PDA

View Full Version : Anyone think that Idaho pulled an Oklahoma?

westcoast_sooner
9/6/2010, 08:06 PM
Most everyone knows that OU's commitment to football back in the late 40s, was in response to the Dust Bowl and negative image of the state.

Did Boise State take a page out of Oklahoma's "play book" and started to get their football program, since to build the image of their state.

Thoughts?

sooner59
9/6/2010, 08:08 PM
I don't think hash browns and french fries give them a bad rap. It is the smurf turf that does that. :D

85sooners
9/6/2010, 08:14 PM
:confused: :gary:

meoveryouxinfinity
9/6/2010, 08:23 PM
no. i think they started winning THEN people started to give a damn.

PrideTrombone
9/6/2010, 08:23 PM
http://www.gogaminggiant.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/facepalm.jpg

meoveryouxinfinity
9/6/2010, 08:27 PM
http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp308/Dreminem2/facepalm_implied.jpg

prrriiide
9/6/2010, 08:29 PM
Come back and ask that after they've won 47 in a row, 7 NCs, 42 CC's, have spent more weeks at #1, in the top 5 and in the top 10 than any other program, and are the #1 program in the modern era of the game.

IOW, wait 60 years and see if they're still relevant.

westcoast_sooner
9/6/2010, 10:18 PM
OK - one cannot ignore their recent relevance in the conversation. And when Bud was first hired, a lot of East Coast writers could have asked the same question.

King Crimson
9/6/2010, 10:20 PM
Come back and ask that after they've won 47 in a row, 7 NCs, 42 CC's, have spent more weeks at #1, in the top 5 and in the top 10 than any other program, and are the #1 program in the modern era of the game.

IOW, wait 60 years and see if they're still relevant.

this. and when the toughest, most bad *** two on one football drill is called "the Boise Drill", maybe. and never.

Sooner04
9/6/2010, 10:29 PM
OK - one cannot ignore their recent relevance in the conversation. And when Bud was first hired, a lot of East Coast writers could have asked the same question.
No. Jim Tatum and GLC got the ball rolling. They decided to scoop up every returning serviceman they could get their hands on and get them to play football for OU.

The first "great" team of the Wilkinson era, the mighty '49ers, were made up of a bunch of guys who signed the dotted line to play for Jim Tatum.

King Crimson
9/6/2010, 10:41 PM
George Lynn Cross, for those of you wondering.

prrriiide
9/7/2010, 12:21 AM
No. Jim Tatum and GLC got the ball rolling. They decided to scoop up every returning serviceman they could get their hands on and get them to play football for OU.

The first "great" team of the Wilkinson era, the mighty '49ers, were made up of a bunch of guys who signed the dotted line to play for Jim Tatum.

That's hard to say. Since Bud was Tatum's right-hand man, I suspect just as many of the players signed on to play for Bud as did to play for Tatum. And GLC wanted Bud, but the regents wanted a "proven" commodity. Turns out, they should have listed to GLC. We might have #8 already.