PDA

View Full Version : Alright, lets start talking FSU

MR2-Sooner86
9/5/2010, 09:24 AM
The games against Florida State is less than a week away, what can we expect?

Yesterday they rolled Samford which was expected. Their quarterback Christian Ponder is good and went 12 for 14 for 167 yards making 4 touchdowns and had 1 interception. Watching yesterday he doesn't come across as a quarterback who uses his feet a whole lot but there were a couple of times he got flushed out of the pocket and was able to roll out and still make a play down field.

As for their defense, they didn't show much. Although Samford had low yards rushing there were times they were hammering FSU right up the middle and knocking out close to 10 yards a carry.

Now, I love going to other team's boards just for outside looking in view to get a different perspective. Looking over at their boards here is what they have to say...

Landry Jones can be inaccurate and if we make them throw more it could cause turnovers. More importantly more passes means less carries for Murray, who scares the crap out of me.

To me, the thing that stands out is OU Passing: 17-37
No decent college QB goes under 50% completion percentage against an inferior oppenent. Just a few of this weekend's QBs:

Gilbert (Texas - 1st start): 14-23
Brantley (Fla - 1st start): 17-25
Bolden (Penn St - True Freshman): 20-29

Jones (Oklahoma) 17-36

Ok first, even prior to seeing OU play I thought Ponder would torch OU's D. Why? Because every good D Ponder has faced he's torched. Remember North Carolina's D last year was ranked #1 when we faced them? Ponder put up 3 TD's and 300+ yards with 0 INTS. I was already expecting Ponder to have a big day against OU.

Now, after seeing OU's performance against USU, it just reinforces the fact that Ponder will torch their D. That said, does that mean FSU wins? Probably not because our D is vulnerable too. But I like our chances more and more the closer we get to the game.

Murray ran wild and USU still almost pulled it out - we can win this game.

their RB should keep them in the game. their qb looks like a liability after game 1 (admittedly early). their secondary looks vulnerable.

I'm always hopeful, but OU hasn't lost at home in a long time, and they have a great running game.

I've been watching a little of OU tonight and I'll say this. Our secondary better be ready! OU likes to get in the shotgun and air it out! The game will depend on our corners and safeties not getting burnt!

Murray will probably rape us on the ground but then again he ran for 200 yards against USU and Oklahoma still barely won the game. If we don't get overconfident and the secondary plays well, I'll say we come away with a 31-24 win.

Most FSU fans are expecting it to be close but come up short and some are predicting a win.

Anybody watch their game yesterday? Feeling confident in some areas? Scared in others? What strengths does FSU have on us? What do we have on them?

Discuss.

:pop:

delhalew
9/5/2010, 09:33 AM
I didn't see them play...or us for that matter. From the radio feed, I would have a hard time arguing with anything they said.

I think Murrey shines and Landry calms down. I just prey our Defense gets some discipline. I expect this to be a tougher fight than had you asked me yesterday.

IronHorseSooner
9/5/2010, 09:43 AM
FSU fans tend to be the more rational ones in the state. I have watched Ponder, and while he is good, he's an easier type of QB to game plan. He's your standard pro-style QB. The key will be the pass rush against their good OL. Beal and Alexander need to have good games. I would expect a lot more safety help over the top against FSU from OUr safeties. Their running game is good, but not great, so they will depend a lot on Ponder to get them the win.

On D, it will be had to gauge because they will have a new system under Mark Stoops. They were REALLY bad last year in all categories, as the good RBs torched them continuously. I would expect for them to blitz a lot to put pressure on Landry and the OL, but that will leave them vulnerable to the screens and dump offs to DM, and hot reads to Broyles. I expect this to be a high-scoring game.

Neither team will punt to the others' return man. Broyles and Jones are too good. We have the advantage at punter, but they have it a PK, but this will be the case most of the year.

All in all, expect a good game. Remember, teams make the biggest improvements from week one to week two. Does anyone remember Iowa last year? They had two blocked FGs on the last two plays to beat Northern Iowa, and then came back and beat 'Zona and PSU? Just sayin'. I will leave my prediction to STEP's thread.

MR2-Sooner86
9/5/2010, 11:49 AM
I expect this to be a high-scoring game.

Yeah, of course they said that about the '01 Orange Bowl and we know how that turned out ;)

meoveryouxinfinity
9/5/2010, 11:51 AM
I have no idea what to expect from this game.

yermom
9/5/2010, 11:59 AM
is this the first Stoops v. Stoops matchup?

Mississippi Sooner
9/5/2010, 12:13 PM
I tried to watch the Florida State game yesterday, but could only stay interested for a little while. I will say that Ponder's one INT came off of a tipped pass and just happened to fall into the defender's hands. I did see him make several throws, though, that made me think "boy, he throws that against us and it's going the other way." Of course, I was thinking that before I saw how our secondary performed last night.

Collier11
9/5/2010, 12:21 PM
Ponder is good, our secondary and Dline will have to be on point

PLaw
9/5/2010, 12:30 PM
I think we are doomed - my son and I have tickets. It's been a long time since we were at an OU victory. Here is our recent performance:

Fiesta Bowl - Loss to BSU
Fiesta Bowl - Loss to WVU
BYU 2009 - Loss
TTU 2008 - Win
TTU at Lubbock 2007 - Loss

Not a good record.

BOOMER

Crucifax Autumn
9/5/2010, 12:33 PM
Stay home!

hawaii 5-0
9/5/2010, 12:37 PM
If Work hadn't pulled his personal foul penalties and the Sooners hadn't taken a knee at the end the score would have been much more respectable.

Back on topic, FSU is more known for their offense than their defense. If we play better coverage on the corners and keep rotating fresh defensive ends putting pressure on Ponder then we should be alright.

5-0

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 12:40 PM
This game matches up like the Miami Game from last year for me...except that it's being playing in God's Country instead of the gateway from hell. :D

Dan Thompson
9/5/2010, 12:50 PM
Samford was not very fast on D. Their D-back #13 kept getting burned time and time again.

I thought some really good High School teams could have beaten Samford.

MR2-Sooner86
9/5/2010, 01:12 PM
Back on topic, FSU is more known for their offense than their defense. If we play better coverage on the corners and keep rotating fresh defensive ends putting pressure on Ponder then we should be alright.

How about on defense though? What do we know about Mark Stoops? Could he have Bob's number?

badger
9/5/2010, 01:28 PM
yes, let's talk florida state... let's trash talk florida state... let's trash talk florida state excessively before beating them :D

-WLLHunussE

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 01:31 PM
Good Times.

MR2-Sooner86
9/5/2010, 01:43 PM
Don't forget this...

a0CHjahWtxU&feature

HBick
9/5/2010, 01:47 PM
I think our pass rush will improve next week with Alexander back in the line-up. Adrian Taylor looked like he was getting some solid penetration, but McGee and JaMarcus need to shine in order for us to get the needed pressure

badger
9/5/2010, 01:47 PM
the closest bowden got to this trophy:
http://i54.tinypic.com/lxvtj.jpg

fsu settled for this trophy instead:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/2000/heisman/news/2000/12/09/heisman_main_ap/t1_winner_ap-01.jpg
josh settled for this one:
http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2000/12/14/image257369g.jpg
But ended up getting the other via one of his students too:
http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2008/12/14/amd_bradford-heisman.jpg

:D

SOFSooner
9/5/2010, 01:51 PM
I did not get to see the game and due to the really poor wireless connection here in Djibouti (and the game being at 2:30am) I did not get to listen to it either. However you have to think that Mark Stoops being the younger brother of Bob and Mike learned the same lessons on how to play and coach defense from the same teacher, their dad. So it goes to reason that Bob should have a idea on what he is going to do on defense, plus he has all the game films from Mike in Arizona where Mark was also the defensive coordinator.

badger
9/5/2010, 01:54 PM
If ya can't beat him:
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/sioncampus/10/03/mythbusters/bob-stoops-p1.jpg
Hire his brother!
http://www.tampabay.com/multimedia/archive/00116/c4s_stoops041010_116554c.jpg
Coaching is all about pedigree, right?
http://www.thewizofodds.com/.a/6a00e553e551d1883401053626e776970c-500wi
Um... right???
http://auburnundercover.com/media/images/article/1218141201.jpg

crawfish
9/5/2010, 05:52 PM
I think we are doomed - my son and I have tickets. It's been a long time since we were at an OU victory. Here is our recent performance:

BYU 2009 - Loss
TTU 2008 - Win

Not a good record.

BOOMER

On the other hand, isn't your only win also your only OU home game?

Sam.England
9/5/2010, 05:55 PM
Im downloading the FSU game now to see whats going on!

I expect a different team to the one we saw on saturday, and I think we will get the win, but only by a couple of points and probably late on!

Leroy Lizard
9/5/2010, 06:04 PM
I did not get to see the game and due to the really poor wireless connection here in Djibouti...

Do you happen to know Sheik Djibouti?

Sooner Among The Pack
9/5/2010, 06:10 PM

BYU 2009 - Loss
TTU 2008 - Win

Not a good record.

BOOMER

That's ok, I'll counteract you. Never seen OU lose in person dating back to 2001, home, away, or neutral site. Closest calls were Bama in 2002 and Mizzou (or at least it looked that way) at halfime of the Big XII Title game in 07. We'll be ok, right?

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 06:22 PM
I was at the National Championship against Florida and somehow we were able to play football again the next year.

TMcGee86
9/5/2010, 07:31 PM
While we've crapped the bed in the opener a disturbing number of times, Stoops has never lost the second game of the year.

We'll be ready.

Statalyzer
9/5/2010, 10:31 PM
Oklahoma still has the potential to be a better team than FSU. Florida State played better last week, but that doesn't mean much. Not because it was the first week and anybody can look shaky in week 1 (although there is truth to that also), but more because 1 game is too small of a sample size to draw conclusions from.

OU's secondary is likely still going to be weak and FSU will exploit that. At the same time, I think y'all will see much improved play from the DL and from the WRs. There's a good chance to flush Ponder from the pocket before he can hit the deep ball - even if Ponder makes a few decent runs, it's still a net gain for OU if this happens.

On the other hand, isn't your only win also your only OU home game?

BYU last year was practically a home game for you guys.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/6/2010, 12:23 AM
2nd game powerhouse!

delhalew
9/6/2010, 10:06 AM
Oklahoma should be better than FSU. There is no excuse for not being better.

badger
9/6/2010, 10:53 AM
Stoops presser this morning on the wake up call that was Utah State - Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100906_92_0_NORMAN576169)

Also, found another pic of Stoops and Bowden:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2010/20100906_bowdenstoops00000906.jpg
See? He already had his hand on it, because he knew it was his :D

MR2-Sooner86
9/6/2010, 12:45 PM
Here's a highlight of their game. Ignore the ****ty music but you can get an idea on them.
vW6RQMdxFF8

I think this is the guy we have to worry about though.
RPUJhqojDzk