penalties.

Collier11
9/6/2010, 11:33 PM
Boise State scored with 1:09 left. You can't run that off in one play. You're so angry you can't think straight.

And I'm going to ignore your personal attacks.

Dead wrong Eielson, Boise got the ball with 1:47 left. Run a play and you run off about 5 more seconds atleast, 1:42, delay of game or TO with 1 second on play clock makes it 1:00ish, punt and return makes it around 50 seconds.

Now you can say Boise woulda won anyway and they may well have but 50 seconds with no TOs is alot harder than 1:47. It made a huge difference

sooneron
9/6/2010, 11:34 PM
Ooh, he said, "Dead Wrong"!!!

:D

Collier11
9/6/2010, 11:37 PM
Its on now

stoops the eternal pimp
9/6/2010, 11:40 PM
your all wrong..he should have ran it and then faked the punt

Dan Thompson
9/6/2010, 11:41 PM
Not very good clock management on VT's part.

BoulderSooner79
9/6/2010, 11:43 PM
Ryan Williams made a dumb mistake by running out of bounds in the end...
Hell of a game though. Sloppy as all hell with the turnovers and penalties.

Minor point; when Williams ran out of bounds it was well outside 2 minutes, so it doesn't hurt them. The clock pause to set the chains, but the play clock doesn't start during the pause, so they run off the same amount of time. Inside 2 minutes, the does stop until the next snap. It always annoys me when the announcer harps on this (as Herbie did) because the rule change happened a couple of years ago.

And yes, hell of a game. And a first game is bound to be sloppy, but it didn't ruin the game drama.

Collier11
9/6/2010, 11:46 PM
Next Saturday will be an epic day of CFB

OU vs fsu
Bama vs Penn st
Georgia vs South Carolina
Mich vs Notre Dame
Miami vs Ohio St
texas vs wyoming :D FAGS

BoulderSooner79
9/6/2010, 11:47 PM
Next Saturday will be an epic day of CFB

OU vs fsu
Bama vs Penn st
Georgia vs South Carolina
Mich vs Notre Dame
Miami vs Ohio St
texas vs wyoming :D FAGS

I'm buying me some extra strength Visine.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/6/2010, 11:47 PM
mich and ND may end up a game I have to see

Collier11
9/6/2010, 11:48 PM
That Mich QB is the real deal

stoops the eternal pimp
9/6/2010, 11:50 PM
my penis is the real deal

SoonerLB
9/6/2010, 11:52 PM
Too bad they couldn't both lose, but I'm thinkin' Boise did the country a favor by preventing Tie-rod from becoming the new love doll of all those east coast biased sportswriters. Now I'm lookin' forward to some team taking Pryor down at the ohiosucksU! ;)

Collier11
9/6/2010, 11:52 PM
real dill

BoulderSooner79
9/6/2010, 11:55 PM
Too bad they couldn't both lose, but I'm thinkin' Boise did the country a favor by preventing Tie-rod from becoming the new love doll of all those east coast biased sportswriters. Now I'm lookin' forward to some team taking Pryor down at the ohiosucksU! ;)

Finally, the voice of reason in this sea of BSU hatin'. There is good reason to hate 'em all :D

DenverSooner751
9/7/2010, 02:53 AM
Finally, the voice of reason in this sea of BSU hatin'. There is good reason to hate 'em all :D

+1

King Barry's Back
9/7/2010, 04:49 AM
Knowing how the game finished, VT loses either way if they don't get a first down.

You can't say that. A team with two minutes will call different plays than a team with 35 seconds, especiall considering no time outs. With two minutes, you can throw short passes along either sideline -- stopping the clock but deliberatedly working your way down the field. If you choose to go long, you have the security of knowing that the defense must still respect the close in passes.

With a do-or-die 35 second clock, you must advance the ball. The defense knows they can afford to give up plays underneath coverage and can tee-off on the long-ball.

Jacie
9/7/2010, 07:09 AM
Probably a sophomore thing (means not enough experience to know to do something) but on the plays leading up to the crucial 3rd & 8, Taylor was not letting the play clock run down before the snap, which winning coaches will instruct their players to do when in that situation. The snaps were coming with about 15 seconds left. The end result was an experienced team with 1:47 to work with instead of under a minute. It would have changed their play calling enough that maybe even Beamer's DC could have kept em out of the endzone . . .

Eielson
9/7/2010, 11:25 PM
Maybe if it was run again with less time BSU wouldn't have scored...but maybe if it was ran again VT would've completed the pass and got the first down. It's all a matter of playing to win vs. playing not to lose. I'm for playing to win, and I support Beamer's decision on that particular play.

Collier11
9/7/2010, 11:29 PM
That was not playing to win, it was an unnecessary risk. The %'s say a team going 50-70 yards with less than a minute are a lot less likely to score than a team going the same distance with double the time

btk108
9/7/2010, 11:36 PM
my penis is the real deal

Does your wife know yer on here?

Eielson
9/8/2010, 05:30 PM
That was not playing to win

First down wins the game.

Collier11
9/8/2010, 05:32 PM
and the chances of completing that pass were far less than running the clock down and winning, if they really wanted to pass to win, why not throw a sit down pass in the middle or on the boundary, not the route they ran

badger
9/8/2010, 05:37 PM
Remember the way Stoops ran out the clock against Stanford? I bet all of you were also going "wtf," because you weren't factoring in the time it takes for the refs to spot the ball :D

MI Sooner
9/8/2010, 07:12 PM
Dead wrong Eielson, Boise got the ball with 1:47 left. Run a play and you run off about 5 more seconds atleast, 1:42, delay of game or TO with 1 second on play clock makes it 1:00ish, punt and return makes it around 50 seconds.

Now you can say Boise woulda won anyway and they may well have but 50 seconds with no TOs is alot harder than 1:47. It made a huge difference

If Boise got the ball w/ 1:47 left, that was after VT both 1) ran their pass play, and 2) punted, so I hardly think you can count that as extra time they would have run off in the run scenario. They have a :40 second play clock, right? So the max difference is :40?

If they convert, there's a 100% chance they win. If they don't convert and give Boise the ball with 1:47, there's probably a 65% chance they win. If they don't convert and Boise gets the ball with 1:07, there's probably an 85% chance they win. You also need to estimate VT's chances of converting on a run (guessing <10% and pass ~35%?) to compute the odds. These percentages may be off by quite a bit, but they yield odds of:

If run:

10% chance of converting and winning, 76.5% chance (85% x 80%) chance of punting and winning for a total win% of 86.5%.

If pass:

35% chance of converting and winning, 42.3% (65% x 65%) chance of punting and winning for a total win% of 77.3%.

While those numbers may be BS, and it ignores certain scenarios like blocked punts, I suspect that the run option is better than pass if you 1) have confidence in your punt team, and 2) don't have reason to believe that a pass has an unusually high chance of working, such as something you found on film and have saved for just such an occasion.

35% of converting a winning,

JLEW1818
9/8/2010, 07:15 PM
it was 3rd and long. it's not even a question you run the ball, and if you get the first down you get it.

ohhh and a fast qb doesn't hurt either, which they had.

just another reason why VT and Beamer blow!

If Stoops would have done that, lol this board would be blown up by now.

Collier11
9/8/2010, 07:20 PM
If Boise got the ball w/ 1:47 left, that was after VT both 1) ran their pass play, and 2) punted, so I hardly think you can count that as extra time they would have run off in the run scenario. They have a :40 second play clock, right? So the max difference is :40?

If they convert, there's a 100% chance they win. If they don't convert and give Boise the ball with 1:47, there's probably a 65% chance they win. If they don't convert and Boise gets the ball with 1:07, there's probably an 85% chance they win. You also need to estimate VT's chances of converting on a run (guessing <10% and pass ~35%?) to compute the odds. These percentages may be off by quite a bit, but they yield odds of:

If run:

10% chance of converting and winning, 76.5% chance (85% x 80%) chance of punting and winning for a total win% of 86.5%.

If pass:

35% chance of converting and winning, 42.3% (65% x 65%) chance of punting and winning for a total win% of 77.3%.

While those numbers may be BS, and it ignores certain scenarios like blocked punts, I suspect that the run option is better than pass if you 1) have confidence in your punt team, and 2) don't have reason to believe that a pass has an unusually high chance of working, such as something you found on film and have saved for just such an occasion.

35% of converting a winning,

You have the math wrong, Boise got the ball with 1:47. If you add in the time run off for a run play on top of the time run off for a 40 second clock and then the time run off for a punt, you are looking closer to 40-50 seconds left...thats a huge diff

MI Sooner
9/8/2010, 07:21 PM
Do they not use the 40 second play clock (from the time the previous play is blown dead) all game? Do they switch inside the last two minutes?

Under the 40 second play clock system, it doesn't matter how long the refs take to spot the ball. That was the old 25 second system.

MI Sooner
9/8/2010, 07:24 PM
it was 3rd and long. it's not even a question you run the ball, and if you get the first down you get it.

ohhh and a fast qb doesn't hurt either, which they had.

just another reason why VT and Beamer blow!

If Stoops would have done that, lol this board would be blown up by now.

I don't understand. Are you saying you'd be more likely to pass on 3rd and short? I think that the best case scenario for passing is the one with the biggest differential between the conversion percentages of running vs. passing. On 3rd and short, you run (both run and pass are high). On 3rd and very long, you run (both run and pass are very low). On 3rd and medium to 3rd and long but makable, those are best times to pass, even if it's only "less bad" than the other cases.

Collier11
9/8/2010, 07:28 PM
The problem was not only the pass but the type of pass, it was very low percentage. Yea a run play might be as well but atleast you are running the clock and how many draw plays on 3rd and long do you see break for decent yardage

JLEW1818
9/8/2010, 07:44 PM
I don't understand. Are you saying you'd be more likely to pass on 3rd and short? I think that the best case scenario for passing is the one with the biggest differential between the conversion percentages of running vs. passing. On 3rd and short, you run (both run and pass are high). On 3rd and very long, you run (both run and pass are very low). On 3rd and medium to 3rd and long but makable, those are best times to pass, even if it's only "less bad" than the other cases.

you run the ball. regardless.

they were still on the wrong side of the 50.

say they were on the Boise 40... and they get a couple yards on third... then maybe they go for the throat on 4th, or punt and get inside the 20.

JLEW1818
9/11/2010, 04:11 PM
BUMP!!!!

GREAT COACHING BY BEAMER TODAY!!!

LOSING TO JAMES MADISON, HA

tulsaoilerfan
9/11/2010, 04:27 PM
Im sure the media will play it off as losing to Boise State took all the fight out of them lol

Eielson
9/11/2010, 05:37 PM
BUMP!!!!

GREAT COACHING BY BEAMER TODAY!!!

LOSING TO JAMES MADISON, HA

ZOMG CAPITAL LETTERS AND EXCLAMATION MARKS!!!

swardboy
9/11/2010, 08:38 PM
This took the shine off Boise....bwahahahaha

JLEW1818
9/11/2010, 08:39 PM
ZOMG CAPITAL LETTERS AND EXCLAMATION MARKS!!!

lol don't worry E, you are still wrong.

Eielson
9/11/2010, 09:50 PM
Sure.

jumperstop
9/11/2010, 11:22 PM
I bet the fire beamer talk is going crazy on their boards.

tnraider1
9/11/2010, 11:31 PM
Im sure the media will play it off as losing to Boise State took all the fight out of them lol

Yep, already heard it. "Let down after Boise St, 5 days rest, blah blah blah."