PDA

View Full Version : Boy Scout fundraising time!

badger
9/6/2010, 04:26 PM
I just got pwn3d for more overpriced popcorn. It's hard to turn down the first kid that bravely tries to sell you something, but after your heartstrings get pulled once for at least $10, it gets a lot easier for subsequent kids.

I was once a Girl Scout, and our boxes of cookies were only $2.50 (and now I think they're more expensive, but not more than $4 per box). It is so much easier to support more kids when the prices are lower so you can buy from everyone.

As is the case right now, I give in to the first kid, then apologize to the rest saying that I already bought from someone else (because I know NP will also give into at least one Boy Scout at his own workplace). :(

End rant.

SoonerJack
9/6/2010, 04:44 PM
Thanks for supporting Scouting, Badg.

My youngest son just got his Eagle on August 31. That makes me 2 for 2.

Scouting couldn't do all the things it does for young men without strong support from popcorn lovers like you.

Thanks much!

badger
9/6/2010, 05:16 PM
:) I like supporting scouting!

:mad: I just don't like tons of popcorn lying around the house for consumption... and the fact that the cheapest item is ten bucks... most years I think it's closer to 17, so it's an improvement, but still!

Curly Bill
9/6/2010, 05:35 PM
That popcorn sucks!

I'll buy a box or two of girl scout cookies, but popcorn in the can sellers will get nothin from me.

SoonerStormchaser
9/6/2010, 05:35 PM
Thanks for supporting Scouting, Badg.

My youngest son just got his Eagle on August 31. That makes me 2 for 2.

Scouting couldn't do all the things it does for young men without strong support from popcorn lovers like you.

Thanks much!

Heh...true that.

Me: Eagle
Both my brothers: Eagle
Teh hawt wife's two sons from her prior marriage: Eagle
Teh hawt wife's brother: Eagle

AlbqSooner
9/6/2010, 06:48 PM
I always buy stuff like that. Figure I am paying penance for all the crap I sold when I was a kid.

Far as the scouts, I did lots of things, but never did the paperwork to get the merit badges. I was a certified Water Safety Instructor by the Red Cross but never got a swimming merit badge. I was too busy learning/doing the next thing to fill out the forms.:O

badger
9/7/2010, 12:25 PM
Scouting was so awesome - I learned how to build fires from scratch, impersonate a bear to scare the younger scouts during camping trips, how to hide a flashlight's light so the troop leader wouldn't know you were still awake, etc. We older girls also taught the younger girls that hairspray and bug spray make really big flameage :D

But wow, those fundraisers. My parents didn't like 'em, even knowing they were necessary to help the troop out. I did the bare minimum for cookie sales (because the troops only got a few cents per box sale anyways), but the magazine sale - now there's where a troop could make money. We got nearly 50 percent of the subscription cost, and it was the same price as what people would pay if they just ordered it anywhere!

So anyways, popcorn grumbling aside, get your magazines through school and scout fundraising. You'll pay the same price and really, really help the kiddos out.

(psst - Jay! get the boy scouts to sell Sooner Spectator instead of popcorn!)