PDA

View Full Version : Serious objective question....

adoniijahsooner
9/5/2010, 11:25 AM
If Landry goes out against FSU, and performs the way he did last night, how long before Stoops pulls him for Drew Allen? Last night in the presser Stoops demeanor and words regarding the whole team were a little stressed, but he seemed a bit more bothered by Landry's play; even saying he would have to speak to Josh about why Landry was so uncomfortable. He said some of the protection break downs were due to Landry holding on to the ball too long. I didnt see the game, so I cant judge this for myself.

Hopefully this doesnt turn into a "Landry sucks" or a "Landry Pumper" thread; just looking for some honest feedback.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/5/2010, 11:30 AM
Bob was definitely harsh and candid about Landry in the press conference...as he should have been. Landry seems to still play like a freshman--he is wayyy to much of an emotional player or something. Once he gets off, he gets REALLY off. That tends to escalate and build upon itself. It was like he was rattled and he couldn't get the negativity off his back. He had no confidence by the end of the game.

Do we have something better behind Landry? I doubt it.. and I think Landry will not be replaced this year unless he has another 5 INT performance or something.

BoulderSooner79
9/5/2010, 11:31 AM
I say it depends on the D. A long as we are in the game, LJ plays; if it is slipping away... Hate to think about it because QB problems are the worst kind.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/5/2010, 11:37 AM
I think Landry will have to throw a couple of picks in to double coverage early and take more unnecessary sacks. He's the man right now. He shows flashes of greatness and needs to have a decent opportunity to get the ball to his receivers. If Drew Allen isn't showing that he is better, why bother pulling Landry?

I've said it before.

Troy Aikman was the best QB ever when he had the best line ever (coincidentally, Emmitt Smith was the best RB ever when he had the best line ever).

Troy Aikman sucked when his line sucked. He was a big tantrum throwing baby.

PLaw
9/5/2010, 11:39 AM
Bob was definitely harsh and candid about Landry in the press conference...as he should have been. Landry seems to still play like a freshman--he is wayyy to much of an emotional player or something. Once he gets off, he gets REALLY off. That tends to escalate and build upon itself. It was like he was rattled and he couldn't get the negativity off his back. He had no confidence by the end of the game.

Do we have something better behind Landry? I doubt it.. and I think Landry will not be replaced this year unless he has another 5 INT performance or something.

I think Landry would benefit from playing the loop with Sam. Simply, has to learn to shake off bad plays and focus on what's coming and not the water that's passed under the bridge.

Unless Landry gets it together, I think we are in store for a big time QB controversey next season. But, I had really high expectations for Landry coming into this season that I now think were probably unrealistic. That said, OU QB's during Stoops tenure have had pretty good ball security and make good decisions. Landry missed that marked against USU.

BOOMER

meoveryouxinfinity
9/5/2010, 11:43 AM
I think Landry would benefit from playing the loop with Sam. Simply, has to learn to shake off bad plays and focus on what's coming and not the water that's passed under the bridge.

Unless Landry gets it together, I think we are in store for a big time QB controversey next season. But, I had really high expectations for Landry coming into this season that I now think were probably unrealistic. That said, OU QB's during Stoops tenure have had pretty good ball security and make good decisions. Landry missed that marked against USU.

BOOMER

Look at it this way though. Say Utah State scores a TD and wins the game. People would be calling for Landry's head, no?
If we lose to FSU and Cinci in back to back games where Landry plays to the Utah State level, will he continue as the starter? Will Allen or Bell start getting meaningful snaps?

Hopefully we won't have to worry about any of this. Like I have said, Landry's problems are the most readily fixable of our woes. Plus, he has Broyles to bail him out.

adoniijahsooner
9/5/2010, 11:43 AM
I think Landry will have to throw a couple of picks in to double coverage early and take more unnecessary sacks. He's the man right now. He shows flashes of greatness and needs to have a decent opportunity to get the ball to his receivers. If Drew Allen isn't showing that he is better, why bother pulling Landry?

I've said it before.

Troy Aikman was the best QB ever when he had the best line ever (coincidentally, Emmitt Smith was the best RB ever when he had the best line ever).

Troy Aikman sucked when his line sucked. He was a big tantrum throwing baby.

From what I understand, Landry made the line look worse than they actually were, by holding on to the ball last night. How do you know if Drew is showing better or not when he hasn't even played? Maybe Drew is gamer, and will thrive when adversity hits, who knows?

Collier11
9/5/2010, 11:47 AM
We just have to face it, he isnt Sam or Jason or Josh, not yet. He has the skills and the smarts to be great, he just has to put it together.

Id say unless his play costs us a game he is the QB all year and I think he will get better

PalmBeachSooner
9/5/2010, 11:49 AM
There's something about LJ's demeanor that I don't like.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/5/2010, 11:50 AM
From what I understand, Landry made the line look worse than they actually were, by holding on to the ball last night. How do you know if Drew is showing better or not when he hasn't even played? Maybe Drew is gamer, and will thrive when adversity hits, who knows?

I don't know. I am assuming that the coaches do. The back up QB is always the most popular guy on a troubled team.

I had to listen to the feed too. I kept asking about the line and got both answers. The line was suspect and Landry held the ball when he could have pitched it OOB.

I guess I tend to stick with the guy that is in until I see him falter. I personally haven't seen a lot of that from Landry. I have seen him running for his life like in the Nebraska game last year. Again, I only heard the game last night.

Collier11
9/5/2010, 11:51 AM
Guys, weve played one game, we arent a troubled team. We beat a team who is better than they are perceived and we couldnt put them away, then the game got tense for a bit.

Now, if we lost to FSU or if Landry throws 3 pics or something we can worry, til then, lets chill

adoniijahsooner
9/5/2010, 11:52 AM
I don't know. I am assuming that the coaches do. The back up QB is always the most popular guy on a troubled team.

I had to listen to the feed too. I kept asking about the line and got both answers. The line was suspect and Landry held the ball when he could have pitched it OOB.

I guess I tend to stick with the guy that is in until I see him falter. I personally haven't seen a lot of that from Landry. I have seen him running for his life like in the Nebraska game last year. Again, I only heard the game last night.

Borel ran for his life last night too:D .

meoveryouxinfinity
9/5/2010, 11:53 AM
Guys, weve played one game, we arent a troubled team. We beat a team who is better than they are perceived and we couldnt put them away, then the game got tense for a bit.

Now, if we lost to FSU or if Landry throws 3 pics or something we can worry, til then, lets chill
Exactly. We should be worrying about our defense.
:pop:

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 11:55 AM
Landry had a bad night....I remember a few months back when he won the Sun Bowl against a pretty good Stanford Team.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/5/2010, 11:55 AM

I'd say we are troubled after that rather close game with a perceived cupcake. I have a lot of doubts, but I am not calling for anyone's head. That game could have gone a lot better with minimal effort, so that keeps me sane.

adoniijahsooner
9/5/2010, 11:56 AM
Exactly. We should be worrying about our defense.
:pop:

I'm actually less concerned about them, because I have see even some our best defenses bounce back after a bad performance.

Collier11
9/5/2010, 11:57 AM
I'd say we are troubled after that rather close game with a perceived cupcake. I have a lot of doubts, but I am not calling for anyone's head. That game could have gone a lot better with minimal effort, so that keeps me sane.

Ole Miss is troubled, they lost to Jacksonville St. UNC is troubled, they are in huge trouble with the NCAA, we are a young team that is learning just like Florida and Texas who both struggled with inferior teams...btw, Utah st. is probably better than Rice or Miami of OH.

CrimsonJim
9/5/2010, 11:58 AM
I'm actually less concerned about them, because I have see even some our best defenses bounce back after a bad performance.

As have some of our best offenses, if you've been around as long as I have.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/5/2010, 12:00 PM
Ole Miss is troubled, they lost to Jacksonville St. UNC is troubled, they are in huge trouble with the NCAA, we are a young team that is learning just like Florida and Texas who both struggled with inferior teams...btw, Utah st. is probably better than Rice or Miami of OH.

Semantics, I guess. Looks like Utah State is going to have a pretty good year! Our game was just too close... and our DBs need help.

adoniijahsooner
9/5/2010, 12:00 PM
Ok...first Landry is not happy with his scrimmage. Then he says last night that they saw some of the problems in the passing game in practice last week. Then we have the game and there are issues. Then Stoops needs to talk to Josh about why Landry was so uncomfortable; So people making this seem like a non issue are fooling themselves.

Collier11
9/5/2010, 12:01 PM
Remember in 04 when we struggled with Bowling Green, im not saying this team is 04 quality and im not saying Utah St. will go 9-3, im just saying that good teams can have off games against inferior teams. If we win this game by 30 we have alot less to work on...maybe this is a good thing. You have to think the talent is there right? If thats the case then we just have to get better

Jason White's Third Knee
9/5/2010, 12:01 PM
Anyone have any of the post game conference links?

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 12:02 PM
Ok...first Landry is not happy with his scrimmage. Then he says last night that they saw some of the problems in the passing game in practice last week. Then we have the game and there are issues. Then Stoops needs to talk to Josh about why Landry was so uncomfortable. So people making this seem like a non issue are themselves.

Post game interview.....Stoops said he was gonna talk with Josh and gets things worked out.

Collier11
9/5/2010, 12:03 PM
Semantics, I guess. Looks like Utah State is going to have a pretty good year! Our game was just too close... and our DBs need help.

Id be surprised if Utah St. didnt make a bowl game, doesnt mean we shouldnt have played better, I agree with that

Ok...first Landry is not happy with his scrimmage. Then he says last night that they saw some of the problems in the passing game in practice last week. Then we have the game and there are issues. Then Stoops needs to talk to Josh about why Landry was so uncomfortable; So people making this seem like a non issue are fooling themselves.

I am myself wondering why Landry regressed in this game from his last two games last year, I just dont think it is time to flip out yet...that is next week :D

Jason White's Third Knee
9/5/2010, 12:04 PM
Id be surprised if Utah St. didnt make a bowl game, doesnt mean we shouldnt have played better, I agree with that

I am myself wondering why Landry regressed in this game from his last two games last year, I just dont think it is time to flip out yet...that is next week :D

Thanks for the new sig.

Collier11
9/5/2010, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the new sig.

You got it, lol

adoniijahsooner
9/5/2010, 12:11 PM
Post game interview.....Stoops said he was gonna talk with Josh and gets things worked out.

this was in response to a question from a reporter about why landry was so uncomfortable.

http://soonersports.com/allaccess/?media=186644

adoniijahsooner
9/5/2010, 12:14 PM
Let me be clear before we continue, I still think this team will be big 12 champs.

Collier11
9/5/2010, 12:17 PM
From Lou Holtz

"It's very hard to judge any team after just one week. There are more upsets in Week 1 then there are in any other week. All you have to do is just find a way to win the game. I know Florida and Oklahoma struggled, but they still found a way to win the game. The Gators and Sooners teams that we saw Saturday won't be the same that we see later in the season."

adoniijahsooner
9/5/2010, 12:20 PM
From Lou Holtz

"It's very hard to judge any team after just one week. There are more upsets in Week 1 then there are in any other week. All you have to do is just find a way to win the game. I know Florida and Oklahoma struggled, but they still found a way to win the game. The Gators and Sooners teams that we saw Saturday won't be the same that we see later in the season."

I think this team will improve.

hawaii 5-0
9/5/2010, 12:29 PM
I'd like to chalk it up to first game of the season jitters. I think Landry will continue to improve as the season progresses. Tough that he better improve a lot before next week 'cause Florida State is gonna come after him. He better have some good check down stuff ready.

Where was the Secret Weapon tight end?

I know it's a little off topic but I'm more concerned about the habit of building a lead and the Defense letting the other team back into the ballgame.

5-0

ouwasp
9/5/2010, 12:33 PM
LJ sure didn't look like a QB with a year under his belt. Had this been his first game replacing Sam, sure. Very puzzling.

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 12:36 PM
I'm betting Utah State didn't look like the Team Landry saw on tape last either.

Start looking at all the pieces to the puzzle and build from there.

http://www.mainepuzzles.com/Images/Football-Jigsaw-Puzzles/6155_Football_History_Jigsaw_Puzzle_lg.jpg

Leroy Lizard
9/5/2010, 12:49 PM

I'm sure that Josh talks to Landry all the time. I seriously doubt that Josh doesn't see the same concerns that we do.

Coaches must cringe when players talk to the media. Once a player says anything remotely honest ("We still aren't there yet; we have some concerns") the fans jump all over it ("Landry has no confidence; even he admits he sucks").

ashley
9/5/2010, 01:02 PM
I am a little worried about our receivers lack of seperation.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/5/2010, 01:14 PM
I am a little worried about our receivers lack of seperation.

Separation anxiety. I see.

rabot10
9/5/2010, 01:19 PM
this was in response to a question from a reporter about why landry was so uncomfortable.

http://soonersports.com/allaccess/?media=186644

The boy has a tramp stamp on his lower back!!!!!!! OMG white trash what a stupid POS – never going to be anything but STUPID - jmho

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 01:38 PM
Bob actually talked about an injury in the post game presser. I was takin' aback.

East Coast Bias
9/5/2010, 01:38 PM
Landry is the part of all this that is unsettling. He looked so sharp and confident at the end of last year. Then all the praise from Stoops and he comes out and lays an egg. There is no reason why he should go backwards in development. He is the heart and soul of the team and can't execute at this level. Josh needs to map out the check downs ad nauseum and keep Landry within his abilities. Sure a QB can have a bad day but this points to larger issues and begs the question if he can be the man we need the next two years. Right now I am thinking NOT and if I was a coach trying to ensure my own survival I would begin work on plan B.

mightysooner
9/5/2010, 01:52 PM

^^^ This. He seems like he lacks confidence at all times. He plays spastic and scared. He's never seemed like he's in control of the offense nor does he seem to want to be as far as I can see.

Soonermagik
9/5/2010, 01:54 PM
Landry has been really inconsistent dating all the way back to last season. One game he has 5 turnovers, the next game he sets or ties a school record with 5 touchdowns.

Who is the real Landry Jones? I think we will know the answer after Texas.

adoniijahsooner
9/5/2010, 03:00 PM
The boy has a tramp stamp on his lower back!!!!!!! OMG white trash what a stupid POS – never going to be anything but STUPID - jmho

You must be someone's troll trying to get me all flustered or something. How about you work on your instigating techniques and then try again. If your good enough, I may actually unload a verbal assault that may get your mommas penis hard.

adoniijahsooner
9/5/2010, 03:57 PM
rabot10 I'm not done with you yet! You hear me? I am still hear waiting for you! I am spoiling for a fight this afternoon, and you will be my outlet. You and only you deserve this beat down. Come out of your hole, you coward! LOL!!!! Just kidding with you. You are free to be a disrespectful poster, but I doubt you will last very long around here.

soonerborn30
9/5/2010, 04:45 PM

There was an instance where this was brought to light for me: Landry took a sack, and his helmet got knocked off. The look on his face was pure frustration and anger. I think when things started going wrong, he got flustered, and the wheels fell off the thing. Let's hope Josh can instill some cool, calm, and collectedness. Is that a word? It is now.

SoonerGM
9/5/2010, 05:04 PM
There was an instance where this was brought to light for me: Landry took a sack, and his helmet got knocked off. The look on his face was pure frustration and anger. I think when things started going wrong, he got flustered, and the wheels fell off the thing. Let's hope Josh can instill some cool, calm, and collectedness. Is that a word? It is now.

how many people are calm after getting planted in to the dirt? calmness is one thing, but i don't want an emotionless robot out there either. if he gets angry, who cares, as long as he knows how to focus his anger.

another thing, everyone keeps pointing out landry's interceptions last year... have all you guys forgotten that SEVERAL of his interceptions were the result of receivers with rubber hands that thought they were playing volleyball instead of WR on a football team??

maybe landry is just lacking confidence in the oline and the ability of the receivers to actually catch the ball. and really who could blame him after last season? i noticed he seems to do quite well when throwing it to broyels, the only consistent person on offense from last year.

so if this is the case, does it make it ok? well of course not, he needs to get over it. i am just saying give the guy a chance. he got a raw deal last season and has only played one game this season.

goingoneight
9/5/2010, 05:16 PM
This defense reminds me of the 2006 defense. All the hype in the world and they really stunk it up the first few games. The defense has too many bodies to be this bad all year long... they will improve, but will it be too late?

Landry had the look of a sophomore slump. :(

85sooners
9/5/2010, 05:22 PM
From what I understand, Landry made the line look worse than they actually were, by holding on to the ball last night. How do you know if Drew is showing better or not when he hasn't even played? Maybe Drew is gamer, and will thrive when adversity hits, who knows? yes landry held the ball way too long most the night

rawlingsHOH
9/5/2010, 07:32 PM
If Landry goes out against FSU, and performs the way he did last night, how long before Stoops pulls him for Drew Allen? Last night in the presser Stoops demeanor and words regarding the whole team were a little stressed, but he seemed a bit more bothered by Landry's play; even saying he would have to speak to Josh about why Landry was so uncomfortable. He said some of the protection break downs were due to Landry holding on to the ball too long. I didnt see the game, so I cant judge this for myself.

Hopefully this doesnt turn into a "Landry sucks" or a "Landry Pumper" thread; just looking for some honest feedback.

I'd say about 90% of it was on Landry.

rawlingsHOH
9/5/2010, 07:35 PM
This defense reminds me of the 2006 defense. All the hype in the world and they really stunk it up the first few games. The defense has too many bodies to be this bad all year long... they will improve, but will it be too late?

The game reminded my of the 2006 UAB opener.

Collier11
9/5/2010, 07:43 PM
Kinda early to make assumptions about our Def as a whole, or our off

sooneron
9/5/2010, 08:11 PM
From Lou Holtzthhhph

"It'sthphh very hard to judge any team after justhhpft one week. Tpthefhere are more upsthffetthhpfss in Week 1 then there are in any other week. All you have to do isthhp jushfffptht find a way to win the game. I know Florida and Oklahoma shffptruggled, but they sthffptill found a way to win the game. The Gatorthhp and Sthhfpoonerthhfp teamsthhpft that we thaw Thffpaturday won't be the thffpame that we thfpftee later in the sthhffpeason."

Sounds about right, Lou.:D

Soonermagik
9/5/2010, 08:17 PM

Very similar indeed.

swardboy
9/5/2010, 08:18 PM
Deer.In.Headlights My take on Landry as I watched the game.

Couldn't tell about receivers getting separation, but I thought they were catching the ball pretty well overall, when it got to them.

I'm sure Madu will be a difference-maker...relief for DM, and receiving out of backfield.

Absence of stud linebacking corp surprised me a lot.

Millard seems to be "all that"...even carried the ball !!!

BigTip
9/5/2010, 08:43 PM
From Lou Holtz

What? What did he say? Can you understand what he's saying?

I swear, they should start putting subtitles under Holtz when he talks.

Dio
9/5/2010, 10:44 PM
What? What did he say? Can you understand what he's saying?

I swear, they should start putting a bucket under Holtz when he talks.

Fixed

OUmillenium
9/5/2010, 10:59 PM
Unfortunate observations we made while watching the game last night...
1. Landry still locks on to option #1 and does not check down.
2. Sometimes he throws the ball when a defender(s) is in excellent position and there should not even be a pass attempt to that receiver.
3. If he actually notices that option 1 is covered, he freaks out...can't even through the ball away properly. Remember the int v. UT last year when he was simply throwing the ball oob? Almost happened again last night.

I saw zero improvement from last year but its the first game and Heupel is the man. I expect major improvement between weeks 1 and 2. + it was Kevin wilson vanilla at its whitest last night. Should open things up more the next few weeks.

stoopified
9/5/2010, 11:29 PM
Moot point

Piware
9/5/2010, 11:51 PM
When Bob's not worried, I'm not worried. Bob is worried and now I am too.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/6/2010, 12:01 AM

my thoughts exactly

Redshirt
9/6/2010, 08:13 AM
It was the shoes.

the_ouskull
9/6/2010, 08:19 AM
Landry had a bad night....I remember a few months back when he won the Sun Bowl against a pretty good Stanford Team.

Does HE?

...and collectedness. Is that a word? It is now.

We'll allow it. Nice work.

the_ouskull

the_ouskull
9/6/2010, 08:21 AM
Repost, please delete.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/6/2010, 10:51 AM

Like McCoy had? McCoy had a world class line his frosh year. His soph they had a ll graduated.

Landry will do fine, but his line sucked last year. They need to suck a lot less this year. Get Landry some comfort and remind him to get rid of the ball quickly.

If we need to pull anyone it's probably one of our DBs.

badger
9/6/2010, 02:20 PM
Since none of you suggested it, here goes:

I hope Whitney Hand didn't break up with him before the game. :eek:

soonerhubs
9/6/2010, 05:40 PM

This.