PDA

View Full Version : Vanilla playbook was out!

SeattleOUstudent
9/5/2010, 11:01 AM
We def kept our cards close in this game. We went up 21-0, and decided not to show anything. No bubble screens. Nothing. Just swing passes, draws, and the occasional out rout. Not that I really think its a bad idea, but wow, it damn near got us beat last night.

Good game, USU. You guys were balls-to-the-wall in your play calling.

That being said, I think we have a lot to uncover this week vs FSU. I wouldnt expect a vanilla playbook at all. I still think we beat FSU at home this weekend. The fans will be relentless, and we see how the guys feed off that. This close W could have been one of the best things that have happened to us. If we had blown them out by 40, the coaches would probably hold off on unveiling their playbooks quite as much.

Sooner Eclipse
9/5/2010, 11:05 AM
I think you mean the vanilla playbook excuse is out. We hear that every year.

The issues last night had more to do with the execution of that "vanilla" playbook. Quite frankly, they didn't look too good. However, the first game is just that. A benchmark upon which we should improve.

On a side note, the Oline didn't look awful. Which is a massive improvement from last year.

Collier11
9/5/2010, 11:10 AM
Here were the main issues that I saw, the good thing is that these can be fixed...you hope

1) Landry held onto the ball far too much, not sure why he regressed in that department

2) Our secondary not making plays on the ball alot of times. For the most part outside of 1 or 2 plays they were in the right position and couldnt find the ball

3) I think our DL will get better, with Frank coming back along with Adrian getting better and better, I have to believe that it will get better

adoniijahsooner
9/5/2010, 11:13 AM
I think you mean the vanilla playbook excuse is out. We hear that every year.

The issues last night had more to do with the execution of that "vanilla" playbook. Quite frankly, they didn't look too good. However, the first game is just that. A benchmark upon which we should improve.

On a side note, the line didn't look awful. Which is a massive improvement from last year.

Which is why the NFL has preseason. Hell, Sam Bradford looked like boo-boo his two games, and lit it up the last two.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/5/2010, 11:14 AM
It's always vanilla play calling at the beginning of the year, but when we hit the second and third games it changes to vanilla play calling.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/5/2010, 11:18 AM
It's always vanilla play calling at the beginning of the year, but when we hit the second and third games it changes to vanilla play calling.JWTN for OC!!!

ouwasp
9/5/2010, 12:36 PM
I don't know... seems like the plays had more of a "Rocky Road" flavor... ;)

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 12:52 PM
In 2000....

I wasn't convinced we were very good until after we played Texas in the Cotton Bowl and beat their *** 63-14. The Nebraska game solidified that indeed there were a bunch of Team players out there ready to go the distance.

That crystal ball wasn't won in the first few games that year....it was won with wins in College Station, Stoolwater and Kansas City. The win we had against Kansas in Norman in 2000 had me feeling much like last nights performance. If you'd told me we would win the National Championship after the KU game that year...I would have laughed in your face. If you'd told me we would win the National Championship after we beat TAMU in College Station that year....I would have scrambled to get tickets for every game until we got to Miami...which is exactly what I did.

hawaii 5-0
9/5/2010, 01:14 PM
How was the offensive line? Were there the usual offsides, procedure penalties and holding calls? Was there the usual predictable Phil Loadholt jumping offsides?

I would like to see them take it as a personal affront if a defensive player lays a hand on our QB. I want to see that attutide of 'we're coming right at you and you can't do a thing about it'.

5-0

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 01:16 PM
There was one late in the game that I couldn't believe but other than that...I don't recall any others. Tyler Evans I think....

Mississippi Sooner
9/5/2010, 01:19 PM
Yeah, the offensive line was greatly improved over last year as far as not continually drawing a bunch of stupid penalties. And really, a lot of the time when Landry was in trouble last night it was partly his own doing. For some reason, he seemed to have forgotten that it's ok to throw the ball away instead of taking a sack.

SoonerDomiNation
9/5/2010, 01:20 PM
Do we not have a TE on the roster we can throw to? Cause i didnt see us throw one ball to em although, I did go to the concession stand in the 1st quarter.

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 01:21 PM
Our last scoring drive Evans had one and Don Stephenson had one in the 2nd qtr of our final drive before half.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2010-2011/01_usu.html#GAME.PLY

sooner518
9/5/2010, 01:34 PM
i dont remember seeing one holding penalty called on either O-line all game. seems rather strange

soonerboy_odanorth
9/5/2010, 01:43 PM
Do we not have a TE on the roster we can throw to? Cause i didnt see us throw one ball to em although, I did go to the concession stand in the 1st quarter.

*ding*ding*ding*

No. Not one we have confidence in, anyway. Heywood may turn out to be that guy, but he as to learn to block first, apparently.

Sooner Schemer
9/5/2010, 01:47 PM
Do we not have a TE on the roster we can throw to? Cause i didnt see us throw one ball to em although, I did go to the concession stand in the 1st quarter.We threw once to Ratterree and drew a pass interference call on Utah State.

rawlingsHOH
9/5/2010, 01:53 PM
We def kept our cards close in this game. We went up 21-0, and decided not to show anything. No bubble screens. Nothing. Just swing passes, draws, and the occasional out rout. Not that I really think its a bad idea, but wow, it damn near got us beat last night.

Good game, USU. You guys were balls-to-the-wall in your play calling.

That being said, I think we have a lot to uncover this week vs FSU. I wouldnt expect a vanilla playbook at all. I still think we beat FSU at home this weekend. The fans will be relentless, and we see how the guys feed off that. This close W could have been one of the best things that have happened to us. If we had blown them out by 40, the coaches would probably hold off on unveiling their playbooks quite as much.

False.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/5/2010, 02:11 PM
False.

The entire proposition of this thread is false... play-action, rolling pockets, misdirection... all were in play last night.

This team just wasn't very good last night, and I doubt it gets corrected in one week.

At the same time, we ain't Samford. So we'll see.

yankee
9/5/2010, 02:14 PM
*ding*ding*ding*

No. Not one we have confidence in, anyway. Heywood may turn out to be that guy, but he as to learn to block first, apparently.

i don't understand how james hanna hasn't stepped up. i saw this guy play in high school, and he's an absolute beast at catching the ball. almost single handedly beat my high school team. now, i know that high school football isn't college football, but i thought he was going to transition rather easily given the athlete he is.

badger
9/5/2010, 02:14 PM
We def kept our cards close in this game.

OU: Queen high.
Utah State: Ummm.... pair of twos?
OU: Dammit! I thought my lousy queen was enough to beat you with! Here, I also hid some threes up my sleeve. I win.
Utah State: Bawwwww

TheHumanAlphabet
9/5/2010, 02:37 PM
It's always vanilla play calling at the beginning of the year, but when we hit the second and third games it changes to vanilla play calling.
Third and long Wilson doesn't have a play book. It is run the ball up the middle or swing pass out to the running back swinging around. It would be nice to see this team play with vigor and have some imagination on play calling. This is more about Stoops than Wilson, but I don't like either this way...

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 02:56 PM
I've never understood why Bob has continually tortured us as fans every year with the conservative play calling up until the uterus game....but he's done it every year since the Leach Ninja Offense.

It's been difficult to hang in there every year....but once your standing in the Cotton Bowl every year....you always know something is getting ready to happen. For five years in a row there...it was almost looking like it might continue to happen forever. I still have dreams of the day uterus just calls Bob and says they want to just call the game a loss and stay in Austin playing with Bevo that weekend.

josh09
9/5/2010, 03:00 PM
I was not impressed with Kevin Wilson at all yesterday. I know it's probably just because it was the first game, and he was trying different things out. But when you don't pass on first down for about 90% of the game, and it's not exactly working out for you, you should know that something should change. Hopefully he'll realize that next week.

Intown
9/5/2010, 03:03 PM
I'm thinking it was optimized effort - the vanilla defense was equally impressive. The coaches just wanted to see how the players would do when they are out game planned and unprepared.

Thank god our players are talented ore else it would be an 0-1 start.

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 03:42 PM
False.

Give him a break...he was watching from a bar that went out of business....lol

oupride
9/5/2010, 04:20 PM
We def kept our cards close in this game. We went up 21-0, and decided not to show anything.

I really hope you are right about this. This theory did not occur to me until this morning when I mentioned to my wife that if OUr team had put up 50 pts then it would have affected the time the other team was allowed to have the ball.

I did not get to see the game, so I do not know if the defense shares some of the blame. I know we were up 21-0, but did the 2nd string come in at all? Just curious.

josh09
9/5/2010, 04:22 PM
I really hope you are right about this. This theory did not occur to me until this morning when I mentioned to my wife that if OUr team had put up 50 pts then it would have affected the time the other team was allowed to have the ball.

I did not get to see the game, so I do not know if the defense shares some of the blame. I know we were up 21-0, but did the 2nd string come in at all? Just curious.

Our secondary looks like they kind of fell asleep after the initial 21-0 lead. Stoops and Venables will hopefully teach them some better discipline.

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 04:34 PM
If we would have put up 50+ points I would have been able to leave Norman before Midnight.

stoopified
9/5/2010, 06:50 PM
Just glad we got the W.

rawlingsHOH
9/5/2010, 07:09 PM
Our secondary looks like they kind of fell asleep after the initial 21-0 lead. Stoops and Venables will hopefully teach them some better discipline.

They struggled early too. Part of it was lack of pass rush (or inability to contain QB), part of it was a lot of man responsibility, part of it was being green.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/5/2010, 08:07 PM
I'm thinking it was optimized effort - the vanilla defense was equally impressive. The coaches just wanted to see how the players would do when they are out game planned and unprepared.

Thank god our players are talented ore else it would be an 0-1 start.Yeah, that's prolly what happened, or maybe our coaches are so awesome that they were showing us how underpaid they are, and just scaring us into raises.?

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 08:15 PM

I never saw Bob put the entire 2nd string in...there were plenty of guys that saw action though.

Offensive Starters
OL 59 Stephenson,Don
OL 77 Good,Stephen
OL 61 Habern,Ben
OL 75 Evans,Tyler
OL 69 Mensik,Eric
TE 47 Ratterree,T.
WR 6 Kenney,Cameron
WR 4 Stills,Kenny
WR 85 Broyles,Ryan
QB 12 Jones,Landry
RB 7 Murray,Demarco

Defensive Starters
DB 1 Jefferson,Tony
DB 3 Nelson,Jonatha
DB 19 Hurst,Demontre
DB 20 Carter,Quinton
LB 21 Wort,Tom
LB 28 Lewis,Travis
DB 32 Fleming,Jamell
DE 44 Beal,Jeremy
DT 53 Walker,Casey
DT 90 King,David
DE 97 Mcfarland,Jama

Guys who participated...
2A-Clay,Brennan, 2-Wilson,Julian, 5-Ibiloye,Joseph, 5B-Nimmo,John, 7A-Nelson,Corey, 8-Caleb,Brandon, 9-Franks,Trey, 13-Trice,Marcus, 14-Colvin,Aaron, 23-Calhoun,Jermie, 24-Miller,Dejuan, 27-Proctor,Sam, 30-Harris,Javon, 31-Franklin,Dan, 33-Millard,Trey, 36-Way,Tress, 38-Bradley,Derric, 43-O'Hara,Patrick, 48-Crow,Brandon, 50-Woods,Austin, 51-Lepak,Brian, 55-Bird,Jaydan, 56-Lewis,Ronnell, 64-Ikard,Gabe, 76-Jones,Jarvis, 82-Hanna,James, 86-Taylor,Adrian, 91-Washington,R.J., 92-Mcgee,Stacy.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2010-2011/01_usu.html#GAME.PRE

swardboy
9/5/2010, 08:33 PM
It seems like almost every first game opponent is in mid-season form. And we're always...in spring practice.

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 08:38 PM
Thing is....if we were facing a monster every year for our first game against a team full of top recruits...we'd probably have guys that were on pins and needles every snap of the 1st half. OUr guys didn't seem to get worried until the 3rd quarter. In the 4th...lots of them stepped up but by then Utah State wasn't afraid of them....they were waiting for us to make a mistake IMO.

SoonerLB
9/5/2010, 09:31 PM

/\ THIS = CLASSIC /\ :D

SeattleOUstudent
9/5/2010, 09:47 PM
Give him a break...he was watching from a bar that went out of business....lol

dont get it.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/6/2010, 12:20 AM
Im ready for the chocolate playbook

Tear Down This Wall
9/6/2010, 12:56 AM
Hello, McFly? Our "vanilla playbook" hung a 54-3 win over Utah State in 2007. It's a lame excuse. Our athletes were 51 points better than Utah State three years ago running "vanilla" - this year, seven points.

Problems that will nag us all year:
-8 new starters on defense (if Adrian ever gets healthy, then 7)
-We have exactly two proven threats on offense - Broyles and Murray.

Believe me, Florida State - with Mark Stoops at defensive coordinator - is not going to be bamboozled by bubble screens being thrown into the mix. Nor will any other school remaining on our schedule.

When Broyles was doubled, the rest of our recievers couldn't shake Utah State's secondary. We will face much better athletes starting next week.

Add in the drops and incomplete/missed routes...we've got a ton of work to do in less than a week. If this team doesn't answer the bell on both sides of the ball this Saturday at 2:30, we're looking at another four or five loss season...and New Year's Eve in El Paso.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/6/2010, 12:58 AM
werd

TheHumanAlphabet
9/6/2010, 01:01 AM
Well, TT did have some trouble against SMU today. Hope this bodes well and some running and hitting and weightlifting will make the team better next Saturday...

;)

Okie35
9/6/2010, 06:06 AM
after 21-0 ... its like the players just relaxed. FSU was up 21-0 against Samford around the same time (like late 2nd) and then they kept their foot on the gas. I think we'll be fine as long as we don't play soft after 2 quarters.

GKeeper316
9/6/2010, 06:16 AM
have we even used a shovel pass since Mangino went to Kansas? there were a ton of great plays that seem to have been removed from the playbook when third and Long took over...

oumartin
9/6/2010, 07:13 AM
If that same team takes the field Saturday then FSU will win by 10 or more. The vanilla playbook thing just isn't true IMO.

Hopefully I am wrong about the outcome but man they didn't look good Saturday

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
9/6/2010, 08:35 AM
Im ready for the chocolate playbook

Nah, I'm more of a Neopolitan guy.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/6/2010, 01:26 PM
I could handle that playbook

soonerhubs
9/6/2010, 04:54 PM
have we even used a shovel pass since Mangino went to Kansas? there were a ton of great plays that seem to have been removed from the playbook when third and Long took over...

I believe Jones used one in the Sun Bowl.

KRYPTON
9/7/2010, 10:14 AM
The playcalling was horribly vanilla, indicating either arrogance or a real lack of faith in anyone other than Murray or Broyles. I hope it's arrogance because perhaps we got brought down to earth a little.

Of course, the 63 yard touchdown was about the most boring play in history, off left tackle, blocked PERFECTLY. No need to be cute if you execute, but if you can't execute consistently on the basics, you better have a few more bullets (gimmicks?) in the gun.

rawlingsHOH
9/7/2010, 10:35 AM

Used it quite a bit in 2005. Bomar to Kejuan/Gutierrez.

KantoSooner
9/7/2010, 10:47 AM
Okay, I admit to not being the most dedicated X's and O's guy, but the game I watched on Saturday led me to the following observations:

1. Our Oline did not show me much in the way of run blocking....and not too much in the way of pass protection, either. WTF? I thought we were supposed to be much improved in run blocking at least.

2. Our db's did not seem able to cover very well. No way to dress this up: our guys were getting beaten, it seemed like, about 50% of the time.

3. seven penalties (? I think). And the general demeanor of the team: Lackadaisical. Bob Stoops used to be renowned for preparing his teams. He's had 9 months to get ready for this game and OU 'out-athletes' USU pretty much man-by-man across the entire roster. Why do we tend to look like a pick up squad so much of the time?

Quite clearly, some of our players were not using their heads (or, in the case of some, were using their heads inappropriately. Tom Wort, I'm looking at you.) but OU has had this prep issue for the past several years at least.

T. Lewis had it about right when he summed up the game, "We played like ****". I'm more mystified by 'why?'

rawlingsHOH
9/7/2010, 11:16 AM
1. Our Oline did not show me much in the way of run blocking....and not too much in the way of pass protection, either. WTF? I thought we were supposed to be much improved in run blocking at least.
I think our line played okay. Not consistent enough in the run game, they popped a few, but were stuffed to often. The sacks were Landry's fault, but he also got drilled on other occasions from breakdowns.

2. Our db's did not seem able to cover very well. No way to dress this up: our guys were getting beaten, it seemed like, about 50% of the time.
We almost never leave our corners on an island like we did on Saturday. They were bad, but out of the element at the same time. Stoops was obviously concerned with the QB run game.

And the general demeanor of the team: Lackadaisical.
I didn't see that, or anything that resembled loafing. I did see poor play, but I don't think lack of effort was the reason for it.

KantoSooner
9/7/2010, 11:30 AM
I can buy your final comment and withdraw it. I still am befuddled with our lack of preparation in opening games. Or is it something else?

KantoSooner
9/7/2010, 11:30 AM
withdraw my comment about 'lackadaisical' that is. I'm suffering Monday Morning Syndrome.

w0lfe
9/7/2010, 11:41 AM
Lets see how Willie Martinez does with these D-backs. I wasnt impressed with his hire, so hopefully he proves me wrong and we see these guys get better every week.

Okie35
9/7/2010, 12:01 PM
Okay, I admit to not being the most dedicated X's and O's guy, but the game I watched on Saturday led me to the following observations:

3. seven penalties (? I think). And the general demeanor of the team: Lackadaisical. Bob Stoops used to be renowned for preparing his teams. He's had 9 months to get ready for this game and OU 'out-athletes' USU pretty much man-by-man across the entire roster. Why do we tend to look like a pick up squad so much of the time?

Quite clearly, some of our players were not using their heads (or, in the case of some, were using their heads inappropriately. Tom Wort, I'm looking at you.) but OU has had this prep issue for the past several years at least.

T. Lewis had it about right when he summed up the game, "We played like ****". I'm more mystified by 'why?'

1. Landry is to blame w/ the sacks too. He looks like he doesn't know how to get rid the ball at times.

2. The DBs looked better towards the end of the game, let's not forget about the 3 ints. Borel's ability to scramble caused the coverage to break down. This week will be different, I'm sure. One thing I know, actually we all should know, after a poor game we really bounce back and play extremely well.

3. Undisciplined. There was really no excuse for all that.