PDA

View Full Version : Who replaces Fleming?

Soonermagik
9/5/2010, 08:45 AM
Move Jefferson over? Trice, Gabe Lynn maybe Colvin??

Frozen Sooner
9/5/2010, 08:52 AM
In the words of Gary Gibbs discussing a player who was getting repeatedly burned in 1992...

"If I had someone better, don't you think I'd be playing them already?"

Soonermagik
9/5/2010, 08:59 AM
They keep talking up Colvn, so they may have someone better. Some guys shine in practice and freeze on game day. Fleming was constantly getting burned, out of place. He did get a lucky pick. I understand a few mistakes, but it was all night.

I'd be shocked if he plays against FSU.

IronHorseSooner
9/5/2010, 09:03 AM
They keep talking up Colvn, so they may have some one better. Some guys shine in practice and freeze on game day. Fleming was constantly getting burned, out of place. He did get a lucky pick. I understand a few mistakes, but it was all night.

Sounds like Eric Bassey all over again!:rolleyes:

PalmBeachSooner
9/5/2010, 09:03 AM
I was surprised to see Fleming struggling. I really thought Hurst would because of his size. I was expecting a Pee Wee Reese performance out of him, not Fleming.

85sooners
9/5/2010, 09:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhI0OVs_zj0&feature=player_embedded

Soonermagik
9/5/2010, 10:02 AM
Sounds like Eric Bassey all over again!:rolleyes:

I sure as the heck hope not. Bassey was the most frustrating player to ever play at OU. I'm hoping the coaching staff will give some other guys an honest chance at his spot.

Ponder will be more accurate than the Utah State QB. We can't afford so many deep plays. He was either turned the wrong way or was too far off. Against better teams, last night would have been a loss.

I don't want to fall into the trap that the guy on the bench is a better player. I just want to see if someone else can step up.

Breadburner
9/5/2010, 10:04 AM
They keep talking up Colvn, so they may have someone better. Some guys shine in practice and freeze on game day. Fleming was constantly getting burned, out of place. He did get a lucky pick. I understand a few mistakes, but it was all night.

You would have thought that pick came in the NC game to seal the win the way he celebrated....He should have just flipped back to the ref and got off the field.....

meoveryouxinfinity
9/5/2010, 10:19 AM
They picked on Fleming all night.. it was pretty obvious he was getting burned even when the WR couldn't make the play or catch the ball..

adoniijahsooner
9/5/2010, 10:25 AM
In the words of Gary Gibbs discussing a player who was getting repeatedly burned in 1992...

"If I had someone better, don't you think I'd be playing them already?"

Not true. I remember Stoops yanking DJ Wolfe and Keenan Clayton after they kept giving up big plays. There are too many players on that sideline to allow Fleming to stay on the field if he doesnt improve. Plus, it has already been stated that JNel is the best corner we have. I see him moving over real soon.

soonerborn30
9/5/2010, 10:29 AM
You would have thought that pick came in the NC game to seal the win the way he celebrated....He should have just flipped back to the ref and got off the field.....

Yeah, but after the night he'd had I didn't blame him much.

Breadburner
9/5/2010, 11:28 AM
He did lead the team in tackles......

adoniijahsooner
9/5/2010, 11:29 AM
He did lead the team in tackles......

Of course, when every pass is complete in your area, gives plenty opportunity to make a tackle.

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 11:59 AM
Not true. I remember Stoops yanking DJ Wolfe and Keenan Clayton after they kept giving up big plays. There are too many players on that sideline to allow Fleming to stay on the field if he doesnt improve. Plus, it has already been stated that JNel is the best corner we have. I see him moving over real soon.

Then why didn't he pull him last night and put them in?

Soonerman08
9/5/2010, 12:38 PM
Nelson froze up a few times and didn't make a play either. As I recall Demontre even got burned. The two best plays in the secondary are Carter and Jefferson.

NOVSooner
9/5/2010, 01:49 PM

man it may have just been me but with our D last night, every time Wort made a tackle he's make a gesture and when lewis made a play he'd act like he just did something amazing or gamechanging. i understand emotion in football and i understand trying to get the crowd into it but they acted like they were just dominating by making 1 stop! it wasn't a business like, come to work and hit with attitude linebacker corp last night. the kind that had been talked up all camp.....

rawlingsHOH
9/5/2010, 01:58 PM
how bout more zone defense? OU certainly shows significantly more man coverage over the past 3 years than in the past.

rawlingsHOH
9/5/2010, 01:58 PM
veteran corners handled it better.

yankee
9/5/2010, 02:03 PM
:rolleyes:

stoopified
9/5/2010, 02:14 PM
If Bob thinks we need to make a change I'm certain he will makethe right change,whomever that may be.You DO recall Bob personally coaches OUr CBs?

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 02:18 PM
Even though Fleming had a few bad coverage plays....he ended up with 8 solo tackles and 2 assists and also an INT.

Leroy Lizard
9/5/2010, 02:27 PM
If he's tackling, that means his WR is getting to the ball.

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 02:32 PM
If he's tackling, that means his WR is getting to the ball.

It also means he's wrapping them up and close to stepping in and running one down the sidelines soon too....

soonerboy_odanorth
9/5/2010, 02:35 PM
You DO recall Bob personally coaches OUr CBs?

I'm not sure that's true anymore. My impression was that he handed the entire d-backfield off to Martinez this year.... I may have that wrong though.

adoniijahsooner
9/5/2010, 03:03 PM
I'm not sure that's true anymore. My impression was that he handed the entire d-backfield off to Martinez this year.... I may have that wrong though.

Yeah Martinez is in full control of the DB's now.

bluedogok
9/5/2010, 03:11 PM
I think the secondary play and really the whole defense was atrocious last night. Hopefully it was first game jitters.

Okie35
9/5/2010, 03:24 PM
how bout more zone defense? OU certainly shows significantly more man coverage over the past 3 years than in the past.

I agree 100%... and they only got burned because of Borel's ability to scramble around FOREVER (there was pressure he was just elusive as all hell)... next week won't be like that.

yankee
9/5/2010, 03:34 PM
I agree 100%... and they only got burned because of Borel's ability to scramble around FOREVER (there was pressure he was just elusive as all hell)... next week won't be like that.

yup. there won't be broken plays that include jump balls over smaller defenders next week. borel's a good QB with some wheels. ponder's pretty mobile, but he's no borel.

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 03:48 PM
Willie Martinez

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/okla/sports/m-footbl/auto_original/4026887.jpeg

2010 to Present... Oklahoma Secondary Coach

Coaching Accomplishments
• Spent nine years at Georgia where he was part of a staff that led UGA to 90 victories, two SEC championships, three SEC Eastern Division titles, seven bowl victories and six top-10 finishes in the final national polls including No. 2 in 2007 and No. 3 in 2002.

• The 2007 Georgia defense finished first in the SEC and
eighth nationally in sacks (42) and 14 nationally in total
defense.

• His 2006 defense ranked eighth nationally in total
defense, fifth in pass defense and first in the SEC in third
down efficiency.

• Under Martinez, the 2005 Georgia defense was eighth in the country in scoring defense (16.4 ppg).

• On a staff that led the 2003 SEC Eastern Division
champion Georgia defense that finished second nationally
in scoring defense (14.5 ppg), fourth in total defense
(276.86 ypg), sixth in passing defense (174.50 ypg, first
in the SEC), 14th nationally in turnover margin (+.79) and fourth in number of scoreless quarters (25) among the AP's final top-10 teams.

• The 2002 Georgia defense finished first in the SEC and
fourth nationally in scoring defense (15.1 ppg), first in the
SEC in red zone defense (58.8%), second in the SEC in
rushing defense (114.0 ypg) and allowed only 31 second
half points in the final seven games of the season.

• Over the past seven years, 10 of Martinez's Georgia
defensive backs were selected in the NFL Draft, including all three senior starters in 2005.

• Coached a Central Michigan defense in 2000 that led the nation in pass defense (149.7 ypg).

• Tutored Brian Leigeb, who led the MAC in tackles and
was third nationally with 13.36 per game in 2000.

• Was part of a Central Michigan staff that won the 1994
MAC Championship before playing in the Las Vegas Bowl.

• Was a graduate assistant on a Miami staff that coached
in the 1986 Sugar and 1987 Fiesta Bowls.

Prominent Pupils
• Tim Jennings (Georgia), Colts, 2005 All-SEC, 2002 All-SEC Freshman
• Greg Blue (Georgia), 2005 All-American, 2005 All-SEC
• DeMario Minter (Georiga), 2005 All-SEC
• Asher Allen (Georgia), Vikings, 2008 Jim Thorpe semifinalist
• Thomas Davis (Georgia), Panthers, 2004 All-American, 2003 & 2004 All-SEC, Bednarik semifinalist
• Sean Jones (Georgia), Eagles, 2003 All-American, 2003 All-SEC, 2002 All-SEC
• Tre Battle (Georiga), Browns, 2006 All-SEC
• Reshad Jones (Georiga), 2008 All-SEC
• Jermaine Phillips (Georgia), Buccaneers, 2001 All-SEC
• Brian Leigeb (Central Michigan), 2000 All-MAC

Accomplishments as a Player
• Played on the 1983 National Championship team at
Miami.

• Defensive back on the 1984 Orange and 1985 Fiesta
Bowl teams.

Leroy Lizard
9/5/2010, 03:51 PM
It also means he's wrapping them up and close to stepping in and running one down the sidelines soon too....

I'm not so sure about that. A CB can allow a WR to catch the ball all night and still tackle him. I don't think the tackling stats really work in Fleming's favor.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/5/2010, 03:58 PM
I'm not so sure about that. A CB can allow a WR to catch the ball all night and still tackle him. I don't think the tackling stats really work in Fleming's favor.

I agree. A CB wants more "passes broken up" than tackles.

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 04:05 PM
I always thought a CB wants more INTs than broken up passes.

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 04:07 PM
I don't think the tackling stats really work in Fleming's favor.

How many of the tackles he made were because of passes?

Here Leroid....maybe this will help....it'll at least get you started...I know turning wrenches in Nascar is more your thing.

L7TJNus_Tag

SoonerJack
9/5/2010, 04:33 PM
man it may have just been me but with our D last night, every time Wort made a tackle he's make a gesture and when lewis made a play he'd act like he just did something amazing or gamechanging. i understand emotion in football and i understand trying to get the crowd into it but they acted like they were just dominating by making 1 stop! it wasn't a business like, come to work and hit with attitude linebacker corp last night. the kind that had been talked up all camp.....

It was not just you. Several people I was watching the game with said the same thing: "who's the guy celebrating every tackle? It's you're freakin' job."

cccasooner2
9/5/2010, 04:41 PM
According to SoonerSports.com play-by-play tackles by Jamell Fleming

1st QTR Pass to Austin 59 yds, pass to Moats 6 yds
2nd QTR Pass to Morgan 6 yds, pass to Morgan 4 yds, Boral rush 10 yds shrd w Beal, pass to Martin 14 yds
3rd QTR Speight rush 4 yds shrd w McFarland, Smith rush 22 yds, Speight rush no gain
4th QTR Pass to Martin 10 yds, then the INT

So 6 unassisted tackles after passes.

tnraider1
9/5/2010, 05:14 PM
Another factor to consider. How many of those passes were completed after we allowed the QB to run around in the pocket for 7, 8, 9, 10 seconds before he threw the ball. His eyes were always down field, while he treated the OU pass rush like flys that were slightly annoying him. It all starts up front. You can't expect a player to cover someone 1 on 1 for that long of a period. Also those short completions were given up because OUr Dbacks were playing 10 yards off the receivers. You give them a 10 yard cushion, you expect the db's to come up and make tackles, and not allow the receiver to additional YAC, which flemming did. He wasn't the only one getting toasted deep. Where were the safeties that supposedly played so great last night?

goingoneight
9/5/2010, 05:28 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see changes, but I don't think it will happen because of one game. You can always shore up a lot between game one and game two as far as simple mistakes go. All around a bad performance defensively, and some of it can be blamed on the soft-zone gameplan.

GKeeper316
9/5/2010, 05:32 PM
I sure as the heck hope not. Bassey was the most frustrating player to ever play at OU. I'm hoping the coaching staff will give some other guys an honest chance at his spot.

Ponder will be more accurate than the Utah State QB. We can't afford so many deep plays. He was either turned the wrong way or was too far off. Against better teams, last night would have been a loss.

I don't want to fall into the trap that the guy on the bench is a better player. I just want to see if someone else can step up.

ponder cant move like that dude last night. if we get in fsu's backfield as much as we did last night against utah st. we'll sack ponder at least 7 times.

Leroy Lizard
9/5/2010, 05:42 PM
How many of the tackles he made were because of passes?

You're supposed to have all the answers. Remember?

Sooner04
9/5/2010, 05:49 PM
I sure as the heck hope not. Bassey was the most frustrating player to ever play at OU.
I'll take Joe Don Looney for $400.

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 05:54 PM

I thought you had Looney down pat.

StanberryWasIn
9/5/2010, 05:58 PM

Anthony Fogle.

ouwasp
9/5/2010, 06:02 PM

Marcus Dupree

maybe Eric Mitchell

Sooner04
9/5/2010, 06:02 PM
Anyone who thinks Eric Bassey is the most frustrating player in OU history never saw Eric Moore drop back from center.

As my uncle screamed from the upper deck during that cold debacle against eATMe in 1997, "Eric, it's a two deep! You can't throw deep over the middle!"

Chiliman
9/5/2010, 06:12 PM

Thank you.

Soonermagik
9/5/2010, 06:38 PM
Anyone who thinks Eric Bassey is the most frustrating player in OU history never saw Eric Moore drop back from center.

As my uncle screamed from the upper deck during that cold debacle against eATMe in 1997, "Eric, it's a two deep! You can't throw deep over the middle!"

Good point. I should have prefaced in the Stoops era. I was just a teen during the late 90's, but I want to forget those teenage memories.

I can remember going to games and there was hardly anyone in the stadium. No, I'm not joking. My dad had season tickets for next to nothing.

Salt City Sooner
9/5/2010, 06:55 PM
ponder cant move like that dude last night. if we get in fsu's backfield as much as we did last night against utah st. we'll sack ponder at least 7 times.
You're correct in that the USU QB is more mobile, but if you're expecting Weinke Part 2, you're in for a rude awakening. Ponder's got no qualms whatsoever about taking off & running if that's what's open.

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 07:07 PM
You're supposed to have all the answers. Remember?

I know you don't have them...someone else had to answer for you.

BTW...that was either 2 solo tackles and two assists or 4 solo tackles since he had 10 total....just in case....this isn't really a math question and doesn't require you to answer....it's just an FYI.

rawlingsHOH
9/5/2010, 07:25 PM
Nelson froze up a few times and didn't make a play either. As I recall Demontre even got burned. The two best plays in the secondary are Carter and Jefferson.

He fell down twice right. Nelson struggled also if I saw correctly.

rawlingsHOH
9/5/2010, 07:30 PM
How many of those passes were completed after we allowed the QB to run around in the pocket for 7, 8, 9, 10 seconds before he threw the ball. His eyes were always down field, while he treated the OU pass rush like flys that were slightly annoying him. It all starts up front. You can't expect a player to cover someone 1 on 1 for that long of a period.

That was very significant. Our DL underachieved, I thought, and failed to seal the deal on many close sacks. Credit to the QB.

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 07:31 PM
That was very significant. Our DL underachieved, I thought, and failed to seal the deal on many close sacks. Credit to the QB.

That QB is very talented. If Anderson is able to keep him healthy...they will win some ball games this year.

Leroy Lizard
9/5/2010, 07:46 PM
I know you don't have them....

That's because I don't have the coaching experience that you have. :rolleyes:

landrun
9/5/2010, 08:24 PM
Ponder is far more mobile than you think. He'll be tough to chase down.

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 08:27 PM
That's because I don't have the coaching experience that you have. :rolleyes:

Since I have none....you must really suck....lol

Leroy Lizard
9/5/2010, 08:37 PM
Since I have none....you must really suck....lol

You mean, you're a.... charlatan? :eek:

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 08:40 PM
You mean, you're a.... charlatan? :eek:

I'm not doing this to be famous or for money or personal gain so I'd politely say.....

**** OFF DIP****!

Leroy Lizard
9/5/2010, 09:15 PM
I'm not doing this to be famous or for money or personal gain so I'd politely say.....

**** OFF DIP****!

http://ricecooker.kerbau.com/images_wp_rc/1006/2010_06_struckanerve_kb.jpg

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 09:17 PM
:D

stoops the eternal pimp
9/6/2010, 12:18 AM

I wish I had never seen him drop back from center and skip screen passes on the ground