Rushing 80 OU - 205
Rushing Attempts 38 OU - 45
Yards per rush 2.1 OU - 4.6
Penalties 6-48 OU 7-70
Turnovers 4 OU - 2
Fumbles lost 1 - OU 0
Interceptions thrown 3 OU - 2
Possession 28:44 OU - 31:16

Now that you have that to chew on, let’s get on with it.

THE ‘CAP

I awoke at Noon, prepped and ready for what I expected to be the best day of my week. I chilled around my apartment, and made one of my roommates drive to Boyd and Devries for the Soonerfans.com Tailgate. It being my first time, I walked up sheepishly and took my place in the crowd watching football. Luckily, I met a few really nice posters, and enjoyed some wonderful potato salad (compliments to the chef) while I was there. Thank you all for making gameday that much better!
I showed up at the stadium at 5. As always, the student section, where I sat, was full of sorority girls and drunk guys. Oh well! I settled in and enjoyed the heat until the game started.

1st Quarter

It was great to see DeMarco on the return team again. The game started, and the Sooners rocked and rolled on the first drive. “So far, so good,” I thought. After a punt, we scored again!

OU 14 USU 0

2nd Quarter

Another Sooner Td! Then, USU scored their first points, a FG. “Okay, no more shutout, that’s fine,” I mumbled. Then, the unthinkable: another USU Score. This was the score at half.

OU 21 USU 10

3rd Quarter

I couldn’t pay attention for a while because the people behind me were fighting about who stole whose’ seat and who liked cake the most and blahblahblah. But I definitely (stood) on the edge of my seat when USU scored another TD. After this we scored 10 more points and they threatened again. Despite some defensive successes at the beginning of the half, we let up another TD to make the score
OU 31 USU 24.

4th Quarter

No score, luckily. We held them, they held us, and we ran out the clock inside their red zone. I walked back to my apartment, sat down, and wrote this thing. Hopefully, next week will go better. But, it is nice to start the season with a 1 next to our name!

RATINGS

Now for the meat of the Recap; my player and team ratings.

Here is an explanation of my rankings

Team Ratings (OFF, DEF, SPT)

95-100 MNC Contender

90-94 AP Top 10

80-89 AP Top 25

70-79 Conference Top 3 (Big 12, Big 10, SEC)

60-69 Conference Top 3 (Everyone else)

40-59 Conference Middle

00-39 Bottomdwellers

Player Ratings:

96-100 Heisman Contender

91-95 Position Award Finalist

85-90 All - America 1st team

80-84 All – America 2nd team

75-80 Conference 1st Team (Big 12, Big 10, SEC)

70-74 Conference 1st Team (Everyone else)

65-70 Conference 2nd team (B12, B10, SEC)

60-64 Conference 2nd team (EE)

50-59 Division 1 Starter (B12, B10, SEC)

40-49 Division 1 Starter (Everyone else)

35-40 D1 Back-up

25-34 D2 Starter

00-24 Don’t play football anymore, please

OFFENSE (Team)

Pathetic. That’s what I think. Listen, we had some great plays, we had some terrible ones, but we rarely had good ones. A title contender isn’t built on plays that are either 15 yards or 2. It has to have good plays mixed with great ones. Let’s hope we can raise up our bad plays to good ones, and even elevate our great plays to the commonplace. The line was better than last year, but not great. Once again, either Landry had no time or her had minutes. It needs to be mended, not fixed. Luckily.
Skill players: Help out your stars! DeMarco and Broyles are world-class, but everyone else played mediocre.

Score: 65

DEFENSE (Team)

Wow. A tale of two units, as it were. The Line was fine, I thought. Obviously, we missed McCoy, but the youngsters were alright and our ends were pretty darn good. 80 rush yards ain’t too bad. Linebackers were average, at best. They did their job but nothing more. They seemed to drift on the rush and hold too close to the line on the pass. I attribute this to Borel’s running, but this is no real excuse.

Now, for the secondary. If I were a teacher and they were my class, they’d all be in detention. Except Procter and Carter, but hell, if we didn’t have them, we’d basically have been playing first graders. No one looked at the ball, no one made attempts at swats, and they missed tackles like crazy. Poor doesn’t even come close.

Score: (Front 7: 75, Secondary: 40) 60.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Thank you, Tress Way. I can’t really complain about the punting or coverage teams; however, I can totally complain about the kicking. First off, I like your story, Paddy, but you gotta do better. A crappy PAT and a Knuckling field goal won’t win me over. Our returns were average, although Kenney’s was pretty good!

Score: 60 (75 without the kicking)

PLAYER RATINGS

QB LANDRY JONES (17/36 217 Yds, 2 TD, 2 INT)

Landry, Landry, Landry. Dude. You made some good throws, you made some bad ones, but you didn’t play like Landry Jones. Last year, you were the gunslinger without a conscience. You were confident. It seems to me that you’ve lost the confidence. This is evident in the underthrows and the sacks. You weren’t ready to take the team on your shoulders. I can’t think of another way to say this: get ready. Now. We need you, as a QB, as a leader, and as a mustache.

Score: 50

RB DEMARCO MURRAY(35 att, 217 Yds, 2 TD)

It’s really nice to see him back to (kinda) normal. I think ti hard to place him into a mold as a RB. He isn’t a just speed back, he isn’t a “balanced” back, and he is not just a power back, either. I think, on the other hand, that he can be both a power and speed back based on the situation. He showed up big time, and boy did we need it. His long runs were wonderful, and his short yards were gritty. The moment of the night for me was his reaching out for the first down. His effort was extraordinary on that play.

Score: 93

O-LINE(I know, not a player, but still)

They were good, they were bad. They were alert, they were distracted. They started quick, they started TOO quick. It really was an interesting thing to watch. Like I said earlier, Landry either had hours or milliseconds in the backfield. In terms of run- blocking, I thought that they held a hole, but only for a short time. DeMarco seemed to do much better on straight handoffs as opposed to counters, stutter steps, or the dreaded full-extension handoff. He had some holes, and if the handoff was quick enough, he got there. Overall, I think they’ll be ok. Tonight was a nice experience game for all of them.

Score: 58

WR RYAN BROYLES (9 Rec., 142 Yds, 2 TD)

I love you. I really do. I don’t think I really need to say much more.

Score: 92

WR KENNY STILLS (3, 34)

Well, we saw you. Here’s the thing: I think you tried too hard. It seemed like every time a ball got thrown in front of you, as it is supposed to be, you stopped and dove for it. I feel, and I may be wrong, that in trying to prove yourself, you think you need to be spectacular. The truth is, we already have a spectacular receiver. Just try to be good, the rest will fall into place. But, you made some good catches and ran pretty good routes.

Score: 60

WR CAMERON KENNEY (2, 20)

He played okay. He was neither good nor bad, but his return was pretty good. He certainly showed the athleticism that people were talking about with that hurdle.

Score: 58

DT (Both of them)

Listen, we don’t expect you to be GK. But, we need a little more of a presence. It seemed like they were both trying to be that guy that shreds the blocks and gets through. What we really need is for our DT to make it really tough to run down the middle.

Score: 70

DE’s

Good job. With a less mobile QB, we would have been fine. I’m not worried.

Score: 83

TRAVIS LEWIS

You were you. You were commanding the defense and you tackled well. I really can’t say much more.

Score: 80

TOM WORT

Where were you? You were pretty much absent. You were slow and didn’t hit well. That’s all.

Score: 50

RONNELL LEWIS

You “hammer”ed a few people, and you flew to the ball when you were in. But, when were you in? It seemed like Jefferson had much much more playing time than Lewis. Now, I understand that it is required of a LB to be mobile against a spread offense with a mobile QB, but I wish that Lewis could have seen more time.

Score: 61

TONY JEFFERSON (Thanks Widescreen)

I was curious how you would play. I admit, I didn't know much about you, but I was impressed. Jefferson seemed to be one of the fastest players around the edge and he covered well when he had to. Overall, a solid performance.

Score: 73

JAMELL FLEMING

This is going to be harsh. I mean it. I was thoroughly disgusted by his performances for most of the game. I think he got beat on all but like two of the times he got thrown to. He missed the ball, had his back to the ball, or flat out screwed up his route-following. He was the weakest link in a chain made out of paper links. I attribute much of our demise to his performance, and our next player, as well.

Score: 34

JONATHAN NELSON

I liked you. Last year, you were one of my favorite under-the-radar players. But you showed that you aren’t ready for the big time. You made many of the mistakes that Fleming made, so I won’t repeat them.

Score: 34

DEMONTRE HURST

The shining light. Hurst made a few great plays, and many solid ones. I think we have a good one here.

Score: 75

SAFETIES

I won’t say much; you guys, I thought, were as good as always.

Score: 74.5

TRESS WAY

Thanks to him, the Aggies had pretty bad field position much of the night. I need not say more than to say this: watch the 85 yard punt and you will get a feel for his performance.

Score: 80

OVERALL

The overall ratings are as such:

Team: 62

Players: 66

Hope you enjoyed the Recap, I’ll try to do one each game!

And Boomer Sooner!

yermom
9/5/2010, 01:21 AM
yeah, i kept looking for The Hammer. i guess the gameplan called for nickel and they liked the other guys in coverage better. i didn't seem to see him much on kick coverage either

it was nice to see the pick from Fleming there at the end after they had picked on him all game

Leroy Lizard
9/5/2010, 01:33 AM
yeah, i kept looking for The Hammer. i guess the gameplan called for nickel and they liked the other guys in coverage better. i didn't seem to see him much on kick coverage either

it was nice to see the pick from Fleming there at the end after they had picked on him all game

Yeah, he really needed it.

Widescreen
9/5/2010, 01:44 AM
Tony Jefferson was fantastic tonight. You didn't mention him at all. He may have been our best defensive player.

ccmike9
9/5/2010, 01:45 AM
Tony Jefferson was fantastic tonight. You didn't mention him at all. He may have been our best defensive player.

You're Right! I promised I wouldn't forget anyone....

I'll add him.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/5/2010, 10:40 AM
a couple of things...

like it or not, it takes a few games for new starters to look anywhere near solid. so unless they just look flat out horrible, you have to grade their first game with an asterisk.

i'm a firm believer in the running back makes the OL, however in murray's case i think its the other way around. they form pockets, not holes which suits murray's current running style of cut and go. the OL played about how i would expect given last year's injuries (most of them are probably at or below last years performance level) and graduation. 200 yards is nothing to sneeze at.

the secondary - hurst is a football player, he is going to bust every once in a while, but for the most part he'll be scrappy out there. fleming is an athlete, who knows with that one.

things that bothered me -

1. wort's penalties - honestly, i think this was a 40 point swing. we were in command of this game until then and probably cruising to a 44-3 win.

2. landry is still taking series off - there were some series where our D had just came up huge with a stop. we had to move the ball and put some points on the board. we then went 3 and out with some woeful effort from the QB. if tress way wasn't as good at flipping field position, this would have been a loss.

3. WRs still can't get open - i see a lot of athletes, but outside of broyles, i'm just not seeing any WRs that understand the game enough to get open or be aware that they are open. stills gave up a ton of yards after catch with the dives, him being a freshman he gets a pass though.

4. broyles - it is hard as crap to sustain drives with the way he "turns it on" for 4 plays in a row and then disappears for 15 plays. i agree with stoops that someone else needs to step up, but we also need broyles to play more consistently to sustain drives.

Sooner-N-KS
9/5/2010, 10:51 AM
I thought DM had a Heisman-like showing last night.

cvsooner
9/5/2010, 02:17 PM
JKM is right. We were well in command of the game halfway through the second quarter. Up 21-0. We force and recover a fumble...negated by the overenthusiasm of Wort. I'll chalk that up to inexperience, but then they score 10 quick points on us, once they discovered we could be hurt deep. And we never really got it fixed.

A better performance from the offense would have helped. Thought the line did mostly okay, though we kept getting into third and long and not getting out of it.

Jones is troubling, though. Hot and cold last season and really cold tonight. He started out fairly well and then mostly fell apart. If we wasn't throwing to Broyles, forget it. I think he had, what, over half the catches? Only four other receivers. We really do need a worthwhile tight end...or at least a QB who can recognize one.

Jones clearly has some talent, maybe even a lot of it, but....this game reminded me a lot of the UAB game in '06, and people the next day were really critical of Paul Thompson. He turned out okay.

I think Jones can turn out okay, but Heupel has his hands full.

ccmike9
9/5/2010, 02:18 PM
like it or not, it takes a few games for new starters to look anywhere near solid. so unless they just look flat out horrible, you have to grade their first game with an asterisk.

1. wort's penalties - honestly, i think this was a 40 point swing. we were in command of this game until then and probably cruising to a 44-3 win.

2. landry is still taking series off - there were some series where our D had just came up huge with a stop. we had to move the ball and put some points on the board. we then went 3 and out with some woeful effort from the QB. if tress way wasn't as good at flipping field position, this would have been a loss.

3. WRs still can't get open - i see a lot of athletes, but outside of broyles, i'm just not seeing any WRs that understand the game enough to get open or be aware that they are open. stills gave up a ton of yards after catch with the dives, him being a freshman he gets a pass though.

4. broyles - it is hard as crap to sustain drives with the way he "turns it on" for 4 plays in a row and then disappears for 15 plays. i agree with stoops that someone else needs to step up, but we also need broyles to play more consistently to sustain drives.

Thanks for the input! I did try to take a few performances with a grain of salt, and I rated them higher than I might have later in the season. I, too, noticed that some of our routes were abysmal yesterday. I think part of the Broyles problem is that Landry is now conscious of how much he needs him. He can't throw to him all the time, says the common football knowledge. So instead, he tries to find others to "spread the ball."

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 02:27 PM
Mike...

If your gonna do a recap every week...you might axe the "I woke up yesterday and my boyfriend had a wolverine chubby so I got up and had him drive me to a tailgate and meet drunk dudes".

I'm just sayin....:D

ccmike9
9/5/2010, 02:34 PM
Mike...

If your gonna do a recap every week...you might axe the "I woke up yesterday and my boyfriend had a wolverine chubby so I got up and had him drive me to a tailgate and meet drunk dudes".

I'm just sayin....:D

But I thought we were all about honesty here! Haha I was just trying to humanize it a little bit! I guess you guys are just projecting your gayness on me, huh?

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 02:46 PM
But I thought we were all about honesty here! Haha I was just trying to humanize it a little bit! I guess you guys are just projecting your gayness on me, huh?

Just trying to help Bro. :D

proudsoonergal
9/5/2010, 02:46 PM
....this game reminded me a lot of the UAB game in '06, and people the next day were really critical of Paul Thompson. He turned out okay.

I think Jones can turn out okay, but Heupel has his hands full.

This game reminded me of Baylor 2005. We get up early, coast, let them back in the game with big plays (and stupid mistakes/turnovers), and hold on for dear life at the end. At least we didn't have to go into OT on this one.

Sooner04
9/5/2010, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the recap, ccmike. Really good stuff.

soonerloyal
9/5/2010, 05:30 PM
I got the feeling that Wort was likely to be hyper and not yet under control. Stoops did say about Tom that he wanted to "get him to calm down and see things, understand the schemes and responsibilities and play with some discipline.”

Playing football seems to be Wort's heart's blood. I believe he'll listen well to the criticism & correction given and adjust accordingly. By season's end I expect him to be one of our best on the team.

ccmike9
9/5/2010, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the recap, ccmike. Really good stuff.

Thanks for the kind words! I was wondering if anyone liked it, lol.

Leroy Lizard
9/5/2010, 05:43 PM
I got the feeling that Wort was likely to be hyper and not yet under control. Stoops did say about Tom that he wanted to "get him to calm down and see things, understand the schemes and responsibilities and play with some discipline.”

Playing football seems to be Wort's heart's blood. I believe he'll listen well to the criticism & correction given and adjust accordingly. By season's end I expect him to be one of our best on the team.

Sounds like Wort is Mike Curtis reincarnate.

soonerloyal
9/5/2010, 09:03 PM
Sounds like Wort is Mike Curtis reincarnate.

:rolleyes:

He sounds like an eager kid looking forward to playing a sport he loves, who needs some coaching guidance and a bit of time onfield to adjust.

Sheesh. :mad:

Leroy Lizard
9/5/2010, 09:16 PM
Sheesh. Mike Curtis was a great player.

soonerloyal
9/5/2010, 09:48 PM
Yeah, but he was thought of as purty damn mean, too.

So you meant the good, not the mean? Why didn't ya just say so? :P

rawlingsHOH
9/5/2010, 10:34 PM
People need to slam the damn brakes on Wort and Ronnell. Stop reading the hype machine.

Ronnell has proved a monster on coverage units with KO hits, other than that the two have hardly played yet. Don't treat them like All-Americans until they get there.

Wort was highly enthusiastic, but when a USU lineman got their hands on him, he STAYED blocked. Lot's of work needed there. Lewis is a classic tweener right now. Can't play LB against spread teams, situational pass rusher.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/6/2010, 12:24 AM
spot on rawlings...spot on

soonerloyal
9/6/2010, 07:13 AM
No hype-kissin' here...I think Wort has a lot of great potential, but like I said - I rather expected him to be hyper and unfocused after what Stoops said. I do think he'll get a lot better.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/6/2010, 01:30 PM
it will take a while to see how good Wort is going to be...

starclassic tama
9/6/2010, 01:41 PM
is it just me or does wort look really small? 6'1 225 is decent size for a redshirt freshman, but man he just looks tiny

soonerhubs
9/6/2010, 04:53 PM
Good stuff Mike!

Collier11
9/9/2010, 03:56 PM
Apparently Lewis is gonna play DE more than LB in alot of cases

stoops the eternal pimp
9/9/2010, 03:57 PM
is it just me or does wort look really small? 6'1 225 is decent size for a redshirt freshman, but man he just looks tiny

The OU lbs are typically undersized, which is why they often get tied up when anybody puts a hat on them..

NormanPride
9/9/2010, 04:04 PM
Which is why we rely on our Dline a lot to eat blocks. We were missing Alexander and Macon against USU, so that wasn't working as well...

stoops the eternal pimp
9/9/2010, 04:07 PM
Well you depend more on your DT's for that than your DE's because the other team's center, guards, and fullback get to that 2nd level typically more often....

Nobody depended more on Gerald McCoy than Travis Lewis

Collier11
9/9/2010, 04:11 PM
Thats why we either need Taylor to get healthy or McFarland to realize how talented he is

stoops the eternal pimp
9/9/2010, 04:16 PM
Part of the reason I was excited about R. Lewis playing LB was that he was a big physical backer....And I remember somebody and myself talking about it and saying I sure hope they don't turn him into a full time DE...

NormanPride
9/9/2010, 04:18 PM
He's not... we just have to choose between him and Tony Jefferson against spread teams. Both studs, but who fits better? I don't think it's that he can't play the pass, but that Jefferson and Ibby are better.

Collier11
9/9/2010, 04:19 PM
Well I think most of the reason that Lewis played DE against USU was due to Macon and Alexander being out

stoops the eternal pimp
9/9/2010, 04:21 PM
Yeah, im not saying he is a full time DE...yet...But I wouldn't doubt it eventually happening either

rawlingsHOH
9/9/2010, 04:22 PM
No way Lewis plays linebacker against the spread teams. Or at least anything other than a primary stand up rush role.

Collier, good point about the other DEs being out.

Collier11
9/9/2010, 04:25 PM
Thats why I made it :D

Yea I agree though, against the spread teams we will likely see him down more and against the more run oriented teams he will play LB alot more

stoops the eternal pimp
9/9/2010, 04:29 PM
I just keep thinking if Lewis gains like 2 more lbs, they are going to put his hand on the ground and I would like to see what a big regular sized LBer can do

btk108
9/9/2010, 04:32 PM
Watch the replay where Wort got the 1st personal. During it he overran the QB...came back, overran him again, made a complete circle around the guy before he got in the pile. I think he was just so freakin hyped and didn't get to hit anyone, he had to get rid of that energy somewhere.

Leave it to the coach's to break that pony, he's gonna a good one when he figures out what he's doing.

Collier11
9/9/2010, 04:33 PM
He just has to get it under control, its the same as a DE that goes racing by the QB, once he learns to play under control mixed with playing like a bat outta hell, he will be DYNOMITE

NormanPride
9/9/2010, 04:45 PM
Venables drools over Lewis way too much for him to be a DE anymore.

texaspokieokie
9/9/2010, 06:06 PM
Good recap !!!